Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last cut of the year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its never really the wrong time to sow seed in Ireland, there are obviously times that are better than others, but once soils temps are above 6C you will get germination.

Spring can be very dry and once you get germination you need to keep them damp or they will die. i'd have no issue throwing out some seed now tbh, but it depends on where you are, exposure, what quality of result you are looking for any lots of other factors!

• Administrators Posts: 53,376 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its never really the wrong time to sow seed in Ireland, there are obviously times that are better than others, but once soils temps are above 6C you will get germination.

Spring can be very dry and once you get germination you need to keep them damp or they will die. i'd have no issue throwing out some seed now tbh, but it depends on where you are, exposure, what quality of result you are looking for any lots of other factors!

It's a back garden for kids to run around on, so I'm not looking for a plush carpet.

Might throw some down at the weekend, worst case I've to do it again in a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did my back garden on a low setting yesterday while it was wind dried! Did a decent job, it's notable how tufty it can get over the winter.

I'm not that bothered by aesthetics as in about a month I'm going to get very short and then leave it for 6 weeks while the buttercups, daisies, dandelions etc are showing themselves, then cut again and leave again and that should take it to the end of the "yellow season"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Walked about 10 foot into the garden yesterday, squelchy as a bog..no chance of a cut and that was in a traditionally good spot. Gardens look like a field fit for sheep or cattle..must be easily 7 inches high in the tufts and there's loads of them :(. Heavy clay here :(

I've got brilliant light loam, nearly impossible to flood :) but also needs fortifying with compost to hold moisture in the summer.

(sorry for your earth)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Took my first cut today. Didn't. Take a lot off but it looks alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I trimmed my back garden last week and managed to get the strimmer out to do the edges. Looking out through the rain-spattered windows I almost need to do it again already...!

A sunny and dry day in Dublin, though cold. Any reasons why i shouldn't mow today?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Unless your ground is sodden and you'd risk tearing it up, I'd have no hesitation in cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Every lawn in the country will look like a pool table after these two weeks :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

All in all, you cant be the smell of a freshly cut lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yes it’s too early, hold off another couple of weeks at least

Same first cut yesterday , needed it

beertons wrote: »
    All in all, you cant be the smell of a freshly cut lawn.

Don't you dare limit me!
    I can be whatever I want :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Same first cut yesterday , needed it

Same here. I'm in a row of three houses out in the countryside. The other two houses had the lawnmowers out within the hour! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Finally got my front garden cut couple of days ago, looks a lot better now.
    That means Spring has arrived for me.
    It was actually dry so got a bit of tidying up done too.

No such luck with the back, where a drain guy thinks I have a broken pipe, so area of back garden is still like a bog with standing water.

Hopefully will get that sorted in the coming week or two, get the back up and running again.

Got the front and back done again yesterday, front had only a top cut last week so back down to normal levels now.
    Also scarified them both over the weekend, jesus the amount of stuff that comes is unreal.

I used the mower on highest setting to collect and had a full bag after three widths...took about 25 bags worth to collect it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Has anyone else ever considered the thought or toyed with the idea that cutting grass is akin to doing housework (like hoovering) except outside, but unlike housework it's an utterly pointless pursuit and only suited to those that can't think of anything better to do.

It's creating something aesthetically pleasing which can be enjoyable, if you think that's pointless.

But then again, as Wilde would say, all art is quite useless.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Has anyone else ever considered the thought or toyed with the idea that cutting grass is akin to doing housework (like hoovering) except outside, but unlike housework it's an utterly pointless pursuit and only suited to those that can't think of anything better to do.

Blaspheme!

Seriously though one of life's utmost pleasures for me is sitting on the patio in the evening summer sun overlooking the freshly trimmed lawn while I sip whatever tipple takes my fancy.

Like all the best things, a little work is required.

Plus it's good exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

I find it quite therapeutic. I've just over 3/4 of an acre and its good to just have some alone time with your thoughts, or put on some good tunes.

And like ShiverinEskimo, I get great satisfaction from looking out onto my freshly cut pristine lawns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I'm looking out at the lawn here. Lovely dry day. I reckon today could be the final cut of the year.

Giving serious consideration to paving and landscaping the back garden. So this could be the final cut ever.

:D Yes, indeedy it's that time of year again!

Got mine done last week, but I think there are a few tentative signs of dryish spells still to come.

Growth has definitely slowed down.

Not sure if I'll have to do another cut before end of this season, but I hope I don't cos the grass is sodden. So much rain over the last while. Can't see it drying out much to get it done.

Big problem is with a very heavy mower, is that I leave tracks in the soft soil, these these remain and when I come back next year you have small ridges in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

NIMAN wrote: »

Not sure if I'll have to do another cut before end of this season, but I hope I don't cos the grass is sodden. So much rain over the last while. Can't see it drying out much to get it done.

Big problem is with a very heavy mower, is that I leave tracks in the soft soil, these these remain and when I come back next year you have small ridges in the garden

Same here, and I think we're in the same part if the world. But my added issue is that my lawnmower on won't start so I think I'll leave it til spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I cut the lawn yesterday, the grass was surprisingly dry considering all the rain we had.
    Ground was firm enough too .
    Just a light cut, to tidy it up and clear up leaves and debris .

Will apply the iron sulphate next weekend to kill off the moss and help the lawn through the winter.
    I bought a bag of XTEND 15+2+20 but it might be too late to apply that now.

I threw on an autumn feed a few days back.
    1st time I have ever used one, not sure if I'll even notice it working.

Grass definitely not as green this past year as it had been previously.
    I know I have a leatherjacket issue on parts of my front garden, I have treated that and will do so again in the spring.

Does anyone know if the effort I'm making at keeping fallen leaves off the lawn is worth it? Do they do any harm if left?
    (I say 'effort', for the most part the blower does all the work!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

I threw on an autumn feed a few days back.
    1st time I have ever used one, not sure if I'll even notice it working.

Grass definitely not as green this past year as it had been previously.
    I know I have a leatherjacket issue on parts of my front garden, I have treated that and will do so again in the spring.

Does anyone know if the effort I'm making at keeping fallen leaves off the lawn is worth it? Do they do any harm if left?
    (I say 'effort', for the most part the blower does all the work!)

How did you deal with leatherjackets?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BrandNewMedium

Might try to sneak a final cut on my half an acre tomorrow, anyone got any tips for a decent winter feed?

Planning to do a scarifying job in March with a decent sand on top so I’d like to enrich the soil a little to have root zone strong before that.

Grats wrote: »
    How did you deal with leatherjackets?

Bought nematodes.
    Only time will tell if they work.

As for lawn prep for the winter, what is the usual routine to help the lawns?

When does iron sulphate go down?
    When does sand go down?
    When best time to scarify (I had put it off til spring)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'd cut the grass everyday if I could. Love a freshly mown lawn. Housework, bah. An utterly thankless task that you should always try and outsource. Unfortunately, we've had to do it ourselves since March. Damn you Covid!

Advertisement