Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Not Retro , but The Stanley Parable is free on the epic store , it'll run on a potato , and its a game everyone should play through at least twice ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Jack burton

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres restrictions in a lot of places alright but theres been no bother with An Post and Royal Mail so far. An Post have actually hired more staff and are doing more shifts than normal at the moment.

Courier wise, I only use DPD but theres been no issues there either between Ireland and UK.

I've also noticed stuff from China has began to move in the last couple of days.

Yeah I've gotten a good few emails from Chinese suppliers saying they are back in business and offering "most precious prices"

There's one company I've dealt with that emailed me a whole breakdown of what they did while in isolation and how best to go outside and a bunch of other stuff. Really funny engrish read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Not Retro , but The Stanley Parable is free on the epic store , it'll run on a potato , and its a game everyone should play through at least twice ..

And also play the demo which is totally original content.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,608 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dr Bob wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up, I've never heard of it before.

Played a good bit of it yesterday and it's really fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

zLoNoUTKY3fZBrHfDuxCvnW3fv0EQwKVTeW7cbRu32VIv-433HyDn_9ePoWqN3VXkrNQ06ZJWDz3xS7-vPL3ySPomQXlOluHl7_drPyDeWayBBsnXaEP1DW8JX10HCF2mcappjc6YUC4IzvEu9Io5BYZUjiMZNzbMoCvVT8QVKY8vRmAC7KIWQKvPpYw357ICFadcz1XiaWZlg5bonFwD9deljWOEHH939sMKDt3CUYCmYPfyHwlo1uCCzxijetHaghfPNaJMJmkZF9YGxbIfzBc-YWfOr-FgNLDAkMknPxxWXHjnm2xJG2WSXRdWMLCPOznetkMJpduKxCTn7HJe3v6gutM0I1rRgqTHvvFZM81e45G5Py9zzkT3fZHZLSVNz3zi-EoQibCEDkiNfZU3kbqrRnqQ7pWfJhrH10OJEajAYNb0b-ECv920AUXyDTKZK6jVMLyXmJ0qWSnj3rf7ZRcSQHsIISHtwub75RGB0RrkhbNNvlYibfJiwpd_VF1Ip8Jz74QOOU8q5sGCeXqzbh_D26enPCIDiMe4HDMAax6PW--2no9bh-hv0aZpVYnk6MIw4xvP5868ldwC4gHUL_wHMFgJuY3fKZniM4B1kbPSImn8_hdxNMJLZ1ERaGWNu1l-41zuSdoFhjxUNWrDV2AvS3-c0fzsfwlWHioBFxdSAC6qBTdmk8fW1Oe=w1560-h878-no

Been a while since I ordered anything retro-related. If you're gonna play Crazy Taxi, play it with the original OST

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

guy-incognito.jpg

How do you do, fellow gentlemen?

Its a boring old time of it. A little while back I got a bunch of sega boards and got a test rig put together. Unfortunately I have no inputs to play the games, but they sure do look pretty! One is sonic the fighter/sonic championship, the other is Pilot Kids from psikyo. I think the pilots kids game is pretty rare as it stands, but unlike a bunch of model 2 stuff floating around its original. Very unusual roms/chips (to me anyway). Also have another few boards that I haven't been able to test yet, theyre quarantined in a friends house :P

sonic1.jpg

pilot3.jpg

pilot5.jpg

With more time than usual Ive also started doing a couple little cabinet jobs. Replaced some buttons on punchout, and finally installed the fabled blue punch button, looks much better :) I also did a thorough clean/dismantling of the joystick, and that's a million times better now, but a bit loose.... Id recommend the product I used to get rid of rust anyway, works very well, picked it up in homebase a while ago.

DSC-2006.jpg

DSC-2017.jpg

So about that pilot kids pcb...

There was a phone number on a sticker on the board, looked into it and it belongs to a small theme park in california.

Tried ringing the number and it's closed, for some completely mysterious reason!

Doing a bit more digging, I found that the theme park was incorporated as an amusements supplier in 1990. So that explains the origin as they were probably tied into Sega Japan (it's a jap board).

Then I found two mentions of the game on the Internet. One is that showtime guy in Japan, who I've discovered is a bit of a bluffer because he covers up a lot of boards that are actually conversions in pictures.

Second mention was a guy trying to flog one in America 4 years ago. That guy is also based in california. Coincidence? Probably not!

Now, once I track down that california guy and destroy him, I will be the only one, just like highlander.

And that's how bored I am!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Bit of an update.
    Screen installed.Repainted the entire cabinet.
    Sandblasted the coin mech and refitted.
    Controls and Pc fitted - 2 players all working fine.

Only thing Im waiting on is new t-molding which is on the long boat from the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My PC Engine Mini arrived yesterday, but I haven't tried it out yet.
    Quick shipping from Japan, less than a week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My PC Engine Mini arrived yesterday, but I haven't tried it out yet.
    Quick shipping from Japan, less than a week
    I thought Japan wasn't posting anything? I'm probably rememberjng wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, this arrived in record time.

Just gave it a whirl there, nice device.
    The menu system is the same format as the other "mini" consoles on the market.
    And, one would hope, the clock is ticking on the eventual hack that will let an even better selection of games to be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, this arrived in record time.

Just gave it a whirl there, nice device.
    The menu system is the same format as the other "mini" consoles on the market.
    And, one would hope, the clock is ticking on the eventual hack that will let an even better selection of games to be available.
    That's great! Maybe it was just in before, just remembered someone saying they'd stopped.

Have you tried any games to see how frame rate is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

You are right, Amazon Japan ships through DHL. I think it's just Japan Post that won't accept deliveries to Ireland. I had a few bits bought but I ended up cancelling because the seller was looking for 50 euro for shipping that normally costs 20.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

You are right, Amazon Japan ships through DHL. I think it's just Japan Post that won't accept deliveries to Ireland. I had a few bits bought but I ended up cancelling because the seller was looking for 50 euro for shipping that normally costs 20.

Yeah I ordered come car parts off yahoo auctions and eBay. The yahoo shipping service said Japan post are only allowing surface mail so have to wait 2-3 months for that and the eBay one was returned to the seller but DHL and other couriers are still shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    I recieved these Data Frog PS2/PS3 controllers in the mail recently for less than 10 euro each shipped....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33027742826.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.43f24c4dRjHwss

DATA-FROG-2-4-G-Wireless-Gamepad-for-PS3-PS2-Game-Joystick-Gamepad-for-PC-Joypad.jpg

They have a built in rechargeable battery, Li-on i presume.
    The receivers have a standard PS2 connector and a usb cable sits inside underneath it for playing it on PS3 / PC or Android or whatever you want.
    This makes the PS2 connector a bit longer and it also has bright-ish LEDs integrated which could annoy people if they have their consoles on display.

Another potential con is that the L2 and R2 buttons are triggers which could be annoying for PS2 games but they have a short enough travel, i havent actually tried those buttons on the PS2 yet.

Overall they have a nice feel, not quite as good as the original PS3 controller but decent especially for the price.

Nice if you're on a budget and want to use them on multiple consoles / devices.

Just an update on these. All seemed fine until I played the getaway recently and noticed that there's a dead zone in the analog sticks when aiming.

So it makes aiming quite difficult and steering.

I'd only recommend them if you plan on replacing the sticks with original playsation ones if you have the soldering skills.

I think ALPS manufacture the original thumbstick pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I've heard the Logitech wireless PS2 controllers are good but about 20-30 quid a pop.

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Just an update on these. All seemed fine until I played the getaway recently and noticed that there's a dead zone in the analog sticks when aiming.

So it makes aiming quite difficult and steering.

Ah no that's annoying!

My cheap China made one is still going strong. Haven't put it through insanely heavy use or anything, but I give it the odd bash every now and then of Outrun 2 and a few PS2 shmups and haven't had any issues yet.

Finally managed to snag a copy of the incredible twinkle star sprites to complete this part of the my mvs collection.. puzzlers next I think

E5-E80229-D85-A-402-A-B24-A-93-E100-C3-EBAF.jpg
    A1-C47-EE3-346-E-483-C-814-D-3-B73732-A6-DFC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Some great shooters there, ever thought about picking up the NG:Dev team shooters? They are hard to come by, I would love a copy of Neo XYX.

I have the ng:dev on Dreamcast (gdemu cough cough) xyz is great and waiting on an mvs boot of last resort (picked up on AliExpress) prices are a bit crazy for them though especially considering xenocrisis was 1/2 the price which should be released soon enough I’d have thought, not a shmup can’t wait for that one, been playing in on the switch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Yeah I cannot for the life of me understand why they don't print 100's more copies if not 1000's. I think they initially made 60 copies of Last Hope and I'm not sure about Pink Bullets but it wasn't many. Kraut Buster was made in ridiculously low numbers also

Yeah pretty crazy they haven’t seen a reissue given that the demand is there for them, prices on eBay are crazy for those titles when they do come up..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Forgot to throw this up last week.

3rkPYuq.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Not retro but first pickup in a while. Pineview drive on the PS4. Budget horror game but looks like it didn’t get a big physical release

A414-C7-B6-4-D60-4-D5-E-B740-F17795-E256-E0.jpg

Master of the Universe

For a moment I thought it was some special edition of Deadly Premonition :D

Goodies go leor, all safely wrapped up in...clingfilm! Friend dropped them off at last, not sure what's in here but I did clock a Konami board (come on castlevania!), some model 2 and Igm things. Whipping out all the test stuff this evening :)

DSC-2069.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    For a moment I thought it was some special edition of Deadly Premonition :D

Same here, weirrrrd game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Got a Sony DECR-1000 A Reference Tool from o1s1 the other week. Unfortunately its Blu-ray drive wasn't working, but I picked up some old drives and its all working now :)
    A bit of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue playing on it here
    510891.jpg
    What to do with it now? No idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Hi Guys....

Long time no post.....must get back onto this forum more often....

Hope everyone is doing well in these strange times...….

Got this last week....It was in a state and need a good clean...

Should of videoed myself cleaning it and put it up on YouTube.....

Had to take the system completely apart and clean it.....

Anyhow this is what it looked like when it arrived-used photo from advert.

[IMG][/img]qpaRgBA.png

and after a good clean...….

[IMG][/img]0UP2yCu.jpg?1

Just need to get the Floppy to work...changed the belt and the disk is spinning but not reading disks....

just the standard error....

error, Drive A: disk missing....retry,ignore or cancel....

going to strip it again and have a good luck at it....

came with 7 disks, two burning rubber cartridges and Amstrad Joypad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Inviere

Hi Guys....

Long time no post.....must get back onto this forum more often....

Nice pickup! Good to see you posting :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement