Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Light dusting of snow in Collon Co Louth this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Well it's heavy,sleety rain in Enniscorthy. Utterly miserable.

Starting to change to sleet now was nice for 15min :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Very heavy in Arklow and settling
    Big flakes
    Currently 0.9c
    Dewpoint-2c

Place is very white now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Well... what a slushy, marginal mess. Despite temps remaining around 2c we have struggled to remain as snow here.

The snow line is about 200m and rising. Above 300m there is a proper covering.

Tonight may bring snow but I’m not confident! It’s surprising how marginal it is. I guess the Atlantic saturated that lower layer, despite the cold temperatures.

Knock gusting 41 knots with a dew point of -4 and a temperature of 5 degrees. Windchill!

That’s odd. Dew points are close to 0c here and it is very marginal!

• Advertisement

Letterkenny is built on two sides of a valley, lower parts of the town are pretty much at sea level, higher parts around 200m. I'm at around 90m I think.

Snow mostly melted again now though some nice heavy hail squalls keeping the place white

Thanks. It’s turned very marginal with sleety snow at 2c.

Tonight will probably be when it turns wintry proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Am hearing there's heavy snow on Cork to Dublin motorway near Thurles see corksafetyalerts

The cold spell we had about two weeks ago was much better than this despite the warmer air? Bit odd.

We managed an inch or two at sea level.

Is the marginality down to the strong winds?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Am hearing there's heavy snow on Cork to Dublin motorway near Thurles see corksafetyalerts

I really hope your saying told ya so 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The cold spell we had about two weeks ago was much better than this despite the warmer air? Bit odd.

We managed an inch or two at sea level.

Its early yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Bad snow in Kilkenny apparently. Heard from my brother that they are sending the kids home from school

US2 wrote: »
    Its early yet.

It is, but I expected the showers to be of snow given that it is only 2c. It looks to me that there has been a lot of mixing/saturation and modification in this air mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

brettmirl wrote: »
    Bad snow....

No such thing!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

THUNDER!!!!! And gone very very dark..... West Mayo offshore.. had a little hail a while back....HUGE hailstones now..... OH MY!

More thunder and the power on and off..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It is, but I expected the showers to be of snow given that it is only 2c. It looks to me that there has been a lot of mixing and modification in this air mass.

Hi, I think you are in the North West. If so dew points are actually higher there than in a swathe below you from the mid west to the east coast.

Hi, I think you are in the North West. If so dew points are actually higher there than in a swathe below you from the mid west to the east coast.

I have looked at the radar and it’s a real mix everywhere. I don’t think the cold air has fully embedded.

Looks to be marginal in Scotland too.

Dew points falling as showers clear here but rising within the showers. 🀔

Forecast does show heavy snow for me from 3am tonight but heavy rain before that. So maybe a warm sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Knock gusting 41 knots with a dew point of -4 and a temperature of 5 degrees. Windchill!
    That’s odd. Dew points are close to 0c here and it is very marginal!

It's wet-bulb temperature that's important, not dewpoint. A dewpoint of -4 with a temperature of +5 means a wbt of around +1.4. WBT above about 0.5 °C is usually the cut-off, except for heavy showers.

Here are the current wbts. Knock's is currently +1.3 °C.

https://weather.us/observations/ireland/wet-bulb-temperature/20200210-1100z.html

It's wet-bulb temperature that's important, not dewpoint. A dewpoint of -4 with a temperature of +5 means a wbt of around +1.4. WBT above about 0.5 °C is usually the cut-off, except for heavy showers.

Here are the current wbts. Knock's is currently +1.3 °C.

https://weather.us/observations/ireland/wet-bulb-temperature/20200210-1100z.html

Yup, it’s incredibly marginal. What do you think of our chances tonight?

Yup, it’s incredibly marginal. What do you think of our chances tonight?

Better

• Advertisement

In these sorts of air masses, no matter the situation, the cut off always seems to be 200/300m... why always that level exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Highly unlikely there will be much snow in cork city today , maybe a passing shower. Latest TAF features hail or rain showers. Temp at current is also about 6/7 degrees with a few point of around 3 degrees. North cork however has a chance along with the west of the county.

We live in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

A few thunderstorms popping up in the west at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Timistry wrote: »
    A few thunderstorms popping up in the west at the moment.

Lots of Thunder in Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

wheres all the technical stuff gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Durrow
    xso8sVv.jpg

The GFS is still slightly undergoing the thickness values this morning. The 12Z Valentia sounding gave thickness there of 526 dam but the 06Z GFS forecast had it at 524 dam. This cold bias will likely only get larger when the cold air arrives later. The ECM has it more in line with observations for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

A few photos and videos of the conditions up at the Sally Gap in Wicklow on this twitter thread. (Click on the tweet to see other pics & videos)

https://twitter.com/IrelandSkycam/status/1226859370732040194?s=20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's been dry here in Meath since yesterday evening, but looks to be a shower approaching at last.

raining now with bits of sleet mixed in with it.

• Advertisement

The net weather radar shows rain and sleet over Southern Ireland.

Advertisement