Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

elbyrneo wrote: »
    My Mam is travelling to Spain on Thursday, she would be prone to picking up infections. To put her mind a little at ease for the airplane/airport want to get her a mask, the n95 respirator type ones, not the surgical ones that dont do much.

Sold out everywhere I can see. Any suggestions at short notice?

Bike shop maybe? I think some cyclists use them to filter out pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

My Mam is travelling to Spain on Thursday, she would be prone to picking up infections. To put her mind a little at ease for the airplane/airport want to get her a mask, the n95 respirator type ones, not the surgical ones that dont do much. Sold out everywhere I can see. Any suggestions at short notice?

You're probably not going to get a mask but from what I've read, obsessive hand washing, pocket alcohol hand gels etc are as important. Wear gloves when travelling, take them off when eating. Don't put hand to face etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Ha, was only chatting to a friend this morning about this, explained the WHO were taking the advice of Stats/infectious disease experts, and we were waiting to see the result of that today.
    But I said, 'i guess they are figuring out how to say 'pandemic' without actually saying it.'

Not for for purpose, that organisation. They are there to protect PEOPLE not economies..

‘It’s not Status Red yet, just Status really really really dark Orange”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I'm expecting a visitor from Rome on Wednesday, she'll stay for 1 month LOL!

... in the garden shed. I'll be looking after her though, Taking her meals on paper plates and incinerating them afterwards. I've even got her a chemical toilet. Theres' no shower, but it rains frequently so she can just stand outside when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

My Mam is travelling to Spain on Thursday, she would be prone to picking up infections. To put her mind a little at ease for the airplane/airport want to get her a mask, the n95 respirator type ones, not the surgical ones that dont do much.

Sold out everywhere I can see. Any suggestions at short notice?

59531a643dd2f367223dfa8f6a1b9c1a-836384.jpg?io=landscape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

fritzelly wrote: »
    So this is convenient, cannot declare a pandemic if you have no criteria to declare one

I thought this was a funny post in that link:

ERip2yAXsAAipir?format=jpg&name=medium

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Is Joe's surgery open 24/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Joe is talking about it on de Lahvline!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

cnocbui wrote: »
    What about the people around this person on the plane. I am sure there was coughing and sneezing at some stage.

Joe is talking about it on de Lahvline!!

Maybe now we'll see some proper action from official Ireland, Joe is on the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The recently elected psychopathic creep Simon Harris seems to be very blase and care free about this situation. Not bothered now the pension is in the bag and he can doss on the back bench counting his wodge of money while literally getting paid for doing nothing at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Cmere. I thought you were a business analyst. Surely, you realise that the fact fact over 90% of cases are in the Hubei province would skew any data???

if the majority of cases took place in Hubei then we have to look at the data from Hubei, we don't know if the virus behaves differently depending on the geographical location or ethnicity. So it's still good data

Fatality rate outside of China is lower, but in this case the sample is small
    Personally i feel more confident with a bigger sample rather than a selective smaller one, but i do agree that China is not the best source of data

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePopehimself View Post
    ...and how many more Taxi's are driving around having had similar passengers today...

The 13:22 Milan to Dublin EI433 just landed at Terminal 2 Dublin Airport
    And the 15:40 Dublin to Milan EI 436 is due to depart this afternoon bang on schedule…
    There are people travelling back and forth to South Korea from Dublin and Shannon...and so it goes.

Our stable doors have been left wide open.
    BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's actually farcial now. The government has sent out HSE talking heads all morning to tell people stop being silly everything is okay yet they still up until 1pm had zero checks within the airport for incoming passangers never mind cancelling flights. If it wasn't so serious you'd laugh.
    Yup! The man speaking on Liveline just now pointed out there are no checks on anyone landing from Milan today at Dublin Airport. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

if the majority of cases took place in Hubei then we have to look at the data from Hubei, we don't know if the virus behaves differently depending on the geographical location or ethnicity. So it's still good data

Fatality rate outside of China is lower, but in this case the sample is small
    Personally i feel more confident with a bigger sample rather than a selective smaller one, but i do agree that China is not the best source of data

It is not lower in Iran where it has most likely mutated. 20% fatalities in Iran.

cnocbui wrote: »
    ... in the garden shed. I'll be looking after her though, Taking her meals on paper plates and incinerating them afterwards. I've even got her a chemical toilet. Theres' no shower, but it rains frequently so she can just stand outside when it does.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

Was just having a look at worldimeters. Has anyone else noticed that the numbers are wrong for some of the countries? For example phillipines it says total cases is 3 but recovered cases is 333. And also France doesn’t add up as well. If they are making mistakes like this I’m just wondering how reliable are any of those figures on worldometers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) remains confident that this summer's Tokyo Games can take place as planned, despite a growing number of sports events being cancelled around the world.

"The preparations for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 continue as planned. Countermeasures against infectious diseases constitute an important part of Tokyo 2020's plans to host a safe and secure Games," the IOC said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Iran denies virus coverup after claim of 50 deaths
    Iran's government vowed to be transparent after being accused of covering up the deadliest coronavirus outbreak outside China, dismissing a lawmaker's claim the toll could be as high as 50.

The government announced Iran's coronavirus death toll had jumped by four to 12 - by far the highest outside China.

But Ahmad Amirabadi Farahani, a lawmaker from the holy city of Qom, south of Tehran, alleged the government was "lying".

"As of last night, about 50 people have died" from the coronavirus in Qom alone, ILNA news agency, which is close to reformists, quoted him as saying after a closed session of parliament on the crisis.

The government rejected the claim.

It is not lower in Iran where it has most likely mutated. 20% fatalities in Iran.

I did a rough calculation looking at the top 8 countries outside China (that includes Iran)
    I used the quick formula Deaths / Total cases
    All countries = 3%
    All except China = 1.4%

but the disproportion between the two sample sizes makes the comparison not very relevant in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Interesting to see how much the Dow Jones drops today.
    If it's anything like Eurostocks 3-4% down the toilet is the conservative estimate.

The gold stores over in Detroit will be eyeing up anyone walking by their stores, that has a gold $1680^ tooth or bit of gangsta bling, entice them in with free fried chicken.

• Advertisement

Dpg21 wrote: »
    Was just having a look at worldimeters. Has anyone else noticed that the numbers are wrong for some of the countries? For example phillipines it says total cases is 3 but recovered cases is 333. And also France doesn’t add up as well. If they are making mistakes like this I’m just wondering how reliable are any of those figures on worldometers

it says Philippines 3, recovered cases 2
    France 12 cases, 10 recovery, 1 critical, they seem to add up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I did a rough calculation looking at the top 8 countries outside China (that includes Iran)
    I used the quick formula Deaths / Total cases
    Highly irrelevant, as most of these are brand new cases
    e.g. Italy has gone from 150 yesterday to 200 today, was only 100 couple days ago.

The WuFlu takes 2-3wks to run it's course.
    Even that duration is ignoring secondary complications.

Recovery rate of China (largest by far dataset) is only 30%.
    The rest is either 'pending' or 'pushing up daisies'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

"Expert" on Liveline, it's no worse than flu, take a deep breath lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Listening to Liveline here, they are saying check the HSE website for the latest info ...

christ..

That’s not what’s showing up for me on my phone? How the hell do I attach a screen shot on this site? Lol

fritzelly wrote: »
    "Expert" on Liveline, it's no worse than flu, take a deep breath lol

We're really screwed so.

The Taoiseach has claimed that a "very severe flu season" has exacerbated the level of overcrowding in the country's hospitals.
    According to the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation (INMO), the trolley crisis has reached a record level, with 760 admitted patients waiting for beds.
    - January 2020 in the Irish Independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

If it's anything like Eurostocks 3-4% down the toilet is the conservative estimate.

The gold stores over in Detroit will be eyeing up anyone walking by their stores, that has a gold $1680^ tooth or bit of gangsta bling, entice them in with free fried chicken.

Kinda racist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Liveline, usually the best source in Ireland for rampant hysteria, is coming across as calm and reasoned compared to some of the posts on this thread.

Now Oman is reporting 2 cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Liveline, usually the best source in Ireland for rampant hysteria, is coming across as calm and reasoned compared to some of the posts on this thread.

Thats because this thread is basically the Diamond Princess of boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement