Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a thread about the 2020 Six Nations, formerly the Five Nations

Options

Comments

I wrote a reply but I actually couldn't be arsed getting into it again. The bottom line is I disagree. I can admire playing smart to win. Shame it didn't last forever. I prefer to be positive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

FFS lads it's bloody marvellous. Best sporting competition bar non. I've been watching 5/6 nations since the 1960's and I still really enjoy it.

This is the most excited I've been for a six nations in years. Loads of variables, plenty of drama. World Cup is done, it was ****e, Joe got almost everything right bar his last 12 months in the job but he's left a legacy we get to see some of today.

Expectations can be whatever we want them to be, we're going to start to see something different for good or bad.

I can't wait. Getting the fire going now in a bit, have nice food in and a couple of cold ones in the fridge.

****in Sixmas folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

awec wrote: »

I would say for sure my interest this year is lower than it's ever been. Don't know what it is. World Cup hangover? Becoming used to the successes of recent years? Who knows. I find myself caring little for what team is selected, though that's also probably because Scotland are so rubbish that even Ulster would give them a good seeing to. Actually thought about giving tomorrow a miss.

I hear you , I really would not care too much whether we win the 6 Nations , after our WC failure - really only 3 competive matches that we play each year, over-priced tickets , whether its just the WC hangover, but I see even a grand slam as having become devalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

OldRio wrote: »
    FFS lads it's bloody marvellous. Best sporting competition bar non. I've been watching 5/6 nations since the 1960's and I still really enjoy it.

We seem to be victims of our own success. One bad season and everyone’s disillusioned. We’ve gone through entire decades worse than last season and still managed to be enthusiastic.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    Best sporting competition bar non. I've been watching 5/6 nations since the 1960's and I still really enjoy it.

Better than a World cup ?? never mind the soccer WC , come on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mad to think that today is Conway's first Six Nations start. Long overdue to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

thebaz wrote: »

Timing is everything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bring back RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

My first experience of a 6 Nations weekend in Ireland was 12 years ago and I've loved ever since. I kept an eye on the tournament back in NZ, mainly through highlight shows on a Sunday. Would have watched the odd game live when I got home from the pub but I (like many Kiwis) viewed it as a second division competition. Sorry.

Since I've lived here I have looked forward to 6 Nations weekends. The buzz and atmosphere around town is fantastic. So much better than anything back home. Only Bledisloe Cup matches could compare but it's been nearly 20 years since those were interesting.

It helps that the wife loves the 6 Nations. And so do her friends so game day is always a great day out. Really looking forward to this year's competition because of all the changes and new faces.

Buer wrote: »
    You're getting older and have a family now. Priorities change.

Shut up Buer. ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Would easily be my favourite sporting event considering its on every year. RWC is obviously more exciting but I get more out four years of Six Nations. I could honestly take or leave the football. I tried to like for a decade or so.

Would easily be my favourite sporting event considering its on every year. RWC is obviously more exciting but I get more out four years of Six Nations. I could honestly take or leave the football. I tried to like for a decade or so.

I get it people enjoy it , but to call it the greatest sporting event is nonsense, it is not even the greatest rugby competion. this years as most years ther are 4 competive teams - to win a Ruby WC cup you got overcome 7 or 8 cometive teams, if Ireland for instance had won a WC it would have been massive, win the 6 Nations or even a grand slam and the celebration will be more muted than usual given what happened on the bigger stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I love the 6 nations. Hyped for it now

I get it people enjoy it , but to call it the greatest sporting event is nonsense, it is not even the greatest rugby competion. this years as most years ther are 4 competive teams - to win a Ruby WC cup you got overcome 7 or 8 cometive teams, if Ireland for instance had won a WC it would have been massive, win the 6 Nations or even a grand slam and the celebration will be more muted than usual given what happened on the bigger stage.

No you don’t, South Africa played three competitive teams and lost to one of them.

stephen_n wrote: »
    No you don’t, South Africa played three competitive teams and lost to one of them.

South Africa had to play 3 knockout games to win , and NZ in group - besides, winning a WC is a much bigger deal than winning 6 Nations, these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Michael Cheika is on BBC One for the first game in Cardiff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Greatest is not defined really.

I prefer the 6N to the World Cup. It's not even particularly close.

South Africa had to play 3 knockout games to win , and NZ in group - besides, winning a WC is a much bigger deal than winning 6 Nations, these days.

Yes and one of those knockout games was against Japan. Who performed really well in the RWC and beat us. They are still very much a tier 2 side though. South Africa beat Wales and England and lost to New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well it's only my opinion.

And I'm right so Na na na na na��

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, the 6Ns is way better than the RWC. The RWC has so few truly competitive games. The big draw is watching teams you rarely get to see. But the 6Ns, Italy aside, is ultra competitive. Has the rivalries unlike the RWC. It's close to home so theres always a good deal of travelling fans and you get to meet up with the same opposition fans for it year after year. I wasnt pumped for it until today. Now I am. Listening to the Italian anthem as I type this humming along to it. Love the whole bloody thing tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm excited for this 6nations. After the rwc, it's a rebirth.
    New coaching ticket, new players and the opportunity to raise ourselves out of the rubble of last year's campaign.
    I was wary for the rwc. I felt we were going to be hosed and we were. The writing was on the wall last year, beginning in the 6nations. This year is a new era. Farrell is on the hot seat now and he will hopefully turn us around.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Part of the problem with the RWC is it's just really hard to get excited about it when the time difference is vast. Even a lot of the midweek games in the 2015 were at awkward times when people were in work etc and there's a lot of dead rubbers.

Takes a lot of the excitement out of it compared to the 6N when you know you have the weekend afternoons spread out over a month set out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's lovely from Biggar.

I ran a few simulations and came the conclusion that Ireland will win and it will be exactly 10-0.

Sexton still hasn't figured out how to kick at goal hence there was no conversions or penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Starting to feel that six nations excitement now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not even a match thread with some proper build up? Shocking carry on.

Kiith wrote: »
    Not even a match thread with some proper build up? Shocking carry on.

Off you go

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Michael Cheika is on BBC One for the first game in Cardiff.

I thought he was excellent, very fair and balanaced, which is needed on a) the BBC and b) alongside Jonathan Davies (he was alonside both today). Called out one of the Italians and praised him for going the full 80 as he's listed under Benetton but plays in the Italian semi pro league.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I just want to point out that four pints in Lansdowne Road tonight cost me €29.

Twenty nine euro.

Everyone involved in this is a disgrace and I hope their next ****e is a hedgehog.

Advertisement