Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

and here I was feeling guilty for spending 200 on a naomi pool cue. 1000 for a button :eek:

Have you got the Naomi Pool game ?
    Always fancied that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I have a button holding bracket I'd you are stuck for one.
    If I can find it that is !

Much appreciated, thanks!
    Just looked up forgotten world's button........Jesus Christ!

It's out of this world, forgotten or not!

and here I was feeling guilty for spending 200 on a naomi pool cue. 1000 for a button :eek:

To be fair now...:p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Don’t think I’ll be able to make this one I would have loved to go down. It’s a pity these can’t be scheduled a bit more in advance. I’d love to make a weekend out of it or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm the proud new owner of a Sony LMD 232W

One of these!

s-l400.jpg

Thanks O1s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Picked up Flashback recently. Can't play it yet as it's a birthday present. I don't play many platformers so I'm looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Picked up Flashback recently. Can't play it yet as it's a birthday present. I don't play many platformers so I'm looking forward to it :)

Nice. Which platform? I actually picked it up for the SNES last week.

accensi0n wrote: »
    Nice. Which platform? I actually picked it up for the SNES last week.

Mega Drive. I only recently learned Fade to Black was a sequel, that game used to scare me as a kid :D

The intro is savage for a 16 bit game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I was more of an Another World guy. I really have to play through Flashback.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I prefer Another World as well but Flashback is great fun.

As for the sequel Fade to Black.... I loved it on PC at release but it was a verrrrry early 3D game. By the time it came to PS1 it was very dated. It's also a very hard game but gets easier later. It's dated extremely poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I prefer Another World as well but Flashback is great fun.

As for the sequel Fade to Black.... I loved it on PC at release but it was a verrrrry early 3D game. By the time it came to PS1 it was very dated. It's also a very hard game but gets easier later. It's dated extremely poorly.
    Obligatory Another World / Flashback were actually two totally unrelated games mention!
    Yeah I know you know this RG ..but for years I didnt..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They feel very different as well. Another world is nearly an interactive movie while Flashback feels like it has a more traditional videogame progression.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When this topic comes up I always mention that I really liked Fade to Black, I had it on PC and later on the PS and they were great, and worked well to continue to Flashback story line.
    It's a hard game to play now, given how far we have come, while Flashback hasn't aged too badly at all.
    But it was an awfully nice game to look at that time, especially the PS version with the improved textures and better controls.
    But, like lots of games of the era, playing them again often seems to spoil, Outcast is like that too, memories were fantastic, playing the mildly remastered version not so much

Fade to Black gets so much flak now but the PC release was groundbreaking and garnered rave reviews at the time. It was on PC top 100 lists back then as well. It has aged poorly.

As for Outcast, still think its a great game and some of the voxel graphics still look good. The AI isn't bad either. The only big issue I have is the criminal framerate the game runs at is baked into the game logic so there's no way to get it about 15 fps. It feels like a proto skyrim/Oblivion and I actually would say it's a lot more fun.

One other thing about that game is you need to run it 4:3 as the remakes remove vertical view as the screen gets wider. Looks way more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Loved Another World too. It was the first game I ever played that wasn't a traditional 'gamey' game and my brain just could not comprehend it for a while.

Still have my original copy that I got when I was a kid. Bought it second hand (actually I traded a game in for it, think it was Ghostbusters) and the nice owner before me had written in the code for every single level in the booklet.

Which was great for me as there was nowhere I was getting anywhere in a game like that at that age!

Remember the opening cinematics for Another World and Flashback?
    And the impact of them?
    I remember Kerbdog showing me the opening of Syndicate, it was so impressive, and dropped you into the setting ready to go

Remember the days when Amiga's where used to create state of the art 3D rendering until the rise of Silicon Graphics?

I was reading about D the other day and that whole game was rendered on Amiga 3000's.

And then there was the last battle cry of amiga users, that the 3D effects in Babylon 5 were made on amiga and therefore the Amiga was far from dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And then there was the last battle cry of amiga users, that the 3D effects in Babylon 5 were made on amiga and therefore the Amiga was far from dead.

Bit of an exaggeration that one... It was just the pilot episode that used Amigas, although I suppose the title sequence didn't change much from the pilot so ya the Amigas were used to make all of it :)

Master of the Universe

I actually started rewatching DS9 a couple of weeks ago from the beginning again (haven't actually watched it since it originally aired) and have been really taken aback by the amount of CGI used through it. A lot of it still doesn't look half bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    I actually started rewatching DS9 a couple of weeks ago from the beginning again (haven't actually watched it since it originally aired) and have been really taken aback by the amount of CGI used through it. A lot of it still doesn't look half bad either.

I just finished it recently (started about 5 years ago), some dopey episodes here and there but overall its excellent - still holds up well today, apart for Odo's earlier shape shifting days...

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I just finished it recently (started about 5 years ago), some dopey episodes here and there but overall its excellent - still holds up well today, apart for Odo's earlier shape shifting days...

Myself and the missus have been watching 2-3 episodes per night after work and it's the perfect combination of lighthearted entertainment with a bit of seriousness thrown in.

Some of the comedic elements with Quark are fantastic. We're just at the end of Season 2 now and have laughed far more than we'd expected to throughout.

Modern television shows are really something to behold, however I've found a lot of them are pretty draining and require a bit of work. Can't beat 90's TV in the evening to switch off your brain and just be entertained.

Actually we had episode 3 of Picard ready to go the other night but just weren't in the mental space for it so went with DS9 instead :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

DS9 is brilliant and really holds up , some of the later episodes are great. My favourite of all the Treks. Even lesser characters at the start like Nog have great arcs later on . great show.

Bit of an exaggeration that one... It was just the pilot episode that used Amigas, although I suppose the title sequence didn't change much from the pilot so ya the Amigas were used to make all of it :)

Well I was listening to the Amiga fanboys at the time and it sounded like the whole series was on Amigas :)

Originally decided against buying this, then a week or so passed :D

RIKq5qv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I do wonder why they went with the original pad but then included SF2. I mean the whole point of the 6 button pad was to accomodate sf2?

I'd say it plays like dogsh1t.

I though that was an NOS Megadrive,
    Whats the car daveydave?looks fresh too.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I do wonder why they went with the original pad but then included SF2. I mean the whole point of the 6 button pad was to accomodate sf2?

This is how I played street fighter on megadrive bitd with 3 button pad.. didn’t want to waste money on a 6 button when I couldn’t get another game instead it’s amazing how you can adapt when you have to haha

Golf Mk7.5, had it over 2 years so not very fresh, it's usually kept clean but there's parking tickets and receipts all around at the moment :D

Hoping to replace it with a Mk7.5 GTI or Leon Cupra at some point next year :)

Master of the Universe

Feck the car, winning lotto ticket behind the gearstick? :pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

2ndcoming wrote: »

Controller wise I'd say they just went with the more nostalgic one. The amount of people who had a 6 button pad in comparison was tiny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement