Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Was told earlier today that Naas hospital has been working on isolation rooms for any potential outbreaks .

So behind the scenes I imagine there is plans in places without spooking the entire population

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tomato1 wrote: »
    I'm hearing lots of grumblings from staff that they'll just go sick if it arrives here.

Anywhere here's our guideline for it, which is pretty out of date at this stage.
    I suspect we'll get an updated version by the end of the week.

Note it says transport patient to nearest "receiving hospital". That more than likely means one of the Dublin hospitals.

imgur.com/fuImrjw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fuImrjw.jpg

fuImrjw.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

fr336 wrote: »
    Not seen anyone else mention that it's almost 100 years to the year since the Spanish Flu - some coincidence.

Hope in a week's time we have some kind of better news. To think this time last week things seemed to be slowing down.

102 years I think, we are overdue, but I don't think this pandemic will be on that scale.

I'm not seeing things getting better by next week though. New normal I think.

Could be wrong, what do I know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

You’d be afraid to watch this unfolding, but afraid not to as well.

Let’s park the HSE for a minute and it’s capacity to deal with this, and focus on communication and containment. I’d say it’s here already, so good clear non hysterical information is needed right now.

The “ah we’ll be grand” attitude won’t help us much. Neither will panic.

Good advice, but not sure I'm fond of your username right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    We dont actually know what the Chinese Communist Regime has actually done. Or if the numbers are accurate. You may trust a regime that's murdered tens of millions of its people. I will not.

We do know what they've done (or someof it at least) but Id agree to a certain extent. They can't be trusted and are probably fluffing the numbers a bit but these days its hard to keep a secret as big as that. The real numbers won't be far off what the WHO have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

fr336 wrote: »
    Good advice, but not sure I'm fond of your username right now ;)

LOL. A bit of.humour always helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

A buddy of mine in Galway has been told to self quantine.

He was served in a shop by someone who may have the covid-19, in Galway(Barna/Spiddel)...It maybe here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

MadYaker wrote: »
    We do know what they've done (or someof it at least) but Id agree to a certain extent. They can't be trusted and are probably fluffing the numbers a bit but these days its hard to keep a secret as big as that. The real numbers won't be far off what the WHO have.

What you are saying can be 100% correct or 100% wrong. Thats the problem with the regime. We cant tell. In 6 months when we do for sure the info is beyone its usefulness. So we would be best to rely on our own methods and not assume China has beaten anything. Its just prudence really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes, that is a good point. if this takes off here will many staff not report in and not risk getting infected? I saw that happened to some in Wuhan. Human nature I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

We dont actually know what the Chinese Communist Regime has actually done. Or if the numbers are accurate. You may trust a regime that's murdered tens of millions of its people. I will not.

Europe is not testing people, so our numbers aren't accurate either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

He was served in a shop by someone who may have the covid-19, in Galway(Barna/Spiddel)...It maybe here

Seriosuly fu*k off. I was in Galway the weekend and had cold since yesterday. Ehh "touch" a few people. Im not even laughing at this point and Im a piss taking bastard.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Interesting to hear Mr Harris on the RTE Six 1 news earlier. He updated the country list for notification to the HSE, or voluntary quarantine, if you have traveled from any of them. Italy, Iran etc now included, but no mention of Tenerife?

I know I am no expert, but just thinking about it in general terms, Tenerife would be an international melting pot of potential contacts all flying back to their home countries. Is that not a substantial risk to be considered.

I am no expert, but there have been many times where my common sense has been way ahead of Irish officialdom. I hope this is not another case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Was told earlier today that Naas hospital has been working on isolation rooms for any potential outbreaks .

So behind the scenes I imagine there is plans in places without spooking the entire population

Some Dublin hospital have had isolation rooms for a number of weeks so maybe the plan was to transfer to Dublin.
    It is a rapidly developing situation so it’s hard for the health services to keep up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MaraMara

It’s been announce in Spain that as an extraordinary measure, every single person lying in hospitals in the country with pneumonia will be tested for Coronavirus as prevention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is there anything to be said for another mass?
    In light of the aul end times tribulation, rapture and what have ye...

Time to get off this planet and start a human colony on the Moon or Mars or wherever. Anyone know of any rockets for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,495 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Interesting to hear Mr Harris on the RTE Six 1 news earlier. He updated the country list for notification to the HSE, or voluntary quarantine, if you have traveled from any of them. Italy, Iran etc now included, but no mention of Tenerife?
    I know I am no expert, but just thinking about it in general terms, Tenerife would be an international melting pot of potential contacts all flying back to their home countries. Is that not a substantial risk to be considered.
    I am no expert, but there have been many times where my common sense has been way ahead of Irish officialdom. I hope this is not another case.

Give them 24-36 hours to catch up on the NHS advice.
    That seems to be about the going rate.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

What you are saying can be 100% correct or 100% wrong. Thats the problem with the regime. We cant tell. In 6 months when we do for sure the info is beyone its usefulness. So we would be best to rely on our own methods and not assume China has beaten anything. Its just prudence really.

Yeah I'd be very careful about any of the figures China is putting out tbh. Their economy is in free fall and they need to be seen to be beating this thing. I sincerely hope they are beating it but the story has moved on past them now we are all in the cross hairs

Seriosuly fu*k off. I was in Galway the weekend and had cold since yesterday. Ehh "touch" a few people. Im not even laughing at this point and Im a piss taking bastard.:rolleyes:

you'll be grand ;-)
    jokes aside there is a bad flue out there at the moment adding fuel to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So do you think millions could be dead in China? Thats conspiracy nonsense as far as im concerned. You can't cover that up in this day and age.

I think they may have supressed numbers somewhat but numbers are unreliable anyway as there will be many who got the virus and recovered, never getting tested so not in the stats and surely some who died also not recorded as killed by the virus so not in the stats.

What worries me is that EU governments won't be able to do what China did to the same extent. China is an authoritarian state where the collective is valued above the individual so the government can take extreme measures at very short notice. Here in the EU we've gotten awful used to our freedoms of movement etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Mwengwe wrote:
    Is a CT scan really the way they test for it? No other way? Just seems a bit extreme.
    A CT scan can detect pneumonia, a complication from the virus. A CT scan cannot detect the virus.
    Mwengwe wrote:
    I looked into it further and it seems they were doing CT scans because of they didn't want to wait for blood tests or the blood kits were in short supply, blood tests being more reliable. Definitely don't think irradiating whole swathes of the population is ideal
    Testing is carried out on samples of sputum(phlegm) or swabs from the nose and throat. They are not blood tests.
    BanditLuke wrote:
    There are reports that the HSE are refusing to test people because they actually have no test kits, 6 weeks after it became obvious they'd need some.
    What reports?

There's a lot of unverified rumours flying around here between tweets, youtube and tabloids. The thread is moving so quickly that people are accepting things as fact and keep scrolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Time to get off this planet and start a human colony on the Moon or Mars or wherever. Anyone know of any rockets for sale?

have some rocket salad

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

How would he even know this? Who contacted him to tell him this? Not being confrontational, just wonder how that works, especially with all the maybes.

No his serious...his having trouble getting an answer from the HSE number he was told to call tho

Mwengwe wrote: »
    How would he even know this? Who contacted him to tell him this? Not being confrontational, just wonder how that works, especially with all the maybes.

His GP contacted him, and told him to ring a HSE number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

saabsaab wrote: »
    Yes, that is a good point. if this takes off here will many staff not report in and not risk getting infected? I saw that happened to some in Wuhan. Human nature I suppose.

And the regime would have made doctors and nurses report for work in Wuhan. Good luck with that here.

Corona virus jumping on the rocket seconds before take off

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

wakka12 wrote: »
    The US CDC has warned there will be significant disruption to the daily life of Americans because of coronavirus

Will it affect the Trump rallies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Surprised to hear Ireland has tested 91, thats actually decent. America has only tested 450

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

So he was served by someone in a shop and they identified your friend's GP who rang your friend? Sure, Jan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement