Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,984 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are all over in the drink aisle killing each other.:D

Drink isle wars, that could be a good tv show with the football and regular sport nixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its more your stance of revoking every license of pubs that remain open, many of them in rural areas that will never recover from a loss of revenue, that I was picking up on.

I dunno about you but it's a pretty easy decision for me to put the health of the nation over a few businesses

statesaver wrote: »
    BS.

There are 169 cases in this country, if it was 1690 cases and xx deaths i might believe that.

169 tested and confirmed cases. Real number much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,967 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

For anyone interested and remembers the elderly couple from Northampton in the UK that were on the cruise ship in Japan and contracted Covid 19, are both now recovered and home in the UK.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I wonder if FG's logic for appointing him was his rare condition.

ffs, the guy wouldn't get a managers job in Supermacs.
    How the fcuk he got the MoH job is worrying.

The guy started in FG making tea. Has no qualifications or experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I agree what makes you think I don't?

Sorry this is moving so fast.
    No offence intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Need to start giving Simon Harris some credit. He cancelled the Irish v Italy rugby game at a time when it was considered premature and unpopular by many.

It should be made very clear to every publican now that any lock in, however small, means their license will be automatically cancelled and they never can apply for another one.

Also anyone found on a licensed premises who is in receipt of the emergency job seekers should have it stopped immediately and anyone working should be severely fined.

Time to get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Good move closing the pubs tonight, is there a reason they aren't doing the same with restaurants and cafes etc? Surely it would make sense just to close everything at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I wonder how Kerry's finest are coping.

Thats the hot take weve really been missing what does Danny think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

2ndcoming wrote: »
    All these statistics comparing Ireland's populations to Italy's are misleading. Comparing us to Lombardy would show a far truer picture.

I've been in since work on Thursday and i'm taking it seriously, but you can't really compare the two. If you take Lombardy out Italy's stats are very different. The virus was allowed propagate there in a very touchy feely culture with an old population and 10m people in a place not much bigger than Leinster. We don't have a Lombardy thankfully.
    Exactly.
    Geography and age profile are huge factors in the effects of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

They may rethink the get out a walk statements, the beach was absolutely thronged today. Everybody's going to the same public spots because nothing's opened

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Equivalent of 500 new cases if we had a population the size of Italy

But we don't so why be so negative

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Im scared. Really scared.

Don't be.

A lot of people are going to get the virus but most of us who do will live to tell the tale.

This doctor for instance who got the virus and was well enough to be able to tell RTE about it shortly afterwards.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

For anyone interested and remembers the elderly couple from Northampton in the UK that were on the cruise ship in Japan and contracted Covid 19, are both now recovered and home in the UK.

Yes, I was watching his blog on youtube. They both contracted pneumonia but were well looked after in a Japanese hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Beach in Lanzarote not a soul.

Talk about a misleading video. If you were to just watch that live video you'd think nothing was happening but there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It would appear Blanchardstown is shutting down tomorrow evening and staying shut.

Glad I got there today so! :eek: I stayed in the car though. Hubs shopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

rob316 wrote: »
    But we don't so why be so negative

Because if we don't take drastic action very very soon, we will be in the same boat as Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anymore recovered in Ireland. Just heard of the one case in cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭saabsaab

How probable will it be that martial law is declared?

"The current Irish Constitution allows for martial law if the government declares a state of emergency, however capital punishment is prohibited in all circumstances, including a state of emergency."

Seems likely we'll declare a state of emergency based on the prep going on. Any suggestions on top tips for surviving martial law? I guess don't answer back is up there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law#Ireland

I know Capital punishment is not allowed but that won't mean that somebody couldn't be shot to enforce the law. Last Martial law here 1920.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

They may rethink the get out a walk statements, the beach was absolutely thronged today. Everybody's going to the same public spots because nothing's opened

Better out in the open air than crammed together in coffee shops/pubs/restaurants/cinemas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Turtwig wrote: »
    If you name the town then just like the mass panic you saw for the bog rolls, there'd be a bigger mass exodus out of the infected area spreading the infection elsewhere.

It’s characters drifting in and going out of places we have to worry about. We have no protocol right now to stop the spread. They're no guard checkpoints. We already in panic mode.

If the infections are merely occurring in a few counties, then you can lockdown them now, and prevent a further breakout to the rest of the country.

I think people have the right to know if they're a cluster of people in one area affected. Imagine getting the virus next week and the government could have told people stay away from there!  Citizens are blind to where the infection hotspots are in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

revelman wrote: »
    Portugal closing its border with Spain from tomorrow until Easter

https://twitter.com/lucasrohan/status/1239260315205939200

And just to think we were debating on this forum ten days again if it was possible to close a border in the EU. Looks like nearly all of them will be closed next week. The power of the exponent.

10 days ago......What will 10 days from here look like. :eek:
    It is completely possible to have border checks / controls and it occurs regularly in Europe due to migrant crisis mainly.
    People get pulled off the bus going from Dublin to Holyhead despite the common travel area. I wonder how many borders people have actually crossed.

It's not all Ryanair and lollipops out in mainland Europe.

"A Schengen state is permitted to reinstate border controls with another Schengen country for a short period where there is a serious threat to that state's "public policy or internal security" or when the "control of an external border is no longer ensured due to exceptional circumstances"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheng...order_controls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

glasso wrote: »
    gobshytes . where are you getting that?

they won't be so blaise when mammy is gasping for breadth and can't do their washing at the weekend.

My cousin in NUI was offered more hours for the coming week in LIDL but "wasn't arsed" because of the house parties near campus this coming week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Top countries done now
    China Italy Iran S Korea Spain Germany France USA Switzerland UK Norway Netherlands Sweden Belgium Denmark Austria
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nu5mIBHYoW1cYgb5JvvjyfLoyKHBG2T8ZRvTK7o80L0/edit?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Anyone have any idea on policies of larger companies closing. Seems completely out of line with government policy to keep large work places open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I'm teaching in the UK but was due to finish up when schools break for Easter and move home to Ireland. I had flights booked for April 4th. Looking at finishing up this week and flying home before Thursday before borders are closed. Feels very surreal to have to write an email to the school's leadership team explaining all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Am calm for now, but fearful just the same.

Our trajectory is only going one way unless within a week or so there is full lockdown. We are ahead of the posse now, and need to maximise that benefit.

But sure who am I talking to.

You are talking rubbish........FG are doing a good job, you have no proof to be peddling your scare mongering........We are still miles behind other countries, with the schools closing and hopefully border and airports early next week, we should be in a good position to keep this at bay,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Beach in Lanzarote not a soul.

Lahinch and Fanore were packed, people everywhere walking the roads and the promenade in Lahinch was as if it was a heatwave.

I just drove past and found a solitary headland and sat on the rocks and watched the ocean, ate a hang sammich and fcked off home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Going to be carnage at the dole offices - how are people temporarily laid off going to get money? They can't rock up to social welfare offices, they'll be locked down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement