Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That’s an extremely disingenuous statement to make.
    Pre-Repeal, over 10k women a year travelled abroad to access abortion services.
    With the diagnosis the parents got & the action they chose to take its likely they would have just gone to the UK if the service wasn’t available here.

Stating the child would definitely be alive if the 8th hadn’t been repealed is extremely dishonest when you have no way of knowing that.

I think you are wrong there.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/abortion-women-travel-england-4681511-Jun2019/
    New figures show that the number of Irish women travelling to England and Wales for abortions dropped to 2,879 in 2018 – a decrease from 3,019 in 2017.

Figures on Irish women who travel to the UK for abortions are published every year by the UK’s Department of Health. Since 2001, there has been a 57% decrease in Irish women travelling to the UK for an abortion.

So if the abortion pill is responsible for the fall, maybe better use of contraception, I don't know, but lets say it is all down to the abortion pill, if we add 57% to 3,000, it would be around 4,700 abortions.
    Maybe now with abortion having been normalised in the country, the figure has risen in response to legalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I am not sure ignoring a persons answer and then claiming they did not answer is suggesting that it is THEIR position "falling asunder" to be honest :)

Sorry, I must have missed your answer.

What was it again? 6 weeks and 2 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

beejee wrote: »
    Yeah, to one question, and without including any tangible answer.

You not liking or understanding an answer does not mean I did not give one. My answer was clear, coherent, and in plain english.
    Can't answer? Or won't?

I gave an answer. It just does not come in the form YOU want it to. But you do not get to dictate what other peoples answers are. You say "the answer is a number". No. It is not. YOURS might be. That does not mean mine has to be.

You not liking or understanding an answer does not mean I did not give one. My answer was clear, coherent, and in plain english.

I gave an answer. It just does not come in the form YOU want it to. But you do not get to dictate what other peoples answers are. You say "the answer is a number". No. It is not. YOURS might be. That does not mean mine has to be.

So you won't answer.

You'll talk out your pipe about your ethics and philosophies and laws and ifs and maybes and buts.

But at the end of the day, for all your "really important stuff", you can't even answer the simplest bloody question in the beginners guide to abortion.

Full of shyt, that's what your answer is. And you full well know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

DubInMeath wrote: »
    I think that you need to build a bridge and go live under it.

Leave it to the mods to deal with determine the "residential status" of posters.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I must have missed your answer.

What was it again? 6 weeks and 2 days?

Not great on the old reading are you? I can copy and paste my answer to help you. But remember you WANTING a numerical answer does not mean I have to give one. You asked a question and I gave MY answer to it. Not yours. Mine.

In terms of biology I do not really disagree MUCH with your simplistic "fusion" notion. The biological life of a new individual entity pretty much can be said to start there. No one appears to be disagree with you on that. We could get pedantic, talking about how it is not yet distinct from the mother, or how it is not really the beginning of life but just one step in an ongoing life CYCLE. But it would be pointless. I think we can flag that as common ground.

In terms of philosophy, which is actually what is relevant to abortion in a way biology is not, I think Life (again, capital L here to make the distinction) starts when the entity attains the faculty of sentience. The biological starting point is simply not ethically relevant to my mind, nor has anyone in over 20 years discussing and researching this debate given me a single argument why it might/should.
    So you won't answer.

I will not give the answer YOU want no. But I did answer.

I think biological life can safely be said to start at conception in most senses.

The Life of a Human Person however I believe starts when the faculty of sentience/consciousness arises. We do not know an exact time line on that. I do not think there even is one. There is no on/off moment I suspect.Rather it is a slow boot up process over several weeks. Likely somewhere between week 28 and week 34 of gestation. Estimations vary.

What we do know however is that a fetus at 12 weeks or 16 weeks.... you know when nearly all abortions by choice actually occur.... are a LONG way from having not just that faculty, but nearly all of it's pre-requisites too. I see no reason to consider that a "Life" in anything but the basic biological sense.
    Full of shyt, that's what your answer is. And you full well know it.

Oh so now suddenly you are acknowledging that i did answer. Despite dishonestly claiming I did not. Funny that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I wouldn't consider myself necessarily "anti abortion", but it is interesting to pressure certain opinions and watch them fall asunder.

Watch carefully as the other poster tries to slink and slide out of the easiest questions.

And for that reason alone, it is worth "engaging", as it becomes readily apparent just how full of shyt some beliefs are.

And also, I'll add, how some are more than happy to "not engage", for fear of exposure.
    I'll be perfectly honest. I wouldn't hesitate to have an abortion if I got pregnant. I've never wanted children and have made sure that I've been very careful with contraception. If I got pregnant I wouldn't even consider an alternative to an abortion. I'm delighted that all the women on this island can now choose to have an abortion and not need to go abroad for one. A person doesn't have to be pro abortion to understand that some women will want abortions and that's all there is to it.

If somebody finds it against their religion or their own morality then they can choose to go ahead with a pregnancy if they get pregnant, any other woman's body or what she does with it or her choices around her pregnancy are nobody else's business. I know that there are still people who believe they can somehow overturn the legislation in the future, the Catholic church had it's day and it's day is done.The day's of being able to inflict views on others or control women are long over.

Not great on the old reading are you? I can copy and paste my answer to help you. But remember you WANTING a numerical answer does not mean I have to give one. You asked a question and I gave MY answer to it. Not yours. Mine.

In terms of biology I do not really disagree MUCH with your simplistic "fusion" notion. The biological life of a new individual entity pretty much can be said to start there. No one appears to be disagree with you on that. We could get pedantic, talking about how it is not yet distinct from the mother, or how it is not really the beginning of life but just one step in an ongoing life CYCLE. But it would be pointless. I think we can flag that as common ground.

In terms of philosophy, which is actually what is relevant to abortion in a way biology is not, I think Life (again, capital L here to make the distinction) starts when the entity attains the faculty of sentience. The biological starting point is simply not ethically relevant to my mind, nor has anyone in over 20 years discussing and researching this debate given me a single argument why it might/should.

I will not give the answer YOU want no. But I did answer.

I think biological life can safely be said to start at conception in most senses.

The Life of a Human Person however I believe starts when the faculty of sentience/consciousness arises. We do not know an exact time line on that. I do not think there even is one. There is no on/off moment I suspect.Rather it is a slow boot up process over several weeks. Likely somewhere between week 28 and week 34 of gestation. Estimations vary.

What we do know however is that a fetus at 12 weeks or 16 weeks.... you know when nearly all abortions by choice actually occur.... are a LONG way from having not just that faculty, but nearly all of it's pre-requisites too. I see no reason to consider that a "Life" in anything but the basic biological sense.

Oh so now suddenly you are acknowledging that i did answer. Despite dishonestly claiming I did not. Funny that. :)

"what is 2+2?"

"well it's very complicated, you can't just give an answer. Philosophically, "" what are numbers"" anyway? Ethically, I don't believe I should have to answer, and morally the answer is 17"

Yeah, very useful information that amounts to diddly squat.

It's all convenient excuses. You know that if you had an answer, an actual numerical answer to a numerical question, you'd have to stick to it. You'd have to justify it. You'd have to have conviction and actual founded belief.

But, if you talk in circles, you can bend waffle to mean whatever you want, whenever you want.

How convenient.

And when one considers that such slithering avoidance is put into practice against indisputable simplistic fact, just imagine the mental meltdowns of engaging with that crap in actually complicated issues.

No wonder people are walking around in a daze in this country, they're being bombarded with double-speak shoite day in day out. What a strategy.

It's all convenient excuses. You know that if you had an answer, an actual numerical answer to a numerical question, you'd have to stick to it.

That is what I said though isn't it? We do not KNOW an exact numerical answer. At least I am honest about that. We have a numerical RANGE which I gave you. But that is all we currently have. I am not going to lie and make up a number, just to satisfy an incoherent demand.

I am not sure what you think "excuses" are required however. You have not established a single moral and ethical argument against the termination of a 12 week old fetus. Therefore there is nothing that requires any excuses, because there does not seem to be anything wrong with it in the first place.

Maybe you differ, but I tend not to seek justification for actions that require no justification in the first place.

My moral and ethical concern is for sentient agents only. I have no moral or ethical concern for entirely non-sentient individual entities. Rocks. Tables Legs. 12 week old fetuses. Bacteria. Potatoes. And so on.

That is what I said though isn't it? We do not KNOW an exact numerical answer. At least I am honest about that. We have a numerical RANGE which I gave you. But that is all we currently have. I am not going to lie and make up a number, just to satisfy an incoherent demand.

I am not sure what you think "excuses" are required however. You have not established a single moral and ethical argument against the termination of a 12 week old fetus. Therefore there is nothing that requires any excuses, because there does not seem to be anything wrong with it in the first place.

Maybe you differ, but I tend not to seek justification for actions that require no justification in the first place.

My moral and ethical concern is for sentient agents only. I have no moral or ethical concern for entirely non-sentient individual entities. Rocks. Tables Legs. 12 week old fetuses. Bacteria. Potatoes. And so on.

But there IS an exact answer. Life begins at cellular fusion.

You say "we don't know", so that means you don't agree with cellular fusion. Why you believe this? Who knows?!

You keep accusing me of not using any ethical, moral etc arguments. That's because I'm not trying to make one.

Yet, when I ask you what the sum total knowledge of philosophy et al amounts to, the thing you accuse me of not having, you've got nothing to say.

It's waffle, convenient, go-nowhere waffle.

If you can't give a plain answer to a simple question, why on earth would anyone engage you on a complicated level?

I don't think you're genuine. I think it's sneaking behind it all, intellectual cowardice.

You can prove those statements wrong by providing an answer that is short and sweet and appropriate. Not waffle. Not "I have time to tell you I answered in the most roundabout confusing way possible but not enough time to answer" stuff.

• Advertisement

But there IS an exact answer. Life begins at cellular fusion.

In biology terms yes, I already said that. I am not sure why you are repeating it at me. You keep saying people disagree with that but you have yet to show me who these "people" are. Who are they exactly? I have not met one yet.
    You say "we don't know", so that means you don't agree with cellular fusion. Why you believe this? Who knows?!

I said I do not know when the Life of a Human Person exactly starts. I believe it starts when the faculty of sentience arises. We do not currently know exactly when that is. Do you?
    If you can't give a plain answer to a simple question

Once again you pretending an answer was not given, does not mean an answer was not given. Pretending it is not there is just a cop out move to not engage with it. Pretending I have to give the answer YOU want rather than the answer I actually give is too.

In biology terms yes, I already said that. I am not sure why you are repeating it at me. You keep saying people disagree with that but you have yet to show me who these "people" are. Who are they exactly? I have not met one yet.

I said I do not know when the Life of a Human Person exactly starts. I believe it starts when the faculty of sentience arises. We do not currently know exactly when that is. Do you?

Once again you pretending an answer was not given, does not mean an answer was not given. Pretending it is not there is just a cop out move to not engage with it. Pretending I have to give the answer YOU want rather than the answer I actually give is too.

Why do you keep splitting answers into different areas?

In the world of biology it's this answer, in the world of ethics it's this answer...

So? What's the final answer? All combined? You said it's all important to consider. You've obviously considered it. So...

"I don't know". Is that the sum total of all this?

Do you just not know? You have no personal belief derived from it all?

Why do you keep splitting answers into different areas?

To try and get you to answer? While pretending I did not answer, when I did, you have managed not to answer my direct questions. Again: Who exactly are these "people" you are talking about? Perhaps if I could figure out who they are I will get a more coherent picture of their position than you have thus far provided vicariously on their behalf. I suspect these people are straw men of your construction and aside from a small handful of random individuals they do not actually exist outside your imagination.
    So? What's the final answer? All combined? You said it's all important to consider. You've obviously considered it. So... "I don't know". Is that the sum total of all this?

I think on the subject of abortion it is important to consider when the fetus becomes an entity for which we should have moral and ethical concern. Absolutely. I think it not just important, I think it is KEY.

I think it becomes such when sentience arises in it. We do not know EXACTLY when this is, but we have a general ball park figure. In fact I believe there IS no "exact" value. I think it varies from fetus to fetus a little. And I think it is likely not a simple on/off process but a drawn out iterative one over the course of some time.

However I also know that all our science suggests this happens LONG after abortion usually occurs. It happens somewhere after 28 weeks. The near totality of choice based abortion happens at 12 weeks. And it is for this reason that A) I think the biological "start" of life is irrelevant and B) I see absolutely nothing morally or ethically wrong with such abortion and C) I do not think people are actually disagreeing with the biological "start" of life despite your pretence and imagination to the contrary.

What part of that answer is not clear to you?

To try and get you to answer? While pretending I did not answer, when I did, you have managed not to answer my direct questions. Again: Who exactly are these "people" you are talking about? Perhaps if I could figure out who they are I will get a more coherent picture of their position than you have thus far provided vicariously on their behalf. I suspect these people are straw men of your construction and aside from a small handful of random individuals they do not actually exist outside your imagination.

I think on the subject of abortion it is important to consider when the fetus becomes an entity for which we should have moral and ethical concern. Absolutely. I think it not just important, I think it is KEY.

I think it becomes such when sentience arises in it. We do not know EXACTLY when this is, but we have a general ball park figure. In fact I believe there IS no "exact" value. I think it varies from fetus to fetus a little. And I think it is likely not a simple on/off process but a drawn out iterative one over the course of some time.

However I also know that all our science suggests this happens LONG after abortion usually occurs. It happens somewhere after 28 weeks. The near totality of choice based abortion happens at 12 weeks. And it is for this reason that A) I think the biological "start" of life is irrelevant and B) I see absolutely nothing morally or ethically wrong with such abortion and C) I do not think people are actually disagreeing with the biological "start" of life despite your pretence and imagination to the contrary.

What part of that answer is not clear to you?

So you believe life only begins at sentience.

Id ask "why?" but what's the point.

Do you think it's convenient that your personal, ill-defined definition of life just so happens to be after most people get abortions?

It's handy, that.

Have you ever had an ethical conversation with yourself that doesn't end up justifying what you want? Food for thought.

And I'm done with this. An exercise in frustration that went nowhere except back to hazy, vague convenient beliefs. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Whatever the legal and moral implications , I want to extend my commisarations (is that the right word ?) To the parents. Awful choice to have to make, then to be told " we ****ed up ". It must be devastating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

"what is 2+2?"

"well it's very complicated, you can't just give an answer. Philosophically, "" what are numbers"" anyway? Ethically, I don't believe I should have to answer, and morally the answer is 17"

Yeah, very useful information that amounts to diddly squat.

It's all convenient excuses. You know that if you had an answer, an actual numerical answer to a numerical question, you'd have to stick to it. You'd have to justify it. You'd have to have conviction and actual founded belief.

But, if you talk in circles, you can bend waffle to mean whatever you want, whenever you want.

How convenient.

And when one considers that such slithering avoidance is put into practice against indisputable simplistic fact, just imagine the mental meltdowns of engaging with that crap in actually complicated issues.

No wonder people are walking around in a daze in this country, they're being bombarded with double-speak shoite day in day out. What a strategy.

Cognitive dissonance

We are the most deluded and denial Reenforcing clan in the western world.

Its just huge approval seeking on a global scale.

Doesn't take much to develop a group think here.

Recycling the same garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It is understood the case concerns a couple who were told their baby had a fatal foetal abnormality and that an abortion was then carried out at over 15 weeks.

It was thought the baby had Trisomy18, also known as Edwards Syndrome, but a series of genetic tests later found that that was not the case.
    The rapid test can give a false positive. “That’s why it is necessary to look at the total picture. If there is no ultrasound abnormality most laboratories recommend to wait for the full two weeks,” he explained.

“But some patients are not prepared to wait the two weeks and want to continue to termination. Generally we recommend that they get the total picture,” he added.
    I wonder did they wait the two weeks?

So not answering the question then? Run forest run!
    So you believe life only begins at sentience.

I believe "Life" as in personhood begins then yes. And I think that is what most people mean when they talk about "Life" in the context of abortion.

I think the reason you can not answer the question about who these people are is because of that. There is pretty much NO ONE disagreeing with the biological terminology of when "life" begins. You just pretended there was and when called on it, and explained what they likely were saying, you have basically run away from the original claim.

What I suspect people are actually doing is the same thing I am doing. Making a distinction between biological "life" and the "Life" of a human being. And you could not tell the difference.

Hopefully now you can. IF nothing else I hope I did you that service so you do not embarrass yourself with a sweeping claim without foundation like that one again.
    Do you think it's convenient that your personal, ill-defined definition of life just so happens to be after most people get abortions?

I am not sure convenient is the right word. I could not care less one way or another. My interest is in what is TRUE about the world. My interest is in forming morals and ethics that are couched in what is real and important in our world.

If sentience arose before most abortions occurred I would campaign AGAINST abortion. I would be on this thread arguing AGAINST abortion with the same passion I argue for choice.

It doesn't, so I don't.

I think what you are trying to suggest, from your strawman collection again, is that I am invested in abortion so I just went looking for arguments to support that position. Nothing could be further from the truth. My moral and ethical world view was formed first. My position on abortion came as a result of that, not a pre-requisite of it.
    Have you ever had an ethical conversation with yourself that doesn't end up justifying what you want? Food for thought.

Very often in fact yes. For example I find the fact I a meat eater very hard to justify given the current state of meat farming. While I try to source my meat as ethically as humanly possible, I realise that I eat meat DESPITE my morality on the issue and that I am on the subject of meat basically immoral and a hypocrite.

I do all I can to improve the ethics around meat farming, but I am weak and I have not the moral character to become vegetarian. But yes, that is one example of MANY where I have had ethical conversations with myself that do not justify what I want. There are others. Most of them I stay true to my moral conclusions and deny myself the thing I want. For some reason when it comes to meat, I am quite weak however.
    And I'm done with this. An exercise in frustration that went nowhere except back to hazy, vague convenient beliefs. Good luck.

Well then if you ever wish to return and attempt to NOT rely solely on those vague convenient beliefs you might find it less frustrating. I know I do, which is why I put a lot of effort in the last 20 years to form a coherent, rational, evidence based approach to the otherwise emotive topic of abortion. You should try it.

I would like to test out "Nozzferrahhtoo's first law of internet posting" however which states that "The probability of a user posting again in a conversation goes up in direct proportion to the number of times they claim to be finished" :) It is a law I made up as a joke, but has been validated many more times than not in he past. Let's see if it strikes again shall we? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

judeboy101 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/holles-st-review-termination-of-pregnancy-4639179-May2019/

interesting one. Docs obviously fecked up test but mother didn't want a dodgy baby
    Can you correct your post its not a baby at 15 weeks.

I don't get what the fuss was about?

I believe "Life" as in personhood begins then yes. And I think that is what most people mean when they talk about "Life" in the context of abortion.

I think the reason you can not answer the question about who these people are is because of that. There is pretty much NO ONE disagreeing with the biological terminology of when "life" begins. You just pretended there was and when called on it, and explained what they likely were saying, you have basically run away from the original claim.

What I suspect people are actually doing is the same thing I am doing. Making a distinction between biological "life" and the "Life" of a human being. And you could not tell the difference.

Hopefully now you can. IF nothing else I hope I did you that service so you do not embarrass yourself with a sweeping claim without foundation like that one again.

I am not sure convenient is the right word. I could not care less one way or another. My interest is in what is TRUE about the world. My interest is in forming morals and ethics that are couched in what is real and important in our world.

If sentience arose before most abortions occurred I would campaign AGAINST abortion. I would be on this thread arguing AGAINST abortion with the same passion I argue for choice.

It doesn't, so I don't.

I think what you are trying to suggest, from your strawman collection again, is that I am invested in abortion so I just went looking for arguments to support that position. Nothing could be further from the truth. My moral and ethical world view was formed first. My position on abortion came as a result of that, not a pre-requisite of it.

Very often in fact yes. For example I find the fact I a meat eater very hard to justify given the current state of meat farming. While I try to source my meat as ethically as humanly possible, I realise that I eat meat DESPITE my morality on the issue and that I am on the subject of meat basically immoral and a hypocrite.

I do all I can to improve the ethics around meat farming, but I am weak and I have not the moral character to become vegetarian. But yes, that is one example of MANY where I have had ethical conversations with myself that do not justify what I want. There are others. Most of them I stay true to my moral conclusions and deny myself the thing I want. For some reason when it comes to meat, I am quite weak however.

Well then if you ever wish to return and attempt to NOT rely solely on those vague convenient beliefs you might find it less frustrating. I know I do, which is why I put a lot of effort in the last 20 years to form a coherent, rational, evidence based approach to the otherwise emotive topic of abortion. You should try it.

I would like to test out "Nozzferrahhtoo's first law of internet posting" however which states that "The probability of a user posting again in a conversation goes up in direct proportion to the number of times they claim to be finished" :) It is a law I made up as a joke, but has been validated many more times than not in he past. Let's see if it strikes again shall we? :)

To the bolded: are you seriously insinuating that my arguments are vague etc? You have literally replaced my argument by putting yourself into my sentence. Are you mental?

To the point. Here is the choice at hand:

1) believe in straight up biology that presents the simple truth that life begins at cellular fusion. It is simple. Easily understood. Clearly defined, right down to a divisible second of time, nano seconds if you like. It presents a barrier to many abortion arguments and opinions.

2) believe in something far more vague, in your case, sentience. It isn't clearly defined, it isn't intuitive, it can't be pinned down to time and so on. In other words, very convenient for certain abortion arguments. Very handy belief to have!

So, you'll excuse me if I suspect that anyone who prefers vague beliefs that can change on a dime, versus basic biology.

Imagine that the likes of nasa found a cellularly differentiating "thing" on another planet, only to declare, "no big deal, it's just a "yoke".

:p

Hence MY argument on vague, hazy, malleable "reasoning". Get it?

• Advertisement

Well nozzferrahhtoos law strikes again it seems :) I notice you STILL did not answer the question though? You can't can you?
    To the bolded: are you seriously insinuating that my arguments are vague etc?

Well yes! Very much. You have talked about some vague "people" who are making some vague comments about when "life" starts but when asked who these people are, and what they are actually saying and where, you simply run away.

So yes, given that lack of response for you I think calling your position "vague" here is actually quite restrained.

Get it?
    1) believe in straight up biology that presents the simple truth that life begins at cellular fusion. It is simple. Easily understood. Clearly defined, right down to a divisible second of time, nano seconds if you like. It presents a barrier to many abortion arguments and opinions.

That's just it though. It does not present any such barrier at all. Nor have you explained why it presents one, just declared that it does! So.... vague again it seems!! Consistent at least.

Get it?
    2) believe in something far more vague, in your case, sentience. It isn't clearly defined

And yet there is no moral argument against abortion without it. In fact without it there would seemingly not even be morality or ethics in the first place! If morality and ethics are not in the business of mediating the well being of sentient creatures... then what IS it for exactly?

Get it?
    Imagine that the likes of nasa found a cellularly differentiating "thing" on another planet, only to declare, "no big deal, it's just a "yoke".

Well it would be a big deal because it would teach us about life, would forward our understanding of the universe and biology, and much more. However would we have any moral concern for any individual within it's species? I doubt it. I can think of no reason why we would. The moment it's existence threatens our well being, we would not hesitate to annihilate it. In fact if we found some alien dog for example, it likely would not be long before we kill it cut it open and see how it works inside. We would have likely little to no moral concern for it. We would hack it to pieces quite likely.

Now if we found a SENTIENT species on another planet, with a sentience akin to our own for example, that would likely change everything. Or if we created a genuine artificial intelligence on our planet, we would likely be compelled to have moral and ethical concern towards it's well being.

If I could separate your mind from your body and ask your loved ones which one they want to save, because I will destroy the other.... I think we both know which they would choose and why.

If a person was running from a burning building and could save a box with 100 spiders, or a box with one SINGLE cat... again I think we know which they would save and why.

In every case it is not the underlying biology that is valued. It is the relative level of sentience and conscous experience and capacity for well being and suffering that is likely the most important attribute in play.

So regale me: What moral and ethical concern should we have, and why, towards a not just slightly but ENTIRELY non-sentient agent. Do you even know?

Get it?
    Hence MY argument on vague, hazy, malleable "reasoning". Get it?

Oh yes I get your argument on vague lazy malleable "reasoning". I am just hoping at some point you will present one that is NOT vague, hazy, malleable "reasoning" and is based on something concrete.

Get it?

It doesn't, so I don't.

Do you enjoy this?

Titclamp wrote: »
    Do you enjoy this?

Do I enjoy coming to a forum created for the purposes of discussion and debate.... and then engaging in discussion and debate?

Well yes, I do. It would be seriously an odd thing to do if I didn't doncha think? :)

Do you enjoy it?

Do I enjoy coming to a forum created for the purposes of discussion and debate.... and then engaging in discussion and debate?

Well yes, I do. It would be seriously an odd thing to do if I didn't doncha think? :)

Do you enjoy it?

It passes time when I'm neurotically bored.

Well nozzferrahhtoos law strikes again it seems :) I notice you STILL did not answer the question though? You can't can you?

Well yes! Very much. You have talked about some vague "people" who are making some vague comments about when "life" starts but when asked who these people are, and what they are actually saying and where, you simply run away.

So yes, given that lack of response for you I think calling your position "vague" here is actually quite restrained.

Get it?

That's just it though. It does not present any such barrier at all. Nor have you explained why it presents one, just declared that it does! So.... vague again it seems!! Consistent at least.

Get it?

And yet there is no moral argument against abortion without it. In fact without it there would seemingly not even be morality or ethics in the first place! If morality and ethics are not in the business of mediating the well being of sentient creatures... then what IS it for exactly?

Get it?

Well it would be a big deal because it would teach us about life, would forward our understanding of the universe and biology, and much more. However would we have any moral concern for any individual within it's species? I doubt it. I can think of no reason why we would. The moment it's existence threatens our well being, we would not hesitate to annihilate it. In fact if we found some alien dog for example, it likely would not be long before we kill it cut it open and see how it works inside. We would have likely little to no moral concern for it. We would hack it to pieces quite likely.

Now if we found a SENTIENT species on another planet, with a sentience akin to our own for example, that would likely change everything. Or if we created a genuine artificial intelligence on our planet, we would likely be compelled to have moral and ethical concern towards it's well being.

If I could separate your mind from your body and ask your loved ones which one they want to save, because I will destroy the other.... I think we both know which they would choose and why.

If a person was running from a burning building and could save a box with 100 spiders, or a box with one SINGLE cat... again I think we know which they would save and why.

In every case it is not the underlying biology that is valued. It is the relative level of sentience and conscous experience and capacity for well being and suffering that is likely the most important attribute in play.

So regale me: What moral and ethical concern should we have, and why, towards a not just slightly but ENTIRELY non-sentient agent. Do you even know?

Get it?

Oh yes I get your argument on vague lazy malleable "reasoning". I am just hoping at some point you will present one that is NOT vague, hazy, malleable "reasoning" and is based on something concrete.

Get it?

"i'm vague? no you're vague!". You have the reasoning of a child.

All this argument over the one of the easiest to grasp concepts in science. What does that say about your "20 years" of deep thought?!

You completely ignore points, fabricate others, and, I believe, intentionally misconstrue.

It is clear to anyone reading this exchange. Your one hope is that you can hide your shortcomings underneath an avalanche of spurious text.

And lastly, if something was found on Mars by nasa, and it wasn't YET sentient enough for you by some make-it-up-as-you-go amount of time, you'd be the kind of dope to stand on it and kill it.

Pointless, pointless, pointless. You have agitated me with your simpleton evasions, and I can only assure you that in person, in an actual debate, I would make a holy show of you.

But, it's the Internet, and another lump of time lost to eejits.

Now, let me guess... Everything I just said, you'll reverse it. Genius . Good bleedin' night :p

Titclamp wrote: »
    It passes time when I'm neurotically bored.

It passes time when I am working and have to wait for things to happen in the background :)

"i'm vague? no you're vague!". You have the reasoning of a child.

And back to insults again, the circle is complete. But I repeat yes it is vague. You are talking about some "people" but refuse to answer who they are. You say that they are making comments about when life begins, but refuse to tell us WHAT they are saying.

Vague is an understatement.
    You completely ignore points, fabricate others, and, I believe, intentionally misconstrue.

I have not fabricated anything. Show me something I said that was not true?

The rest of your post is off topic fantasy and invective, I will not entertain.

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

At 15 weeks the embryo kicks and moves and in the parents minds is a baby. To have THAT taken away on a misdiagnosis is horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The newspapers love emotive language.

Advertisement