Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus - Cheltenham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

BumperD wrote: »
    Italy have just shut all schools in the country.

Just as well the Festival isn’t held on a sports ground out the back of a secondary school in Milan then isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭droidman123

Motivator wrote: »
    Just as well the Festival isn’t held on a sports ground out the back of a secondary school in Milan then isn’t it?

I think you missed his point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Motivator wrote: »

I won’t bother joining the dots for you. You’re contributions on the forum generally consist of similarly childish remarks, little else over the years. Were you bullied as a child by any chance?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

Don't often agree with Matt Chapman but think he's right to take this more seriously

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/horseracing/11078915/matt-chapman-cheltenham-festival-grand-national-coronavirus/

A market on Aintree being on or off has been opened by Betfair as well,
    On 11/8, Off 4/6

Just when I had my first visit there booked since last July!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

5/2 against this morning. I do think today is the last chance they will get to pull the plug. Parliament is closed on Friday and the Exodus will be starting on Saturday/Sunday in earnest. I don't think they will call it off on Monday. Fingers crossed.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/horse-racing/market/1.169321914

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I think Cheltenham will squeeze it and get to go ahead but I really can't see how Aintree will take place. Just as Istabraq was denied his 4th champion hurdle due to foot and mouth it looks as though poor Tiger roll will suffer the same fate bidding for his third national.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Is the Rugby England v Wales being cancelled ? - No
    Premiership games - No

Cheltenham goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    5/2 against this morning. I do think today is the last chance they will get to pull the plug. Parliament is closed on Friday and the Exodus will be starting on Saturday/Sunday in earnest. I don't think they will call it off on Monday. Fingers crossed.

That's a really silly way of looking at things. If there's a huge increase in case over the weekend that they would likely call it off on Monday. Not sure why you would suggest otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Racegoers not feeling well told not to attend.

Would be a good idea to offer refunds on tickets for those who aren't well or who are fearful of picking up something and let the rest get on with it.

Racegoers are being urged to stay away from next week's Cheltenham Festival if they are experiencing symptoms associated with coronavirus, have travelled through high-risk countries or been in contact with anyone who has.

A public health notice has been added to the track's latest update on the British Horseracing Authority's administration site.

It reads: "Do not travel to the Festival if: - You have any of the following symptoms - a cough, a high temperature or shortness of breath AND - You have been to or transited through the high-risk countries, or been in contact with anyone that has, in the last 14 days.

"To protect yourself and others please do not travel and call NHS 111 (GB) or HSE 112 (Republic of Ireland) for expert advice.

"These measures are being taken in order for us to safeguard everyone's health and well-being during the current public health situation.

"Thank you for your understanding. For more details, please visit gov.uk/coronavirus."

The Betfair market surrounding the possibility of the Festival's cancellation has attracted plenty of attention in recent days, with £2.4 million traded, but the fixture remains odds-on to go ahead at 1.38 (4-11).

However, the firm has also opened a market on the likelihood of next month's Grand National taking place, with a small amount traded so far, just under £4,000 at 11.10am, favouring the meeting being called off.

Betfair spokesman Barry Orr said: "The odds on Cheltenham seem to have stabilised at around 2-5, which is encouraging, but since we went up with the Aintree market it's been odds-on not to take place - and the ramifications that could have for the racing world are wide-reaching."

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has played down the prospect of cancelling "large events".

Speaking at the British Chambers of Commerce conference in London, Hancock said: "The science on large events is that now there is no material clinical benefit, epidemiological benefit, to cancelling events, so long as people undertake the public health measures that I'm sure you all have heard of - wash your hands and, if you have a cough or sneeze, catch it."

Further afield, Meydan's Super Saturday meeting this weekend will be run in front of only connections, sponsors and media, the Emirates Racing Authority has announced.

The card, which is the second most important staged in Dubai behind only World Cup night, will take place without spectators as part of measures relating to coronavirus.

Friday's meeting at Jebel Ali and Sunday's card at Abu Dhabi will also be without racegoers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'd say Cheltenham might just about squeeze under the closing garage door that is the C Virus. By next week or the week after everything will be 'behind closed doors' at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Sea of blue for paint the dream in the northern trust.

Best price 25/1 antepost
    16-20/1 most places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Itziger wrote: »
    I'd say Cheltenham might just about squeeze under the closing garage door that is the C Virus. By next week or the week after everything will be 'behind closed doors' at best.

Agree with this.

7/1 against. Can I crack that bottle of champers yet? 1/9 on.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

7/1 against. Can I crack that bottle of champers yet? 1/9 on.

And to think it was around evens at one stage, crack it open :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s coming home lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

What happened, or didn't happen today that has seen the market collapse??
    You;d have to be confident now looking at the prices!
    Has there been a statement I have missed or what has caused the spike in confidence??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Too late to shut it down now I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Bastards! I've just come back from my lunch and read this wrong. Thought the market move was for cancellation and nearly lost me chicken curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WicklowBravee

Anyone travelling to Cheltenham and having second thoughts? I know people who have paid and aren’t going. Cheltenham will go ahead but this is very serious. The possibility of getting stuck over in the UK, possibly catching it and bringing it home and putting relatives at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Anyone travelling to Cheltenham and having second thoughts? I know people who have paid and aren’t going. Cheltenham will go ahead but this is very serious. The possibility of getting stuck over in the UK, possibly catching it and bringing it home and putting relatives at risk.

Not going but kind of glad i am are not.
    One thing is for sure - i cant see them doing the recycle pint glass ****e with 1 pound deposit they had going on in november - huge risk of cross contamination there alone.
    Would also be conscious of handling notes

• Advertisement

carq wrote: »
    Not going but kind of glad i am are not.
    One thing is for sure - i cant see them doing the recycle pint glass ****e with 1 pound deposit they had going on in november - huge risk of cross contamination there alone.
    Would also be conscious of handling notes

Everyone is different, for me I don't let it get to me. Unless you are in your 70's or have issues like Asthma or Cystic Fibrosis you really have nothing to worry about.

The plane would worry me more and I love flying. But those things are phooking virus traps.. I just got the shivers thinking about it, disgusting. Get the ferry and enjoy the lovely drive through Wales and Shropshire.

Grab some hand sanitizer and use it. If you can't buy any, a naggin of vodka will do the same trick, or whiskey, whatever ya fancy:). Paint stripper works as well but it tastes crap. Get a nice pair of leather gloves, you will look like James Bond and they make the birds horny, it is a win win. Enjoy yourself, half of this virus is media frenzy, believe me. Sadly more people are going to die this year of drug overdoses and car crashes, a shítty thing to say but true.

Bring your winnings into the sauna at your hotel each evening:p. Seemingly the virus cannot survive above 26 degrees, that's why it hasn't spread in India or South East Asia yet, it is too warm.

Traveling long distance but not concerned anymore I’m not in the age bracket that is affected badly and I’m in good health touch wood. If I felt unwell I will just self isolate and practice good hygiene throughout

Everyone is different, for me I don't let it get to me. Unless you are in your 70's or have issues like Asthma or Cystic Fibrosis you really have nothing to worry about.

The plane would worry me more and I love flying. But those things are phooking virus traps.. I just got the shivers thinking about it, disgusting. Get the ferry and enjoy the lovely drive through Wales and Shropshire.

Grab some hand sanitizer and use it. If you can't buy any, a naggin of vodka will do the same trick, or whiskey, whatever ya fancy:). Paint stripper works as well but it tastes crap. Get a nice pair of leather gloves, you will look like James Bond and they make the birds horny, it is a win win. Enjoy yourself, half of this virus is media frenzy, believe me. Sadly more people are going to die this year of drug overdoses and car crashes, a shítty thing to say but true.

Bring your winnings into the sauna at your hotel each evening:p. Seemingly the virus cannot survive above 26 degrees, that's why it hasn't spread in India or South East Asia yet, it is too warm.

Agree with all this bar the last paragraph

BumperD wrote: »
    Agree with all this bar the last paragraph

Yes your probably right. The big worry on the temperature argument is that some countries are not testing as robustly as more developed countries like Japan and South Korea.

To clarify, I was ripping the piss when I suggested sanitizing your winnings in the sauna, although we cannot prove it wouldn't work. Bet on your phone, no fx charges.:o

Yes your probably right. The big worry on the temperature argument is that some countries are not testing as robustly as more developed countries like Japan and South Korea.

To clarify, I was ripping the piss when I suggested sanitizing your winnings in the sauna, although we cannot prove it wouldn't work. Bet on your phone, no fx charges.:o

Ah yes appreciate that, just the warm country hypothesis I’m not sure about, it’s in the 80’s f today in Singapore but it’s spreading there. Anyway let’s enjoy Cheltenham :)

Anyone else secretly delighted that it's annoying so many hippies that cheltenham is going ahead? :D
    I know, I know, bigger picture and all, but any chance to annoy the professionally offended the better IMO

"How can you even THINK about a silly horse race at a time like this" ......
    "Its guaranteed to be cancelled"

Feck ye :D:D:D

The professionally offended :pac:

Anything to annoy the haters Roger, abs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Will Aintree go ahead do ye reckon?
    Myself and a friend heading over for ladies day.
    Not sure how I feel about mingling with crowds to be honest.
    Would like to go but if cancelled won't be too pushed considering the circumstances.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Will Aintree go ahead do ye reckon?
    Myself and a friend heading over for ladies day.
    Not sure how I feel about mingling with crowds to be honest.
    Would like to go but if cancelled won't be too pushed considering the circumstances.

What a waste of a bloody ticket

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement