Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

We get products in, we process and pack them, lorries collect our products and transport them to supermarket depots.
    Next day it’s on the shelf.

Serious question. Do people wear masks while packing the food. Do you recommend washing the pack / contents before use?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ITman88 wrote: »
    What’s the supply chain?

If you are being serious it's how milk goes from being in a cow to being in cartons in the supermarket and everything in between

Same for all goods

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

nthclare wrote: »
    I wonder why toilet roll is so much of a big deal.
    We all buy the same amount no matter what's happening.

We don't. If you need to self-isolate for weeks and are used to only being at home weekday evenings and weekends, you're gonna need a lot more than usual. Of many things.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

RoryMac wrote: »
    Who decides what's essential??

My company provides IT services to many different types of businesses including the HSE and are involved in projects to get services running in some temporary facilities the HSE are setting up for this, do we close down or is it going to be more thought out than just the government listing off public services that will stay open??

Speculation here but the government surely will. If some part of your business provide essential services to parts of the HSE then that part of your business will be asked to remain open whilst taking all the relevant precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

My company provides IT services to many different types of businesses including the HSE and are involved in projects to get services running in some temporary facilities the HSE are setting up for this, do we close down or is it going to be more thought out than just the government listing off public services that will stay open??

I work in a shoe shop at a guess we will get the chop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lfen wrote: »
    The rumour of lockdown Tuesday is probably just that, a rumour. But realistically, isn’t a lockdown inevitable? Only part that’s probably untrue is that it’s to take effect from Tuesday no?
    It's more likely they'll try to get through to the end of the month and take stock then but the number of cases will dictate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Woolworths (in Australia) have a decent idea to help the vulnerable though at the sem time 7 to 8 AM feels like a mild slap in the face.
    Woolworths will open its doors exclusively to the elderly and people with disabilities for a dedicated shopping hour, after panic buying due to the coronavirus stripped shelves of essentials items.

Most of its supermarkets across the nation will open to the vulnerable only from 7am to 8am, beginning on Tuesday.

Panic buying in recent weeks sparked by the spread of Covid-19 in Australia has seen supermarkets stripped of toilet paper, pasta and tinned and other dried goods.

“The move has been prompted by the unprecedented demand in supermarkets over the past week, which has seen many elderly and vulnerable people in the community missing out on vital items they may need when they shop,” Woolworths announced on Monday.

The managing director, Claire Peters, said despite the retailer’s attempts to quickly restock shelves, many elderly customers had continued to miss out.

“This temporary measure will give them, and those with a disability, the opportunity to shop before our stores officially open - helping them obtain the essential items they need most in a less crowded environment,” Peters said.

Access will be granted if the shopper has a relevant government issued concession card.

Toilet paper - a first world problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Antibodies are the body's response to an attack on the immune system (if we didn't have these, this virus would kill us with ease). Generally, when the body can effectively shut down a virus, your immunity improves so the body knows this in future and it's easier. With this virus, it stays in the system for 37 days, has many mutated strains even only four months in, and is a coronavirus, which as I said we haven't managed to vaccinate against yet, in human history. And the virus has re-emerged in previous sufferers.

I think what the virus has thought me is we mustn't underestimate the average boards.ie poster.
    A lot are incredibly experienced in Virology and the history of contagious diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭RoryMac

The rumour of lockdown Tuesday is probably just that, a rumour. But realistically, isn’t a lockdown inevitable? Only part that’s probably untrue is that it’s to take effect from Tuesday no?

It's coming but maybe not Tuesday, I know through work the HSE are working on getting areas setup to take patients who contract the virus but this won't be completed by Tuesday so can't see it happening until later in the week, maybe Thursday/Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

It will have to come from government making a list. Otherwise every two bit fcuker in a jeep will think they are indispensable to the nation. I'd imagine any business supplying the HSE will make the cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Looking at the Temple Bar street webcam - it's much quieter tonight. Reminds me of the time I went into the centre city at 8pm on Christmas night once. Not a sinner around and I took some great photo's of deserted streets.

https://worldcams.tv/ireland/dublin/temple-bar

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's more likely they'll try to get through to the end of the month and take stock then but the number of cases will dictate that.

The end of the month? 😫 Hopefully not. Surely it makes more sense to do it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Serious question. Do people wear masks while packing the food. Do you recommend washing the pack / contents before use?

Thanks in advance.

The food industry standards are higher than hospital standards. I don’t worry about what’s in the packet, but the packet itself yes. I’ve taken to blasting plastic packaging and bottles with Milton. We are in the high risk group so I try to be super careful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

We realistically don’t know show fast recovery will be I’m afraid

No you don’t understand uk will put pressure on Irish resources because of Ireland’s superior strategy and rush the boarder with Ireland from NI. We must muster forces to protect Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

It's coming but maybe not Tuesday, I know through work the HSE are working on getting areas setup to take patients who contract the virus but this won't be completed by Tuesday so can't see it happening until later in the week, maybe Thursday/Friday

I heard cork is on shutdown from tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

We get products in, we process and pack them, lorries collect our products and transport them to supermarket depots.
    Next day it’s on the shelf.

As in vegetables, meat etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

every single forwarded message i've gotten on coronavirus has been proven to be complete bull**** the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

Seems incredible that a few days ago Leo was delivering a Bowl of Shamrock across the Atlantic, and telling everyone St Patrick's Day is so on.

Patrick's Day parades were cancelled on Monday 9th March, Varadkar gave shamrock to Trump on Thursday 12th

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mr.S wrote: »
    Likewise here, and i'm wondering how long can it continue. My job can pretty much be done 100% remote if required, I don't need a physical office, but at some point...we need to go back, right!?

There are certain roles in my company which are crucial for business continuity and they cannot work from home, so it's a little scary to think what happens in X number of months if those staff aren't able to do their roles.

Yup at some point we need to go back. Dont think I'll ever do five days a week in the office again though

As to your second point ironically the people need to enable the business critical people who need to be in are all wfh

We've a presence in about 80 countries so it's been insane

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Just Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I’ve heard bigger lockdown will be announced at 11 tomorrow. Fairly reliable source so I for one am ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

For any Cork langers I was around the Lough just now. Dry, mild night the place would normally be teeming with joggers, dog walkers etc. Not a sinner around. 2 buses passed. Empty. Great that people are being sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The end of the month? Hopefully not. Surely it makes more sense to do it sooner rather than later.
    The argument is that a full lockdown can't effectively be maintained for more than about 4 weeks as people will begin to stop respecting it. It's time may come at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

froog wrote: »
    every single forwarded message i've gotten on coronavirus has been proven to be complete bull**** the last few weeks.

This thread is also not “immune” to scaremongering, hysteria and hyperbole.

In fairness, it’s not too bad this evening as some of the “experts” seemed to have slinked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Such an announcement might shock but this has already been enacted in several EU countries, Slovakia the latest today.

It would not be as severe as people may think. I don't think they would limit numbers, I think they would say grocery stores and pharmacies open with everything else shut.

Nothing to be afraid of in it even if enacted.

Well technically everything will be closed on Tuesday it's a bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

cloudatlas wrote: »
    No you don’t understand uk will put pressure on Irish resources because of Ireland’s superior strategy and rush the boarder with Ireland from NI. We must muster forces to protect Ireland.

Did your mother/granny never tell you to stay quiet if you have nothing good to say?

Or perhaps the saying "it's better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

Has anyone actually suggested that the UK will rush the border? Wtf does that even mean?

As in vegetables, meat etc?

Everything you buy goes from starting components to assembly/manufacture to distribution to being available to buy

Its supply chain management which deals with that
    It is a fascinating industry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

This is definitely in the top 5 worst St Patrick’s day weekends.
    Eveeeerrrrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hopefully - they think they're a separate land as it is.
    Just Cork?

Seems reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Pubs in the airport open?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement