Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Big knockers.

Really??To me they are classed as fun bags! The bigger the better,heh.And yes that's sexist of me but what can you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It's mindless idiocy and not on the same level as the hate-filled stuff, but it's insidious and can't make it easy for people to come out, knowing that they'll be on the receiving end of that sort of 'backs to the wall, lads' rubbish.
    Yeah it does depend on context, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Really??To me they are classed as fun bags! The bigger the better,heh.And yes that's sexist of me but what can you do?

It's not sexist. Childish? Yes. But that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't get why dogs can sense human pregnancy but men can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It's not sexist. Childish? Yes. But that's about it.
    I don't think it's childish. Men (and some women) of all ages love boobs and should be expressive regarding this love. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

smilerf wrote: »
    I'm fed up of everyone saying podatoes. I mean like wdf

fyp
    I don't get why dogs can sense human pregnancy but men can't.

Dogs don't get criticised for mistaking fat for pregnancy. Rule of thumb is pretend you see nothing until it is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I listen to a lot of podcast,s , theres alot of people who talk normally except
    they do not pronounce t, eg button, is pronounced budden.
    some people from america cannnot say r, eg star wars is staw waws .
    it,s slightly irritating .
    i saw an ad for a large jeep type hatchback.
    this car is very big car ,maybe over twice the size of a ford focus.
    the presenter says ,its kind to the environment,it use,s a diesel/electric combo engine .
    heres a tip theres no way a car as big as this is fuel effecient,
    vs a ford focus or another standard car.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Men who wear shoes or trainers with no socks in Ireland, especially in the winter. ****ing idiotic. Or those little socks that make you look like you're not wearing any socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

vriesmays wrote: »
    Newspapers saying Sinn Fein's election success is historical.

Erm...it is though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    fyp

Dogs don't get criticised for mistaking fat for pregnancy. Rule of thumb is pretend you see nothing until it is confirmed.

:D

Not talking about the visible signs though. Would it not make more sense for men to have an instinct for it than dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Granadino wrote: »
    Men who wear shoes or trainers with no socks in Ireland, especially in the winter. ****ing idiotic. Or those little socks that make you look like you're not wearing any socks.

It's just the cool thing to do now.
    I don't think some of these fashionistas are as good at pulling off looks as they think they are.

Last Summer I noticed the guys who did this wore white socks pulled up as far as they could go with shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Parasite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Big knockers.
    Big arse's, or more specifically, trying to make your arse look as big as possible on instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Parasite.

Really? I kinda want to watch it just because it's the first foreign film to get the main Oscar.

Not talking about the visible signs though. Would it not make more sense for men to have an instinct for it than dogs?

Here comes the science!

"...they [dogs] possess up to 300 million olfactory receptors in their noses, compared to about six million in us. And the part of a dog's brain that is devoted to analyzing smells is, proportionally speaking, 40 times greater than ours. Dogs' noses also function quite differently than our own."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Men who wear shorts outdoors in Winter. I'm not talking about guys going to or from the gym but guys who live in shorts all year round regardless of the weather. Even in the bloody snow ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

people who will que in their cars blocking the road to wait to park in a full carpark despite the light flashing to say it is full, cones and men in high vis being put there to prevent them doing this -
    meanwhile a 600 space almost empty car park entrance is ten foot from them - but no, they block the roundabout and road.

I don't get when people say your life goes out the window when you have a baby. Only if your life is all nightlife in pubs but you can bring them with you most places. There are baby wraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

riclad wrote: »
    I listen to a lot of podcast,s .

Do you find that most americans talk infuriatingly slowly?

Any american podcasts I listen to I have to play at least at 1.3x usually 1.5x as a result the all sound like Mickey Mouse but at least they are talking at a normal pace.

Anyway that's what i don't get - why do yanks talk so damn slowly?

I don't get when people say your life goes out the window when you have a baby. Only if your life is all nightlife in pubs but you can bring them with you most places. There are baby wraps.

Even the night life and pubs can still be a regular occurance if you want it to be. Some people just give up on live and disappear after having a baby though and other get on with live very similar to before with some tweaks here and there.
    Do you find that most americans talk infuriatingly slowly?

Any american podcasts I listen to I have to play at least at 1.3x usually 1.5x as a result the all sound like Mickey Mouse but at least they are talking at a normal pace.

Anyway that's what i don't get - why do yanks talk so damn slowly?

Can’t say I ever noticed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Men do instinctually detect pregnancy, but the effect is more aphrodisiac than conscious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

This! We are expecting our first and I don't know how many times people have shouted prophecies of doom - "oh just you wait now" or "you're life is no longer your own" etc. Of course there will be changes but it's not like we will be shackled to the floor and not allowed out. I've spent a good chunk of my adult life juggling full time work, part time study and many additional responsibilities and constraints on my time. I think it is only if you live vicariously through your child with zero other interests or you are a very bad time manager that you will find yourself without a life*.

* I promise to report back if I eat these words :D

seamus wrote: »
    Men do instinctually detect pregnancy, but the effect is more aphrodisiac than conscious.

I knew that applied to ovulation but I suppose pregnancy makes most women look healthier and glowy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Get this a lot - find myself caught in the headlights at random women on occasion and find myself wondering why I find them in particular so attractive - then notice a bump, oh..

I knew that applied to ovulation but I suppose pregnancy makes most women look healthier and glowy too.

Ovulation I can understand. We are designed to be more attractive during this time - with a glow, nicer skin, more fertile and generally feeling an increased libido.. it's natures way of ensuring we procreate! :P The pregnancy one I don't get however - why would we be designed to look more attractive to males of the species when we are already impregnated with someone else's child? From an evolutionary perspective, I don't get it. Also from a practical one, have never had said glow! I just went from tired and grumpy to looking like I ate too many doughnuts to now just looking like usual me with a basketball stuffed under my dress :D:D (and am still grumpy though that could just be state of being for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Men who wear shorts outdoors in Winter. I'm not talking about guys going to or from the gym but guys who live in shorts all year round regardless of the weather. Even in the bloody snow ffs.

Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Dont get the whole obsession with love island. Orange screechy women. Orange vain men.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Antares35 wrote: »
    The pregnancy one I don't get however - why would we be designed to look more attractive to males of the species when we are already impregnated with someone else's child?
    Evolution is cleverer than that.*

Massive amounts of our evolution has gone into the creation and reinforcement of basic social structures. If men saw a pregnant woman as "not of interest", then it would mean that she has to compete more for resources and attention, which doesn't make a sense from a survival point of view.

Hormonal increases in pregnant women, in general spark unconscious reactions in both sexes towards the pregnant woman, which make her a more central and desired part of the community, reduce her need to compete for resources and increasing her likelihood of survival( and therefore of her offspring).

There's a reason why some of the most ancient art pays homage to the wonder of the pregnant woman. A woman produces more estrogen and progesterone during nine months of pregnancy than the entirety of the rest of her life.

It drives the rest of us crazy and we're barely even aware of it.

*Yes, I know evolution is not intelligent or directed in any sense

Evolution is cleverer than that.*

Massive amounts of our evolution has gone into the creation and reinforcement of basic social structures. If men saw a pregnant woman as "not of interest", then it would mean that she has to compete more for resources and attention, which doesn't make a sense from a survival point of view.

Hormonal increases in pregnant women, in general spark unconscious reactions in both sexes towards the pregnant woman, which make her a more central and desired part of the community, reduce her need to compete for resources and increasing her likelihood of survival( and therefore of her offspring).

There's a reason why some of the most ancient art pays homage to the wonder of the pregnant woman. A woman produces more estrogen and progesterone during nine months of pregnancy than the entirety of the rest of her life.

It drives the rest of us crazy and we're barely even aware of it.

*Yes, I know evolution is not intelligent or directed in any sense

That's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

people who will que in their cars blocking the road to wait to park in a full carpark despite the light flashing to say it is full, cones and men in high vis being put there to prevent them doing this -
    meanwhile a 600 space almost empty car park entrance is ten foot from them - but no, they block the roundabout and road.

This is Swords Pavilions right? Has to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Only twats say that

Advertisement