Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last cut of the year?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't think it'll be the last cut, but I was able to get a cut done today with the first decent day in about a month up here!

Soil still very sodden, but that's understandable considering its basically rained every day for a month, often incredibly heavily.

Thing I noticed about lawns that haven't been cut in maybe 3 or so weeks, is that it looks like individual blades of grass before the cut, but once you cut it, it takes on a more solid mass of grass, almost moss like. Gone are the individual blades. But if you cut it every couple of days during good weather, it always looks like grass. Anyone else notice this, or is it just mine?

And I only topped it today, due to the fact that it was so high.

Hopefully we'll get a decent spell of dry weather over the next week or two so I can get at it more often.
    I normally cut my grass to an inch but today had to cut it at 2 inches due to the dampness . Looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah I tend to leave my grass a bit longer, too many people scalp their grass imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Mowed at lunchtime, no chance it'll be the last, still heavy growth.
    Only December last year required no mowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did the front today very lush, and the back which was done last weekend already needs another cut. It's flying. Will be cutting it until December probably.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

September a huge month for my lawn. Have two bags of autumn feed to go down and then the scarifier will come out to clear the thatch. Long way off the last cut.

• Advertisement

I know we are a long way off the last cut, just had no other thread to post in!

Let's hope the weather dries up a fair bit between now and November, so we can keep cutting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

we can say in the east/southeast it's an all year passtime (!) if we want to make it so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm still cutting twice a week. Lots more growth in the year yet.

How did you manage to cut twice a week in August, it rained nearly every day (well it did in Donegal anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Belt went in mower a week ago....like a forest out their

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Growth as strong now as at any time of year so far. I mulch mine and if it’s not cut at least every 5 days the finish is not as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Is it me or does this thread or one similar start off again earlier and earlier every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Grass hasn’t and won’t slow down in the southwest unless temperatures drop significantly.

Still mowing rain or shine here.

I do my last cut of thee year on 23rd December at home in readiness for Christmas I then cut again second/third week of January for my birthday and then semi regularly until regular cutting resumes in March/April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

All going well there'll be a robomower of some description doing the lawns next year for me. Fecking sick of planning everything around cutting the grass with the weather we are having this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

No rain out there but not a breath of wind to dry the grass. I might just have cut regardless and ignore the subsequent mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Grass hasn’t and won’t slow down in the southwest unless temperatures drop significantly.

Still mowing rain or shine here.

I do my last cut of thee year on 23rd December at home in readiness for Christmas I then cut again second/third week of January for my birthday and then semi regularly until regular cutting resumes in March/April.

Very true. Grass never really stops growing, it just slows down when temperatures are consistently below 5 degrees. I have cut grass during dry spells in November and January.

I top mine once or twice in the winter alright but literally only a shave so as not to damage it. Really helps to have a newly sharpened blade too so there's no hacking or bruising happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭big_show

Looking to scarify the mother in law's lawn, very heavy with moss, planning to put some 4 in 1 on it tomorrow and scarify next Sunday. Expecting a lot to come off it so itll probably look a state, after I spread some grass seed can I expect a decent recovery before growth slows down? Based in the north west

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

end of oct i reckon for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

A landscaper told me they are cutting later and later each year for the last 10 years. Right up to the end of November now. I actually cut my lawn during a very dry day in early January. I think it was Jan 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

It’s like a meadow out there. Seems to be wet all the time with no real chance to cut it.

big_show wrote: »
    Looking to scarify the mother in law's lawn, very heavy with moss, planning to put some 4 in 1 on it tomorrow and scarify next Sunday. Expecting a lot to come off it so itll probably look a state, after I spread some grass seed can I expect a decent recovery before growth slows down? Based in the north west

Make sure you're using the autumn feed and not the normal 4-in-1 or you'll do more damage than good. I'd give it more than a week between treatment and scarifying too to let the moss die off as much as possible. It might say 'results in 7 days' but that's when you'll only start to see the blackening of the moss. Give it more time to work through completely.

UK_119701_MGE_PS.png?itok=ZhbH-XKC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Curly head wrote: »
    It’s like a meadow out there. Seems to be wet all the time with no real chance to cut it.
    mulch it. I cut ours in the lashing rain...unless it's too long of course and then u cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

For those that have blowers, it helps with collection if you blow the surface water off the grass before cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Discodog wrote: »
    For those that have blowers, it helps with collection if you blow the surface water off the grass before cutting it.

That's what I always do, you can also tie a bunch of branches or twigs together with two strings or ropes about eight feet long and pull them across the grass, I've also done that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Discodog wrote: »

Jays is never thought of that
    Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

A landscaper told me they are cutting later and later each year for the last 10 years. Right up to the end of November now. I actually cut my lawn during a very dry day in early January. I think it was Jan 3rd.

me too.. think it was just after new years day i had my 'first' cut of this year. weather was dry and had been reasonably mild for a few weeks preceeding it, so it was growing again.

EDIT: looking at my post history it was 30th Dec last year

Spread Autumn lawn feed 10 days ago. Cut the lawn yesterday with a view of starting the scarifying process today as the moss patches have gone fully black. Had the scarifier out and was mixing the fuel when a sudden and heavy downpour arrived and drowned the place. Scuppered for today.

I haven't been able to get near the garden for the last few weeks, we have never had a day without heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I cut it on Monday thinking that's it, it's already grown back. I'll try again next week. When should it stop growing.

Advertisement