Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Welcome to the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It is a lot worse than the flu. This is because we have no built in antibodies to Corona. We have built in immunity to the flu.
    We have thousands of antibodies binding to flu as a result of our ancestors and us being hit with thousands of strains of flu over the years. This is why we are generally sick for a few weeks while our antibodies kick the flu's ass. We don't have that protection with Corona.

This sounds like very sketchy "science". For the record we have just as much if not more exposure to viruses in the coronavirus family. Aka the common cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is a lot worse than the flu. This is because we have no built in antibodies to Corona. We have built in immunity to the flu.
    We have thousands of antibodies binding to flu as a result of our ancestors and us being hit with thousands of strains of flu over the years. This is why we are generally sick for a few weeks while our antibodies kick the flu's ass. We don't have that protection with Corona.

Long form... "no worse than the flu... the first time our species encountered it".

No worse than a disease that stretches our health service to breaking point every winter.
    And this time we don't even have a 50% effective vaccine.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

elbyrneo wrote: »
    My Mam is travelling to Spain on Thursday, she would be prone to picking up infections. To put her mind a little at ease for the airplane/airport want to get her a mask, the n95 respirator type ones, not the surgical ones that dont do much.

Sold out everywhere I can see. Any suggestions at short notice?

Cancel trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The WHO people have finally arrived to the table after 40 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVWRZIZgqQ&feature=youtu.be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stark wrote: »
    This sounds like very sketchy "science". For the record we have just as much if not more exposure to viruses in the coronavirus family. Aka the common cold.

Would there not be much wider difference between the cold and coronavirus than between different strains of 'A' influenza?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

fritzelly wrote: »
    "Expert" on Liveline, it's no worse than flu, take a deep breath lol

It's this idiotic perspective that's causing us to take no precautions at all.

We are on the verge of seeing thousands dead here, and that's your position?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    ‘It’s not Status Red yet, just Status really really really dark Orange”.

Like you're username only priests socks are black all other are just a very very very very very very dark blue.

The WHO are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Ficheall wrote: »
    The WHO people have finally arrived to the table after 40 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVWRZIZgqQ&feature=youtu.be

Hope someone asks them about this:
    Can anyone explain this to me?

https://qz.com/1017805/the-world-ban...f-an-outbreak/
    The World Bank’s “pandemic bonds” are designed so investors pay in the event of an outbreak...

Relax there. Fritzelly agrees with you. Read it again.

• Advertisement

****! We are running out of time to organise the opening post of the new thread!

PC7 - you’re in charge of listing all the medical supplies required. The Dazzler will put you straight when you inevitably go wrong.

Catamaniac - you’re with me on recipes

Frizelly - you’re doing a great job on twitteroo so keep doing what you’re doing.

Statisticians - get yourself organised into your opposing groups and will you please give yourselves team names? I don’t know who is arguing with who tbh.

Accumulator - open the betting on which one of us will get it first.

Martina1991 - I dunno what it is you do but keep doing it.

Cinema guy- keep on giffing.

Wakka - you’ve got the most important job - CAPITAL LETTERS!

Any other volunteers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Hang on now, we're not anywhere near that just yet. We're on the verge of our first confirmed cases, it'll take a fair while before we alone (Ireland) get to thousands.

We need more precautions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are people stupid, that's the experts view!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Stark wrote: »

Back at you. Influenza is not in the same family as the 2019-nCoV virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

"For the moment, we are not witnessing the uncontained global spread of this #coronavirus, and we are not witnessing large-scale severe disease or death.

Does this virus have pandemic potential? Absolutely.
    Are we there yet? From our aseessment not yet"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

So from scanning posts from when I slept last night, a summary
    - Virus spreading to more countries
    - More deaths
    - HSE still saying sure it's grand
    - Incoming passengers from Italian flights not being checked
    - Thousands of Italians due here in early March
    - WHO wants to press the big red panic button , sorry pandemic button, but it didn't come with instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

wadacrack wrote: »
    "For the moment, we are not witnessing the uncontained global spread of this #coronavirus, and we are not witnessing large-scale severe disease or death.

Absolute cowards

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Right so according to the WHO it's not a pandemic YET. The EU have given them some coin and Germany, Sweden, and France have given more besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Highly likely its going to a tough time ahead for the next number of months. The time has probably come to stop arguing about data and the severity of this.Its not helping anyone. Worrying that the HSE or Irish government haven't warned people or put out a statement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Never mind what the amateurs say, we need to wait for the opinions of the real experts like Twitter users and some guy on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

Am afraid to press F5 on the live fiscal markets hub webpage.:at 14:42

dONWNmJ.png

which planet is this on? Am I already dizzy from this thread, or did somebody with some condition drew this 'continent'.?..some deranged North America???:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

tara73 wrote: »
    which planet is this on? Am I already dizzy from this thread, or did somebody with some condition drew this 'continent'.?..some deranged North America???:p:p

The countries are in white

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Highly likely its going to a tough time ahead for the next number of months. The time has probably come to stop arguing about data and the severity of this.Its not helping anyone. Worrying that the HSE or Irish government haven't warned people or put out a statement

I’m really worried and been so for a bit. Anyone I say it to just plays it down.

****! We are running out of time to organise the opening post of the new thread!

PC7 - you’re in charge of listing all the medical supplies required. The Dazzler will put you straight when you inevitably go wrong.

Catamaniac - you’re with me on recipes

Frizelly - you’re doing a great job on twitteroo so keep doing what you’re doing.

Statisticians - get yourself organised into your opposing groups and will you please give yourselves team names? I don’t know who is arguing with who tbh.

Accumulator - open the betting on which one of us will get it first.

Martina1991 - I dunno what it is you do but keep doing it.

Cinema guy- keep on giffing.

Wakka - you’ve got the most important job - CAPITAL LETTERS!

Any other volunteers?

You forgot MIC 1972;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

So the DFA are saying "Citizens are advised not to travel to affected areas," re Italy.

Why are flights still going, so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Jesus, this WHO press coference is such bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'm in the Analyst Team! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Italian government will handle it

..said no one ever

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The countries are in white

Holys*it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,307 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have a holiday to lake Garda in April....feeling a tad worried now...should I be?
    Will travel insurance cover refund on flights and hotel etc I wonder?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement