Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus - Cheltenham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Anything4883

Well I’m over here since yesterday morning - we were out in Stow last night... it’s business as usual; you may as well ban a walk down Grafton Street or not go into temple bar or shut down the airport if you’re thinking of banning Cheltenham and other such events starts happening-

We’re on the road to economic and social breakdown if we don’t get a grip ,it’ll result in much worse scenarios playing out such as mental health problems / anxiety related problems if this is allowed to happen -it’s well studied the psychology of these incidents

This hardcore focus on the deaths- FFS-the US centre for disease control conservatively estimates that at least 30,000 people died from influenza in North America in winter season Oct 19- Feb 20 .... and not a word about it!!!

But there's a vaccine for Flu.... nothing for this as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

But there's a vaccine for Flu.... nothing for this as yet.

It's incredible how people still somehow cannot comprehend this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

10/1 against , you could have had 14's on Saturday night when I last checked.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/horse-racing/market/1.169321914

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

1.01 yes
    11 no

Relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

lemush wrote: »
    It's incredible how people still somehow cannot comprehend this.

Why are people recovering from it then?

Maybe not any vaccine but they are recovering, so something must defend against it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

abarkie wrote: »
    Why are people recovering from it then?

Maybe not any vaccine but they are recovering, so something must defend against it

Yes. Young healthy immune systems, something a lot of people aren't blessed with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

abarkie wrote: »
    That's an old picture

Currently 1.14 to go ahead & 6 not to

Look at the time on the screenshot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

The Mig wrote: »
    Look at the time on the screenshot!

I did and look at the time of my post

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think business people going on their annual jolly to cheltenham are taking a huge gamble by going there, bigger than any gamble at the track.
    If they end up having to isolate or end up with a whole office or factory having to isolate, then the opinion of the business big fellas will suddenly change - it will go from nothing to worry about, business as usual to accusation of reckless behavior causing untold damage to the business.
    As is the way with these things, someone has to get sacked to take the heat off so i wouldnt be a senior manager now opting for a trip to cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

In Italy, 10% of cases needed intensive care, mostly so that they could be on a ventilator. Sunday Business Post said that HSE are estimating 1.9 million people in Ireland will fall ill, half of those in the next few weeks. If these figures are correct then close to 200,000 Irish people would need ventilators, half of those in the next few weeks. There are only 255 intensive care beds in Ireland, and they're mostly occupied most of the time.

If the death rate is over 3% in countries where the number of patients is only in the thousands, what's it going to be like when the number of cases goes way beyond the hospitals' ability to cope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭morphy87

I think if Cheltenham was next week it would be off but don’t worry it’s going to go ahead I am sure but I don’t understand why Cheltenham seems to be getting all the attention compared to soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

morphy87 wrote: »
    I think if Cheltenham was next week it would be off but don’t worry it’s going to go ahead I am sure but I don’t understand why Cheltenham seems to be getting all the attention compared to soccer
    It is only here it is getting the attention, and the Racing Post.
    [Edit] I just checked the BBC website front page. Nine coronavirus stories and related stories. No mention of Cheltenham.

...........Sunday Business Post said that HSE are estimating 1.9 million people in Ireland will fall ill, half of those in the next few weeks. .............

........ https://www.thejournal.ie/hse-chief-cant-dispute-1-9-million-5037746-Mar2020/........THE CEO OF the HSE Paul Reid has said that he “can’t dispute” figures that suggest 1.9 million people in Ireland could contract the new coronavirus Covid-19.

He also acknowledged that “some modeling” that indicates that half of these cases would take place within a three-week period, which would put significant pressure on Ireland’s healthcare service.

The figures, first reported in The Business Post today, were based on estimations by Irish health authorities, and suggest that around 40% of the Irish population could contract Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

In Italy, 10% of cases needed intensive care, mostly so that they could be on a ventilator. Sunday Business Post said that HSE are estimating 1.9 million people in Ireland will fall ill, half of those in the next few weeks. If these figures are correct then close to 200,000 Irish people would need ventilators, half of those in the next few weeks. There are only 255 intensive care beds in Ireland, and they're mostly occupied most of the time.

If the death rate is over 3% in countries where the number of patients is only in the thousands, what's it going to be like when the number of cases goes way beyond the hospitals' ability to cope?

So 80,000 in China got it from a population of 1.4 billion yet 1,900,000 Irish are going to get this from a population of 5 million.

Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Coronavirus thread is somewhere else here, you can join your other pals there talking about how much of us are going to die. This thread is for news on Cheltenham being cancelled.

mickdw wrote: »
    I think business people going on their annual jolly to cheltenham are taking a huge gamble by going there, bigger than any gamble at the track.
    If they end up having to isolate or end up with a whole office or factory having to isolate, then the opinion of the business big fellas will suddenly change - it will go from nothing to worry about, business as usual to accusation of reckless behavior causing untold damage to the business.
    As is the way with these things, someone has to get sacked to take the heat off so i wouldnt be a senior manager now opting for a trip to cheltenham.
    Augeo wrote: »
    ........ https://www.thejournal.ie/hse-chief-cant-dispute-1-9-million-5037746-Mar2020/........THE CEO OF the HSE Paul Reid has said that he “can’t dispute” figures that suggest 1.9 million people in Ireland could contract the new coronavirus Covid-19.

He also acknowledged that “some modeling” that indicates that half of these cases would take place within a three-week period, which would put significant pressure on Ireland’s healthcare service.

The figures, first reported in The Business Post today, were based on estimations by Irish health authorities, and suggest that around 40% of the Irish population could contract Covid-19.

You will probably get a lot more traction for your arguments over on the actual corona virus thread, although given the tone ( and highly disputable content)of your posts you might be struggling to post there at this stage?

This thread is full of horse racing fanatics. We would go racing even if there was a threat from a fundamentalist death squad to spray the stands with bullets. Nothing is going to stop us, believe.

We love horse racing and all that surrounds it. We also get that not everyone shares our grá for the sport.

Cheltenham is like Christmas to a horse racing fan. If you don't support and follow the sport it would be difficult for you to conceive that. Posting leading statements with patronising tones simply won't work, I have been waiting for this week since Early Doors crossed the line in the Martin Pipe on Friday 15 the March 2019. Including a leap day that is 361 days.

A media frenzy over a virus that has been contracted by .00005% of the global population is just not going to stop the races, sorry. As it stands only one person in every 70,000 has caught the virus. In Ireland it is one in 200,000. In the UK it is 1 person in every 180,000.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    You will probably get a lot more traction for your arguments over on the actual corona virus thread, although given the tone ( and highly disputable content)of your posts you might be struggling to post there at this stage?.......

We love horse racing and all that surrounds it. We also get that not everyone shares our grá for the sport.

Cheltenham is like Christmas to a horse racing fan. If you don't support and follow the sport it would be difficult for you to conceive that.........

I was actually posting disputing the 1.9m thing.
    I love racing myself, was at Naas yesterday FYI and visit Cheltenham annually but I don't go to the March meeting.

I didn't actually say anything in my post, it was a link and a quote so there was ZERO tone.

I was actually posting disputing the 1.9m thing.
    I love racing myself, was at Naas yesterday FYI.

Good, I hope you enjoyed yourself. If I misunderstood or misinterpreted your posts I apologise, sincerely.

Whose your banker for the week, go on spit it out? Saying BDD or Envoi Allen doesn't count btw.

Whose your banker for the week, go on spit it out? Saying BDD or Envoi Allen doesn't count btw.

No idea to be honest.
    I rarely pick winners in NH. I'd never have anything picked out with any confidence. I've had a share in 4 national hunt horses if you are doubting my sincerity though.

Culture Secretary just said no cancellations or closed doors yet
    That's it
    Its over
    close the threadwe run!

• Advertisement

No idea to be honest.
    I rarely pick winners in NH. I'd never have anything picked out with any confidence. I've had a share in 4 national hunt horses if you are doubting my sincerity though.

Do you reckon Pinatubo will train on? I fancy a Gleneagles colt for the Guineas myself.

Do you reckon Pinatubo will train on? I fancy a Gleneagles colt for the Guineas myself.

No idea.
    A nice AW handicap anywhere except Dundalk is my idea of fun :)
    The bookies rarely price up the mainstream stuff anyway at all incorrectly from my experience. I find the AW my only chance of some value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

This is looking bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭blade1

FatRat wrote: »
    Coronavirus thread is somewhere else here

Unfortunately it's after spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

First case of coronavirus announced in Cheltenham town. A day before the big racing begins. Surely they will have to reconsider the festival going ahead now

Case in Cheltenham today. Still think it will go ahead but it is going to cause carnage in the aftermath I suspect.

Would you sh*tehawks feck off and play with the traffic
    1.02 on the exchange
    32 against

Go away for a other 11 months let ye
    Leave this forum to the racing fans

Sorry to everyone for starting this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

It's no surprise really that the supporters of ritualistic animal absue would have little concern for human health. Not nice individuals. History will not look kindly on this decision.

Would you sh*tehawks feck off and play with the traffic
    1.02 on the exchange
    32 against

Go away for a other 11 months let ye
    Leave this forum to the racing fans

Sorry to everyone for starting this thread

You are some clown. Starts the thread and then complains about people posting in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

It's no surprise really that the supporters of ritualistic animal absue would have little concern for human health. Not nice individuals. History will not look kindly on this decision.

Good stuff, who do you fancy for the gold cup?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement