Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nearly did it after lunch at a Belgian MSA a few years ago myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Actually, the biggest problem with foreign drivers driving on the wrong side is not leaving Rosslare, but the following morning after a nights rest, then getting into the car and driving out onto an empty road only to discover that they are on the wrong side. There have been quite a few fatal accidents over the years from this.

You're completely correct and I was a bit disingenuous about the sign.
    That sign was aimed at anyone who had stopped in Ross and who had restarted their journey on the wrong side from there.
    It was still a good half mile out from town which was unfortunate for a neighbour of ours.
    She had a head-on crash at Jim Dooley's bend, 100m short of the sign, with a French driver who had stopped for petrol at Bolands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

josip wrote: »
    That sign was aimed at anyone who had stopped in Ross and who had restarted their journey on the wrong side from there.
    It was still a good half mile out from town which was unfortunate for a neighbour of ours.
    She had a head-on crash at Jim Dooley's bend, 100m short of the sign, with a French driver who had stopped for petrol at Bolands.

I think big fat arrows on the road might be more effective than road signs like the one you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭CoBo55

road_high wrote: »
    To Waterford? That took over two hours? Jesus !

Until this bypass opened you would still need to give yourself an hour/ hour and a half to make an appointment in Ardkeen, especially if it was an early one.

I have been reliably informed that the existing road opened in 1992.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've always felt that there should be a direction arrow painted on the lanes every few KMs and at main junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pajoguy

My god I had relations in south west london who used to drive home every summer with a caravan to the mid west of ireland in in the 80's.... they must have had another holiday booked in spain for when they returned to london.... what a road to one of our main ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

pajoguy wrote: »
    My god I had relations in south west london who used to drive home every summer with a caravan to the mid west of ireland in in the 80's.... they must have had another holiday booked in spain for when they returned to london.... what a road to on of our main ports.

Used to take 2 days to get from Belfast to Cork with the caravan in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭eagerv

I remember well we were never in a hurry, the sun was always shining and stopping and sitting on a rug beside the road with sandwiches. Being the smallest I was often sitting on a cushion between my parents in the front, a great thrill being let steer. Happy days..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I’d say you’re right. I remember cycling to New Ross the summer I was waiting for my Leaving Cert results. That was 1991 and construction was well under way by then. I remember lots of nice new tarmac, some of it lined, but not yet open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Seen a cyclist on the bridge Sunday. Are they prohibited or what's the story? To be fair i havent seen any signs saying they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Only seen a sign prohibiting pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The video was from 1988 and things had appeared to have stalled in terms of funding at that moment but it must have moved quickly soon after- that's pretty impressive that it opened only 4 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

alta stare wrote: »
    Seen a cyclist on the bridge Sunday. Are they prohibited or what's the story? To be fair i havent seen any signs saying they are.

There's another thread on here discussing it at length actually.
    Not prohibited, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No it's not prohibited but I wouldn't do it if you paid me to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How busy is the bridge? If it is not busy, then cyclists should be OK if well lit and hi viz, etc.

road_high wrote: »
    The video was from 1988 and things had appeared to have stalled in terms of funding at that moment but it must have moved quickly soon after- that's pretty impressive that it opened only 4 years later.

Very hard to find a record of the opening online.

Phil Hogan pushing for local access bridges on the route in 1991
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/1992-02-19/24/?highlight%5B0%5D=bill&highlight%5B1%5D=bill&highlight%5B2%5D=bill&highlight%5B3%5D=bill&highlight%5B4%5D=service

Independent in 2006 said 1992
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/routes-to-disaster-highways-and-byways-our-readers-rate-as-lethal-26389240.html

How busy is the bridge? If it is not busy, then cyclists should be OK if well lit and hi viz, etc.

Apparently it does not have a high enough traffic count to warrant motorway level design, so probably between 12,000 and 27,000 AADT. But I doubt there's been counters on there yet!

I don't want to drag this thread into the hole the other one went, so I'll butt out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's incredible to see how much it has changed with the lack of use at the same level it was in 1988.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Apparently it does not have a high enough traffic count to warrant motorway level design.

I don't want to drag this thread into the hole the other one went, so I'll butt out now.

Well that's quite obvious seeing as it wasn't designed as a motorway. It doesn't need to be a motorway to have restrictions though.

• Advertisement

Well that's quite obvious seeing as it wasn't designed as a motorway. It doesn't need to be a motorway to have restrictions though.

Yet again, aware that even my response here could be taken as inflammatory, I agree on both points.
    I was only replying to the question "how busy is the bridge?".
    Answer: "according to the design probably somewhere between 12,000 and 27,000 vehicles AADT".

For some context for that number (local to me for instance) the N8 at Silversprings/Tivoli has 35,552 AADT (2018).

Local examples for context for others available here: https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6
    I'd guess somewhere in the region of 12,000-13,000 vehicles according to this.

I always find it amusing that roads and railways were built the way they were. Bridges going across bends etc seemed a bit brainless yet it is a common enough sight around the country.

Kilkenny was littered with these. Old N9 had 5 narrow railway bridges alone and on a National primary until 2008/9! Lukeswell and Ballyhale were awful and had "oncoming traffic in middle of road". Still there but not a problem with the M9 to use instead.
    Still some bad ones around still like on the N24. The routes were designed 150 years ago for Horse and carts in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

It is busy enough and some cars pass over it at more than 100kph. I wouldn't risk it myself.

That's incredible to see how much it has changed with the lack of use at the same level it was in 1988.

It wasn't great even then but it looks very overgrown in now.

Alun wrote: »
    No it's not prohibited but I wouldn't do it if you paid me to.

Would not fancy it. Especially in the wind we've been having lately. One big gust and you could be in the Barrow never to be seen again!

It's very unfortunate a road that was meant to eliminate road deaths led to even more. Too many junctions and poor layout design I think. Fundamentally it's actually a good road but poorly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I always find it amusing that roads and railways were built the way they were. Bridges going across bends etc seemed a bit brainless yet it is a common enough sight around the country.
    They were built in an era when the fastest thing on the road was a horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The lack of historical documents with regard to Ireland's infrastructure is notable. The paperwork is somewhere but local authorities seem to have no interest in digitising it (or even just scanning) to let the rest of us see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Victor wrote: »
    They were built in an era when the fastest thing on the road was a horse.

Railways were built, the roads, particularly in Wexford evolved from walking tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Railways were built, the roads, particularly in Wexford evolved from walking tracks.
    And the Romans never came!

Advertisement