Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bite today

Options
  • 06-02-2020 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if I'm doing the right thing here and or should I take it further. I was off work today and walking my Yorkshire terrier with my 20 month old baby in his buggy as I came around a corner in an estate close to mine a Doberman was coming towards me. Off the lead and no muzzle. I knew it was going to attack my dog so I picked my dog up as fast as I could and turned my back also protecting my child too. I then felt unbelievable pain as the Doberman bit me in my upper leg. The owner came running around and told it to stop. And then her husband too. They said they where sorry and it never happened before. I was crouched down in agony but I just wanted to get away from them and make sure my dog and my child where ok. I just said to them to leave me alone. I went around the corner and I checked the bite. I was cut open and already had bruising so I went to the doctor who gave me a tetnis shot and also antibiotics and pain killers. I then went to the guards and told them of the incident. There were no other witness's to this so I know it could be their word against mine. I just can't believe they had a dog like that not muzzled or on a lead. What should I do next or if I should do anymore? I have their address and the guard said he would be paying them a visit tonight or in the morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Their word against the big ol’ bite mark on your leg. I’d report. That dog wasn’t under any sort of control, effective or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Take photos of your leg with a date immediately.
    (To prove it was today)
    You are well in your rights to compensation. Lawyer up

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Yeah well the guard has taken my statement. My doctor told me I was lucky I had a heavy jacket on at the time which took most of the bite otherwise there could be a chunk gone out of me. He also said expect it to be badly bruised over the next few days.i have pictures too of the bite so I'm thinking I will take it further. I'm shocked at them having it off the lead. I can't get over it .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

martin101 wrote: »
    Yeah well the guard has taken my statement. My doctor told me I was lucky I had a heavy jacket on at the time which took most of the bite otherwise there could be a chunk gone out of me. He also said expect it to be badly bruised over the next few days.i have pictures too of the bite so I'm thinking I will take it further. I'm shocked at them having it off the lead. I can't get over it .

Go back to see Gardai tomorrow afternoon and ask the outcome, then go see a solicitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

Hi, just wondering if I'm doing the right thing here and or should I take it further. I was off work today and walking my Yorkshire terrier with my 20 month old baby in his buggy as I came around a corner in an estate close to mine a Doberman was coming towards me. Off the lead and no muzzle. I knew it was going to attack my dog so I picked my dog up as fast as I could and turned my back also protecting my child too. I then felt unbelievable pain as the Doberman bit me in my upper leg. The owner came running around and told it to stop. And then her husband too. They said they where sorry and it never happened before. I was crouched down in agony but I just wanted to get away from them and make sure my dog and my child where ok. I just said to them to leave me alone. I went around the corner and I checked the bite. I was cut open and already had bruising so I went to the doctor who gave me a tetnis shot and also antibiotics and pain killers. I then went to the guards and told them of the incident. There were no other witness's to this so I know it could be their word against mine. I just can't believe they had a dog like that not muzzled or on a lead. What should I do next or if I should do anymore? I have their address and the guard said he would be paying them a visit tonight or in the morning.

I'd recommend some ice, tea, and inflatable cushion.

Maybe watch your karma too op.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get upset over things usually but having my son there today who is only a baby really angered me towards these people.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Take photos of your leg with a date immediately.
    (To prove it was today)
    You are well in your rights to compensation. Lawyer up

hellooooooo Josepha

Good luck on Saturday

Asitis2019 wrote: »

Watch my karma?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dog needs putting down and the owners restricted from dog ownership. Clearly not mature or responsible enough to own a dog.

Indeed. Should see his karma stock rise after protecting his child and pet, and reporting a dangerous dog.

• Advertisement

What?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Dog needs putting down and the owners restricted from dog ownership. Clearly not mature or responsible enough to own a dog.

maybe the dog was provoked

Are you on a wind up?

If it was under effective control, it still wouldn’t have been in a positi9n to attack, no matter how provoked.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Are you on a wind up?

Same poster again. Silly me. Safe to ignore, I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Everyone complains about the cost of insurance ... yet lots of assholes here saying u should sue straight away with little facts !!! What if your dog did the same... totally unusual for it... but it did.... would u like it if someone sued u or made u put it down??? Seriously.... look for them to cover the cost of the doctor maybe but don’t go cause the dog to be put down ... treats others as u would like them to treat u and so on

LillySV wrote: »
    Everyone complains about the cost of insurance ... yet lots of assholes here saying u should sue straight away with little facts !!! What if your dog did the same... totally unusual for it... but it did.... would u like it if someone sued u or made u put it down??? Seriously.... look for them to cover the cost of the doctor maybe but don’t go cause the dog to be put down ... treats others as u would like them to treat u and so on

My point entirely....I suspect this is a gross exaggeration

When I hear the term lawyer up, alarm bells ring.

We live in a compo culture

I'd always have my dog under control. These people didn't

I would treat others exactly the same as I expect to be treated.

And that would be not being bitten by their large unrestrained dogs.

I'm not sure what other facts are needed here other than an unrestrained dog attacked and bit the OP to the point of breaking the skin. Are there other facts material to the incident as you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Absolutely take this further.

Far too many dogs off leads which are not under control in society. The owners just don't give a 5h1t.

Make them care.

• Advertisement

My point entirely....I suspect this is a gross exaggeration

When I hear the term lawyer up, alarm bells ring.

We live in a compo culture

Your an idiot mate

^^
    I won’t go into details, but the opposite of that, with standard punctuation and no txtspk.

I'd always have my dog under control. These people didn't

And what if this dog was normally 100%... and this was totally unusual for it ... seriously ... is a little bite worth causing a dog to be put down and suffering for the family it lives with

And what if this dog was normally 100%... and this was totally unusual for it ... seriously ... is a little bite worth causing a dog to be put down and suffering for the family it lives with

This is nothing short of trolling

Yep.

Rodin wrote: »
    Absolutely take this further.

Far too many dogs off leads which are not under control in society. The owners just don't give a 5h1t.

Make them care.

Why don’t we put down those little bastard kids we see run fun around restrained one supermarkets while we are at it too

Mod edit: folks, this post and others from last night (6th Feb) continue to reported despite all having been dealt with last night.
    Can ye please stop reporting them at this point? 13:12hrs on 7th Feb).
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

And what if the dog had of bitten the 20 month old??? The dog owners should at least have to pay for the doctor visit and antibiotics.

Your an idiot mate

Maybe you can hire Jackie - he has a good success rate

Yeah it is

• Advertisement

Why don’t we put down those little bastard kids we see run fun around restrained one supermarkets while we are at it too

Lunatic stuff

Advertisement