Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Skiing is still on, I suppose I don't need to touch anyone or be close to them, might get one last trip in.

https://www.sugarloaf.com/conditions-and-cams

I see Vail resorts have all closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

bilston wrote:
    Ah, but you see you just assume it's Arlene playing politics. Maybe it's Michelle O'Neill who is playing politics (or whoever it is that tells her what to do).

Ãde dare say both of them are, as usual politics in the North before people's lives.
    Only thing is its going to affect us this side of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,379 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm sure the following public access retailers would not be closed short of the "end of the world" type situation

-food and essential groceries retailers
    -pharmacies
    -post offices

banks will be an interesting one - it's probably true that the great majority of the population has a credit or debit card (or ready access to one in their family circle) but some people are definitely cash only types.
    Public transport aswell I assume?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wombatman wrote: »
    Paid sick leave for 2 and 3 according to company policy?

Then you're grand :)

2 and 3 do depend on the company, but for we'll say the majority of workers who may not have paid sick leave then it would be Illness Benefit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Skiing is still on, I suppose I don't need to touch anyone or be close to them, might get one last trip in.

https://www.sugarloaf.com/conditions-and-cams

I see Vail resorts have all closed.

Im thinking of going out for a surf later, i need to get some oceanic air and a dip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

You can be cynical about the numbers all you want, but what the Chinese have achieved in containing this is nothing short of miraculous in country so densely populated and with a population of over a billion.

Indeed , nothing short of miraculous.

Do you believe in miracles ? Not being flippant here, but I simply find it very hard to understand how they managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

nthclare wrote: »
    Those people in pubs won't be singing and huddling if their lungs sound like they're breathing through a crinkled up brown paper bag which sounds like a straw sucking up the last bits of Coca-Cola and the ice rattling in a paper cup.....

You know what? You are an absolute.....won't finish the sentence, might want to post in thread. But still..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think some stiff words with publicans about numbers might work better, so that punters get the message. Some venues can manage that 100 limit, while others will realistically have to close. Anyway that's the weekend over so a week of quieter activity is likely.

With a national holiday on Tuesday. How many people will be in Temple Bar and the likes again then if they are not shut down by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

beolight wrote: »
    Adam Tooze (@adam_tooze) Tweeted:
    Germany has c. 25,000 intensive care beds equipped with ventilators.
    France has 5,065 intensive care beds equipped with ventilators.
    Why does Germany have five times more?
    All of a sudden this matters!
    @TobiasBuckFT @davideghiglione
    https://t.co/tpcdcm1uRH https://t.co/0JkkdUN2wK

We need some journalists to ask Minister Harris how many ventilators do we have?
    Looking at that chart Andorra has better facilities than us

the UK have 1 ventilator per 12,000 people id imagine we’d have something similar.So id say approx 500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

You can be cynical about the numbers all you want, but what the Chinese have achieved in containing this is nothing short of miraculous in country so densely populated and with a population of over a billion.

I really think it puts into perspective all the quotes we hear from the politicians that 'we can't contain this' and 'we'll just have to let it run it's course' sort of thing.

If a country with a population of 1.2 billion people can contain up to a point of <100,000 infections then the rest of the world can too, it needs massive ammounts of resources and cooperation i get that, but it could have be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭amacca

Right. So basically the policies followed by Italy and Spain which have lead to the health services being overwhelmed should be followed in the Uk, right up to the magic point where the health service is at max capacity and then they put isolation in place.

Leaving aside the fact that there is up to a 14 day lag before symptoms, youd need to be pretty clever to know the exact point that the health services will reach full capacity about a week or even two beforehand.

And the UK have noted supergenius Boris Johnson ready to make that call

Thank you, I was getting depressed reading the twitter responses below that video coming out in support of what the UK have done so far (I can only hope they turn it around)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Watching this thread over the last week or so I notice so many Americanisms being used. Not so long ago if you used any of them you'd be considered a bit of an asrehole. Three examples.......

Lockdown
    Do the math
    My bad

Also, (and I don't know if this one is an Americanism) but when people finish a post with "Thoughts?" I reach for my revolver.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I went out for a meal last night.

I went to a restaurant with people I live with. The restaurant practiced social distancing with wide spaces between tables.

I was impressed with how the restaurant handled the situation. I had hope that we would be able to have a limited restaurant trade continue through this crisis. Then I got home and saw the **** in temple bar.

Now I fear that new legislation will be passed on Monday and orders issued to close all pubs cafes and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We need some journalists to ask Minister Harris how many ventilators do we have?
    250 according to this and another 60 purchased.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/medics-raise-concerns-about-staffing-levels-as-hse-stocks-up-on-ventilators-1.4201544

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Prop Joe wrote: »
    the UK have 1 ventilator per 12,000 people id imagine we’d have something similar.So id say approx 500

We have 250 ventilators for the entire country.

pawdee wrote: »
    Watching this thread over the last week or so I notice so many Americanisms being used. Not so long ago if you used any of them you'd be considered a bit of an asrehole. Three examples.......

Lockdown
    Do the math
    My bad

Also, (and I don't know if this one is an Americanism) but when people finish a post with "Thoughts?" I reach for my revolver.

The most American part of your post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Lockdown
    Do the math
    My bad

This is what you are worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

By extension, looking at that chart would you also infer that Romania has x3 better facilitates and Bulgaria has x2 better facilities than Ireland?

I went to a restaurant with people I live with. The restaurant practiced social distancing with wide spaces between tables.

I was impressed with how the restaurant handled the situation. I had hope that we would be able to have a limited restaurant trade continue through this crisis. Then I got home and saw the **** in temple bar.

Now I fear that new legislation will be passed on Monday and orders issued to close all pubs cafes and restaurants.

Theres too many idiots to let them stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭amacca

I dont know about ventilators but we are way down on ICU beds per hundreds of thousands heads of population

less than UK :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

pjohnson wrote: »
    The most American part of your post

He means the album

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If the pubs are to close on Monday, you kbow what that means....an apocalyptic amount of pints today.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

People are still able to go out and walk around in Milan it’s not the end of the world.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lombardia/milano/duomo-milano.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I was impressed with how the restaurant handled the situation. I had hope that we would be able to have a limited restaurant trade continue through this crisis.

Legislation can't just be approved without the stages and a fully functioning Dail. If anything it will come via changes to the DoH advice but this still seems like the army on the streets rumour of last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭20silkcut

PhantomHat wrote: »
    That's sobering. Although one has to keep in mind that depends on official figures from China. I suspect there are swathes of Chinese deaths that have been unaccounted for

Carmen regan on the radio now saying 5% mortality rate.

The Chinese were lying.
    That is absolutely no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Lockdown
    Do the math
    My bad

Hmmm.

Thoughts?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,017 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m starting to wonder if this is how the dinosaurs felt?

Me too, maybe a velociraptor was stood under a tree thinking... “ fûck it, I’ll be up early in the morning, hit Tesco, then Aldi, I better fill up the car too... MAUREEN ! Make a list yet ? You’ll be giving out if I forget your Jaffa cakes !”

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We have 250 based on what doctors have said and ordered an extra 72 according to Irish Times...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/medics-raise-concerns-about-staffing-levels-as-hse-stocks-up-on-ventilators-1.4201544?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Lockdown
    Do the math
    My bad

And heres you typing in english

Language is fluid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Such a conscious disregard for the health many many people, shown by a vile person in S Korea, who refused to be tested and to social distance themselves, instead, they went to church and a buffet lunch, is the source of over 1,000 infections.

See the tracking below.

https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-SOUTHKOREA-CLUSTERS/0100B5G33SB/index.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement