Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Off topic again but are there any Northern Irish breweries that people can recommend?
    Boundary is turning out some great stuff at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

BeerNut wrote: »
    Boundary is turning out some great stuff at the moment.

Thanks, I've seen some of their stuff, must pick some up.

Off topic again but are there any Northern Irish breweries that people can recommend? Is it just me or are they fairly scarce?

Always heard good things from mates up there about Hillstown but not sure how easy it is to get, and never had any. At least one of the big supermarkets does it though.

Boundary did a rather odd one with Rascals lately but they have some lovely ones.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Off topic again but are there any Northern Irish breweries that people can recommend? Is it just me or are they fairly scarce?

I used to be a big fan of Whitewater Brewing back when I was first getting into beer. Haven't seen any of their stuff in Limerick in few years now. Hopplehammer was the IPA I liked best for a while. I think they're based in County Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Had a few in Lambert’s recently when I stayed over for work in the town. Love the Clever Man Turf Stout too, didn’t realise they were Wexford.

Yes indeed Simon's Place has the onsite microbrewing going on. Another pub down the road called The Sky & The Ground is great for weird and wonderful beers especially on tap.

To answer the question,

Am drinking of what I think is a sample by O'Haras. Very nice.

503262.jpg

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    Yes indeed Simon's Place has the onsite microbrewing going on.
    Not for the last couple of years now. It's all brewed out in Pembrokestown.

Not for the last couple of years now. It's all brewed out in Pembrokestown.

Bought into them vats out the back, am such a consumer.....

Did you visit this a few years back :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was always a fan of the Sticke Altbier produced by Northbound in Derry. I think they had a decent enough Kolsch as well, iirc. Haven't seen their beers down here for some time.

Bought into them vats out the back
    The three behind glass in the smoking area, with the logo on them? They were never used for making beer. The brewery was in the basement and they had bright tanks on wheels down there that could be hooked up to the bar taps directly.
    Did you visit this a few years back :)
    Yes, not long after they started brewing in Simon's.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll be visiting a good friend in Wexford next month. The Sky & The Ground is on the agenda, as well as the Yellow Belly/Lambert's bar. I'm reliably informed of a well-stacked SuperValu in the town too. Anything else worth checking out?

• Advertisement

The three behind glass in the smoking area, with the logo on them? They were never used for making beer. The brewery was in the basement and they had bright tanks on wheels down there that could be hooked up to the bar taps directly.

Yes, not long after they started brewing in Simon's.

That's the one. The area with those advertising tanks is actually closed. Closed down by the smoking police.

I'll be visiting a good friend in Wexford next month. The Sky & The Ground is on the agenda, as well as the Yellow Belly/Lambert's bar. I'm reliably informed of a well-stacked SuperValu in the town too. Anything else worth checking out?

After that, it's down to normal pubs. If your a Guinness pint person Mackens (The Undertakers).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hilden have some great beers; two that come to mind would be Barney's Bap and Headless Dog, the latter of which I had on cask at the weekend. Farmageddan have some good beers but it is harder to get. Many of the multiples should have Whitewater bottles, and personally I love Clotworthy Dobbin; it's possibly my favourite Irish beer at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Some great NI breweroes producing at the moment. The best in my opinion being - Boundary, Bullhouse, Mourne Mountains and Heaneys.

Others I can think of off the top of my head - Beerhut, Carlingford, Hilden, Hillstown, Whitewater

c - 13 wrote: »

Others I can think of off the top of my head - Carlingford,

"Wee" bit out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

She wasn't powerful enough to keep their business afloat :(. Enjoy it while you can.

Local shop has significant shelf space dedicated to them, currently 3 types in can, double fronted, and 6 types in bottle. Will be interesting to see what they replace them with when they're gone - if anything. Kellys space was taken up by double fronting Hobgoblin.

Had stopped doing the 5-for-10 on the cans a while back so I moved on to Rascals for the casual can-grab instead. Don't think we've dipso enough to have put them out of business though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

On the FES tonight.

As well as being thick, creamy, oily, treacly, as it's 33cl, it reduces trips to WC, so less or no interruptions to sleeping wife.

Five for 10 euro in O'Briens, great value.

I see loads of Irish "craft" beers in the shops, 3.49-3.99 for 50cl, sometimes sneaky or cheeky 440ml, and I compare that with 2.10 for Guinness FES.

I keep buying the FES.

Also had a Pilsner Urquell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Galway Bay's "Märzen to the Fire"(?) beer, a smoky dark beer, is fantastic.

Glad to see Laídir somewhere like Lidl. Just opened one.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Galway Bay's "Märzen to the Fire"(?) beer, a smoky dark beer, is fantastic.
    It's amazing. I'm looking forward to trying it side-by-side with Schlenkerla once the cans are out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Local centra doing 5 for €10 on All Day IPA bottles. Seriously good beer for that price.

Local centra doing 5 for €10 on All Day IPA bottles. Seriously good beer for that price.

What’s that? Larkins?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What’s that? Larkins?

Founders

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

over the weekend opened a gift pack of Delerium beers. had 3 out of the 4 and they were all poor ( the Red especially so) this was a gift. i see it retail at almost $30 shocking price for what it is.
    1 x Delirium Tremens 330cl/8.5% abv
    1 x Delirium Red 330cl/8.0% abv
    1 x Delirium Nocturnum 330cl/8.5% abv

I'd agree with you about the Red, but the other 2 are top quality beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

have had the tremens before and think its ok only . was disappointed with the Delirium Nocturnum. maybe the fact i finished with the Red dragged the whole experience down.
    overall very poor value for money.

Trouble Brewing Ambush is very nice.

Drinking a few draught WW Wildfire. I thought the cans were good but pints are another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Had a DT last Christmas, nothing special at all and not worth the money.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Got hold of a can of Dwynwen Mefus this week at an event in Dublin. It's a strawberry sour from the Bragdy Mona in Anglesey and while it's understandably low on sourness, it was actually quite flavoursome and worked well.

On to a by now long sitting bottle of Kinnegar Thumper now :)

Advertisement