Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Hail/sleet falling since midnight in Knockananna Wicklow 225m asl very gusty!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Snowing here now, mixed in with graupel. 2c. Heavy winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Just had a heavy wintry shower here in central Mayo. Predominantly graupel.

Graupel again.. with each shower the temp is dropping further. 1.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Car reading 4.5 here Cork City Central. Dry with a slight breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Good morning
    Snow without setting in blessington

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

There were quite bullish views of perhaps 5cm 10cm snow potential at low level here a few days ago. What's the view today? I'm not too optimistic but temperature is certainly plummeted this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A few flakes mixed with rain in Galway city in a wild shower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

There were quite bullish views of perhaps 5cm 10cm snow potential at low level here a few days ago. What's the view today? I'm not too optimistic but temperature is certainly plummeted this morning

Current temperature reports from met eireann for the southern Ireland are ranging from 3c/6c northern Ireland 1c/4c
    On less there is a large drop in temperatures I don't see anything in the way of thoes depths of snow.
    You might see some snow in heavier showers due to evaporation cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The best uppers for snowfall are actually some time away yet, Tuesday morning seems to be the coldest portion of the snow window of opportunity. So some higher parts of Connacht and Ulster could be seeing significant accumulations and elsewhere it will be coming and going somewhat randomly but chances of it sticking will improve overnight and early Tuesday. I do think it will be hit or miss at lower elevations but some are going to have a bit of a covering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sleet showers in Kildare now. Not far off snow. The gusts really bring down the flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Persistent moderate sleet in South Laois. 2.5c falling rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The rain band which could turn to snow for some is now across the south of Ireland

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still blowy out there. Mace Head gusting 113 km/h in 0800 reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The rain band which could turn to snow for some is now across the south of Ireland

Only cold rain here near mallow anyway. As MT says need the colder uppers to dig in here later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Snowing here now, mixed in with graupel. 2c. Heavy winds.

Here where!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Surprised to wake up to a covering of snow in Letterkenny, light dusting on all surfaces. Snowing again at the moment

Here where!!!!!!

In Northern Ireland somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Moderate wet snow, big flakes in South Laois. 1.7c and 0.5c DP. Cold.

Surprised to wake up to a covering of snow in Letterkenny, light dusting on all surfaces. Snowing again at the moment

You must live quite high up? The snowline where I am is at 200 metres. But then Letterkenny is on a hill isn’t it?

This cold shot has been weaker than I expected in that the temps hovered about 1.5c all night..it was almost as if the airmass had a “set” temperature for each elevation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    You must live quite high up? The snowline where I am is at 200 metres. But then Letterkenny is on a hill isn’t it?

This cold shot has been weaker than I expected in that the temps hovered about 1.5c all night..it was almost as if the airmass had a “set” temperature for each elevation.

Where are you?

I just said Ulster last night. Nowhere exciting.

Maybe tonight we’ll get more out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some snow falling now but hasn’t a hope of settling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Big wet flakes now falling on the kildare/Laois border ... it’s bitterly cold out. Not a hope of it sticking to roads but grass is turning white.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

On the non technical thread some reports already of sticking snow. Surprising given current temps are:-

temp_uk.png

and current dew points are:-

pointrosee_uk.png

Certainly down here in Cork we are a long way from the parameters you'd need for snow. Less so further north obviously. But can't see anywhere in the 26 counties anyway (if we are allowed say that anymore with our new Sinn Fein overlords!) that has snow parameters just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Snowing heavily now in Limerick City..

Snowing. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,860 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Snow in Portlaoise , big heavy flakes .
    Something very calming about watching snow fall :)

I’m going up to 300m will update soon!

• Advertisement

Snowing heavily now in Limerick City..

Getting close to cork now!

Advertisement