Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoronaVirus

Options

Comments

Are travellers being checked and quarantined if necessary on arrival in Ireland?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

The sceptic in me thinks that they know they might have to cancel many flights in the coming weeks, better people change dates now than them having to issue refunds.

Good point actually. Our flight isn't for a couple of weeks, so we can always hold tight for now and see if it gets cancelled. I'd much prefer a refund tbh. Getting married later this year and wasn't intending this to be our honeymoon destination :P And only have so much annual leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭wijam

Trying to get through to RyanAir the last few hours to un-check-in my flight for tomorrow and next week, their number is now no longer accepting calls, on to their chat the last hour and no response

Keep the fingers crossed that I can get them unchecked these evening and rescheduled but doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

wijam wrote: »
    Trying to get through to RyanAir the last few hours to un-check-in my flight for tomorrow and next week, their number is now no longer accepting calls, on to their chat the last hour and no response

Keep the fingers crossed that I can get them unchecked these evening and rescheduled but doubtful

I wonder if we are unable to get through, will we have a case to retrospectively get the bookings moved?

I cannot get through to booking.com either. trying to contact the accommodation directly and they are not exactly playing ball.

Was meant to be travelling tomorrow so only have a small window

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just my fecking luck.....after I chose not to take my flight to Berlin this afternoon I just receive an email from Ryanair now that I can change my flights for free, but I can't as my flight already left over three hours ago so it's tough luck.

• Advertisement

That answers that question so

Denmark just announced that they are closing their borders tomorrow.

Sorry to be very narrow-minded, but I assume that that means by flights & accommodation that are for tomorrow onwards would be refunded / allowed to be changed for a future date, irrespective of when I do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

FitzShane wrote: »
    Has anyone been on a Ryanair flight recently? Are they disinfecting surfaces before / after each flight or just leaving it to chance?

Obviously I will be bringing my own wipes to do it anyways, but would be nice to know that they are trying to help some bit. But it is Ryanair....

they "have enhanced overnight cleaning with every aircraft interior being treated with hospital-grade disinfectant."
    "fleet is fitted with extremely efficient HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Arrestors) filters, which remove particles in the air, down to the size of microscopic bacteria and virus clusters (with an efficiency of better than 99.99%)."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

FitzShane wrote:
    Sorry to be very narrow-minded, but I assume that that means by flights & accommodation that are for tomorrow onwards would be refunded / allowed to be changed for a future date, irrespective of when I do it?

I'd email the hotel asking for a refund, and try airline too. I'd imagine most hotels at least, especially independent ones, are refunding as you'll come back to them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

If you don't yet have travel insurance, get one until it is still possible.

From the Guardian

"Many of Britain’s biggest insurers are pulling down the shutters to new travel insurance customers, with Aviva, Direct Line and Churchill the latest to stop selling policies as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

Responding to the moves, the consumer body Which? said the government, insurers and the travel sector needed to “urgently” work together to tackle the challenge because “the industry depends on people having the confidence to travel knowing they will be covered”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/13/coronavirus-live-updates-uk-us-australia-italy-europe-school-shutdown-share-markets-sport-events-cancelled-latest-update-news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

otnomart wrote: »
    If you don't yet have travel insurance, get one until it is still possible.

From the Guardian

"Many of Britain’s biggest insurers are pulling down the shutters to new travel insurance customers, with Aviva, Direct Line and Churchill the latest to stop selling policies as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

Responding to the moves, the consumer body Which? said the government, insurers and the travel sector needed to “urgently” work together to tackle the challenge because “the industry depends on people having the confidence to travel knowing they will be covered”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/13/coronavirus-live-updates-uk-us-australia-italy-europe-school-shutdown-share-markets-sport-events-cancelled-latest-update-news

Getting insurance now isn't going to cover you for anything related to Covid 19. If you don't already have insurance that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just cancelled accommodation on Booking.com.
    Very simple and straightforward process.
    Once you are within the cancellation date for your booking it's 100% refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

Getting insurance now isn't going to cover you for anything related to Covid 19. If you don't already have insurance that ship has sailed.

I thought we were insured as have had annual multitrip gold with insureandgo for the past 5 years. With a trip to Tenerife later this month and Málaga in May, I rang today to see how we could claim, only to be told (very unempathically) that we were not covered as 'government directives' was listed under the exclusions on page 10!! Bitterly disappointed!! Time to change insurer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

elperello wrote: »
    Just cancelled accommodation on Booking.com.
    Very simple and straightforward process.
    Once you are within the cancellation date for your booking it's 100% refund.

Provided you selected a refundable booking, obviously...

nibtrix wrote: »
    Provided you selected a refundable booking, obviously...

Yes, I should have added that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yes, I should have added that.

Send a message to Booking.com customer service and ask for a refund, they may help you, worth a try at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭54and56

lettuce97 wrote: »
    If gatherings of > 100 indoors are not allowed, how are flights still ok?

Because airside of an airport (after you pass security) is deemed international territory (hence duty free etc) so national rules about no gatherings over 100 people don't apply just as national rules about no serving alcohol before Xam or Ypm etc don't apply.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Send a message to Booking.com customer service and ask for a refund, they may help you, worth a try at least.

Thanks but my second last post was pointing out how good the refund service is on Booking.com.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Tippgirl74 wrote: »
    I thought we were insured as have had annual multitrip gold with insureandgo for the past 5 years. With a trip to Tenerife later this month and Málaga in May, I rang today to see how we could claim, only to be told (very unempathically) that we were not covered as 'government directives' was listed under the exclusions on page 10!! Bitterly disappointed!! Time to change insurer!!

You'll probably find all insures will have similar clauses for government directives and pandemics

Thanks but my second last post was pointing out how good the refund service is on Booking.com.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm sorted.

Yes depends on what kind of rate you book. I had non refundable rate booked on ebookers and can't contact them. Phone call keeps cutting out while holding. Not too optimistic about any refund there! Málaga hotel booked for May on loveholidays.ie is refundable minus 30euro admin fee! Hoping flights will be cancelled...so might have some chance of refund. Don't really have any appetite to reschedule at this stage!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Invaluable thread.

Took advantage of news of aer lingus waiving change fees to switch french flights from may to september.
    And a new travel insurance policy to cover the new dates.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Tippgirl74 wrote: »
    Yes depends on what kind of rate you book. I had non refundable rate booked on ebookers and can't contact them. Phone call keeps cutting out while holding. Not too optimistic about any refund there! Málaga hotel booked for May on loveholidays.ie is refundable minus 30euro admin fee! Hoping flights will be cancelled...so might have some chance of refund. Don't really have any appetite to reschedule at this stage!!

Yes I was just lucky the refund was built into the price.

Still waiting to decide what to do with the Aer Lingus flights.

Don't forget the airport taxes refund.

If the worst comes to the worst it's the price of a few pints (if you'd chance the pub!)

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    You'll probably find all insures will have similar clauses for government directives and pandemics

Not all, as I have been enquiring and googling. I personally know of another couple in same situation who have been advised vhi travel insurance will refund in full (after the travel date has passed) seeing as dfa have advised against all non-essential travel. I think, as with everything, you get good and bad travel insurance. Would love some recommendations for annual multitrip.

Interestingly, I have been reading that a doctor's cert, citing significant anxiety around travel due to virus, which many would quite legitimately experience, may be adequate grounds to claim. Disinclination to travel is obviously excluded.

Yes I was just lucky the refund was built into the price.

Still waiting to decide what to do with the Aer Lingus flights.

Don't forget the airport taxes refund.

If the worst comes to the worst it's the price of a few pints (if you'd chance the pub!)

Many thanks for tip re. taxes. Lol! Feel more like drowning my sorrows at home than the pub tbh!! So disillusioned with the whole thing at this stage. Never claimed off of travel insurance and have purchased for years and years. Last time flight cancelled by airline, about 5 years ago and insurance advised that because airline itself had cancelled it was excluded, so couldn't claim for second flight or hotel!

But time for reality check!! We're alive and healthy and safe! A lot of suffering due to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭juno10353

666 post above. Just posting this to move on

Fireball81 wrote: »

Yes, this is exactly as I was told by a couple I know personally.

If I cancel my travel plans can I claim cancellation costs?
    Vhi MultiTrip will provide cover for both cancellations and curtailment to areas
    on DFA’s non-essential travel list. If you wish to cancel a trip please contact...

So disillusioned that this is not the case with insureandgo...will not be recommending them anywhere!! But yes I clearly did not read the small print properly! Would be interested to know if we went ahead and travelled and became ill would we be covered?? Seems so conflictory!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

54and56 wrote: »
    Because airside of an airport (after you pass security) is deemed international territory (hence duty free etc) so national rules about no gatherings over 100 people don't apply just as national rules about no serving alcohol before Xam or Ypm etc don't apply.

I get that point alright, but if the government are banning gatherings of > 100 people then surely they should be advising againt non-essential travel to anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

seamie78 wrote: »
    the canary islands seem to have very few cases and the ones that cropped up appear to have been brought in, surely the advise against spain would include them

It does.

At what point do your operators cancel travel?

Non essential level or do not travel level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

lettuce97 wrote: »
    I get that point alright, but if the government are banning gatherings of > 100 people then surely they should be advising againt non-essential travel to anywhere?

In France they have defined the 100 gathering number as gatherings of "fun" things. Like cinema, concerts, etc. NOt things outside that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement