Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last cut of the year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

first cut on the front lawn today. about half a dozen little slugs stuck to my trouserlegs after.

Done mine too all 1 Acre..:( the moss is savage though and spreading mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Did mine at the weekend, highest setting wasnt doing much so I dropped it down halfway and mulched.

Feckin moss is unreal this year, now that the sun is finally hitting the garden over the trees I'm hoping it will burn off a bit....but I also got depressed with it so lashed on some feed'n'weed and will get it all up in a week or so with the scarifier.

I did one section of the garden last autumn with the scarifier and it has zero moss and a lovely coverage of grass...after I scarified it last year it was very bald and I did nothing other than casually overseed (no prep) so Im really going to go after it before Spring kicks in this year.

I dont even want to talk about the moss in the front garden :(

I’m in Galway and manys the bad frost and snow we had in February here.ill stick to Patrick’s week.

Every golf course in Ireland still cut their grass multiple times per week in winter without worrying about frost or snow.
    I dont think your 2 inch meadow grass will mind if their 10mm fescue/bent grass doesnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Cut mine today. Alot of moss. Contemplating buying a petrol scarifier
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Gude-40cm-Petrol-Scarifier-GV-4000-B-5-2-HP-/193323141548
    Large garden. Would use it few times a year.

Bit the bullet and purchased. Bought direct from their website and was 20 cheaper. Hopefully get it next week. I'll update to how it fares on its trial run if anybody's intrested. I have an electric one I purchased a few years back which does the job perfectly but dragging cables around a 3/4 acres isn't ideal

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Have a stihl multitool meself for the lawn. Scarifier and Aerator attachments. Great job.

Don't be tempted to scarify in the autumn though - all the side shoots grow from august through october. Scarifying cuts and pulls them leaving more room for weeds and harming the grass. Might be common knowledge but worth saying cos I know lots of people scarify away in the autumn.

• Advertisement

Don't be tempted to scarify in the autumn though - all the side shoots grow from august through october. Scarifying cuts and pulls them leaving more room for weeds and harming the grass. Might be common knowledge but worth saying cos I know lots of people scarify away in the autumn.

Autumn is the best time for a deep scarifing run.
    You will avoid most of the seeds from weeds finding a home in your newly exposed soil.
    There is nothing wrong with pruning the side/creeping shoots, it's actually encourages growth, it's not harming the grass at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I cut my grass yesterday really short. It’s filled with moss. I have ordered this from amazon to try out and arrives on Monday

BLACK+DECKER 600W 30cm Lawn Raker

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00170NWP2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_V8MpEbFHKB8A6

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

My lawn is like a small swimming pool it's so wet.

The first min it's dry I'm going to cut and clear the sides...

Happy days

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Autumn is the best time for a deep scarifing run.
    You will avoid most of the seeds from weeds finding a home in your newly exposed soil.
    There is nothing wrong with pruning the side/creeping shoots, it's actually encourages growth, it's not harming the grass at all.

Goes against most books I've read on the subject. If you scarify in the spring before weeds are seeding and when the grass is actively growing you'll do far more good than harming the side shoots pre-winter.

Goes against most books I've read on the subject. If you scarify in the spring before weeds are seeding and when the grass is actively growing you'll do far more good than harming the side shoots pre-winter.

What you call harming side shoots is the equivalent to pruning the grass plant. Grass is still growing well in Ireland in autumn, especially September.

Note I'm not saying don't do it in spring, but there is nothing at all wrong with doing it in autumn.

https://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/topic/scarifying-raking/when-to-rake-or-scarify

• Advertisement

Scarifier came on Monday. Had a chance to play with it for half hour today. Very impressed. Will obviously wait til conditions improve to tackle whole site but couldn't resist today. Some amount of ****e pulled up, and that's on highest setting

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Did mine at the weekend, highest setting wasnt doing much so I dropped it down halfway and mulched.

Feckin moss is unreal this year, now that the sun is finally hitting the garden over the trees I'm hoping it will burn off a bit....but I also got depressed with it so lashed on some feed'n'weed and will get it all up in a week or so with the scarifier.

I did one section of the garden last autumn with the scarifier and it has zero moss and a lovely coverage of grass...after I scarified it last year it was very bald and I did nothing other than casually overseed (no prep) so Im really going to go after it before Spring kicks in this year.

I dont even want to talk about the moss in the front garden :(

what do you mean when you say casually overseed?

Are you planning on over seeding or letting nature take its course?
    How about any lawn feed/weed/moss products?

what do you mean when you say casually overseed?

Fired some grass seed over the area and did nothing else other than water.

Yeah will overseed. Soil will be quiet bare when it's done. Have bought couple of bags of iron sulphate too which I plan on putting on garden week or two before I scarify properly. It's going to be time consuming enough job but will be worth it. I normally put a feed around may

Fired some grass seed over the area and did nothing else other than water.

would you recommend this approach for a larger lawn?

Yeah will overseed. Soil will be quiet bare when it's done. Have bought couple of bags of iron sulphate too which I plan on putting on garden week or two before I scarify properly. It's going to be time consuming enough job but will be worth it. I normally put a feed around may

Is Iron sulphate available in pellet format (Like some fertilizer)
    Whats peoples thoughts on using lime - I believe that will kill moss also, in advance of any scarifying work

Haven't seen it in pellet form tbh. I buy it in 25kg bags. It's a fine powder. I spread it then with a drop spreader. I don't really like using it tbh as it stains tarmac so I'm always paranoid some will spill or blow off to the surrounding tarmac. There's another product called mo bacter which eliminates moss but it's very expensive to use on larger gardens.

would you recommend this approach for a larger lawn?

I was using some old grass seed I had so wasn't terribly bothered by the results.
    If I was doing w full lawn and it was very bare I would probably scarify to create a seed bed and then cover any large bare areas with a topsoil and sand mix.
    Tbh the most important thing is to not let the seeds dry out, the birds won't eat that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can't imagine when I will be able to get the lawnmower out this year.

I was on my gardens a few times recently patching up a perimeter fence which is in need of repair, and they are sodden. Holding so much water.
    And with supposedly a months rain to come this weekend, they will be a lot worse.

Will we ever get enough dry and warm weather to dry them out properly?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I can't imagine when I will be able to get the lawnmower out this year.

I was on my gardens a few times recently patching up a perimeter fence which is in need of repair, and they are sodden. Holding so much water.
    And with supposedly a months rain to come this weekend, they will be a lot worse.

Will we ever get enough dry and warm weather to dry them out properly?
    I was up and in the garden before 8am this morning collecting the last of the moss and thatch that I raked up last weekend.
    Glad I did as there are several swimming pools out there!

I have 2 sections to my rear garden, they are on different levels.

Usually the upper level would have been my better quality grass, with the lower level more marshy due to the fact that it is the low point between the surrounding neighbours gardens and a field out back.

The bottom is a disaster this winter. It is very boggy and wet.
    However, I walked through the upper bit yesterday and the soil is physically shifting under my feet, it is like walking on hard gel, best way I can describe it.

Has been a terribly wet winter, and they seem to be more common these last few years. I really need a good spring/summer this year.

Would you consider building a soakaway pit at the lowest end to dry the grass out?

Good bit of work mind you, but not difficult.

Would you consider building a soakaway pit at the lowest end to dry the grass out?

Good bit of work mind you, but not difficult.

What's involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

NIMAN wrote: »
    What's involved?
    plenty of digging!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

shanec1928 wrote: »
    plenty of digging!:D

Pretty much this
    And lots of stone !

If you google french drains it will give you an idea
    Basically dig channels in lawn (fill them with stone and maybe drainage pipe depending on size of lawn/length of channels )that flow towards the stone filled soak pit
    If it’s a small lawn you could do it yourself
    If it’s a bigger area then hire a mini digger /man with mini digger

Overall not very costly really if you think it’s going to be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

Crows ripping my lawn apart last few days. All this rain must be driving worms to the surface. Hairy Japanese bast@rds!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Got it cut yesterday and can’t believe how long it got in 3 weeks. It was unbelievably dry n looks good now. Another storm n deluge tomorrow. ����

• Administrators Posts: 53,376 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I cut mine for the first time today on the highest mower setting and I was surprised how yellow it looks in places now and bare.

Is it too early in the year to put down feed and more seed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

awec wrote: »
    I cut mine for the first time today on the highest mower setting and I was surprised how yellow it looks in places now and bare.

Is it too early in the year to put down feed and more seed?

Yes it’s too early, hold off another couple of weeks at least

Advertisement