Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

But how did he keep it up for so long?
    In the bedroom department, do you mean? I suppose with some married couples, the sex just fizzles out after a number of years so maybe it wasn't a problem.

If he knew he was gay from the start and he just wanted a beard, then it's a slap in the face for the poor wife.

ps how long did Elton John's first marriage last?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The popularity of jiving and Irish country music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

appledrop wrote: »
    Exactly what I think. By coming out as gay he is basically saying that he never fancied or truly loved his wife. How could you do that after 27 years of marriage. Its the worst possible betrayal in my eyes. The fact he thinks he is brave baffles me.

God I'm so happy it isn't just me who thinks this. The media vomit about his bravery is just beyond comprehension. I understand people saying it was different then but he could have just not married and not come out. Why did he have to go so far as to marry someone he knew he would never be sexually attracted to? He made a lie out of the life he shared with his wife for 27 years. If he had maybe realised after he married you could understand but he knew he was gay when he married her. He made a mockery of her and everything they shared and now people are tripping up over themselves to congratulate him for it. I really dont get it.

Is it just bandwagon jumping, trying to be all cool etc.? Its 2020 nobody cares who you sleep with.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Antares35 wrote: »
    God I'm so happy it isn't just me who thinks this. The media vomit about his bravery is just beyond comprehension. He made a lie out of the life he shared with his wife for 27 years. If he had maybe realised after he married you could understand but he knew he was gay when he married her. He made a mockery if her and everything they shared and now people are tripping up over themselves to congratulate him for it. I really dont get it. Is it just bandwagon jumping, trying to be all cool etc.? Its 2020 nobody cares who you sleep with.

Exactly what I thought. My immediate thought was for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Those absolute nobodies that run for the general election. The sort that are lucky to pick up a couple of hundred votes, usually from people refusing to take it seriously. I mean, surely even THEY know they don't stand a chance of winning, so why bother going at all?

All though I think a few of them are genuinely crazy, so I guess that explains it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Those absolute nobodies that run for the general election. The sort that are lucky to pick up a couple of hundred votes, usually from people refusing to take it seriously. I mean, surely even THEY know they don't stand a chance of winning, so why bother going at all?

All though I think a few of them are genuinely crazy, so I guess that explains it.

I know of one of them.
    He was a guy in his fifties and he would have been very traditional.
    He was talked into running for Elections by ''Friends'' who were basically making a fool of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

It can't have been easy being gay in a country where homophobia was enshrined in the statute books. Yeah, Schofield took the easier way out and he's far from 'brave'. The real brave people were the ones who were openly gay thirty years ago - the ones who didn't hide behind beards, the ones who did the heavy lifting and paved the way for the likes of Schofield to come out when it was safe to do so.

There's still a lot of casual homophobia out there though. People who probably have lots of gay friends and didn't vote 'no' in the marriage referendum, but who still still view homosexuality as being worthy of mockery. Did anyone else see loads of stupid WhatsApp messages about him fisting Gordon the Gopher? Tiresome stuff. Even the thread about it on AH had to be locked because of gay jibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Young Irish radio presenters with fake American accents. 2fm is rife with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

One of the MANY reasons I NEVER listen to that station....also rife with "SHOUTY" female presenters.

Oh! while I'm at it Double Handers where the presenters are so afraid of dead air that they feel compelled to fill every second with inanities.

There now ! ...have a nice day....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Just tattoo of us.
    The whole concept.
    Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

cjmc wrote: »
    Cricket. The game obviously. I just don't get it

What's not to get??

You stand in a field, sometimes for five days, except for lunch and teatime.
    You have a bit of wood in your hand, and someone throws, what essentially is a round brick at you at speeds of 100mph... and you have to hit as far as you can.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but maybe not....

Or you stand around trying to catch said round brick.

I once got hit in the nuts by a cricket ball when I was younger, maybe this explains my dislike of the game....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

stoneill wrote: »
    Just tattoo of us.
    The whole concept.
    Why?

Theres no way in hell i would go on that programme.You must really hate that person that came on with you.Some of them tattoos are awful.

What tattoo "artist" and i use that term loosely would even do them tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭pgj2015

people who are afraid to go to the Dentist. and a lot of them boast them they havent gone in 20 + years etc imagine the plaque they have, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And they cant pronounce a T seemingly , according to one her name is Loddie Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And they cant pronounce a T seemingly , according to one her name is Loddie Ryan
    But there's the exact reverse from some of them too - the very hard T which sounds so unnatural in an Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

It can't have been easy being gay in a country where homophobia was enshrined in the statute books. Yeah, Schofield took the easier way out and he's far from 'brave'. The real brave people were the ones who were openly gay thirty years ago - the ones who didn't hide behind beards, the ones who did the heavy lifting and paved the way for the likes of Schofield to come out when it was safe to do so.

There's still a lot of casual homophobia out there though. People who probably have lots of gay friends and didn't vote 'no' in the marriage referendum, but who still still view homosexuality as being worthy of mockery. Did anyone else see loads of stupid WhatsApp messages about him fisting Gordon the Gopher? Tiresome stuff. Even the thread about it on AH had to be locked because of gay jibes.

Only a couple weeks ago a gay couple were stabbed in a homophobic assault in this country. It's gotten better but there's still a very real dangerous element to being openly gay.

Did anyone else see loads of stupid WhatsApp messages about him fisting Gordon the Gopher? Tiresome.
    Sorry but I lolled. I don't think silly jokes like that are homophobia. It's like "go make a sandwich" to me. Just a simplistic joke (and I do make great sandwiches :cool:). It's the vile, hate-filled stuff that bothers me - silly childish stuff is the least of my worries (just my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

One of the MANY reasons I NEVER listen to that station....also rife with "SHOUTY" female presenters.

Oh! while I'm at it Double Handers where the presenters are so afraid of dead air that they feel compelled to fill every second with inanities.

Bruce Forsyth had a rant about them a while back. TV presenters like Davina, Zoe Ball, Coxie and the like, why did they have to shout all the time?

Bruce Forsyth had a rant about them a while back. TV presenters like Davina, Zoe Ball, Coxie and the like, why did they have to shout all the time?
    Coz they're ladettes innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Every time JENNIFER ZAMPERELLI is on the radio or TV I immediately turn down the sound . No idea why she has to SHOUT ALL THE TIME

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

pgj2015 wrote: »
    people who are afraid to go to the Dentist. and a lot of them boast them they havent gone in 20 + years etc imagine the plaque they have, :(

There’s a big difference between going to the dentist 20/30 years ago and now, back then the local butcher would have to use his knee for leverage when extracting, and could be a little inaccurate with anesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Well if you were one of these nobodies and happen to be a member of Sinn Fein you are probably a TD today like Violet Ann Wynn in Clare. The woman amassed 300 odd votes in the council elections last year and exceeded the quota eventually in the General election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I'm fed up of everyone saying podatoes. I mean like wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Well if you were one of these nobodies and happen to be a member of Sinn Fein you are probably a TD today like Violet Ann Wynn in Clare. The woman amassed 300 odd votes in the council elections last year and exceeded the quota eventually in the General election.

I'm not talking about lesser known candidates from established parties. I am talking about independents with no chance in hell of winning any election.

I mean some fella in Wexford got 68 votes in the first count and finished on 103 in total, while another lad in Wicklow got 20 votes in the first count, and finished on 26.

It must be mortifying. But why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Loddie wouldn't know much about podatoes because she is from the ciddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭pgj2015

topper75 wrote: »
    Loddie wouldn't know much about podatoes because she is from the ciddy.

Gerry with long hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

smilerf wrote: »
    I'm fed up of everyone saying podatoes. I mean like wtf

Fordy gigs of dayda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Newspapers saying Sinn Fein's election success is historical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Sorry but I lolled. I don't think silly jokes like that are homophobia. It's like "go make a sandwich" to me. Just a simplistic joke (and I do make great sandwiches :cool:). It's the vile, hate-filled stuff that bothers me - silly childish stuff is the least of my worries (just my opinion).

It's mindless idiocy and not on the same level as the hate-filled stuff, but it's insidious and can't make it easy for people to come out, knowing that they'll be on the receiving end of that sort of 'backs to the wall, lads' rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Big knockers.

Advertisement