Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona virus in waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

debok wrote: »
    Really don't understand the toilet paper. Oh t doesn't even make sense. Ya can wipe your arse with anything. Surely there's better things to be stock piling. 3 Easter eggs for a fiver

It's cos people are ****ting themselves over it

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

I am not surprised,it's going to hit everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not sure how it's official when it's not official!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

jopax wrote: »

What a prick! The medical advice is not to be publishing specifics of case locations, which Skelton well knows. He is doing nothing more than stirring up fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

BBM77 wrote: »
    What a prick! The medical advice is not to be publishing specifics of case locations, which Skelton well knows. He is doing nothing more than stirring up fear.

The master stirrer of the South East.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

The rumour mill certainly increased in the last couple of days so I’m not surprised that we now have a confirmed one.

What specifics are in that tweet by the way? That it’s in Waterford? Sure we already know it’s in Galway, Cork and Dublin.

I have doubts about the information that’s being released publicly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Finally we got something before Kilkenny.

I am surprised that Mary Butler and Michael Martin have not staged a photo op and claimed credit for it.

In all seriousness though.. it didnt take long to get here if true. I would say the schools will be shut down within the next 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

I'd say he's going mad the papers were out this morning. He missed out on the front page splash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

What he says doesn't match with the news reports of the 10 cases and the how the contracted it . It's inevitable anyway

• Advertisement

WLR reporting it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

debok wrote: »
    What he says doesn't match with the news reports of the 10 cases and the how the contracted it . It's inevitable anyway

WLR reporting it now too

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/03/10/coronavirus-first-case-confirmed-in-waterford/?fbclid=IwAR0BgdlRBND7sbqkRZitbup4XhG2At6xboJY8YDqZE1wSkSvIQIiWEBYnNc

As a semi regular out patient visitor I wonder how quickly this will result in cancelled appointments.

Edit, already happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

DLS_75 wrote: »

Interesting as the patient was an inpatient , so many members of staff may have been exposed .

As the person in question caught it off someone else locally that someone needs to be traced pronto as they are a vector potentially running riot (best thing to hope for it that he/she has also fallen ill and is now isolated)

Chiparus wrote: »
    Interesting as the patient was an inpatient , so many members of staff may have been exposed .

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1237514335288725504

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So tell me, is he still a prick now that WLR and RTE's health correspondent are reporting it? Maybe he just broke the story early, maybe give him some credit....

Chiparus wrote: »

Supposedly a nurse out there has it now too

he was a "prick" for jumping the gun. Leave the breaking news to people who are in white coats and name tags.

• Advertisement

he was a "prick" for jumping the gun. Leave the breaking news to people who are in white coats and name tags.

I can guarantee you if WLR or DT had it first they would have run it immediately also, unfortunately that's what journalists and news outlets do.

Sure they would!

People are on edge about this stuff and I think media needs to be careful how it intervenes in the dissemination of important information.

Sure they would!

People are on edge about this stuff and I think media needs to be careful how it intervenes in the dissemination of important information.

The fact that this person had been an in patient in one of the medical wards for the last few days in very worrying, and in fairness to the local paper and WLR, the national media are also jumping on every single case also, so they aren't alone.

Sure they would!

I’m curious as to what all the media outlets did wrong here. Genuine question. What are people so annoyed about? Don’t we have a right to know if we have a case here? Don’t we also have a right to know what our health service, which we alll know to be flawed already, is doing to prepare for these eventualities?

News of a confirmed case was tweeted about. It was accurate. The same is happening all over the country. Am I missing something or is this just anti media hysteria?

Another question. The hospital management were informed by the manager. I assume what happened here is that one of those hospital staff told a journalist because if they broke the news themselves they’d be suspended or fired. So who should we rely on for the news? I genuinely think this is a case of people picking on the media because they have nobody else to take their frustrations out on.

We have a meeting in the GAA club today btw. I assume it’s about matches and training being cancelled.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    So tell me, is he still a prick now that WLR and RTE's health correspondent are reporting it? Maybe he just broke the story early, maybe give him some credit....

The media is causing unnecessary panic. The media are trying to say they are keeping people informed, they are not they are trying to create sensational content to boost viewership/readership and revenue.

In a time of crisis when things like St Patricks Day parades are cancelled and whole countries are on lockdown regardless of the economic cost. The media should tone things down and not be knowingly creating unnecessary fear for financial gain. The reality is bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Finally we got something before Kilkenny.

I am surprised that Mary Butler and Michael Martin have not staged a photo op and claimed credit for it.

In all seriousness though.. it didnt take long to get here if true. I would say the schools will be shut down within the next 10 days.
    With Easter holidays and Patrick's Day if it closed for a month It would need only 8 school days missed.

The media is causing unnecessary panic. The media are trying to say they are keeping people informed, they are not they are trying to create sensational content to boost viewership/readership and revenue.

In a time of crisis when things like St Patricks Day parades are cancelled and whole countries are on lockdown regardless of the economic cost. The media should tone things down and not be knowingly creating unnecessary fear for financial gain. The reality is bad enough.

So, by telling people that there is a confirmed case in UHW, they’re creating unnecessary panic. Are you having a laugh? Apparently this patient came through the emergency department, spent time in medical 7 and you think we shouldn’t be informed of this.

You’re wrong and I for one am grateful to our media for keeping us informed because the HSE certainly aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Gardner

Skelton shouldn't have opened is big mouth until the hospital announced it. there should a complete ban on media announcing anything before Hospitals, HSE etc.
    BTW it didn't take long for his brother to come on here and mouth off also.

• Advertisement

DLS_75 wrote: »
    So, by telling people that there is a confirmed case in UHW, they’re creating unnecessary panic. Are you having a laugh? Apparently this patient came through the emergency department, spent time in medical 7 and you think we shouldn’t be informed of this.

You’re wrong and I for one am grateful to our media for keeping us informed because the HSE certainly aren’t.

Sure that is the point. The HSE is following an international researched based approach to dealing with this. Not to be highlighting specific locations of cases because it spreads fear and can stops people coming forward.

“I for one am grateful...” Christ, you sound like a subservient underling.

And by the way I’m not wrong, it’s my opinion which is as valid as anybody else’s. Who the are you to say what is right or wrong.

Advertisement