Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Well that's quite obvious seeing as it wasn't designed as a motorway. It doesn't need to be a motorway to have restrictions though.

Yet again, aware that even my response here could be taken as inflammatory, I agree on both points.
    I was only replying to the question "how busy is the bridge?".
    Answer: "according to the design probably somewhere between 12,000 and 27,000 vehicles AADT".

For some context for that number (local to me for instance) the N8 at Silversprings/Tivoli has 35,552 AADT (2018).

Local examples for context for others available here: https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6
    I'd guess somewhere in the region of 12,000-13,000 vehicles according to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

alta stare wrote: »
    I always find it amusing that roads and railways were built the way they were. Bridges going across bends etc seemed a bit brainless yet it is a common enough sight around the country.

Kilkenny was littered with these. Old N9 had 5 narrow railway bridges alone and on a National primary until 2008/9! Lukeswell and Ballyhale were awful and had "oncoming traffic in middle of road". Still there but not a problem with the M9 to use instead.
    Still some bad ones around still like on the N24. The routes were designed 150 years ago for Horse and carts in the main.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

How busy is the bridge? If it is not busy, then cyclists should be OK if well lit and hi viz, etc.

It is busy enough and some cars pass over it at more than 100kph. I wouldn't risk it myself.

That's incredible to see how much it has changed with the lack of use at the same level it was in 1988.

It wasn't great even then but it looks very overgrown in now.

Alun wrote: »
    No it's not prohibited but I wouldn't do it if you paid me to.

Would not fancy it. Especially in the wind we've been having lately. One big gust and you could be in the Barrow never to be seen again!

josip wrote: »

It's very unfortunate a road that was meant to eliminate road deaths led to even more. Too many junctions and poor layout design I think. Fundamentally it's actually a good road but poorly executed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I always find it amusing that roads and railways were built the way they were. Bridges going across bends etc seemed a bit brainless yet it is a common enough sight around the country.
    They were built in an era when the fastest thing on the road was a horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The lack of historical documents with regard to Ireland's infrastructure is notable. The paperwork is somewhere but local authorities seem to have no interest in digitising it (or even just scanning) to let the rest of us see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Victor wrote: »
    They were built in an era when the fastest thing on the road was a horse.

Railways were built, the roads, particularly in Wexford evolved from walking tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭chooseusername

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Railways were built, the roads, particularly in Wexford evolved from walking tracks.
    And the Romans never came!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

The lack of historical documents with regard to Ireland's infrastructure is notable. The paperwork is somewhere but local authorities seem to have no interest in digitising it (or even just scanning) to let the rest of us see it.

In fairness, while I was looking I found Wex CoCo Council minutes from the time scanned and freely available online.
    Nothing for KK CoCo however.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They did, but since they called it Hibernia (Winterland), they decided to leave it to the unfortunate locals.

There are some things that are just not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Not unique to infrastructure. Similar for archive television. The Brits put us to shame in that regard.

I see there is a notice of up coming road works near The Ru Glen, anyone any idea what is being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Seems that the planned Dual Carriageway from the Luffany Roundabout to the New Ross bypass is back on the menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They did, they built a short section of road from Duncannon inland and said feck this for a caper, we're outta here, this place is a dump...

CoBo55 wrote: »
    They did, they built a short section of road from Duncannon inland and said feck this for a caper, we're outta here, this place is a dump...
    Veni, vidi, non vis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not unique to infrastructure. Similar for archive television. The Brits put us to shame in that regard.

Indeed, YouTube has just fragments of irelands audio visual history and that's entirely down to amateurs and thier VHS and audio tapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The Barrow crossing 22/03/20
    SWAZxDb.jpg

I see a truck ploughed through the ballymacar roundabout.

• Advertisement

W7DKxrb.jpg
    Too all you roadies let's all say save out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I see a truck ploughed through the ballymacar roundabout.

Saw that this morning alright. Never saw the roundabout coming up at all obviously. There was a van smashed up there too so must have taken it out before mounting the roundabout. He almost went over the other side too so must have been flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A dungarvan truck.

Azatadine wrote: »
    Saw that this morning alright. Never saw the roundabout coming up at all obviously. There was a van smashed up there too so must have taken it out before mounting the roundabout. He almost went over the other side too so must have been flying.

Was bound to happen. To be fair the fog wasnt a help. He must not of been paying too much attention either. Hopefully no one was hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Was bound to happen. To be fair the fog wasnt a help. He must not of been paying too much attention either. Hopefully no one was hurt.

Why exactly?

tonc76 wrote: »
    Why exactly?

There isn't a roundabout in the country that hasn't been driven through at some stage or other.
    Simply a matter of time.

I wonder did/can they check the driver's phone activity at the time.

There isn't a roundabout in the country that hasn't been driven through at some stage or other.
    Simply a matter of time.

I wonder did/can they check the driver's phone activity at the time.

Fair enough but that's a driver issue rather than an issue with the roundabout.

Why exactly?

1: Speed

2: Foggy Conditions

3: Big Truck

4: Unfamiliar with road layout

5: Driver not paying attention

also, maybe not familiar with left-turn slip lanes at roundabouts.

Driver error 1 - 5!

• Advertisement

Driver error 1 - 5!

No doubt it was driver error.

The Barrow crossing 29/03/20
    jri5vCE.jpg

The Barrow crossing 02/04/20 (pic fb page)
    PhoB6KG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

m17 wrote: »
    The Barrow crossing 02/04/20

Stunning picture. Congratulations on 4,000 posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

m17 wrote:
    The Barrow crossing 02/04/20

Where are the credits for these photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

To be fair to m17, he(?) has regularly credited pics, and always says e.g. 'FB page'. I think most regulars on this thread - all 186 pages of it - are aware that m17 is not the photographer and has never claimed to be.

BGYHHvJ.png
    Royston Palmer for anyone who's interested.

Can someone who knows photography tell me if its possible to get that type of night sky with exposure trickery?
    Or is it photoshopped in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

BGYHHvJ.png

Can someone who knows photography tell me if its possible to get that type of night sky with exposure trickery?

I would imagine its photoshop. Probably more than one picture and exposures. Sky is one shot, bridge is another and foreground maybe another. The camera is locked on tripod and he takes numerous shots of the same frame with different exposure then combines them. There is no camera that could pick up that contrast range in one shot.
    Edit: looking at it again that sky is just photoshopped in I would think, different location as you would not see that many stars in a light polluted area like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Frostybrew

BGYHHvJ.png

Looks like long exposure photography. A photographer would leave the shutter open for a longer period of time, allowing lower light levels to register on the sensor or film. Works well with night skies as the stars are more or less stationary for the amount of time that the sensor is open. The downside is that movement will register as a blur or streak; which is why the bridge light reflections in the river appear blurred or smudged, in the above photo.

Having said this, many photographers will use this blur or streak to get some very beautiful photographic effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Unless its a very clear night, the bridge will likely be MUCH brighter than the stars.

At a wild guess theres stacking going on in that image.... keep the camera in the same place, do an exposure of the right length to get a nice picture of the bridge, do a second exposure (10-15sec with a big aperture) to get a nice picture of the stars, then stack them, keeping only the better part of both images.

Unless its a very clear night, the bridge will likely be MUCH brighter than the stars.

At a wild guess theres stacking going on in that image.... keep the camera in the same place, do an exposure of the right length to get a nice picture of the bridge, do a second exposure (10-15sec with a big aperture) to get a nice picture of the stars, then stack them, keeping only the better part of both images.

With the light pollution around that area from the lights on the bridge there is no way you could see that amount of stars . The image of the stars is from another location and photoshopped, I think.

https://www.facebook.com/RoystonPalmerPhotography/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBQueX7tmJaL8kY4bJ1r7-wMjr6pPHdO85xWGWSlBWdFa8JKOxcC-Q_3VVGm0fJxD_I6TuevbmzKkCp

Yes, stacking. Confirmed by the photographer. I wonder did he get the milky way from the same location. There would be much light pollution to the right of the image as it's in direction of Waterford city, but the direction he was the camera pointed should be relatively clear. Not sure the bridge would make much of a difference to light pollution as it tends to be large urban areas that impede shots.

Frostybrew wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/RoystonPalmerPhotography/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBQueX7tmJaL8kY4bJ1r7-wMjr6pPHdO85xWGWSlBWdFa8JKOxcC-Q_3VVGm0fJxD_I6TuevbmzKkCp

I wonder did he get the milky way from the same location. There would be much light pollution to the right of the image as it's in direction of Waterford city, but the direction he was the camera pointed should be relatively clear. Not sure the bridge would make much of a difference to light pollution as it tends to be large urban areas that impede shots.

Not a chance, New Ross is close as is Waterford, the bridge light would also have a big effect on the light pollution.

Not a chance, New Ross is close as is Waterford, the bridge light would also have a big effect on the light pollution.

Confirmed on Facebook by the photographer. The milky way was shot at the exact same time and location as the foreground. Though New Ross is close by, it is behind the camera and a small urban area; so would not cause a large amount of light pollution. Thankfully, as it must be an amazing sight to see both the bridge and the milky way at the same location.

Can't wait to travel down and experience it for myself, though will have to wait for this lockdown to end.

• Advertisement

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Confirmed on Facebook by the photographer. The milky way was shot at the exact same time and location as the foreground. Though New Ross is close by, it is behind the camera and a small urban area; so would not cause a large amount of light pollution. Thankfully, as it must be an amazing sight to see both the bridge and the milky way at the same location.

Can't wait to travel down and experience it for myself, though will have to wait for this lockdown to end.

Well I was wrong but still hard to believe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is there much traffic over the bridge under the current lock down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Is there much traffic over the bridge under the current lock down?

Very little, a social media friend just posted that he was parked up at the layby and very few vehicles passed.

gman2k wrote: »
    Very little, a social media friend just posted that he was parked up at the layby and very few vehicles passed.

Depends on the time.

The Barrow crossing 12/04/20 (pic rte)
    lErTsuw.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement