Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Does anyone know what school in Waterford they are talking about as it doesn't mention it in the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

jopax wrote: »
    Does anyone know what school in Waterford they are talking about as it doesn't mention it in the media?
    Saying its three schools now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

https://www.delasallewaterford.com/ski-trip-2017/

Surely have to shut down the schools now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Jizique

No skiing in any of the affected towns; complete overreaction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

https://twitter.com/damienwlr/status/1232361780451647491

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

Looks like most of the population will die from panic attack, than corona virus....

I think it's a serious matter.. People are saying don't panic bla bla.. People with poor immune systems are in the firing line so to speak..the clowns who run this country can't be trusted to deal with this imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

This is a tough one to call. SARS and MERS didn't really spread that far... 25 or so countries.. with only the top 5 (all in Asia) having significant numbers of infected... (there was one case in Ireland).

But the world is a smaller place now than it was in 2002. So I don't know if its because of greater international travel, or something in the virus itself that in the first 3 months it has already infected more than 10 times more people than SARS did... and killed 4 times more. The numbers are still small potatoes compared to the population centres they are emanating from.. but still.

The rate of infection in secondary places where it has gained a foothold, like Italy will tell us a lot about how worried we should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

one of the schools was st pauls also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

one of the schools was st pauls also.

Yep. My niece is one of those on that trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I think it's a serious matter.. People are saying don't panic bla bla.. People with poor immune systems are in the firing line so to speak..the clowns who run this country can't be trusted to deal with this imo..

its not to panic about
    currently 200 to 500 people die every year here from the normal flu but we don't see panic about that.
    Cov19 has a mortality rate of 2.3%

these kids where miles away from the outbreak so why would we panic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

robtri wrote: »
    its not to panic about
    currently 200 to 500 people die every year here from the normal flu but we don't see panic about that.
    Cov19 has a mortality rate of 2.3%

Flu has a mortality rate of about 0.1%. Flu gets a vaccine, which this hasn't got yet. There is a level of immunity to flu from previous episodes which isn't the case with this. The level of people needing hospitalisation for Covid-19 is about 10x that of flu. Flu has been around for ages and this is getting started. Increasing evidence that it spreads more easily than flu. There are lots of reasons that people need to stop comparing it to the flu. It's not me saying that, it's medical professionals. They need to get a handle on this before it gets really serious. They're not putting towns or cities in virtual quarantine for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2 North Donegal schools just back from skiiing in Northern Italy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Won't be long now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

A person in Spain has got it after returning from Valencia game mid week. Good luck to them trying to contain those cases. Bound to get it here. Confidence is extremely low that we have any measures in place. Returned from states via Dublin airport yesterday and not a hint of any precautionary measures, not even a sign. And passport control had no gloves or masks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tbayers wrote: »
    A person in Spain has got it after returning from Valencia game mid week. Good luck to them trying to contain those cases. Bound to get it here. Confidence is extremely low that we have any measures in place. Returned from states via Dublin airport yesterday and not a hint of any precautionary measures, not even a sign. And passport control had no gloves or masks!

Honest question, did you?

After all you were mixing with people on the plane and in the airport as well, a person from a effected area could very easily have been on your flight as part of a connecting flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Cabaal wrote: »
    Honest question, did you?

After all you were mixing with people on the plane and in the airport as well, a person from a effected area could very easily have been on your flight as part of a connecting flight.

Very true. But I came from the States and no cases in state I was in or any in ones around it. I do take your point. But how can flights from Northern Italy be left through unscreened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

First case in Ireland now confirmed from someone in Belfast who had returned from Italy via Dublin,its in Ireland now anyway.

• Advertisement

we will be the corona virus capital of ireland in two weeks..mark my words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Why ?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I can assure you, UHW isnt any worse than CUH or Limerick University Hospital when it comes to cleanliness and hygiene control, so not sure how someone could make the assumption that Waterford will be the “Corana Capital of Ireland”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sure we get nothing down here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Lovely. What evidence do you have for this?

Well the first case confirmed in the east of the country so I wouldn't say it will be long before its in Waterford if it isn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Well the first case confirmed in the east of the country so I wouldn't say it will be long before its in Waterford if it isn't already.

Any idea exactly what county?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Wasn’t there a post on FB last night about some lad in Johns Lane being carted off in an ambulance with the suspected virus

No the HSE won't say where which I think is ridiculous since surely it's in people's interest to know where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Any update on what decision the schools took with the students returning from Italy?

Advertisement