Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoronaVirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

sheroman01 wrote:
    We had to cancel our trip to Lisbon. Return flight is tomorrow. Want to change the date to June (that’s fine) but also want to change the origin from Lisbon>Dublin to Birmingham>Dublin. Aer Lingus will not allow this. Nor will they offer us a full refund. We are still willing to fly with them! They lose no money! Morons.

June is still very close. I'd be looking for the Autumn rather than the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭acequion

Quick question. Was due to go to the Algarve for a few days at Easter. At present Portugal haven't closed their borders and flights are still officially operating.

If they declare a state of emergency [that's expected] and if the EU close borders, though Ireland is not in the Schengen zone, does that mean we'll get refunded. Booked to fly ryanair and insured by VHI multitrip.

The hotel is offering credit to come out at a later time. Does that mean multi trip won't cover if we opt to cancel the hotel?

Thanks to anyone who might know. Been in denial and was sooooo hoping for a miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ironicname wrote: »
    Can't blame them in fairness.

They are gaming their customers, not a good corporate look in the middle of a crisis like this.

acequion wrote:
    If they declare a state of emergency [that's expected] and if the EU close borders, though Ireland is not in the Schengen zone, does that mean we'll get refunded. Booked to fly ryanair and insured by VHI multitrip.

It's likely we will ban EU travel for 30 days in the next day or two. The Irish government has said only essential travel & your insurance should pay out on that alone imo. Also I think Ryanair is offering flight rescheduling. I know Aer Lingus are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭acequion

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's likely we will ban EU travel for 30 days in the next day or two. The Irish government has said only essential travel & your insurance should pay out on that alone imo. Also I think Ryanair is offering flight rescheduling. I know Aer Lingus are

Thanks Sleeper12 and yes they are offering rescheduling. But exorbitant fares at mo for the October school break. Same with my hotel. At the moment everything would cost double so sod that! Especially with a recession most likely on the way.

So my preferred option right now would be a refund and review everything at a later, calmer time.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote:
    So my preferred option right now would be a refund and review everything at a later, calmer time.

If Leo goes with the 30 day travel ban then you get refund without going near your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

spurious wrote: »
    The numbers are miniscule.
    I will be off to Spain end of next month. Looking forward to it.

I trust you didn’t get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I trust you didn’t get

"The numbers are miniscule"

Jesus remember when we all thought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We're due to go London next week with Ryanair. Trying to reschedule a pre-paid hotel but the flights are currently still standing. Ryanair has indicated plans to ground it's European flights by the 24th but probably won't include key routes such as london. And the 30 day travel ban, if enforced, does not include England as far as I understand. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Insurance should pay out, I totally agree. Ours didn't!! (Insureandgo annual multitrip) Government directives were an exclusion on our policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

I have two upcoming flights booked , one with Aer Lingus , the other Ryanair .
    Aer Lingus have emailed me offering a voucher for the full cost plus 10% which I am happy to take .
    Ryanair , however , want me to reschedule , which I am unable to do.
    Would I be better off waiting until they cancel the flight and then seek a refund ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Ryanair , however , want me to reschedule , which I am unable to do.
    Would I be better off waiting until they cancel the flight and then seek a refund ?
    I'm waiting for cancellations!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Taylor365 wrote: »

Same here. I’ve nine flights booked over the next two and a bit weeks with four different airlines. Only two cancelled so far.

One (Ryanair) refunded to bank account and the other (Wizz Air) cancelled and gave me 120% credit to use. Then away from the main body of the mail in a sidebar another paragraph saying they’ll be in touch in two weeks offering refund which I thought was quite sneaky.

It’s money I spent months ago so long since budgeted for but I will take cash over vouchers or date changes as I probably won’t be booking any flights for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I’m in the same boat. Waiting in ryanair to cancel my upcoming flights.

Due to fly to Dublin from Germany with my partner and baby but we are obviously not doing that now. I was just going to travel myself as my parents are home alone with little help around but I can’t do that as the German government have banned travel from outside the Schengen block of countries of which Ireland is one of them!!!

So if I fly to Ireland, I can’t come back!!! Hope that the flights are just cancelled altogether as it’s hard to predict when to reschedule them for. Looking at first week of July at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I’m in the same boat. Waiting in ryanair to cancel my upcoming flights.

Due to fly to Dublin from Germany with my partner and baby but we are obviously not doing that now. I was just going to travel myself as my parents are home alone with little help around but I can’t do that as the German government have banned travel from outside the Schengen block of countries of which Ireland is one of them!!!

So if I fly to Ireland, I can’t come back!!! Hope that the flights are just cancelled altogether as it’s hard to predict when to reschedule them for. Looking at first week of July at the moment

Tough situation for you. At least my flights were all leisure. All the best.

Taylor365 wrote: »

Ours (with Ryanair) were cancelled for Tenerife next Tuesday thank God. Have to fill out an online form to claim refund, which I think is just onerous as wouldn't work for me. Kept telling me reservation number was incorrect, which I checked several times!! Anyone else have trouble?
    Aer lingus have offered us the vouchers as mentioned for our flights in May but no t&C's relating to same...so hard to know...

Tippgirl74 wrote: »
    Ours (with Ryanair) were cancelled for Tenerife next Tuesday thank God. Have to fill out an online form to claim refund, which I think is just onerous as wouldn't work for me. Kept telling me reservation number was incorrect, which I checked several times!! Anyone else have trouble?
    Aer lingus have offered us the vouchers as mentioned for our flights in May but no t&C's relating to same...so hard to know...

They are saying a bit further back in this thread that the best time to try is about 3.00am. Not joking.

elperello wrote: »
    They are saying a bit further back in this thread that the best time to try is about 3.00am. Not joking.

Many thanks but I hope to be sleeping soundly at that hour!! I'm bad enough at the moment trying to deal with all this upheaval without losing sleep too!! Finding it kinda hard to stay grounded and positive and not get caught up in all the anxiety....

But thanks for the tip 😊ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We're flying to Florida the first 2 weeks in August. Got an email yesterday to say the holiday has to be paid in full by April 23rd, don't really want to pay a further 4k on top of the 1k deposit we already paid with such uncertainty and especially with America not even letting Irish people in at the moment.
    It took China 3 months with very harsh methods to stop the virus I can't see how America will have it kick by the summer.
    Really don't know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Ms2011 wrote: »
    We're flying to Florida the first 2 weeks in August. Got an email yesterday to say the holiday has to be paid in full by April 23rd, don't really want to pay a further 4k on top of the 1k deposit we already paid with such uncertainty and especially with America not even letting Irish people in at the moment.
    It took China 3 months with very harsh methods to stop the virus I can't see how America will have it kick by the summer.
    Really don't know what to do!

I'm basically in the exact same situation, I'm paying it and then claiming from insurance if/when it comes to it I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

hots wrote: »
    I'm basically in the exact same situation, I'm paying it and then claiming from insurance if/when it comes to it I think.

I'm going to ring in awhile and suss them out to see if there is any flexibility but I'll probably do the same as you in the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So my father in law (US Citizen) is in Sicily, and has been there for a few weeks. He's been self isolating, as it's pretty bad over there, and seems symptom free. He wants to leave soon, but with how bad it looks like it might get in the US, we were thinking he could come here and stay with us (and continue to self isolate). While we haven't been self isolating, we are keeping any contact with people to an absolute minimum.

Are there restrictions on flights from Sicily to Ireland, and is there anything we need to do before he gets here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Kiith wrote: »
    So my father in law (US Citizen) is in Sicily, and has been there for a few weeks. He's been self isolating, as it's pretty bad over there, and seems symptom free. He wants to leave soon, but with how bad it looks like it might get in the US, we were thinking he could come here and stay with us (and continue to self isolate). While we haven't been self isolating, we are keeping any contact with people to an absolute minimum.

Are there restrictions on flights from Sicily to Ireland, and is there anything we need to do before he gets here?

Airports in Italy are shut as far as I know? Sicily should be included in the national lock down in Italy so it's not self isolation, it's quarantine. Really doubt he'd be allowed to fly and even if he could there are no flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Kiith wrote: »

He should contact the American Embassy.

Source for info below: https://www.visitsicily.info/en/coronavirus-disease-info-about-current-situation-in-sicily/

"Travelling to and from Sicily is not allowed. Only foreign tourists and Italians who must return to their home-places, are allowed to travel."

"Air transport is guaranteed through two daily flights Rome- Catania and Rome-Palermo and vice versa just for exigences of territorial continuity. All other domestic and international flights are suspended."

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bingoo1

Booked a holiday in Portugal with an online company (aerlingus flights, hotel and transfers) , going 30th June for a week with three family members. I paid a deposit of €550 in mid-Feb. Next installment for €700 is due on Monday next. . Can't get through to the online company. If I wanted to could I just cancel my debit card …. or am I liable to pay for the full flights of €1,000? Should I go ahead with the holiday and continue with the installments. (Total price of the holiday is €2,370) Any advice would be welcome by this unseasoned traveler.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Tippgirl74 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has got through to ebookers regarding cancelling/modifying a non-refundable booking... seeing as this is uncharted territory thought I might give it a try? Tried calling yesterday and today with no success... didn't try too hard given the nature of the query!!!

Really thought we were covered re. non refundable bookings with insureandgo but this was not the case.

Ebookers just emailed to give me the option to cancel a 'non-refundable booking' I had made for a hotel in Spain mid April. I hadn't requested this, so really pleased. They say I should have a refund within 30 days.

Bingoo1 wrote: »
    Booked a holiday in Portugal with an online company (aerlingus flights, hotel and transfers) , going 30th June for a week with three family members. I paid a deposit of €550 in mid-Feb. Next installment for €700 is due on Monday next. . Can't get through to the online company. If I wanted to could I just cancel my debit card …. or am I liable to pay for the full flights of €1,000? Should I go ahead with the holiday and continue with the installments. (Total price of the holiday is €2,370) Any advice would be welcome by this unseasoned traveler.

First - read the terms and conditions on your contract ie. booking.
    Second - keep trying to contact company, keep a log of attempts.
    Third - check your travel insurance.

If it was me I would be slow to part with any more money until the company clarified the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Ryanair offered refund for my flight today.

Ebookers just emailed to give me the option to cancel a 'non-refundable booking' I had made for a hotel in Spain mid April. I hadn't requested this, so really pleased. They say I should have a refund within 30 days.

I also had a great experience with ebookers. They cancelled our non refundable booking in Tenerife and refunded it in full. Will def be giving them my business again!!

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I'm going to ring in awhile and suss them out to see if there is any flexibility but I'll probably do the same as you in the end.

I would be double checking that insurance covers this. We found out the hard way that insureandgo annual multitrip gold dies not cover this,!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement