Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Just back from the pheonix Park. Loads of families and people out walking. Fairly full. Noticeable that it was very much pockets of people or families, all keeping their appropriate distance as well. This was good to see. Only one gang of youngfellas/young ones that were sitting together about 20 of them, but it was noticeable that they were the only ones.
    Hopefully this type of conscious behaviour will continue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I think Varadkar and Simon Harris are doing an outstanding job as they did on Brexit!! I didn't vote for them in last election primarily because of housing. However Leo is an excellent public speaker and when you see him sitting next to Arlene Foster last Saturday he looked like a person in complete control of a surreal situation!!

Think Coveney has a look of control and calmness about him that's impressive. Probably freaking out beneath it but still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Good move closing the pubs tonight, is there a reason they aren't doing the same with restaurants and cafes etc? Surely it would make sense just to close everything at this stage.

Class ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,859 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Need to start giving Simon Harris some credit. He cancelled the Irish v Italy rugby game at a time when it was considered premature and unpopular by many.

He cancelled an influx of the 2nd most infected country in the world.

Yeah, not too much credit for that one.

Lets not forget Paddys Day was still going ahead up until last Monday morning, until Monday afternoon when everyone cancelled themselves because Doctors and Professionals started saying it was utter madness.

Harris has had a poor start and is clearly rattled.

Things started to change when Simon Coveney got involved.

Remember he was the one taking the press conference when Leo was off on his jolly.

So if there is any credit or hope for us I think it should go to that man thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,983 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Route1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea on policies of larger companies closing. Seems completely out of line with government policy to keep large work places open.

Not out of policy. In step with this right wing hell hole government having the back of big business and ‘the right’ whose goal is firstly to keep profits rolling in and ‘hopefully you’ll not see many die’... where right minded people are ‘keep people from dying and hopefully the economy doesn’t take so much of a hit’...

Right thinking and caring people would prefer the country in the shît for four years over one in four families having to bury a loved one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

statesaver wrote: »
    Has no qualifications or experience.

He qualified when he put that clown of a bishop in Waterford in his place.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

trapp wrote: »
    Am I misunderstanding this or did we shutdown schools etc at an earlier phase than Italy and Spain?
    Yes.
    Ireland closed schools at only 70 cases

Italy closed them at approx 2700 positive cases on 4 March
    Spain closed them (initially in Madrid and Basque Country) at approx 1200 cases on 9 March

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

otnomart wrote: »
    The French gov has changed approach in the last few days, first by closing schools and yesterday evening by closing bars, restaurants and non essential shops.

However, as per today, not everyone has got the message on social distancing.

Source: https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/coronavirus-des-rues-et-des-parcs-bondes-a-paris-malgre-les-nouvelles-interdictions-1875511.html

ETKkteeXYAE2PiP?format=jpg&name=large

Heard an interesting interview with Laura Marlow, the Irish Times journalist based in Paris.

She noted after the terrorist attacks in France, they returned defiantly back to the cafes and pubs the very next day saying terrorism won't win.

In a way, this sense of defiance could work against them in their fight against the virus.
    Many will want to stay out and live their lives to show the virus won't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Class ?
    I know some of the restaurants are staying open and doing deliveries noow. Moving with the times

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

paul71 wrote: »
    Probably because restaurants and cafes are not frequented by substance addicted gob****es who refuse to listen the advice of medical professions and government and hence the people in them actually do distance themselves from other customers for the most part.

Rubbish there is no probably about it.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Yes.
    Ireland closed schools at only 70 cases

Italy closed them at approx 2700 positive cases on 4 March
    Spain closed them (initially in Madrid and Basque Country) at approx 1200 cases on 9 March

And should this and the current retrictions help us or is an Italy like situation inevitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

zvone wrote: »
    This is how it look like in Italy....
    This "40 new cases" a misleading number. How many tests a done? I bet there is 100 new cases just in Temple bar but they don't know jet..
    Desperate times call for desperate measures.

It’s not misleading. It’s the confirmed cases. Nobody is denying that there are probably way more in reality. Extra testing facilities are gearing up to increase testing and widen the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

igCorcaigh wrote: »

That's why our grass is so green, bloody corona virus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

spookwoman wrote: »
    I know some of the restaurants are staying open and doing deliveries noow. Moving with the times
    many pubs that offer food could do the same, go with the delivery companies or meals on wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Just got clamped cos I parked on a street at the wrong time , it was allowed there up until the last time I parked there two months ago ! those guys are unreal ! No camaraderie

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Whats the harm in laying off it for a few weeks? really?[/quote

Do you not think that's up to each individual. Just cos there's a virus doesn't give us the right to preach at others.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭threeball

The French gov has changed approach in the last few days, first by closing schools and yesterday evening by closing bars, restaurants and non essential shops.

However, as per today, not everyone has got the message on social distancing.

Source: https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/coronavirus-des-rues-et-des-parcs-bondes-a-paris-malgre-les-nouvelles-interdictions-1875511.html

ETKkteeXYAE2PiP?format=jpg&name=large

Just watched belfast on the BBC news. The city centre was hopping. We can do what we like down here but if they take that attitude we're going to find it harder to control things. All the thicks will run across the border tuesday for a few scoops too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Hermy wrote: »
    He qualified when he put that clown of a bishop in Waterford in his place.

WTF ??????

Amazing, no wonder we have fools in government with people voting for the likes of Harris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Class ?

I agree. Close all the pubs, chippers, takeaways, snooker halls, bingo, arcades, GAA clubhouses, pitch and putts and pigeon races.

Leave alone the wine bars, private members clubs, bistros, brasseries, fusion cuisine lofts, tennis, rugby, yacht and golf clubs and seal off Howth at Sutton Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

trapp wrote: »
    And should this and the current retrictions help us or is an Italy like situation inevitable?

Nobody knows. I'm hopeful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

For anyone interested and remembers the elderly couple from Northampton in the UK that were on the cruise ship in Japan and contracted Covid 19, are both now recovered and home in the UK.

Great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

glasso wrote: »
    mmm. and they always said that the Dutch themselves didn't use coffeeshops much...
    They buy and then go home. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Hospitals need power everybody needs food and water and medical supplies.

40 new cases today if that holds true for Monday and Tuesday that is our cases doubled in 3 days.

For anybody losing their jobs over this I feel very sorry for them but others that have to go into work we feel terrified we will bring this crap home to elderly family members.

This is not nice for anybody I only hope we do not get looting like in the snow two years ago as this will make things ten times worse.

The only business that can realistically close are those relating to tourism and hospitality, beauty and hairdressing etc.

The country is now overly dependant on all the utilities and services provided to it ie. broadband, telecommunications, electricity and gas etc, healthcare, agriculture, security and Gardai, these are critical to society in Ireland and employ a massive percentage of the workforce.

And this is why I feel so sorry for those people who were laid off, they will struggle. And it’s very unlikely banks will defer mortgages etc. Not when so many people remain in employment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

jobeenfitz wrote: »

Whats the harm in laying off it for a few weeks? really?[/quote

Do you not think that's up to each individual. Just cos there's a virus doesn't give us the right to preach at others.

If I was preaching at them I would would be asking them to stop drinking. I am not, I don't give a **** about their addiction let them destroy themselves. I do care about the consequences of their actions in terms of spreading a deadly virus, and thats now sorted by the pub closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭threeball

Tootsie_1 wrote: »

Well one of those 5 has it too and I hope its not one of the carers or we're looking at a superspreader to the elderly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

ITman88 wrote: »
    Exactly. At 1st glance yes the Brits are taking a ridiculous approach.
    But looking at the issue from a future point of view we don’t know which approach is right until next year.
    Come next January we can look at Ireland vs England and see who made the right call

Bullshít. We know the Brits have it wrong. And this isn't an Irish v Brit thing don't be so vacuous and childish.

The Chinese have shown the way, it's a costly approach in terms of the economy but it works and in Europe different countries end up adopting that approach but incredibly the Brits think they know better, they don't.

Hard on the heels of the stupidity of Brexit and then the enormous stupidity of following through and compounding the initial error re Brexit they then end up with a buffoon as their Prime Minister, and now this incredibly stupid motivated by ignorant greed herd immunity so called strategy.

We can safely say with their stupid approach to this crisis that per head of population the Brits have become the stupidest nation on the planet over recent years. Every country has it's fair share of morons but in the UK it appears the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

It's not about being anti Brit or pro Brit or any of that crap, it's about calling out the stupidity of their so called strategy which they think might save them some money but in the long run won't and will probably cost more lives than if they do what the rest of the world it appears are attempting to implement.

I wouldn't give a damn what they did however unfortunately for us they're next door to us and also they have influence over part of the North of this island. All we can do is try to talk some sense into them up in The North and hope they do the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Uurrggh he's insufferable... Everything has to come back to him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement