Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoronaVirus

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've got a holiday booked for the Isle of Man in April and it's (currently) one of the places with zero recorded cases. It'd actually be a safer destination. No chance that I'd risk going but anyone else booked a destination with zero cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Disaster of a situation. Flying out with Ryanair tomorrow to Lisbon but flying home with Aer Lingus. Hotel booked with Booking.com.

Booking.com were very helpful. On the phone for 20 mins but they waived the cancellation fee (with agreement from the hotel). We did pay 30% deposit so not sure if we’ll get that back. Have sent an email but worst case it’s not too bad.

Switching the flights is too much of an unknown for us. Not sure what dates to switch it to. So we will cut out loses probably, as we have to make a call by tomorrow morning. Did try calling them but was on hold for 1 hour.

Aer Lingus, we have more time to decide what to do. Will call tomorrow and hope for a travel voucher/credit reimbursement. Long shot but they can be accommodating sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

If travel insurance no longer covers any travel or claims because of government directives, would it not be the case that the premium paid should be refundable?

I bought travel insurance (Insureandgo) in January on the same day I booked my holiday to Spain in April and it covers nothing now, neither if I went or cancelled. Or is it just tough luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Invaluable thread.

Took advantage of news of aer lingus waiving change fees to switch french flights from may to september.
    And a new travel insurance policy to cover the new dates.
    Might do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

sheroman01 wrote:
    Switching the flights is too much of an unknown for us. Not sure what dates to switch it to. So we will cut out loses probably, as we have to make a call by tomorrow morning. Did try calling them but was on hold for 1 hour.

With it being free of charge to switch, I'd say switch to September/October and hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Where are peoples flights getting cancelled for?

Its still OK to travel to places that aren't so much affected right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,450 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

No, don't travel anywhere. Bar somewhere like the Aran Islands!

Personally, I think we will see a border closure within the next week so all flights will have to be reimbursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

ixoy wrote: »
    I've got a holiday booked for the Isle of Man in April and it's (currently) one of the places with zero recorded cases. It'd actually be a safer destination. No chance that I'd risk going but anyone else booked a destination with zero cases?
    the issue with places with zero or few cases is that people will move there and then cases will start popping up.
    and those areas have only a few hospital beds, based on their own population

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

We are booked to fly out to tenerife the 3rd of may
    Booked tru travel republic ,final payment is in April
    Dunno what to do
    Booked it in January and didn't get travel insurance
    Flights are with aerlingus
    Wait and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

I’ve a trip to Bali in April 3rd..I really don’t know what to do.
    If I try to look up what’s happening it’s just daily mail articles..
    Would anyone here chance it?our plan is to avoid all the party areas

• Advertisement

Where are peoples flights getting cancelled for?

Its still OK to travel to places that aren't so much affected right?

This is the Uk, but I’d imagine that the same applies here. https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1254964/Coronavirus-flights-cancelled-routes-easyjet-ryanair-british-airways-jet2-latest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

skinny90 wrote: »

It’s likely our borders will be closed at some point and all flights grounded. Your holiday isn’t happening

• Registered Users Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to Peru at the end of March. I was reassured by posters that I had nothing to worry about. It's a European & Chinese problem. I don't think we had any confirmed cases in ireland yet.

Peru has stopped all travel from Europe.

I'm not writing to point out that these posters were wrong because it seemed logical advice at the time. The reason for this post is to show how quickly the landscape has changed. What seemed highly unlikely has happened.

Had a call from the travel agent in the UK and they are rescheduling it for the Autumn. The only thing I will loose out on are my flights to & from London and one nights hotel stay. Its a relief because we wouldn't have known if we were going right up until the day of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

RoYoBo wrote: »
    If travel insurance no longer covers any travel or claims because of government directives, would it not be the case that the premium paid should be refundable?

I bought travel insurance (Insureandgo) in January on the same day I booked my holiday to Spain in April and it covers nothing now, neither if I went or cancelled. Or is it just tough luck?
    If it's not covering what your policy said at the time that would be a breach of contract (unless they have sneaky terms allowing them to back out).

I'd triple check with them on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

MadYaker wrote: »
    It’s likely our borders will be closed at some point and all flights grounded. Your holiday isn’t happening

Is there something I can do now interms of changing the dates or getting a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to Peru at the end of March. I was reassured by posters that I had nothing to worry about. It's a European & Chinese problem. I don't think we had any confirmed cases in ireland yet.

Peru has stopped all travel from Europe.

I'm not writing to point out that these posters were wrong because it seemed logical advice at the time. The reason for this post is to show how quickly the landscape has changed. What seemed highly unlikely has happened.

Had a call from the travel agent in the UK and they are rescheduling it for the Autumn. The only thing I will loose out on are my flights to & from London and one nights hotel stay. Its a relief because we wouldn't have known if we were going right up until the day of travel.

Bad luck but at least you are re-scheduled.

Don't forget you can get the airport taxes refunded for the London flights and it may be worth checking the T&Cs for the hotel booking. Possible free cancellation.

Is there something I can do now interms of changing the dates or getting a refund

A lot of people seem to have had success pushing dates out into the future so maybe contact hotels / airlines and try that? Were in uncharted territory here and anything can happen, lots of airlines and hotels will go bust over this but best to try and reschedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭acequion

MadYaker wrote: »

How do you know that for certain?? How can you tell anybody that something will or will not happen? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Personally, if I were in limbo I'd be going looking for information from more informed sources.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It doesn't really matter whether it's in Bali or not. It's in Ireland, and it's in wherever you'll be flying through, so you shouldn't go.

The thread has a lot of people asking if they'll get Coronavirus in X place. Little thought for you bringing it with you.

A group of Italians went on holidays to India right when this started in Italy, they thought no way they have it. All tested positive in India.

As someone up there said things are changing v fast so no one can tell what things will be like in April.

If you do go you should stick to the holiday hot spots. Those places will unfortunately get hit either way. Small remote places could stay safe unless someone goes there with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

daheff wrote: »
    If it's not covering what your policy said at the time that would be a breach of contract (unless they have sneaky terms allowing them to back out).

I'd triple check with them on this.

I intend to check if there's a possibility to transfer it to a later date,or even next year. But the T&Cs have pandemic as an exclusion AFAIVs face as I can make out from the convoluted policy. I can understand and accept that the accommodation deposit is likely a loss, as the provider actually held a booking for us as agreed, and I might get get something from the flights.

The insurance, however, took my money on the basis that I would be covering these risks, which they now back track on, since I am neither covered for going or cancelling. It's really true what I've always said about insurance companies and their products: you only find out how good/bad they are when you actually need to claim.

Not going anyway,as it stands. Not worth the risk, which is clearly all my own now regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭greep

Caranica wrote: »
    My hotel in Italy was non refundable booked through booking.com but they were able to force a free cancellation when the travel bans came in. So it's a case of wait and see I'd say.
    Thanks
    Did you contact the hotel via Booking.com messages/chat?
    I wasn't sure I needed to contact Booking.com or the actual hotel...

After you send a mail, did you have to wait long for the confirmation & actual refund, from the moment you send a request?

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    We are booked to fly out to tenerife the 3rd of may
    Booked tru travel republic ,final payment is in April
    Dunno what to do
    Booked it in January and didn't get travel insurance
    Flights are with aerlingus
    Wait and see?

Spain is being locked down. You won't have to worry about making a decision. It's been done for you

Spain is being locked down. You won't have to worry about making a decision. It's been done for you

Only for 14 days. It’s still a waiting game as the virus is such an unknown illness.

acequion wrote: »
    How do you know that for certain?? How can you tell anybody that something will or will not happen? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Personally, if I were in limbo I'd be going looking for information from more informed sources.

Where did I say I knew it for certain? I said its likely, and it is. Many european countries have already done it and I don't see why we wouldn't follow. Anyone considering going anywhere at the moment is nuts imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Only for 14 days. It’s still a waiting game as the virus is such an unknown illness.

It is not a waiting game. This is how the virus works:

Basically it doubles every few days. Suddenly in like 3 days the hospitals go from being busy but ok to turning operating theatres into ICUs, turning away anyone over 65 to die and anyone with any small problem - the same.

When the hospitals have beds, the mortality rate is 0.5-1%. When they don't the mortality rate is 5% to 10%. This is what's happening in Italy and Spain.

Theres a 2 week lag time and its exponential. When you lock down completely you've 2 weeks of exponential growth before it even starts getting better, and that's if you lock down ala Wuhan. Please note Wuhan locked down at 400 cases per day with a high level of testing.

Most of Europe and the US is past the point at which Wuhan locked down. This will last a very long time. The only things that will help are an effective treatment and a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭greep

Thanks - I wonder if I still have to get in touch with a hotel ahead of your planned arrival & request a cancellation or will be somehow automatic... because of the lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

greep wrote: »
    Thanks - I wonder if I still have to get in touch with a hotel ahead of your planned arrival & request a cancellation or will be somehow automatic... because of the lockdown?

I'd get in touch and ask them, if its refundable - cancel. One less thing to claim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    You'll probably find all insures will have similar clauses for government directives and pandemics

VHI Multitrip don't, see their very clear advice on claims ref Covi-19 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

No non US nationals allowed to fly to the US from UK & Ireland from midnight Monday. Just announced by Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

I am currently in Fuerteventura, everything is quite, a real end of word feel to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement