Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac food recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Here have any celiacs tried this SuperValu branded custard ? If so was it ok ?

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-custard-pots-supervalu-ready-to-serve-500-grams-/p-1002566001

Any response appreciated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I just found out aldi's Pringles are gluten free. Well the s&v ones are. God help us all.

(they're v nice)

Ps I did go to m&s and try out some of their stuff after this thread. The chicken pie and sausage rolls are lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

whiz wrote: »
    Here have any celiacs tried this SuperValu branded custard ? If so was it ok ?

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-custard-pots-supervalu-ready-to-serve-500-grams-/p-1002566001

Any response appreciated

Update post with correct link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I have just bought a breadmaker (Panasonic SD-2500), and was wondering if anybody here would have a tried and tested GF breadmaker friendly, bread recipe or recipes?

Ideally, I want to be able to make a reliable loaf, rolls and pizza dough; and would plan to use the Aldi GF plain or self-raising flour with Doves yeast as base ingredients.

So far I used a Juvela bread mix, which was successful enough, but expensive.
    And I tried a recipe I found online, which was a bit of a disaster, mostly because I tried to time the mix overnight. Lots of un-mixed flour, and just generally a failure. Will re-try without timing, but still not sure it will be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've never had any success with my Breadmaker so I'd appreciate any GF recipes that have worked in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

Never tried a breadmaker, I just swear by the simple recipe of porridge bread in a bread tin and that does the job. Be interested to hear how you get on experimenting with your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭cobham

I made a lot of Juvela bread mix in my Panasonic breadmaker. I would add a lot of extras such as seeds, nuts and fruit. Then I sliced when cooked and froze the individual slices ready for quick resus in a toaster.

I find quality of bread has vastly improved in recent years so no longer use the breadmaker. Aldo had a very good one (Zilch?) and now my favourite is by McCambridges. I find these ones are decent enough even when not toasted. I think McCambridges sell a breadmix as well online.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Chocolate

Hi.

I see that this isn’t a very busy thread - I didn’t know it existed until today.
    Just letting you know that there is a Facebook page called “Coeliac Parents Ireland” which has much more frequent traffic.
    People regularly post about new products and places to eat. Just in case anyone is interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So what's your favorite gf bread. I have to say I love the M & S bread. It's so much nicer than all the others. Really don't know how it has never won any awards. I see that Aldi ones have recently won awards and they are nothing special just same as what's in Lidi and the cheap one in Tesco. I got some of the M&S bread half price today so was delighted.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I agree that M & S bread is lovely but the last time I bought it (a bloomer)I was perplexed at the rise in price to the point that I complained to one of the staff that it had gone up so much but they said they had no control as everything is priced in the UK. Really miffed I missed the half price offer!

• Advertisement
    Ms

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I agree that M & S bread is lovely but the last time I bought it (a bloomer)I was perplexed at the rise in price to the point that I complained to one of the staff that it had gone up so much but they said they had no control as everything is priced in the UK. Really miffed I missed the half price offer!

@Jellybaby1 If you are not obsessed with BBF dates just look out for the BBF date the bread has on it and go to your local M & S on that day and hope to get lucky. They reduce them by 50 per cent on the day of the BBF on the bread and it's still perfectly good and better value then too. That's what I try to do mostly I hope to get lucky as its not local to me so some guesswork involved. Not always successful but I was the last day so bought plenty of them. They reduce frozen stuff too on that day but I can't buy them chicken nuggets etc as it would be unfrozen by the time I got home:(

I think it is this stupid Brexit decision by the British that has raised prices on everything from Britain unfortunately.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭cobham

I liked the long brown rolls in Aldi until they brought out new Zilch mini sliced pan. Certainly very reasonable prices. Present favourite is McCambridges soda bread that I can find in Supervalu and Centra (I think).

I agree that there is no decent forum to talk of GF issues. There used to be good forum with different topics on the Coeliac.ie Society site but only for members now? It was good in that topics were segregated and not just for food and eating out.

I miss a great apple pie that Aldi used to do.... was it made by Athenry? And their Don Carlos brand GF pizza is gone also. Replacement one not so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

AMKC wrote: »
    So what's your favorite gf bread. I have to say I love the M & S bread. It's so much nicer than all the others. Really don't know how it has never won any awards. I see that Aldi ones have recently won awards and they are nothing special just same as what's in Lidi and the cheap one in Tesco. I got some of the M&S bread half price today so was delighted.

Is the M&S bread brown or white ?

Recently been diagnosed a celiac and i'm in that trial and error stage of trying to find nice replacements, struggling with finding a nice bread for making sandwiches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tesco fruit loaf is one of my favourites, comes in a plum coloured and clear covering. 'pure bred' brand
    kelkin is nice enough too, it's the one i always use.
    M&S definitely the best.
    can't stand the lidl one, has a weird taste to me.

Ms

tossy wrote: »
    Is the M&S bread brown or white ?

Recently been diagnosed a celiac and i'm in that trial and error stage of trying to find nice replacements, struggling with finding a nice bread for making sandwiches.

They have brown bread and white bread as well as lots of other nice stuff.
    You can't go wrong with M&S bread. It is more expensive than all the others do. Dunnes and Tesco do have a good range of GF breads from the different GF brands and Tesco would have some of there own which can be nice toasted. There rolls are also quite nice and not expensive.
    Dr Scheur do nice bread as well and there is Brennans GF bread too which is also very nice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Thanks for the replies, looks like i've a lot of bread to try over the next week or so :) I've already tried the lidl one (Connell bakery brand) and i wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Thanks for the replies, looks like i've a lot of bread to try over the next week or so :) I've already tried the lidl one (Connell bakery brand) and i wasn't impressed.

The Purebred Multiseed (not chia seed) loaf, I find nice for sandwiches. Soft, and doesn't break as easily as say Lidl, Aldi, or Goodness Grains (the latter being the king of breakage and crumbly). That said, it's quite small.

It was usually either be that or Brennans for me. I don't get to M&S much, but when I do, I treat myself to their 'Sliced White Boule' bread, which IMO, is one of the best by far.

The Purebred Multiseed (not chia seed) loaf, I find nice for sandwiches. Soft, and doesn't break as easily as say Lidl, Aldi, or Goodness Grains (the latter being the king of breakage and crumbly). That said, it's quite small.

It was usually either be that or Brennans for me. I don't get to M&S much, but when I do, I treat myself to their 'Sliced White Boule' bread, which IMO, is one of the best by far.

I'm off white bread since last summer and was flying, i don't feel as bad going back to it if it's gluten free :D

tried too more today from Tesco one was as bad as lidl and one (pitta style bread) was actually nice.

I'm off white bread since last summer and was flying, i don't feel as bad going back to it if it's gluten free :D

tried too more today from Tesco one was as bad as lidl and one (pitta style bread) was actually nice.

Yeah you'll find out pretty quickly which ones you'll never buy again..
    There's a lot of awful crap out there passing itself off as 'bread'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

I like the BFree Brown, the white not so much, the Aldi one seems to have improved lately.
    The best I ever tasted was a loaf I got in Supervalu in Monksland, Athlone from a company called Honest, I think they are based in Roscommon, they also do excellent almond and apple pies.
    The same place does Hanna's Secret Brown Bread and tipsy muffins, I think they are based in Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

The Aldi white bread is ok. if toasted.

Sandwiches are disaster though. I've was diagnosed a coeliac 6 years ago and I've yet to get (or make) a decent gluten free sandwich since :(

patmac wrote: »
    I like the BFree Brown, the white not so much, the Aldi one seems to have improved lately.
    The best I ever tasted was a loaf I got in Supervalu in Monksland, Athlone from a company called Honest, I think they are based in Roscommon, they also do excellent almond and apple pies.
    The same place does Hanna's Secret Brown Bread and tipsy muffins, I think they are based in Mullingar.

I love hanna's secret brown bread!! The fruit one is so nice

Ms

JaCrispy wrote: »
    The Aldi white bread is ok. if toasted.

Sandwiches are disaster though. I've was diagnosed a coeliac 6 years ago and I've yet to get (or make) a decent gluten free sandwich since :(

Try Brennans bread, DR Schuer or M$S bread and you will be able to make a sandwich that does not fall apart. The cheap breads can be hit and miss. Sometimes they are ok other times they just fall apart.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I haven't seen Brennan's GF bread - where is it available? Sorry if I missed this on the thread.

I haven't seen Brennan's GF bread - where is it available? Sorry if I missed this on the thread.

Ditto had a look yesterday in tesco and couldn't see it.

I've tried a few more since, the white bread in M&S is delicious, tried their baps also (not for me), M&S Naan bread is also very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Ditto had a look yesterday in tesco and couldn't see it.

I've tried a few more since, the white bread in M&S is delicious, tried their baps also (not for me), M&S Naan bread is also very nice.

I've seen it in the Tesco's in Artane SC - haven't tried it yet though!

Dunnes often have it. Remembe to look in the non-gf bread section as well, as not everything will be in the dreaded 'Free-From' isle :)

Depends on the store a lot of the time.

Ms

Tesco and Dunnes but maybe not all there stores stock it. It's not like the regular square bread. it is the same shape as the M&S bloomers bread.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I saw the brennans in a supervalu once alongside the normal bread, only time I've seen it.

I got "nutribrex" from avoca there, basically like weetabix. Had a bowl this morning and it was nice. Comes in bright pink packaging

• Advertisement

I was in Supervalu today and couldn't find it. I just Googled and found it on Tesco.ie website, €2.85 for 275g, I'll get to Tesco in the next couple of days.

Advertisement