Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coeliac food recommendations

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

tossy wrote: »
    While i'm here i see Mccambridge are doing new gluten free coconut filled biscuits, bought a pack in Tesco the other day - don't buy them they're delicious :D

are we talkin like coconut rings?

i have an image of mikado in my brain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

bluewolf wrote: »
    are we talkin like coconut rings?

i have an image of mikado in my brain

Not like Mikado no, just a big biscuit filled with coconut, choice of plain or chocolate. I was in there today and i noticed they had many more choices but i was good and didn't even look :D

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

For the lady interested in food options near the Olympia, I would recommend the branch of Beshoffs near theatre and on Dame Street for fish and chips.

I have found a GF Christmas pud in Aldi. This week Tesco have GF mince pies on 'offer' at 4 for 2 euro. The chocolate GF profiteroles in the freezer section look good, only a few left on shelf today so must be popular?

Garlinge wrote: »
    The chocolate GF profiteroles in the freezer section look good, only a few left on shelf today so must be popular?

Freezer section in Aldi or Tesco?

Sorry my mistake.... it is the Aldi freezer section with other frozen desserts.

• Advertisement

Sorry my mistake.... it is the Aldi freezer section with other frozen desserts.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

For the lady interested in food options near the Olympia, I would recommend the branch of Beshoffs near theatre and on Dame Street for fish and chips.

I have found a GF Christmas pud in Aldi. This week Tesco have GF mince pies on 'offer' at 4 for 2 euro. The chocolate GF profiteroles in the freezer section look good, only a few left on shelf today so must be popular?

Is that 4 packets of gf mince pies for 2 euro or just one packet for 2 euro? I would say its the latter as if it is the former that would be giving them away as a packet is €2.50 normally.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

AMKC wrote: »
    Is that 4 packets of gf mince pies for 2 euro or just one packet for 2 euro? I would say its the latter as if it is the former that would be giving them away as a packet is €2.50 normally.

Definitely 4 in a box for 2 euro.
    Some price difference as well.. Last year I noticed you could get a box of 6 tesco mince pies for 89c, whereas it was 2.50 for a tesco box of 4 gluten free :(

Ms

Definitely 4 in a box for 2 euro.
    Some price difference as well.. Last year I noticed you could get a box of 6 tesco mince pies for 89c, whereas it was 2.50 for a tesco box of 4 gluten free :(

MY local Tesco must not have that deal then as its still €2.50 for Tesco GF mince pies in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

AMKC wrote:
    MY local Tesco must not have that deal then as its still €2.50 for Tesco GF mince pies in it.

I seen Lidl had a 4 pack of them up at the tills with all the other Christmas stuff for 2 euro today, no idea what they're like though

• Advertisement
    Ms

I seen Lidl had a 4 pack of them up at the tills with all the other Christmas stuff for 2 euro today, no idea what they're like though

Lidl had two types last year I think. Some for 2 euro and some for 2.99 and the 2 euro ones were the nicer ones.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Tesco have there gf mince pies on offer now at €1:25 for a box of 4 pies :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I have been getting Green Isle oven chips now for years as no wheat coating unlike most other brands. Now they seem to have the dreaded coating :mad:. Only non GF chip I could find was 'skin on' McCains but pricey for small bag. Any other suggestions? and no I wont be making my own!!

Ms

I have been getting Green Isle oven chips now for years as no wheat coating unlike most other brands. Now they seem to have the dreaded coating :mad:. Only non GF chip I could find was 'skin on' McCains but pricey for small bag. Any other suggestions? and no I wont be making my own!!

Dunnes do there own GF chips and they are only 95cent also McCain microwave chips are gf. There is gf wedges also by Green Isle.
    I am surprised you were still able to get the Green Isle chips gf as they have not been gf in my local shops for a while.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I just noticed that Lidl have "Just Roll" pastry that is GF. I am not sure if it is a 'special' or a regular item. It is featured in pamphlet this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I just noticed that Lidl have "Just Roll" pastry that is GF. I am not sure if it is a 'special' or a regular item. It is featured in pamphlet this week.

Cheers op!
    Jus roll have been doing this for a good while, but I've only ever seen it in a shop (and bought it) once.
    I hate making trying to make gf pastry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Lidl frozen chips are gluten free. They aren't specifically marketted as such but they are coated with rice flour rather than wheat.

Yes I also always hated making pastry. But did so enjoy a GF apple pie that Aldi did some years ago, sadly disappeared now as have the GF profiteroles. And pigged out on the GF mince pies as reduced over christmas.

Came across an ingredient the other day "gluten free wheat fibre" - i was unsure whether to trust it or not. Anyone come across this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lisamullins83

If you're looking for healthy food on the go in Cork, there's a vegan company in Cork in The Old English Market that are fantastic for Gluten free also. So tasty...

• Advertisement
    Ms

Lidl frozen chips are gluten free. They aren't specifically marketted as such but they are coated with rice flour rather than wheat.

If it does not say gluten free or free from gluten on the packet then I would not trust it. Just because they are coated with rice flour does not mean they could not get contaminated during the production process maybe from a line beside it doing chips with wheat in them.

Dunnes stores sell chips that are gluten free and are only 95cent. Much safer.

Tesco have gluten free Hot Cross buns availible in some Tesco stores now.

I do love Hot Cross buns. Wish they were made all year round.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    If it does not say gluten free or free from gluten on the packet then I would not trust it. Just because they are coated with rice flour does not mean they could not get contaminated during the production process maybe from a line beside it doing chips with wheat in them.

Dunnes stores sell chips that are gluten free and are only 95cent. Much safer.

Tesco have gluten free Hot Cross buns availible in some Tesco stores now.

I do love Hot Cross buns. Wish they were made all year round.

Would it not have to say "may contain traces of" in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Would it not have to say "may contain traces of" in that case?
    No. It's not a legal requirement to state that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Higos Secos ( dried figs ) sometimes available in branches of Polo Stores

503303.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

The only nice tasting gluten free bread I’ve tasted so far is mccambridges bread in Galway. It is like a soda bread. Can anyone recommend a nice gluten free loaf for sandwiches?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

The only nice tasting gluten free bread I’ve tasted so far is mccambridges bread in Galway. It is like a soda bread. Can anyone recommend a nice gluten free loaf for sandwiches?

tamara25 wrote: »

Best one i've tasted for sandwiches is M&S either the brown or white loafs - small but tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

tamara25 wrote: »

The Promise range is quite good (Brioche particularly) as is the M&S range as another poster mentioned.

Best one I've found, by far, is the baked in store (in its packaging) Promise Rustic Sourdough with sundried tomato and black olive. Can be hard to find, but when you see it, buy it. It's so worth it.

Aldi do two types of brown sliced pan and the 'superseeded' is my favourite at the moment.... also a much better price than M&S!

• Advertisement

Came across an ingredient the other day "gluten free wheat fibre" - i was unsure whether to trust it or not. Anyone come across this before?

Plenty of GF food with dumb assed things like ‘modified wheat starch’ as an ingredient. Not completely GF at all! The other half was warned off anything like that as she’s reacted badly to it - coeliac and a really clean diet means just a tiny contamination and she has all the rotten after effects and lethargy. She couldn’t figure out what was going on until we carefully picked through the ingredients on a pack of supposedly gluten free Semper flour and there it was. She had no idea and I was just buying a reputable brand for GF labelled foodstuffs. Madness. On that basis I wouldn’t trust anything that has anything at all to do with wheat, no matter how modified or what the process.

Advertisement