Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Alcohol and the Irish obsession with it............every week in work.........'Where where you the week end?' 'Wheres your local?" "Where you for this wkd?"

Every Thurs/Fri/Sat.........queues in the local shop with fellas/ladies buying cans, vino, etc

I like to enjoy the wkd and not have complete blur all the time
    I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

KFC, Burger King and others trying to play to the vegan crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

My love for Blake Shelton.It has just popped up out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

KFC, Burger King and others trying to play to the vegan crowd.

There a market for it, money to be made. Whats not to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

They cook in the same oil as the meat/chicken so it's not really vegan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Companies using the door to door/cold calling sales model - they know it just annoys people.

Excuse me Raconteuse, can I share with you a message of hope from the Bible? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

vriesmays wrote: »
    They cook in the same oil as the meat/chicken so it's not really vegan.

^^this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Bracken81 wrote: »

WKD? That's an alcoholic drink I don't get right there.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Famous old rock bands who gig in Ireland with a different lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

There a market for it, money to be made. Whats not to get?
    Burger King isn't catering to vegan/vegetarians. Their burgers will be cooked on the same grills as meat products, they've admitted that themselves. I don't eat meat and I don't trust fast food places not to cook veggie stuff separately. Having a meat free day or two per week is a healthy option so fast food outlets are keen to cash in on that market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Burger King isn't catering to vegan/vegetarians. Their burgers will be cooked on the same grills as meat products, they've admitted that themselves. I don't eat meat and I don't trust fast food places not to cook veggie stuff separately. Having a meat free day or two per week is a healthy option so fast food outlets are keen to cash in on that market.

Nuts. I hadn't heard about that but just read this;
    https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02/03/business/31reuters-rstrnt-brnd-burger-king-impossible-whopper-lawsuit.html

Is it just BK though or all of the chains?

There was an article in the paper last weekend about Adamstown. One guy said he rents and most of his neighbours are non-nationals. He said - another bonus is that it’s massively diverse here. I don't understand this. Why is this a bonus compared to all native locals there?

Here's the article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/election-2020-in-commuterville-they-built-the-houses-and-left-the-people-in-a-vacuum-1.4156681
    If I were to suggest that lots of white people should move to say, Africa and argue that white people are needed in countries where white people are a minority in order to culturally enrich those countries and insist that those countries are too black/brown, too Muslim, then I'd be called a racist. But when people insist that Ireland and Europe need more brown, black and or Muslim people to culturally enrich us and make us less white it's a different story.

The argument is basically that we need less white more brown and that is racism. A country isn't enhanced by skin colour, whether it's brown black or green. As far as I can see this just means that there's a chip shop, a Chinese takeaway, an Indian takeaway and a kebab shop in the town.

Bracken81 wrote: »
    Alcohol and the Irish obsession with it............every week in work.........'Where where you the week end?' 'Wheres your local?" "Where you for this wkd?"

Every Thurs/Fri/Sat.........queues in the local shop with fellas/ladies buying cans, vino, etc

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one

For many enjoying the weekend is going out drinking.

I don’t really get your outlook on it tbh, I love drinking and getting drunk and find it hard to understand why someone would deny themselves what is probably my favourite thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I don’t really get your outlook on it tbh, I love drinking and getting drunk and find it hard to understand why someone would deny themselves what is probably my favourite thing to do.

Because they are different than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Your posts are the classic example of why the obsession with drink is so sad.

A whole life revolving around drink, getting drunk the focal point of every single life experience, drink, drink drink all the time. Weekend? Drink. Meeting friends? Drink. Flying to Dubai? Drink. Its just pathetic.

I like a drink as well but these people who are constantly itching for a barstool have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

That someone could be married for 27 years + manage to father two children + then come out as gay.

Totally + utterly baffles me. If he came out as bisexual now that would make sense but not as gay.

By the way I've no problem with someone being gay but just dont understand it in this case.

appledrop wrote: »
    That someone could be married for 27 years + manage to father two children + then come out as gay.

Totally + utterly baffles me. If he came out as bisexual now that would make sense but not as gay.

By the way I've no problem with someone being gay but just dont understand it in this case.
    Like yourself I don't have an issue with him being gay, I can only suspect that him coming out now is a case of jumping before he was pushed so I think someone had dirt on him. What does bother me is people praising him for coming out and those people who call him brave and a hero, well if he'd announced that he was leaving his wife of 27 years for another woman would he still be brave and a hero? I don't sympathise with him because I always found him narcissistic and self serving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Like yourself I don't have an issue with him being gay, I can only suspect that him coming out now is a case of jumping before he was pushed so I think someone had dirt on him. What does bother me is people praising him for coming out and those people who call him brave and a hero, well if he'd announced that he was leaving his wife of 27 years would he still be brave and a hero? I don't sympathise with him because I always found him narcissistic and self serving.

I don’t understand how you could sympathise with someone who has lived a lie for 27 years and has now cracked the foundations of the family he created in that time by deciding (27 years later) that he is gay? It’s utterly bizzare and there’s nothing to be applauded here regardless of what persuasion he is or how “brave” he’s deemed to be - it’s just wrong on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Like yourself I don't have an issue with him being gay, I can only suspect that him coming out now is a case of jumping before he was pushed so I think someone had dirt on him. What does bother me is people praising him for coming out and those people who call him brave and a hero, well if he'd announced that he was leaving his wife of 27 years for another woman would he still be brave and a hero? I don't sympathise with him because I always found him narcissistic and self serving.

Exactly what I think. By coming out as gay he is basically saying that he never fancied or truly loved his wife. How could you do that after 27 years of marriage. Its the worst possible betrayal in my eyes. The fact he thinks he is brave baffles me.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I don’t understand how you could sympathise with someone who has lived a lie for 27 years and has now cracked the foundations of the family he created in that time by deciding (27 years later) that he is gay? It’s utterly bizzare and there’s nothing to be applauded here regardless of what persuasion he is or how “brave” he’s deemed to be - it’s just wrong on so many levels.
    I don't believe he suddenly realised that he was gay, I think he probably always knew and got married anyway. I can sympathise on a basic human level, I also sympathise with his wife because of the appalling public humiliation she's going through but I also don't believe that she hasn't in the past 27 years had an inkling that her husband is attracted to men. I've never liked the guy and like I said, I don't think that he willingly came out now, I think someone was going to expose him so he decided to get ahead of the story and come out first, I expect that there's going to be dirt in the papers soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I don't believe he suddenly realised that he was gay, I think he probably always knew and got married anyway. I can sympathise on a basic human level, I also sympathise with his wife because of the appalling public humiliation she's going through but I also don't believe that she hasn't in the past 27 years had an inkling that her husband is attracted to men. I've never liked the guy and like I said, I don't think that he willingly came out now, I think someone was going to expose him so he decided to get ahead of the story and come out first, I expect that there's going to be dirt in the papers soon enough.

Yeah 1 or 2 years in to a marriage it’s understandable, but 27 years with 2 kids involved??? I can’t wrap my head around it and you may be right in saying he’s getting ahead of the dirt, but even then I can’t fathom how someone could live such a damaging lie for 27 years

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think Candie predicted something would could out about him in the thread about people you can't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I think Candie predicted something would could out about him in the thread about people you can't stand.

i was assuming it was he was bullying colleagues, he's been noted for being difficult/a pain to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was there. But I let it become a bit of a problem (bottle of rum a night) and have since basically given up drinking. I went drinking 5 times last year, 2 weddings, a gig and 2 nights out. Great times, horrible 2-4 day hangover.
    ...I can only suspect that him coming out now is a case of jumping before he was pushed so I think someone had dirt on him.

Hah, my aunt has a theory on this. Rylan used to be on the show a lot, or had a similar show, or something (apparantly, I don't watch TV), and allegedly he's just disappeared without a word. The aunt reckons himself and Phil were bumping uglies and Phil done this as damage control. Who knows!

The argument is basically that we need less white more brown and that is racism. A country isn't enhanced by skin colour, whether it's brown black or green. As far as I can see this just means that there's a chip shop, a Chinese takeaway, an Indian takeaway and a kebab shop in the town.
    The best bit is none of the 90% of tech workers living in the Docklands are Irish, they will return home eventually. It's the new taxi drivers and kebab shop workers that are here to stay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

none of the 90% of tech workers living in the Docklands are Irish,

That's not true. There are a good proportion of them Irish born.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Cricket. The game obviously. I just don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Aye, and he's one of many. I think it's just simply a case of fear and shame back when he realised it - probably the late 70s/early 80s. Even a liberal western country like Britain could be very hostile for gay people then - not everywhere was like the Blitz club in London (I'm reminded of the song Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat). Boy George may have been huge but never actually confirmed at the time that he liked men. Also, and probably more importantly to the individual, there's the family view on it. Philip's folks might have disowned him.

So he did the thing that was expected of him. But I do agree it's bizarre how he kept it up (pun totally intended) for so long. I suppose it's a difficult one to come back from, especially when there are children and their reality as they knew it would be turned upside down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

But how did he keep it up for so long?

Advertisement