Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last cut of the year?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have a care would you go cutting.manys the big frost we got in February and we still in January.youl be long enough cutting the fcuker all summer.
    The only thing to do with a lawn in January and February is stay off it according to the old timers.

Not at all. My grandfather and uncle were old time professional gardeners and they cut if dry in Winter. As Gerry Daly say: Grass in Ireland never really stops growing, it only slows down. If the ground is dry, cut when needed. Just keep winter cuts high.

Wish I could get o mine but it's much too wet to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Not at all. My grandfather and uncle were old time professional gardeners and they cut if dry in Winter. As Gerry Daly say: Grass in Ireland never really stops growing, it only slows down. If the ground is dry, cut when needed. Just keep winter cuts high.

Wish I could get o mine but it's much too wet to do so.

Surely depends on soil types and site locations though.a place below in Wexford might want cutting while a place above in the likes of belmullet and a blackbird would be leaving tracks with it logged with water.
    I’d never cut until Patrick’s week in March and I’d finish up late September early October.ive enough to be doing without being a slave to a lawn aswell.
    Lawnmower gets stripped and power washed end of season here and deck etc are painted in winter.
    No harm leaving a bit of length on it for the winter in my books.
    If it was bad enough come spring and you could turn in a lock of geese or a few light ewes.they wouldn’t be long with trimming it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Surely depends on soil types and site locations though.a place below in Wexford might want cutting while a place above in the likes of belmullet and a blackbird would be leaving tracks with it logged with water.
    I’d never cut until Patrick’s week in March and I’d finish up late September early October.ive enough to be doing without being a slave to a lawn aswell.
    Lawnmower gets stripped and power washed end of season here and deck etc are painted in winter.
    If it was bad enough come spring and you could turn in a lock of geese or a few light ewes.they wouldn’t be long with trimming it

About as southwest as you can get here and I cut up 23rd december and have already cut mine again I'll be cutting again in February unless we get a very cold snap.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    About as southwest as you can get here and I cut up 23rd december and have already cut mine again I'll be cutting again in February unless we get a very cold snap.

I’m in Galway and manys the bad frost and snow we had in February here.ill stick to Patrick’s week.

I specifically said if the ground is dry.
    And a very high cut.

• Advertisement

They’re after promising snow for Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭standardg60

They’re after promising snow for Tuesday

God you remind me of JM Synge!

I’m in Galway and manys the bad frost and snow we had in February here.ill stick to Patrick’s week.

It would have to be a very hard frost to cause any trouble, I cut some grass in december that was hard with frost as I cut it, it has already grown 1"

I specifically said if the ground is dry.
    And a very high cut.

It can still be cut pretty short in the winter, I'll perhaps raise it 1 notch on the walk behind to allow for soft ground.

It can still be cut pretty short in the winter, I'll perhaps raise it 1 notch on the walk behind to allow for soft ground.

What’s the need thought to cut it short in winter?whats the advantages compared to leaving the ground rest and having no traffic on it during winter.
    Youl have nothing but moss after time I reckon and compacted soils.

• Advertisement

What’s the need thought to cut it short in winter?whats the advantages compared to leaving the ground rest and having no traffic on it during winter.
    Youl have nothing but moss after time I reckon and compacted soils.

Why wouldnt you want it looking nice all year round?

Compaction isn't a problem as I'll generally only cut when dry, it actually gets cut wet more in the summer than winter!

No problems with moss, I also don't mulch - ever!

Compaction isn't a problem as I'll generally only cut when dry, it actually gets cut wet more in the summer than winter!

Would you aerate scarify and manure during the year

Would you aerate scarify and manure during the year

Keep meaning to scarify although it doesn't need it, fed the lawn three years ago, again doesnt really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Same here. Leave it long over the Winter & it never dries out & the sun can't reach the roots so perfect for moss.

If it's growing then cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am West of Galway & we have only had three frosts so far & none of them below zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

I'm in Mayo and I seen a man round baling today :-)
    I cut our lawn on the 4 jan and it would need cutting again but with the bad forecast ahead itll be left.

I never before heard of someone cutting grass that was frozen.theres a first for everything I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Time to rename thread to FIRST CUT OF THE YEAR?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I had my lawn aerated last week, going to wait another week at least till I go over it with the mower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did the very top inch or so of the back lawn yesterday. Just a tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

beertons wrote: »
    I had my lawn aerated last week, going to wait another week at least till I go over it with the mower.

How did you get it aerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Had to do a tidy of one of the lawns today. Some amount of growing in places from November until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Topped mine on Friday with the lawnmower at the highest setting. Growth is unreal,I mulch mine so it’s probably a bit richer n growing that bit faster. Mulching is good for keeping the moss at bay as well

Curly head wrote: »
    Topped mine on Friday with the lawnmower at the highest setting. Growth is unreal,I mulch mine so it’s probably a bit richer n growing that bit faster. Mulching is good for keeping the moss at bay as well
    Did mine too but mulching didn't prevent a vigorous growth of moss over the winter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I mulched for a whole season and never got moss as bad as the following season. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭blackbox

Moss thrives in Ireland. Thrives in shade, thrives in sun. I don't find mulching or not mulching makes any difference.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Grats wrote: »
    How did you get it aerated?

Rented the machine from the local hire place. Looks like the place is covered in dog crap. Doesn't stop the kids trampling all over it and dragging it into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

beertons wrote: »
    Rented the machine from the local hire place. Looks like the place is covered in dog crap. Doesn't stop the kids trampling all over it and dragging it into the house.

Didn't know you could hire one. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Cut mine today. Alot of moss. Contemplating buying a petrol scarifier
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Gude-40cm-Petrol-Scarifier-GV-4000-B-5-2-HP-/193323141548
    Large garden. Would use it few times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first cut on the front lawn today. about half a dozen little slugs stuck to my trouserlegs after.

Advertisement