Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bite today

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Some of the scum I know will get a different breed put on the dog licence so it "doesn't have to be muzzled" :confused:

They can put what they like on their license. People get caught by being stopped checked by the dog warden. If the dog warden sees them out and about with a listed breed that isn't on-lead or effectively muzzled, they're likely to get a fine or court. What's written on the license is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I don't like to see any animal put down but there might not be any other option unless the dog could be rehomed with someone with a track record of looking after a similar breed of dog properly.

More important than any civil case is that the current owners face prosecution for failing to control their dog, hopefully resulting in some kind of lengthy prohibition, ideally lifetime, on them being allowed to own any dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Agree with the above. Owners are clearly incredibly irresponsible and it could be a child or another innocent dog next time.
    At the very minimum your medical costs should be covered by them too, why should you be out of pocket because of their stupidity?

Feel sorry for both OP and the doberman. There is little else that can be done other than for him to be PTS and that's no ones fault but his owners. Irresponsible owners boil my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

The thing is I've seen this Doberman before with its owner. And he's forever smacking it on the nose. But this was the first time I seen it off the lead and sure enough I got bitten. Didn't sleep much last night due to pain and anger. And also thinking of the what ifs. That what makes me even more annoyed. You go out on a Thursday morning with a buggy to get your child asleep for a little nap, last thing you expect is a dog attack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

People like them are the reason Doberman have a bad rep and we have a dangerous dog list.
    Unless the dog can be re-homed with someone who can actually control a large dog and train it, it'll probably be put to sleep unfortunately.

If trained properly (like any dog) they can be an absolute teddy bear.

Owners should definitely be prosecuted as well and banned from owning animals as they clearly can't/won't train them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

It seems a lot of owners are too lazy to walk their dog and just let them off. There should be more of a clamp down on this.

Another thing that is annoying is when you have your dog muzzled and on a lead, some jack@+s, with his restricted breed, comes up to you and says if it needs a muzzle it not trained properly or should be put down..... It has happened a good few times with my GSD.

There should be a competence test to see if you can actually own a dog.

OP was it a built up area or in the countryside not that matters either way, just curious? Do people actually think they can run faster than their dog?

pinktoe wrote: »
    It seems a lot of owners are too lazy to walk their dog and just let them off. There should be more of a clamp down on this.

Another thing that is annoying is when you have your dog muzzled and on a lead, some jack@+s, with his restricted breed, comes up to you and says if it needs a muzzle it not trained properly or should be put down..... It has happened a good few times with my GSD.

There should be a competence test to see if you can actually own a dog.

OP was it a built up area or in the countryside not that matters either way, just curious? Do people actually think they can run faster than their dog?

No it happened me in an estate. Many kids in the estate too but it was at 10 am yesterday morning so most would be in school. Not that it matters, my child was with me and he's under 2. Loads of toddlers in the estate also. It's a fairly young estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

The dog needs to be taken asap. Absolute stupidity from the owners. While it shouldnt be free roaming any where, an estate is just beyond ignorant.

Imagine the damage that would be done to a kid.

Fair play for protecting your dog, some people would have froze with fear and your dog would have been dead.

pinktoe wrote: »
    It seems a lot of owners are too lazy to walk their dog and just let them off. There should be more of a clamp down on this

See this every time we're out walking our Doberman, there's usually a scramble to get the dog back and a lead on it when they see us, mind. Not that our dog so much as even looks at the other dog, she's more interested in the walk itself, or looking for a rub.

Lots of people shouldn't have dogs, as they're not willing to train them or exercise them properly. I feel bad if we can't get out for an evening if it's lashing rain.

The law needs to be changed to remove all ambiguity. No more of this “under effective control” stuff which is wide open to interpretation. The law should say a dog out in public must be on a lead at all times and certain does on a short lead a muzzled. Any dog off the lead the owner is fined and persistent offenders have their dog removed from them.

Would sort out a lot of the crap that goes on with dogs off the lad and biting people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

The law needs to be changed to remove all ambiguity. No more of this “under effective control” stuff which is wide open to interpretation. The law should say a dog out in public must be on a lead at all times and certain does on a short lead a muzzled. Any dog off the lead the owner is fined and persistent offenders have their dog removed from them.

Would sort out a lot of the crap that goes on with dogs off the lad and biting people.

The dog in the OP is already legally required to be muzzled and on a short leash. What makes you think any change in regulation would have made a difference?

I got a call from the guard who took my statement and he called to the house of the people who own the Doberman. They didn't answer and he's trying again tomorrow. He also told me to contact the dog warden too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Op, I believe u completely, as a milkman I'm well used to getting nibbled at, bar 1 that cut my knee open, by sticking his head thru a gate while I was getting paid. Not as common as it use to be, but most people keep them under. control. Any chance of pic, I'm a morbid bstard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Op, I believe u completely, as a milkman I'm well used to getting nibbled at, bar 1 that cut my knee open, by sticking his head thru a gate while I was getting paid. Not as common as it use to be, but most people keep them under. control. Any chance of pic, I'm a morbid bstard

:D:D Can't wait to see this

No I'm not sending a pic. most of it is my backside with is black and blue and a big cut just at the top of my leg and nobody needs to see that. Apart from my solicitor if I take it that far.

Could anyone tell me, what will the dog warden do now? The guard said I should contact them and the dog warden will decide an outcome.

martin101 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me, what will the dog warden do now? The guard said I should contact them and the dog warden will decide an outcome.

It might depend on the warden, but generally they will visit the owner, and if so I'd guess at a very minimum, the owner will be fined for not having the dog on a lead/muzzled. At a minimum.
    What further measures the warden may carry out relating to the bite itself is a bit up on the air, as it often depends on how sympathetic (or not) the warden is to the owners' defence. It's reasonable to assume that the warden's sympathies diminish the more damage is done. It also depends on how much you push for action to be taken. Often, if the dog hasn't done much harm, the owners might be instructed to seek behavioural assessment for the dog, with subsequent behavioural rehabilitation if necessary or apt, and they will no doubt be warned that they must take steps ensure it can't happen again.
    However, yours is a more serious case, going by your description of your injuries. I would not be surprised if the warden leans pretty hard on the owners to have the dog pts. If the owners refuse this step, the warden may seize the dog, pending a court case in which the judge will rule on the fate of the dog, during which time various evidence-gathering can be done by either side, including eg vet reports and behavioural reports, whilst the dog is "in custody'".
    I hope this helps you to understand the process. Sorry it's a bit vague in places as there are a few "it all depends" scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kenmm wrote: »
    I am not doubting you as such or victim blaming or anything, but could anything you have done gave the impression to the dog that you were initiating play etc?
    If the dog bites if it thought the OP was playing, another reason for the dog to be put down. I love dogs, but this dog seems to be have been programmed to hurt people.
    I don't care about sueing or anything like that.
    Ask the Gardai and/or dog warden about having them banned from having any animals.

the_syco wrote: »
    Ask the Gardai and/or dog warden about having them banned from having any animals.

This is a good option to go for regardless as they're clearly incapable of proper ownership of a pet.
    They don't deserve to have another dog possibly be pts due to their incompetence.

I got a call for the guard this evening. The couple made contact with the station and told them they will give a statement on Tuesday. They both said they didn't see the incident but they don't deny that it didn't happen. And if it fact it turns out that it happened they are willing to proceed with any outcome. The lady did see it happen because she told her husband that the dog bit me as I was crouched over in pain. But I suppose they want to protect the dog. I was asked to send on my injuries that I photographed too. If they didn't see the incident they are admitting that the dog was off the leash as the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 MissDisaster

While I love animals, I tend to get super annoyed when people lump all dogs listed under the Dangerous Breed act as uncontrollable and vicious. I have a fostered Jack russell that I don't like mixing with other dogs (as he's a bit of a c**t and is very grisly and barks aggressively at larger dogs.) while my neighbor has two Ridgebacks that are impeccably trained to a tee. Its all about the person training then rather than the breed. Take poor pitbulls for instance, they were originally bred as Nanny dogs to help mind and protect children. Ask anyone who has one and they'll tell you they love nothing more than cuddles and kisses with anybody who will show them affection. Due to common drug dealers and general wannabe thugs owning them as a status symbol they now have a reputation for being vicious attack dogs.

It seems the op has three main choices of paths to take here..

1. Go all out, sure the owners to hell and back and demand the dog be pts.

2. Request the medical bills be covered by the owners and the dog attend mandatory training and to be muzzled and leashed at all times.

3. Do nothing.

Now while option 2 seems like the best all round where the dog isn't pts its highly unrealistic to expect the owners to comply. They could be lovely people just worried about losing their pet. (Even if they were idiots to have it unleashed and unmuzzled in the first place.) or they could just be absolute chav's who don't give a rats arse.

If I could I'd love to get the dog taken away from them and rehomed. I'm a huge dog lover and even though I'm in a fair amount of pain and my baby or my own dog could of been on the end of that bite. I can't help but feel bad for the dog if it was to be pts. The perfect outcome would be my medical bill paid for, the dog to be rehomed to a loving owner and that couple to receive a big fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I got a call for the guard this evening. The couple made contact with the station and told them they will give a statement on Tuesday. They both said they didn't see the incident but they don't deny that it didn't happen. And if it fact it turns out that it happened they are willing to proceed with any outcome. The lady did see it happen because she told her husband that the dog bit me as I was crouched over in pain. But I suppose they want to protect the dog. I was asked to send on my injuries that I photographed too. If they didn't see the incident they are admitting that the dog was off the leash as the very least.

They’re not protecting the dog.theyre protecting their wallets.chances are that dog has since been sold on or rehomed.keep an eye on done deal for it.
    They’ll be moving that dog on fast with the old haven’t time with work excuse

I don't know if I'm being too soft but a part of me will feel bad if the dog is pts. But as my wife said what if the next person or dog doesn't get away as lightly as I did. Not that I got away too lightly as I'm off work for a week due to this. But in the grand scheme of things I did. What if the Doberman had of got to my dog or had of got to my baby who was in the buggy at the time. I'll just have to wait and see what is said at their statement on Tuesday. The guard said he will be in touch with me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

While I love animals, I tend to get super annoyed when people lump all dogs listed under the Dangerous Breed act as uncontrollable and vicious. I have a fostered Jack russell that I don't like mixing with other dogs (as he's a bit of a c**t and is very grisly and barks aggressively at larger dogs.) while my neighbor has two Ridgebacks that are impeccably trained to a tee. Its all about the person training then rather than the breed. Take poor pitbulls for instance, they were originally bred as Nanny dogs to help mind and protect children. Ask anyone who has one and they'll tell you they love nothing more than cuddles and kisses with anybody who will show them affection. Due to common drug dealers and general wannabe thugs owning them as a status symbol they now have a reputation for being vicious attack dogs.

2. Request the medical bills be covered by the owners and the dog attend mandatory training and to be muzzled and leashed at all times.

3. Do nothing.

Now while option 2 seems like the best all round where the dog isn't pts its highly unrealistic to expect the owners to comply. They could be lovely people just worried about losing their pet. (Even if they were idiots to have it unleashed and unmuzzled in the first place.) or they could just be absolute chav's who don't give a rats arse.

There is another option,
    Push for the owners to get prosecuted and leave the rest to the courts

Tazzimus wrote: »
    This is a good option to go for regardless as they're clearly incapable of proper ownership of a pet.
    They don't deserve to have another dog possibly be pts due to their incompetence.

There is no provision in the dog control legislation that gives a judge the power to prevent an owner from owning a dog again.
    There is provision for owners to be banned from keeping animals under the Animal Welfare Act, but that does not apply in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

3. Do nothing.

No dog on earth in "inherently" dangerous. Its the most ignorant ****e you could ever think of

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I don't know if I'm being too soft but a part of me will feel bad if the dog is pts. But as my wife said what if the next person or dog doesn't get away as lightly as I did. Not that I got away too lightly as I'm off work for a week due to this. But in the grand scheme of things I did. What if the Doberman had of got to my dog or had of got to my baby who was in the buggy at the time. I'll just have to wait and see what is said at their statement on Tuesday. The guard said he will be in touch with me then.

Be at peace; the gardai and dog warden will sort it? Just get well now. It is in official hands. That was a terrible shock you had and you need to heal .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Would value an update? Hoping all is well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

3. Do nothing.

It's as much about the breeds ability to do damage as their temperament. That is why Staffies are included on the list. Most are placid but if one wasn't it has a hugely powerful bite and has a latching on instinct. A Jack Russell may be aggressive but couldn't do anywhere near as much damage

Advertisement