Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

round 2 of the GC Loader preorders are up here

GC Loader is an SD card replacement for the game cube optical drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Where was that arcade anyway? Seems to be a seaside premises. Wonder did they have the classic stuff on the floor in recent years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Skerries, they’d classic stuff on the floor until a few months ago, I think Keith posted about it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Ahh. I meant to go there 3 or 4 years ago didn't get around to it. Wish I had now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Skerries, they’d classic stuff on the floor until a few months ago, I think Keith posted about it here

None of it worked though. There was issues with literally everything. And not just slight issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dav09

Everything, 2/20 Skerries goliaths CRTs we got worked, think all had dead game boards somehow. Some chassis issues, some tube issues and everything in between. I thought by matter of odds more would work but clearly not. Everything else was eBay prices except with issues. Unfortunately when I were there most of the stuff was in tiny storage cabinets and shipping containers, where I had to climb machines up, over and crawl under, made for some entertainment for the owner. I have some interesting photos from that experience, one I won't forget to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I was last out in that arcade in Skerries about a year ago. Nearly everything was in bits, you wouldn't have taken some of the cabs if you got them for nothing. It was a good spot in the eighties and nineties but had gone severely downhill since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Does make you wonder, if everything was in bits, why even open the doors to the public? How did they make any money?

I see in that article he noted that the Outrun wasn't for sale, wonder where that ended up?

That article they posted about getting the cabs was good. But all I could think of was the amount of money they must have paid for them when it’s all added up. I mean not just the cabs that are rumoured to have been expensive , (and mostly not working ) but flights , renting trucks !! Bringing them back from Ireland on the boat etc , it must have been a fortune in the end.

It looked like a laugh and a good time , but it’s no wonder they where sitting there untouched in Bobs for so long at those prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

o1s1n wrote: »
    Does make you wonder, if everything was in bits, why even open the doors to the public? How did they make any money?

I see in that article he noted that the Outrun wasn't for sale, wonder where that ended up?

They had slot machines in back, I'd say that kept them ticking over. The Outrun cab was actually working, I played it while I was there. It wasn't in great condition but it did work.

They kind of had two separate sections open. One with all the slot machines , a pool table and the working games. Outrun , point blank , superman in a Goliath I think and one or two others.

Then the other section where nothing worked. The coin pushers even while moving , didn’t have a single coin in them ! Afterburner the plane vanished off screen when you went left with the joystick ! 4 goliaths lined up where you could see nothing on screen the graphics where so messed up. Multiple games not even turned on. Honestly in that side , the larger side, absolutely nothing worked. It was still cool to see them though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wish I had gone there more often it's literally down the road from where my parents live. Sad to see the place gutted. They always had a good few weird games there you wouldn't see anywhere else. Discovered a lot of my favourite arcade games there. Raiden, Outzone, Konami Asterix, Shinobi, Neo Geo Double Dragon. Lots of childhood memories.

Big money yeah. Arcade club seem to do very well, and seem to be willing to pay a lot for cabs. There's been arguments for years over them being "anti-community" for pushing up prices by paying over the odds, but I disagree. It's up to them to pay whatever they want, and are doing a great service to the community for having the locations they have.

Outrun worked last time I played but monitor wasn't great, I dont think the steering was great too, I was told that and afterburner were already "sold" whatever that meant.

They had cabs on the floor, I would say 60% of them work but some had issues, a lot were off. When I went back the last time they had done a lot, took most of the cabs that weren't working off the floor and swapped them, made the place smaller while they were renovating one part.

There has to be cabs still there BTW, thinking now about the stuff I seen in the back, I doubt they are for sale and pretty sure I was told they're not, but the likes of Killer Instinct original, Sega Rally, Daytona, Scud deluxe 4p I think. Not sure if they got both championship sprints but the price of each was in the thousands I believe (and not working). Not as good of a game as Supersprint too. I'd say they'll put them out onto the floor next year and have probably kept some goliaths too. Red tent was about 2 grand and had screen burn I believe and issues.

They had hundreds of cabs, almost sure it'll be back open, don't think it was fully gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭geotrig

dav09 wrote: »
    Big money yeah. Arcade club seem to do very well, and seem to be willing to pay a lot for cabs. There's been arguments for years over them being "anti-community" for pushing up prices by paying over the odds, but I disagree. It's up to them to pay whatever they want, and are doing a great service to the community for having the locations they have.

As it stands now most are happy to see arcade club snap up these cabs as its saving rare cabs and more from destruction as everyone seems to benefit with A/C being open to the public , but when andy started snapping up all jamma cabs it was pretty much was "anti-community" and the opposite of what the forums where about ,they have mostly changed for the worse (i never was a huge fan of j+ and vac has changed drasticially ) , at that point though AC didn't exist so people were not happy about every cab being horded/snapped up , at least now that has eased off on std jamma cabs and people can buys cabs again and leave the expensive rare stuff for AC.:D

Hopefully it’s still there. I go there once every summer with the family. It’s a tradition at this stage.

The right side with sega rally twin, outrun, point blank, superman and vendetta is always open. It's open mainly used by people for the slots out the back. Outrun's coin slot is faulty and is a pain to get it to take your money.

It's only for a few months in the summer that the big right side opens up and the kid fun fair rides out the front.

The right side with sega rally twin, outrun, point blank, superman and vendetta is always open. It's open mainly used by people for the slots out the back. Outrun's coin slot is faulty and is a pain to get it to take your money.

It's only for a few months in the summer that the big right side opens up and the kid fun fair rides out the front.

It's gone I'm afraid.

It was this summer, but when I went back in September that area was empty. Owner told me they are renovating it but not sure exactly what the plans are, nothing was in there and was sad to see, no poker/ slot or anything. Small shop was moved to the left side too.

interesting, I'll have to make a visit again soon to check it out. The building itself is probably worth a fortune for redevelopment with the amazing sea views. It's a lovely area to visit.

interesting, I'll have to make a visit again soon to check it out. The building itself is probably worth a fortune for redevelopment with the amazing sea views. It's a lovely area to visit.

It is, skerries is a nice location, if I'm ever up around again I'll give it a visit, went up on a train once too and some amazing views, really nice day. I might post my photos later, some more stuff in those that people haven't seen. There was also a short movie shot there recently, I'll try remember the name of it.

• Advertisement

I’ve a photo of myself and my brother on the mini Ferris wheel when I was five years old. 35 years later I’ve a photo of my kid and my brothers kid on the exact same Ferris wheel! It’s was like going back in time going there. I hope they open up again with whatever cabs they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That’s the one ! Can’t believe they are selling it.

I highly doubt it is, just a cheap wix site with a generic template, probably more like 1 euro per go on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any room in the back garden? :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any room in the back garden? :D

I could fit that,
    Imagine sitting in it topless with a bag of cans all summer going round and round :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I could fit that,
    Imagine sitting in it topless with a bag of cans all summer going round and round :D

Don't tempt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

None of it worked though. There was issues with literally everything. And not just slight issues.

Just like a certain other spot in Dublin City centre :)

• Advertisement

dav09 wrote: »
    I might post my photos later, some more stuff in those that people haven't seen

Please do!

Advertisement