Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coeliac food recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

mario84s wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions regarding good gluten free craft beers out there?

Arcadia by wicklow wolf is the best i've tried so far, fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

As mentioned above, the Arcadia is lovely. I've also found the Against the Grain ones nice, and the first range of 9 White Deer. There's a stout, pale ale, IPA, and Kolsch lager in the latter and Super Value tend to stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

There's a stout, pale ale, IPA, and Kolsch lager in the latter and Super Value tend to stock it.

Thanks for the info... will check it out!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Pretty much as others have said, plus, you'll find 9 White Deer's Stag Stout on Draught in The Cobblestone in Dublin. It's excellent stuff altogether. If you're in the Cork area, it's readily available on draught all over the place. Check out their website/Facebook.

Brú Lager is okay, and it's on Draught in various places in Dublin. You'll get it in bottles too.

Pretty much as others have said, plus, you'll find 9 White Deer's Stag Stout on Draught in The Cobblestone in Dublin. It's excellent stuff altogether. If you're in the Cork area, it's readily available on draught all over the place. Check out their website/Facebook.

Brú Lager is okay, and it's on Draught in various places in Dublin. You'll get it in bottles too.

Didn't know about the draught in the Stag Saor stout, must look out for it.

I've found most of them good apart from Blacks 1601. It was really disappointing, fairly rank taste.

• Advertisement

Didn't know about the draught in the Stag Saor stout, must look out for it.

If you were a Guinness drinker at any point, you definitely should.
    It's nitro, so quite similar. A little lighter in flavour perhaps. Slightly less bitter.

I probably only had about 8 pints of Guiness a year but it's one of the things i miss the most, will definitely check it out next time i'm in town.

If you were a Guinness drinker at any point, you definitely should.
    It's nitro, so quite similar. A little lighter in flavour perhaps. Slightly less bitter.

I love the bottles of it but it's hard to beat a pint. Guinness would be the thing I miss most too.

Also, I got some Word Top Scarborough Fair at the weekend and I'd recommend it too. Couldn't think of the name earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Promise gluten free soft loaf is lovely.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I found the cob a bit dry. I prefer the M and S one or I adore the Sweet potato loaf from BeFree
    Has anyone tasted the quinoa crust turkey goujons from Aldi, they are so delicious- far and away the best goujons I have ever tasted.
    The most "realistic" soda bread is the McCambridges one- even non-coeliacs didnt realise it was gf

I also agree about the Aldi cob bread and my Mum is the same. Thought it was very dry but am happy that there is people that like it and that it is doing well.

Have not tried them goujons must look for them.

I agree about the sweet potato breed from Bfree it is just divine and lovely and soft too.

I can't have the McCambridges one so will never know what its like.

There is another lovely bread and its by Promise. Its lovely called Promise soft bread.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jennyf2019

New to the page! My daughter is coeliac and so good to see all this info on what's available in different shops and restaurants especially when away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Hi Guys I am going to an event in the Olympia with my Mam who has been recently diagnosed as Coeliac
    We arent from Dublin so dont have a clue what is around :D
    Would anyone have any recommendations for somewhere close by to eat please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Hi Guys I am going to an event in the Olympia with my Mam who has been recently diagnosed as Coeliac

Depends what you are looking for really. Somebody else might recommend some fancier options

Sano pizza is just around the corner. Reasonably priced, nice pizza and they do GF.
    And there's vouchers on Groupon/pigsback at the moment

Milano for other Italian or Bunsen of you want a burger.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Depends what you are looking for really. Somebody else might recommend some fancier options

Sano pizza is just around the corner. Reasonably priced, nice pizza and they do GF.
    And there's vouchers on Groupon/pigsback at the moment

Milano for other Italian or Bunsen of you want a burger.

I should have said not overly fancy I'll check out Sano thanks for the recommendations!

I should have said not overly fancy I'll check out Sano thanks for the recommendations!

Sano is great, really good pizza - i would ring in advance just to make sure they have GF bases left.

Bunsen burger in temple bar do really good burgers with gluten free buns also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Haven't read through the whole thread so sorry if already mentioned but Spice O'Life do some very nice curry & bolognese sauses among others, I get it in one of my local butchers in limerick, Cork company, don't know if available in supermarkets

While i'm here i see Mccambridge are doing new gluten free coconut filled biscuits, bought a pack in Tesco the other day - don't buy them they're delicious :D

Beshoff Bros next door to the Olympia have a separate GF menu, and use different prep areas and fryers etc, and it's really good. That one has a wine and beer licence also and a bit snazzier (relatively speaking) than the other branches. That's where I'd go if I was heading to the Olympia!

Across the road and a few doors closer to Trinity, is the Mill Stone restuarant, who also have a separate GF menu.

Brasserie 66 on George's Street also very close and loads and loads of GF options.

Dublin is awash with places to eat GF really, it really depends what kind of cuisine you're looking for.

Beshoff Bros next door to the Olympia have a separate GF menu, and use different prep areas and fryers etc.

I wasn't aware of that, haven't had a bag of chips in a long long time, would love one :D

tossy wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of that, haven't had a bag of chips in a long long time, would love one :D

All of their branches except Howth have the GF menu.
    Also Beshoffs (different company) on O'Connell Street have a separate GF Menu / fryers.
    Fill your boots :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The Borza chippers in Kimmage and Tallaght do GF chips. Always best to check with them anyway though. They have a list of foods in the branch and the only thing I found on it GF is chips, nice now and again to be free to eat chippies.

Thanks for the recommendations all I appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Beshoff Bros next door to the Olympia have a separate GF menu, and use different prep areas and fryers etc, and it's really good. That one has a wine and beer licence also and a bit snazzier (relatively speaking) than the other branches. That's where I'd go if I was heading to the Olympia!

Across the road and a few doors closer to Trinity, is the Mill Stone restuarant, who also have a separate GF menu.

Brasserie 66 on George's Street also very close and loads and loads of GF options.

Dublin is awash with places to eat GF really, it really depends what kind of cuisine you're looking for.

Agree lots of restaurant choices but of late finding it so hard to pick up stuff for lunch break. All these so called healthy eating places, and none do gf bread. It's like they can't be bothered. I was in baggot street last week and Walked in and out of the likes of donnybrook fair with no joy.

I would travel many miles to get Marks & Spencer's gluten free bread buns. They are lovely and soft. I toast them and either make sambos with them, or just jam or marmalade, or best of all a home made gluten free burger with all the trimmings! Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

If anyone is around Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow, there is a little café on the main street called The Birdcage. They do homemade gf cakes, gf soup, and have gf bread available. The owner is very clued into the gf diet.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I would travel many miles to get Marks & Spencer's gluten free bread buns. They are lovely and soft. I toast them and either make sambos with them, or just jam or marmalade, or best of all a home made gluten free burger with all the trimmings! Yum!

Love M&S gluten free bread both Brown and white but found their buns a bit meh which was disappointing. The best GF bun i've tried are the Genius Gluten Free Brioche ones in Tesco.

Love M&S gluten free bread both Brown and white but found their buns a bit meh which was disappointing. The best GF bun i've tried are the Genius Gluten Free Brioche ones in Tesco.

:eek: Shocked you don't like the buns! I'm hoping you bought different ones to me. I may try the Genius ones from Tesco now. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I second Beshoffs ... and very close to Olympia on Dame Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,044 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Aldi have mince pies and Lidl have gf Pancetta which is easily as nice as the wheat version, gorgeous, some going in the freezer! Now could we have gf stollen please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Ah yes Stollen = first thing I bought in Lidl or was it Aldi when first came to Dublin ... before GF became an issue:(

Advertisement