Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Boozybooze wrote: »
    Do you have the statistics for the standard Flu? Pretty similar I would imagine.

Not even close. Less than 0.1%.

In the US it is 0.05%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Reading every post on this thread and I just realised this virus is just like the flu no worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

80,000 infected across the world/
    So far...

Give a decent 3mths to get going, then a calm down in Summer, then (likely) a Spanish Flu Wave 2 effect, for which, hold on to your hats.

Do you have any 90% proof booze, Boozybooze? As you could likely flog that, instead of the regular alchogels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Indestructable

spurious wrote: »
    You're right, it's closer to the common cold than a flu, but carry on.

Cases are not deaths.

You're mental if you think this is close to the common cold?? Cant be serious

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The media are absolutely loving this.

Actually the media started off being uncharacteristically coy on Coronavirus. Weirdly so. It was only when the cases in Italy started surging they, the markets and the governments clearly thought "Ah yes this could be quite bad if left to its own devices".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Is anyone reading this thread hoping to see something about a miracle drug/treatment/ cure ???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

80,000 infected across the world/
    Population of China is 1,400,000,000.
    Population of the World is 7,700,000,000

I think we'll be okay. Yes it seems to have a slightly higher death rate than the Flu but people freaking out about is mad. The media are absolutely loving this.

Wish now I got into the hand sanitizer business so gullible fools will buy it at ten times the cost.

IF it hospitalises twice as many people as a bad flu (e.g. an A strain that wasn't in the vaccine) it has the potential to overwhelm the capacity of the health service to cope with the 5-15% who get severe complications e.g. pneumonia needing ventilators.

This is a quantity game but not a quality game i.e. I would much rather get coronavirus than Ebola but if 1 million people get coronavirus it's a whole other order of threat.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Runaways wrote: »
    I definitely will. Have to go see my doc soon anyways unrelated so I’ll bring it up. I took pics over there of the antibiotics I had to take for the bits and the cut in case he needs to know. I finished them tho so it’s should be all good fingers crossed.

It's not sepsis, you'd be in the ICU by now. If you were diabetic or something like that it would have already wiped you out. Watch out for it in anyone that's sick though, it's not something people think of yet it's one of the biggest killers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Yeah that's why governments are taking these measures :p common cold

Ah this thread is pure gold

Have to warn you everything that shines is not gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Not even close. Less than 0.1%.

It's different every year of course

this year it's 0.05% in the US

So coronavirus is many, many times more lethal and also much more infectious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Cases are not deaths.

How could you keep this to yourself... for a a whole month?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Here is how it's gone for Italy in the space of a week

Day1: 14cases/1dead
    Day2: 76/2
    Day3: 153/3
    Day4: 231/7
    Day5: 374/12
    Day6: 528/17
    Day7: 821/21
    Day8: 1128/29

Picture that happening in this country. People would get their heads out of their backsides right quick!

Is anyone reading this thread hoping to see something about a miracle drug/treatment/ cure ???

I think some would be dismayed at such a turn of events

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sigh.
    It is because it is an unknown version that they are taking the measures. Doesn't change what it is, a type of common cold virus.

I can see now how some of the daft conspiracy theories suck people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hmmm, talk about feeding the bio-weapon conspiracy theorists. Pure gold.
    Chinese laboratory that first shared coronavirus genome with world ordered to close for ‘rectification’, hindering its Covid-19 research

No reason was given for the closure of Shanghai facility, which released information about the virus ahead of authorities
    One source at the laboratory said the closure has hampered scientists’ research when they should be ‘racing against the clock’
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3052966/chinese-laboratory-first-shared-coronavirus-genome-world-ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Watched outbreak last night... and all three male leads Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Spacey and Cuban Gooding Jr. have been accused of sexual assault..... make of that what you will.....

You're right, it's closer to the common cold than a flu, but carry on.

Cases are not deaths.

Have you ever been told to self isolate because of a common cold?
    Has a country ever closed its border or isolate a province because of the common cold?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

It's not sepsis, you'd be in the ICU by now. If you were diabetic or something like that it would have already wiped you out. Watch out for it in anyone that's sick though, it's not something people think of yet it's one of the biggest killers out there.

Will do.

I’ve heard of it but never realized how serious or how many it killed. Scary man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

yourself and cinemaguy :D:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Picture that happening in this country. People would get their heads out of the backsides right quick!

Germany, France and Spain seem to be on the same trajectory

Doubling roughly every 2 days

• Advertisement

Watched outbreak last night... and all three male leads Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Spacey and Cuban Gooding Jr. have been accused of sexual assault..... make of that what you will.....

An Outbreak causes abuse?

Cupatae wrote: »
    Brace yourself.... lol having a realistic view like that is frowned upon in here:D

The markets are being unrealistic eh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

First death announced in US from the virus.

What will Trump say now, with due respect to the deceased person. Source is news bulletin on LBC radio just now. And here too.... https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/29/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

Sigh.
    It is because it is an unknown version that they are taking the measures. Doesn't change what it is, a type of common cold virus.

It's not a type of common cold virus. It is in the same family of viruses as the common cold. BIG difference. Would you say ebola is a type of common cold virus?

https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
    Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans.

fr336 wrote: »
    The markets are being unrealistic eh

maybe alot of people are panicking ? i wonder why ?? :pac::pac:

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Italys figures make sense in that they were hit with it first so didn't have anything ready when it hit 3 weeks ago so this is the fall out from that. I'd imagine they will actually stabilise over the next week or so (not go exponentially up)

Irans figures make sense when you look at the massive blockaade they are under from the Americans. Also I read somewhere they were exclusively treating this with steroids which was causing complications.

I'm not entirely surprised by any of this to be honest.

This is one of the best posts I've read all week. Thank you! Not a post saying "Just the flu init haha you lot are fools" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Picture that happening in this country. People would get their heads out of the backsides right quick!

Joe Duffy will get a sore ear from anyone healthy enough to phone his liveline.

maybe alot of people are panicking ? i wonder why ?? :pac::pac:

Yes they must be following boards.ie :rolleyes:

Sigh.

The fact that most of the "experts" on this thread have to be told that and cant comprehend that on there own says it all really.

They just love it the hysteria.

• Advertisement

The fact that most of the "experts" on this thread have to be told that and cant comprehend that on there own says it all really.

They just love it the hysteria.

The only hysterical person is you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement