Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

So I went to Paris

There was Strikes

There was really cold weather

But I made it and had a really fun time. Great food and enjoyed a nice few beers. Also learned some French but honestly can’t see myself using it in normal communication with natives

Finished 13th which is down on expectations but not by much. Really high class field.

This sums up my weekend in competition tbh ;(

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6IgQYWsNubw

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

classic mario kart getting pipped at the finish line by someone with thunder :D

classic mario kart getting pipped at the finish line by someone with thunder :D

It’s a rare situation in Super Mario Kart. Chance of lightning is about 1 in 32 there

But sadly I’m a lightning rod it seems.

I’ve no regrets for the way I played it safe. Could have went for wall jumps but if I’d miss one then I’m giving a chance back.

He didn’t give up. Got the opportunity and took it.

I will get him next time :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So played more X-Wing. It looks like absolute arse but it's still just an amazing game. Also I find it very weird to play a game with insane difficulty spikes. People give out about Dark Souls should try older games! There's some missions you will be trying to beat for ages then the next few are a cake walk.

Looking forward to getting stuck into Tie Fighter later.

They really don't make games like this anymore. I mean Ace Combat 7 might be my favourite game of last year but it's really more a very arcade take on the genre.

So come on Sony, give the people what they really need on PS5 at launch. A new Colony Wars game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sparks43 wrote: »
    So I went to Paris

There was Strikes

There was really cold weather

But I made it and had a really fun time. Great food and enjoyed a nice few beers. Also learned some French but honestly can’t see myself using it in normal communication with natives

Finished 13th which is down on expectations but not by much. Really high class field.

This sums up my weekend in competition tbh ;(

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6IgQYWsNubw
    It was strikes and weather I was thinking of when j was like safe trip, I probably jinxed it, won't say anything before you go to NL jkjk

• Advertisement

It was strikes and weather I was thinking of when j was like safe trip, I probably jinxed it, won't say anything before you go to NL jkjk

Seems I’m going to be down in Limerick in March for Gamerfest. Just got an email asking would I be interested in attending as a guest like I did last November at Insomnia :)

Ofc I’m accepting :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So played more X-Wing. It looks like absolute arse but it's still just an amazing game. Also I find it very weird to play a game with insane difficulty spikes. People give out about Dark Souls should try older games! There's some missions you will be trying to beat for ages then the next few are a cake walk.

Looking forward to getting stuck into Tie Fighter later.

They really don't make games like this anymore. I mean Ace Combat 7 might be my favourite game of last year but it's really more a very arcade take on the genre.

So come on Sony, give the people what they really need on PS5 at launch. A new Colony Wars game!

I really enjoyed Tie Fighter back in the day, I think that genre seemed like a staple at the time, and for a long time, before it faded away.
    VR seemed to have brought them back into the fold somewhat, certainly that VR mission in Star Wars Battlefront was great great fun, just a pity it was so short!
    No Mans Sky then, with it's space combat, is closer to what we used to enjoy, but it's nowhere near as satisfying as the Lucas games of old.
    X-Wing Alliance is a nice update of that particular series, with a strong campaign, while X-Wing Vs Tie-fighter is more of a multiplayer title.

Secret Weapons over Normandy is made by the same guy and is pretty brilliant, and while the theatre of action is very different is shares an awful lot of DNA with the older titles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter had an expansion with a single player campaign which I hear is very good.

I never did finish Tie Fighter, got stuck on a particularly tricky mission trying to defend the emperor in his shuttle. Lazy bastard wouldn't even help with some force lightning. X-Wing alliance came about in a time between me having an old underpowered PC and a brand new one so never got around to it. Pity that the storyline will never be resolved, the failure of that game to sell pretty much killed the genre.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Seems I’m going to be down in Limerick in March for Gamerfest. Just got an email asking would I be interested in attending as a guest like I did last November at Insomnia :)

Ofc I’m accepting :D
    I was only looking at it last week but was in 2 minds, I'll def have to head to it now.
    Thanks for letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Looks like the retro tax is really getting high: https://www.adverts.ie/tv/philips-32-crt-tv-television/19729389

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Saku has some sega stv multi cart lcd game selectors for sale again. Very limited stock and most likely the last run he will do. STV is not emulated well IMHO so these are a great buy and these lcd selectors are so much better compared to the jumper system on the original cart.

Would be perfect if someone could release a cracked Decathlete rom.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

FYI X-Wing Alliance has a decent fanmade graphics pack , plus some (basic)fanmade VR support
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWnVw1TmF6w
    (which lets you select toggles and switches in the cockpit rather than just pressing keys on the keyboard)

Level Up had on Facebook they're hosting the National Pinball League's first meet on Sunday February 23rd

Just sharing incase anyone's interested, dunno much about it tbh and probably too far for most but might suit one or two

What is it with me buying games that end up on a better platform.

Big fan of Kevin penkins music so was waiting for Florence to be released on PC. Got sick of waiting so bought it on Android. It got announced the next fecking day for PC....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Level Up had on Facebook they're hosting the National Pinball League's first meet on Sunday February 23rd

Just sharing incase anyone's interested, dunno much about it tbh and probably too far for most but might suit one or two

First I heard of it, and I host league meetings :eek:

Probably won't make it, I'm in Limerick the following weekend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I guess this is a new one?? Different league then the one thats been running for years in ireland... Id have hoped someone organising a new league would have contacted the one thats already running, its not the same one is it??

I guess this is a new one?? Different league then the one thats been running for years in ireland... Id have hoped someone organising a new league would have contacted the one thats already running, its not the same one is it??

I dont know to be honest :confused:

So I gave D a go last night on the PC. Remember D? That game that came out at launch of the 32bit consoles with CGI that looked incredible.

Well it doesn't look incredible anymore. The CG is very basic. Used to think Laura's hair looked great but its so stiff you could use it to stab someone.

One thing I have to give it credit for is that the scene transitions are so smooth it feels more like moving through an environment than most of these CG adventure games from the area. Moving very very very slowly. It has a creepy atmosphere that comes through, it's way more effective than say the awful 7th Guest.

Kind of enjoying it to be fair and its seems really short.

It's a game of it's time though. It's made for an era where you aren't getting pestered by multiple WhatsApp conversations as I couldn't pause and ran out the 2 hour time limit.

I really wish that the follow up Enemy Zero comes out on GoG/Steam as it's a far more interesting game. D is a real time capsule game of a very small window in videogames were these CG adventure games were state of the art.

I'm a big D fan (:p)

Whole story about warp games and the developer of those games is really interesting. D, Enemy zero and D2 are all solid titles in my book.

The HVGN ( now, stop Skelton's from fighting ) did some great videos on all 3. Worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dav09

I dont know to be honest :confused:

It's the same one, we don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes of course. It's the first meet of 2020, we have 8 pinball machines at the minute Iron Maiden, Metallica, White Water, The Getaway, Creatures of The Black Lagoon, The Beatles, Batman, Ghostbusters and might have one or two more for the event. Hope everyone can make it, a goal of the venue is to be the biggest and best of its type in the country and are delighted to be able to accommodate these events of course. I'm sure an email will be going out shortly to the regular participants. I may have posted prematurely on our Facebook apologies if I had, email was due to go out yesterday I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

You know what, yeah, sure, I might hop over.

dav09 wrote: »
    It's the same one, we don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes of course. It's the first meet of 2020, we have 8 pinball machines at the minute Iron Maiden, Metallica, White Water, The Getaway, Creatures of The Black Lagoon, The Beatles, Batman, Ghostbusters and might have one or two more for the event. Hope everyone can make it, a goal of the venue is to be the biggest and best of its type in the country and are delighted to be able to accommodate these events of course. I'm sure an email will be going out shortly to the regular participants. I may have posted prematurely on our Facebook apologies if I had, email was due to go out yesterday I thought.
    Sorry about the mix up, just saw on Level Ups own page, not following any pinball stuff just know there's meets sometimes and some here are into it.

Hope it'll turn out well and that the kitchen is open now, wasn't last time I was out. I dunno if I'll head myself, I'll see how things go

Sorry about the mix up, just saw on Level Ups own page, not following any pinball stuff just know there's meets sometimes and some here are into it.

Hope it'll turn out well and that the kitchen is open now, wasn't last time I was out. I dunno if I'll head myself, I'll see how things go

No prob all good, kitchen should be open with a bit of luck, just lost our head chef (again) but kitchen is ready, so hopefully we will. Have done loads to the venue over the past few weeks some new machines coming in the meantime. There'll be a few new faces entering by the sounds of it (myself included), should be good fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not sure if folks saw this, but some dude found all the Super Mario Bros movie props in the studio he works for!

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ezlqww/i_just_found_out_the_special_effects_studio_i/

I'll be in Limerick the following week.

I'll probably head over to level up then and get my scores into round 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So I gave D a go last night on the PC. Remember D? That game that came out at launch of the 32bit consoles with CGI that looked incredible.

Well it doesn't look incredible anymore. The CG is very basic. Used to think Laura's hair looked great but its so stiff you could use it to stab someone.

One thing I have to give it credit for is that the scene transitions are so smooth it feels more like moving through an environment than most of these CG adventure games from the area. Moving very very very slowly. It has a creepy atmosphere that comes through, it's way more effective than say the awful 7th Guest.

Kind of enjoying it to be fair and its seems really short.

It's a game of it's time though. It's made for an era where you aren't getting pestered by multiple WhatsApp conversations as I couldn't pause and ran out the 2 hour time limit.

I really wish that the follow up Enemy Zero comes out on GoG/Steam as it's a far more interesting game. D is a real time capsule game of a very small window in videogames were these CG adventure games were state of the art.
    I remember seeing the game case but never played it - but yea, state of the art eh

Sunday night SMK madness

http://speedgaming.org/schedule/

On the second Speedgaming Twitch channel from 8pm to 11pm there will be some speedrun competition

Schedule of matches subject to change as we are testing out a completely new format

Best of 5 1P GP runs

I’m basically going to struggle in this as it’s 150cc Gp which is my weakest mode by far. And it’s Ntsc where the only way to notice that you might crash is when you actually crash

My match will be against the Yorkshire SMK Champion who is quite decent at Gp but slightly weaker at Ntsc.

This match will be fun and should be the second match of the night

First up will be the Belgian Champion Jarmou vs the Brazilian #2 Firewaster

This match is tough to call. Both are amazing players but as it’s Gp I give the nod to Jarmou in a tight battle.

For Timing reasons the last match will be between 2 American players Dan_h and Dave Smith. I give Dan a strong chance of winning this but anything can happen

And in a major match

KVD Dutch Champion. TT former #1 for 3665 days. American super Mario Kart championship overall winner. And multiple World Championship silver medalist takes on

Neo

The man

The Myth

The Legend.

Easily one of the greatest overall SMK players in history. 7 world titles. And enough gold to keep all the Kardashian’s happy.

So we hope you tune in and enjoy the show tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Paid another visit to Level Up in Limerick recently!
    Another great night, I'm absolutely shíte at Pin Ball :( but it was fun giving the machines a go.

Had the pleasure of meeting Dav09 and the bastárd is oung and prety to be into retro games as much as he is :P

Lovely beer again, and some lovely new cabinets and games since my last visit.

Told Dav09 I may have some suggestions for games when I sobered up :P

And I do!
    Afterburner
    Gauntlet
    Pit Fighter
    Mercs
    Virtua Tennis
    Altered beast

And I'm sure loads more will be thought of as more visits are made :D

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Paid another visit to Level Up in Limerick recently!
    Another great night, I'm absolutely shíte at Pin Ball :( but it was fun giving the machines a go.

Had the pleasure of meeting Dav09 and the bastárd is oung and prety to be into retro games as much as he is :P

LOL, cheers banie! Was nice to meet you too, I was a bit under the weather at the time, cheers for the beer I'll get you back next time you're down :D

New cabinets out glad you enjoyed, still might have a few tricks up our sleeves before our Launch party on the 22nd February.

As for the games, some good suggestions there, as far as I know there's a sequel to one of the games mentioned ordered already, and would like to get an Afterburner too (we actually have an Afterburner Climax but will probably trade for something as it's extremely big and bulky, and would probably have to be dismantled to get in the door!)

Thanks again!

Advertisement