Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2019 / 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

GFS is also showing very widespread orange warning gusts for this Sunday. I think the long fetch is increasing the power of forecast winds inland. Potentially more wide ranging and damaging than Brendan simply due to the huge windfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

gfs-0-240.png?12

At 10 days out this storm appears. All very unstable. It's going to be a weather forecast courtesy of D'Unbelievables next week.

'wind, rain, sleet, sun, snow, hail' etc. All we're missing is a forest fire and conditions conducive to the appearance of 'the black beetle'!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

indeed the latest GFS is now a major downgrade for the storm. It is now tracking much further north with the north of Scotland taking the burnt of the storm. It will still be windy but as of the latest run, we are out of the danger zone. However there is another major storm appearing for around the 14th/15th of February.

162-289UK.GIF?04-12

GFSOPEU12_168_1.png

Even with big downgrades, next week is looking very unsettled and windy generally.

Another potential storm waiting around the 14th/15th of February.

GFSOPEU12_231_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

ukgust.pngukgust.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

the Armagedon Low is gone on this run, still tasty for Monday and Tuesday for a rash of snow showers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

typhoony wrote: »
    the Armagedon Low is gone on this run, still tasty for Monday and Tuesday for a rash of snow showers.

the cold is changing all the time too, latest runs is an upgrade in terms of cold for the 10th and 11th, but a downgrade for the 12th. Lot of chopping and changing to come in terms of cold/snow potential and indeed the wind potential. Tonights pub run will be interesting, will the storm be back in business or will it continue to push further northwards, this would put Ireland back in a milder situation generally. So much to play for over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭pad199207

Extremely fascinating model watching. A far cry from this winter so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Sunday is looking the most windy going forward gusts of 120kph kerry cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    the cold is changing all the time too, latest runs is an upgrade in terms of cold for the 10th and 11th, but a downgrade for the 12th. Lot of chopping and changing to come in terms of cold/snow potential and indeed the wind potential. Tonights pub run will be interesting, will the storm be back in business or will it continue to push further northwards, this would put Ireland back in a milder situation generally. So much to play for over the next few days.

The pub run tonight will probably bring the storm back, seems to always be overdramatic but rarely comes to fruition.

It would be nice to get a couple of days of widespread snow showers but a lot can change between now and next Monday as we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The jma has the storm as does the ukmo and gem along with the icon. Strong support for the storm on Tuesday outside of the gfs
    Let's see what ecm comes out with!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

sryanbruen wrote: »
    We know what the GFS is like with these sorts of things but jeez, that is a proper chilly polar maritime northwesterly. Coldest I've seen in a while with thickness sub 518 dam and 850hPa temps going as low as -6 to -9C.

Definitely more threats for a wider risk of wintry outbreaks across the country with this compared to the late January northwesterly. I'd expect a tone down in the cold after this run.

ytbdKlM.png
    Those kind of thicknesses would suggest very little north Atlantic modification and would mean A Lot of heavy snow showers especially out west
    Digging out the car snow, a rare happening from that direction but it has happened before
    The air from cloud to ground would be cold enough for to maintain the snow
    Normally I'd be looking for - 10 uppers but not needed
    The lapse rate plus low pressure and 516 dam growing the snow showers
    Interesting stuff

ECM has it. Downgrade though. Esp in the south.

Edit. Still rough in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Those kind of thicknesses would suggest very little north Atlantic modification and would mean A Lot of heavy snow showers especially out west
    Digging out the car snow, a rare happening from that direction but it has happened before
    The air from cloud to ground would be cold enough for to maintain the snow
    Normally I'd be looking for - 10 uppers but not needed
    The lapse rate plus low pressure and 516 dam growing the snow showers
    Interesting stuff

Yes, January 1984-esque conditions like from 15th Jan 1984 below.

gFqGfTE.gif

Report on snowfalls from this NW'ly:

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/1218/1017873-snow-covers-ireland/

ECM 0z had 850hPa temps as low as -7C early on Tuesday 11th and subzero dew points too for most inland areas. EDIT: Down to -6C 850hPa and dew points still generally subzero later on Monday but brief, on 12z.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Those charts would also suggest thunder, and lots of it, for the NW of Ireland.

giphy.gif

New Moon

The uppers on the ecm and ukmo for Monday are nothing special!! The gfs is starting to look a bit lonely forecasting so much snow on Monday. Either way it looks like a 24hour event.
    As for the storm.......nobody knows certainly not the models but the trend this evening is to downgrade it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ECM snow charts suggesting nothing out of the ordinary also. Some hill snow, maybe the odd flurry at lower levels if showers are heavy enough.

lpWvjlX.png

No surprise really that real storm potential is being downgraded run on run as these millennial winters are just incapable of producing them.

New Moon

christ,i love a good downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Ah damn it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

It’s far from over yet. Could well upgrade, then downgrade then upgrade..

esposito wrote: »
    It’s far from over yet. Could well upgrade, then downgrade then upgrade..

A lot of 'weather' coming from Sunday on. A few storms showing up in FI so anything is possible.

• Advertisement

snow does look rather restricted to mostly high ground in Ulster, parts of the west and the Wicklow Mountains. Looks very good for Scotland but most of that is high ground as well. For now I wouldn't be expecting much more than what happened the other week, as the cold and snow potential will probably downgrade more over the next week, as it usually does.

156-780UK.GIF?04-12

Downgrade is the word of the day,but we rarely get snow in Ireland ,the seas are too warm,and there's
    too much salt in the air,and its usually the watery variety,the storms are downgrading too and moving north,
    so we've dodged a bullet there too,and i for one am thankful,i don't need any more telephone poles coming
    down or roofs coming off sheds,we should be turning our attention to spring warmth although it will probably
    turn out to be a cool spring when the polar vortex loosens its grip but by then the days will have lenghtened
    considerably

and the sun will be strong so there wouldn't be much chance of cold snowy weather, hopefully that cool spring
    doesn't ruin the begining of our summer.last summer was awful,we just cant get the snows or the storms like we
    did in the past and will just have to accept it, i for see more downgrades later regarding the snow potential as
    we progress through the week,there's very little chance of accumulating snow in the west at low level and
    even less so in the East.You just cant win but then again id prefer to able to get out and about.
    That violent storm for next Tuesday has vanished too so that should start to downgrade now on further runs. thank god.

I hope i haven't depressed people too much with my gloomy glass half full outlook haha.

Hopefully we get an epic snow blizzard sometime in the next 50 years but i wouldn't hold my breath knowing my luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

downgrade is the word of the day

Dont know about that squarecircles, Sunday storm looks consistent and a possible fast moving depression on Saturday showing up now ( in range so in the +120 technical thread ).

Weds looking very severe still, granted it is a long way off and the models are showing different tracks and strengths but the overall picture I think is still showing strong possibility for a storm. And maybe another one after that.

Mw5tagB.png

KF6psTw.png

eBaodwa.png

k7jjGC1.png

ICON

suTWx6t.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big difference yet between the ECM and GFS for Fri week.

CppBxRE.png

OSQThMk.png

Everything upgraded again on the gfs 18z!!
    Storm very much back on, severe with snowfall likely both before and after....
    It's getting closer folks!

its drifted south on the 18z

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Look at that 928-hPa low between Greenland and Iceland on Saturday!

ukmo_nat_fax_2020020412_096.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Everything upgraded again on the gfs 18z!!
    Storm very much back on, severe with snowfall likely both before and after....
    It's getting closer folks!

lol this is like a rocky fight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Love rocky 4 when he arrives in Russia and the soundtracks really well done.
    The scenery is amazing too, and the tension added to the atmosphere is surreal.

We could be in for a right pasting.
    Thankfully my contract gives me snow days or bad weather days when there's an orange or red warning.

Im not going to be driving to East Clare from North Clare over 4 inches of snow and climb trees with a chainsaw hanging off me 😂

• Advertisement

since this afternoons run, it has shifted from nothern Scotland, back south, but further south than yesterdays runs. Severe winds over the bulk of the country but perhaps not as bad as what was shown yesterday but it would still be close to red alert territory with winds up to 130km/h in places, especially along the south coast. Southern England looks to be in real trouble if this was to verify.

174-289UK.GIF?04-18

An upgrade for snow too, particularly after the storm.

198-780UK.GIF?04-18

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement