Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus - Cheltenham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What a waste of a bloody ticket

How do you mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

blade1 wrote: »
    Will Aintree go ahead do ye reckon?
    Myself and a friend heading over for ladies day.
    Not sure how I feel about mingling with crowds to be honest.
    Would like to go but if cancelled won't be too pushed considering the circumstances.

I have been to the Saturday a few times and it is far too busy. Over 120,000 people it is manic. You see much more from your couch. The national track goes 2 miles out the country, you just end up watching the race on the big screen and you will queue for 10 minutes to get on.

Ladies day is fine, Friday I think? Some lovely racing and get the train into Liverpool after to go on the hoop, great craic, the Pudlians are lovely people.

Do dress well if you're going racing in the UK, especially premium meetings. Even the Pikeys will wear a suit. Everyone dresses up and you can look out of place without a tie. There is a stand at York racecourse which refuses entry without a tie, no messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I have been to the Saturday a few times and it is far too busy. Over 120,000 people it is manic. You see much more from your couch. The national track goes 2 miles out the country, you just end up watching the race on the big screen and you will queue for 10 minutes to get on.

Ladies day is fine, Friday I think? Some lovely racing and get the train into Liverpool after to go on the hoop, great craic, the Pudlians are lovely people.

Do dress well if you're going racing in the UK, especially premium meetings. Even the Pikeys will wear a suit. Everyone dresses up and you can look out of place without a tie. There is a stand at York racecourse which refuses entry without a tie, no messing around.

Careful Now !!

IAMAMORON wrote: »

I go over several times a year with years so well used to Liverpool and Aintree ;)
    Just wondering will it go ahead.
    Was even hoping to get to the City v Liverpool game as well before coming home so not sure not sure if things will pan out as planned or what.

Careful Now !!

Care to elaborate or do you just keep on with the silly posts?

• Advertisement

I go over several times a year with years so well used to Liverpool and Aintree ;)
    Just wondering will it go ahead.
    Was even hoping to get to the City v Liverpool game as well before coming home so not sure not sure if things will pan out as planned or what.

A liverpool fan too..........
    It get's worse

Careful Now !!
    A liverpool fan too..........
    It get's worse

Trying too hard to be riveting Roger and failing miserably.
    Try having a bit of cop on instead, it'll do you good.
    Although results for you could take a while, if your last few posts are anything to go by.

Although results for you could take a while, if your last few posts are anything to go by.

Thanks Buddy !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Have booked it myself again this year but I do struggle to see it going ahead. Will still head to Liverpool regardless if flights aren't stopped as the craic is head and shoulders above Cheltenham.

Thanks Buddy !!!

See told ya! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I think Cheltenham is coming in the nick of time. 64 cases announced in past 24hrs in the UK. I'd say they are less than two weeks away from cancelling large sporting events. Probably just tokenism really considering the London Underground would be a hive for it but they have to do something. Calls over here too to cancel Paddy's Day celebrations from some health experts. Its very difficult to find a balance of protecting vulnerable people from a killer virus and not destroying the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,553 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone going over be careful, mask up and wash wash wash the hands, maybe take gloves, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone going over be careful, mask up and wash wash wash the hands, maybe take gloves, enjoy

Vast amounts of cash will be sent around the betting ring like snuff at a wake - not to mention the fact that any race meeting I've ever attended hasn't exactly been renowned for racegoers attending to their hygienic ablutions. Que sera, sera.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

The Mig wrote: »

That's an old picture

Currently 1.14 to go ahead & 6 not to

Not over the line yet while one of the faces of racing won’t be attending this week due to doctors orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

lemush wrote: »
    Not over the line yet while one of the faces of racing won’t be attending this week due to doctors orders.

Who

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

BumperD wrote: »
    Who
    Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

abarkie wrote: »
    That's an old picture

Currently 1.14 to go ahead & 6 not to

It's from overnight, has drifted back out this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Me.

:p

• Advertisement

Sorry, I thought you said faeces. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Probably got to do with there being a confirmed case in Cheltenham over the weekend

BoldReason wrote: »
    Probably got to do with there being a confirmed case in Cheltenham over the weekend

Plus the emergency meeting today, Boris will be under severe pressure to go ahead to the delay stage. Think there's three cases in Cheltenham.

The Conservative Cheltenham MP, Alan Chalk, would be a bit upset with Boris if there is a last minute cancellation.
    His majority in the last three elections: 2015 6,516; 2017 2,569; 2019 981.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No using 50 Euro notes to wipe your face etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I've learned something over the weekend that I wasn't aware of ,before.

Apparently, the perceived/received wisdom around large gatherings is that you do not cancel early on. The reasoning is that the public start thinking it is an over reaction, and from there might start ignoring advice when it really needs to be adhered to.

I reckon next weekends sporting events/and the following weekend are in that Zone that says" now is the time to start restrictions".

There is a part of me that would not be too upset to see the Ch. Hurdle, Ch. Chase and Gold Cup all take place on Tuesday.

One Cobra meeting to go.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    It's from overnight, has drifted back out this morning.

Nope

Checked again and it's

1.12 on, 8.6 off

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

Well I’m over here since yesterday morning - we were out in Stow last night... it’s business as usual; you may as well ban a walk down Grafton Street or not go into temple bar or shut down the airport if you’re thinking of banning Cheltenham and other such events starts happening-

We’re on the road to economic and social breakdown if we don’t get a grip ,it’ll result in much worse scenarios playing out such as mental health problems / anxiety related problems if this is allowed to happen -it’s well studied the psychology of these incidents

This hardcore focus on the deaths- FFS-the US centre for disease control conservatively estimates that at least 30,000 people died from influenza in North America in winter season Oct 19- Feb 20 .... and not a word about it!!!

Well I’m over here since yesterday morning - we were out in Stow last night... it’s business as usual; you may as well ban a walk down Grafton Street or not go into temple bar or shut down the airport if you’re thinking of banning Cheltenham and other such events starts happening-

We’re on the road to economic and social breakdown if we don’t get a grip ,it’ll result in much worse scenarios playing out such as mental health problems / anxiety related problems if this is allowed to happen -it’s well studied the psychology of these incidents

This hardcore focus on the deaths- FFS-the US centre for disease control conservatively estimates that at least 30,000 people died from influenza in North America in winter season Oct 19- Feb 20 .... and not a word about it!!!

Hooray, a post that puts things into context, especially the number of deaths

Superbly put

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

abarkie wrote: »
    Nope

Checked again and it's

1.12 on, 8.6 off

It 100% was trading at circa 1.3-1.35 on earlier this morning around 4 or 5am. I was awake early due to some jet lag and was looking on there on different markets.

If you look at the market graph you can see the spike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement