Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

They should just come on here but Hong and moaning but you already have that covered

No they just need to do their jobs. They aren't even returning calls from people who are genuinely worried about having symptoms. Maybe we could all just blow sunshine up their rear end and hope they can handle this.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Hand sanitizers and masks are in short supply. No joke

No joke at all cant be got , surgical spirts is short now as well . Id get some dettol liquid and soap if you need it that will prob be gone soon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ER8q3OEWsAAqx3O?format=jpg&name=small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Musefan wrote: »
    Great precautions being taken in a SuperValu I just visited. Disinfectant wipes being provided at the coffee station, covers over all the baked goods, hand sanitizers at all the self service checkouts

It does sound like they are making a good effort. But uncovered baked goods in shops at the best of times is one of life's most perplexing mysteries for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭dodzy

France banning 5K plus get-together
    Eurodisney still open.
    They have a tad more than that number per day. Probably 10 times that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Musefan wrote: »
    Great precautions being taken in a SuperValu I just visited. Disinfectant wipes being provided at the coffee station, covers over all the baked goods, hand sanitizers at all the self service checkouts

YAY for Supervalu! Great shops and lovely people...

zig wrote: »
    Today alone probably approx 3000 people have died in car crashes.

By this logic we may as well dispense with aul scaremongering seatbelts, natural selection and all that. Air travel is incredibly safe today, but sure why did we ever bother with over-the-top air accident investigations, sure it’d be grand as it was in the 1950s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

dodzy wrote: »
    Eurodisney still open.

I think it's in confined spaces Dodzy like football stadiums, concert venues etc...

They'd get millions on the subway every day also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Gynoid wrote: »
    It does sound like they are making a good effort. But uncovered baked goods in shops at the best of times is one of life's most perplexing mysteries for me.

Yep, they have the bread rolls at the deli counter at work at head height. You always see one or two people with zero self awareness an inch or two away when they are giving their orders. Imagine the amount of spittle on these after a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

dodzy wrote: »
    Eurodisney still open.

The ban applies only to indoor gatherings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I was very disappointed with where I work,
    No sanitizers to be seen, no instructions on what to ECT.
    And this is a uni with 6000 plus students
    Multi cultural and all.
    Only a matter of time before there's a case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

bb12 wrote: »
    my company's owners and management think it's all a big joke. they let a work colleague who had been to milan on a business trip last week happily walk all around the office areas amongst pregnant women and others who have immuno suppressed relatives without a care in the world.

My company is the complete opposite.

Office in Milan has closed....everyone working from home.

Any travel between offices has be approved by HR.

Encouraging meetings with off site people to be held on Skype.

Those who co locate in differing office have to choose o e for the foreseeable future.

Those with laptops are being asked to take them home everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

zig wrote: »
    Today alone probably approx 3000 people have died in car crashes.

So? What has that to do with coronavirus please? Does not decrease the severity or death rate or change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

So Im supposed to be off to Rome in two hours time. Thats not happening. After the CDC issued their recommendation last night, that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy. I went into the travel agents it was booked with to look at getting the refund etc since we bought the travel insurance policy but they stated that flights are still due out and no shut down of the destination as been issued. . . . . I haven't a breeze what to do. Do I wait until or if Italy is closed down then look at chasing a refund then or what you's recommend ?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-italy

Rome is not close to the quarantined epicentres in Northern Italy,

I would still go if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No cases yet proves Ireland and our mighty public services are clearly too strong for the virus (the 26 counties anyway)

Europe looks on in awe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

No cases yet proves Ireland is clearly too strong for the virus (the 26 counties anyway)

Seriously :eek: The mocker gods will surely see this:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

So what are the different European countries actually doing:

France: banning all indoor gatherings of 5000+ people;
    Germany: one affected town under quarantine (in NRW), cancellation of major trade fairs (ITB Berlin);
    Ireland: messages by various officials (news, interviews, LLS) to reassure the public;
    Italy: a number of affected towns under quarantine, accusations by some that it is damaging the country's reputation as a tourist destination;
    Spain: some major trade fairs cancelled;
    Switzerland: banning all gatherings/events of 1000+ people, recommending smaller gatherings to be cancelled;
    Norway: government expects up to 25% of the population to get infected. Preparing the health services.
    UK: Cabinet crisis meeting on Monday

Two European countries I visited last year have a great hygiene culture, where every toilet I visited was clean, had in plentiful supply soap, toilet paper, & paper towels: Latvia & Bulgaria. I’ll be interested to see rate of spread in these countries versus Ireland, where toilet hygiene is at best, patchy.

Very much an Irish thing these days. I travel a fair bit and I am struggling to think of another European country where shops have fully uncovered/unprotected baked goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Beanybabog wrote: »
    https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/to-hell-and-back-my-three-weeks-suffering-from-coronavirus

This is a good article. Apologies if it’s been posted already. Its the first account I’ve seen from someone who had it I think
    his mother and grandmother sick but not tested...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

BanditLuke wrote: »
    No they just need to do their jobs. They aren't even returning calls from people who are genuinely worried about having symptoms. Maybe we could all just blow sunshine up their rear end and hope they can handle this.

They are doing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

embraer170 wrote: »
    Norway: government expects up to 25% of the population to get infected. Preparing the health services.

No they don't.

They are preparing for what they think will be the absolute worst case scenario.
    Today it's been reported that Norway's Directorate of Health has plans in place that would cover a scenario whereby up to 25% of Norway's population became infected.

In this scenario, other hospital treatment would have to be postponed to enable hundreds of thousands of additional patients to be treated. The Director emphasizes that this is an “if” situation, and that effective measures are now in place to avoid getting into such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

France: banning all gatherings of 5000+ people;
    Germany: one affected town under quarantine (in NRW), cancellation of major trade fairs (ITB Berlin);
    Ireland: messages by various officials (news, interviews, LLS) to reassure the public;
    Italy: a number of affected towns under quarantine, accusations by some that it is damaging the country's reputation as a tourist destination;
    Switzerland: banning all gatherings/events of 1000+ people, recommending smaller gatherings to be cancelled;
    Switzerland has closed all schools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

France: banning all gatherings of 5000+ people;

It's pathetic, when you consider what the Chinese had to do to limit the spread.

And they had practically no warning of what was coming... our governments have had 2 months warning !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

micar wrote: »
    My company is the complete opposite.

Office in Milan has closed....everyone working from home.

Any travel between offices has be approved by HR.

Encouraging meetings with off site people to be held on Skype.

Those who co locate in differing office have to choose o e for the foreseeable future.

Those with laptops are being asked to take them home everyday.

I think it really depends on what the company can afford to do. Risk assessments are being made and actions taken on the strength of these.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Switzerland has closed all schools

Do you have a source for that? You are the second person to have mentioned it and I cannot find a reference in the Swiss media.

Seriously :eek: The mocker gods will surely see this:pac:

Well Joe Duffy said at one point on Liveline that as we are an island we can’t get the virus, hence the current thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

otnomart wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Due to go to Frankfurt/Stuttgart next weekend. Hard to call. Don’t want to end up stranded over there.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    No they don't.

They are preparing for what they think will be the absolute worst case scenario.

Stop bringing pesky facts into this thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement