Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a thread about the 2020 Six Nations, formerly the Five Nations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

bobbyss wrote: »
    No 10s get a lot of TV time. What with all those penalty kicks and conversions you are on the big screen a lot. Remember that Wales player who seemed to nod his head a lot and lots of hand to face movements. Can't remember his name. He's still playing. Parks? Has Johnny just gone and got himself one of those awful haircuts or did I see an old photo of him? Like in the days when football players got the FA haircut before the FA Cup.

I don't know a lot about rugby but I feel Johnny's time is up really. How long do we have to wait against Scotland until he hobbles off? Out for three weeks or so? That would be end of his international career I feel.

As a matter of interest I wonder what his success rate as a kicker is in the 6 Nations compared to Johnny Wilkinson and O'Gara.

Dan Parks was Scottish, you're probably thinking of Dan Biggar.

I wouldn't be so quick to write Johnny off yet, tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

bobbyss wrote: »
    No 10s get a lot of TV time. What with all those penalty kicks and conversions you are on the big screen a lot. Remember that Wales player who seemed to nod his head a lot and lots of hand to face movements. Can't remember his name. He's still playing. Parks? Has Johnny just gone and got himself one of those awful haircuts or did I see an old photo of him? Like in the days when football players got the FA haircut before the FA Cup.

I don't know a lot about rugby but I feel Johnny's time is up really. How long do we have to wait against Scotland until he hobbles off? Out for three weeks or so? That would be end of his international career I feel.

As a matter of interest I wonder what his success rate as a kicker is in the 6 Nations compared to Johnny Wilkinson and O'Gara.

Sorry to disappoint you (it's from Feb 2018 but I doubt his figures have changed a whole lot)

Johnny Sexton 88.43%

Ronan O’Gara 85.97%

Jonny Wilkinson 86.24%

Tom Curry at 8 is an interesting call with Lawes at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tom Curry at 8 is an interesting call with Lawes at 6

England's slump in form usually corresponds with a poor backrow. I think this could backfire for Eddie.

I dunno if you'd call it a poor backrow. I think this can get overanalysed, if between the three of them they have the right mix of skills and abilities in terms of carrying/defending/rucks/lineouts/linking I think they'll be ok. They're three very good players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

I dunno if you'd call it a poor backrow. I think this can get overanalysed, if between the three of them they have the right mix of skills and abilities in terms of carrying/defending/rucks/lineouts/linking I think they'll be ok. They're three very good players.

I think that “poor “ is relative to with BV. I can’t comment on his defensive ability but going forward he puts everyone else into the poor category.
    I think that all of England’s best performances have depended on his go forward ball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Sorry to disappoint you (it's from Feb 2018 but I doubt his figures have changed a whole lot)

Johnny Sexton 88.43%

Ronan O’Gara 85.97%

Jonny Wilkinson 86.24%

Yeah but they're just numbers. He's not calm like Wilkinson was, I mean has he ever even knocked over an important drop goal.

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    I think that “poor “ is relative to with BV. I can’t comment on his defensive ability but going forward he puts everyone else into the poor category.
    I think that all of England’s best performances have depended on his go forward ball

Yet he had a relatively quiet world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

accensi0n wrote: »
    Yeah but they're just numbers. He's not calm like Wilkinson was, I mean has he ever even knocked over an important drop goal.

If only he had lead a drive from his own 22 to the opposition 22 (40+ phases) with the clock in the red and then dropped a goal.
    Then he’d be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

sydthebeat wrote: »
    EPi-Df-Pv-Xk-AIG-u-T.jpg
    free pic upload

exciting team to face england

No place for Louis Carbonel who has been playing out of his skin for Toulon.

Would have preferred Carbonel at outhalf and Ntamack in the centre.

Now that would be a team to fear.

• Advertisement

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    If only he had lead a drive from his own 22 to the opposition 22 (40+ phases) with the clock in the red and then dropped a goal.
    Then he’d be great

From a dropout no less.

Very little buzz on the eve of six nations

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Probably a hangover from the RWC still. It's a shame there isn't a Friday evening kick-off like that mental France-Wales game last year, but once it kicks off 2moro, we'll be into the swing of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ten years since France won it. Too long

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Have yourself some of these to get yourself in the mood.

Have yourself some of these to get yourself in the mood.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I know, Bustin' Loose makes me react the same way.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think I've missed 2 Ireland home games in the past ~7/8 years, both against Italy. BODs last game, for reasons I can't remember, and Italy in 2018, because my daughter was selfish enough to be born 2 days before the game, and my wife unreasonable enough to question whether I should go to the match. Let it be known I didn't go, but both of them were lucky it was only Italy (for the few of who you know my wife, I'm only joking).

I would say for sure my interest this year is lower than it's ever been. Don't know what it is. World Cup hangover? Becoming used to the successes of recent years? Who knows. I find myself caring little for what team is selected, though that's also probably because Scotland are so rubbish that even Ulster would give them a good seeing to. Actually thought about giving tomorrow a miss.

But in the end, I'm taking the oul man to his first ever Six Nations game tomorrow, which is really what's driving most of the interest for me. Looking forward to what he makes of the whole spectacle. Also looking forward to what he thinks of the 6 quid pints in the stadium.

Prediction: Ireland by a lot. Da unimpressed at pint prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    I think I've missed 2 Ireland home games in the past ~7/8 years, both against Italy. BODs last game, for reasons I can't remember, and Italy in 2018, because my daughter was selfish enough to be born 2 days before the game, and my wife unreasonable enough to question whether I should go to the match. Let it be known I didn't go, but both of them were lucky it was only Italy (for the few of who you know my wife, I'm only joking).

I would say for sure my interest this year is lower than it's ever been. Don't know what it is. World Cup hangover? Becoming used to the successes of recent years? Who knows. I find myself caring little for what team is selected, though that's also probably because Scotland are so rubbish that even Ulster would give them a good seeing to. Actually thought about giving tomorrow a miss.

But in the end, I'm taking the oul man to his first ever Six Nations game tomorrow, which is really what's driving most of the interest for me. Looking forward to what he makes of the whole spectacle. Also looking forward to what he thinks of the 6 quid pints in the stadium.

Prediction: Ireland by a lot. Da unimpressed at pint prices.

Awec's father "they don't have harp....what sort of a shìthole is this son?"

A Welsh centric one I don't remember seeing before, though I probably have, still good, Butler gets to enjoy himself:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

RTE do a good montage.

Best time of the year lads, it’s like Xmas morning!
    Even when we were getting hammered all those years.

It’s the hope. It’s the hope that kills you. This year might surprise us all.
    Sow it into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »

You're getting older and have a family now. Priorities change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

razorblunt wrote: »
    RTE do a good montage.

Best time of the year lads, it’s like Xmas morning!
    Even when we were getting hammered all those years.

It’s the hope. It’s the hope that kills you. This year might surprise us all.
    Sow it into them.

New coach, new players, new dawn.

I think it's the unknown that's keeping us all from chomping at the bit.
    But by 7.00 tonight I expect to hear mentions of "amazing start" and "proper contenders this year" etc.

Haaaaaaan de lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Completed my 6 Nations fantasy team last night. Max 4 players per country and budget which curtails picking all the superstars. It nearly drove me mad. Come on Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I have a similar feeling,
    Its defo just a RWC hangover. you'll be grand. dont worry!

Just checked my pashun levels....

tears are flowing!:pac:

i expect you will have fully recovered before Twickenham in week 3,

Lá Feile Bríde shona daoibh!
    Best time of the year
    Come on Ireland!

I have a similar feeling, usually I know the kick off time weeks in advance, the guys in work routinely ask me questions about what day, when is kickoff, home or away, changes to selection, any talking points.
    This time for the first time in years have been struggling to keep informed as I used to take for granted, the interest is waning.
    My buddy bought an expensive ticket to go to this match and I actually had to catch myself from saying what a waste of money.
    I think the failure at the World Cup and the one-dimensional predictably boring game plan in the last year has really turned me off watching Ireland play at the moment.
    Perhaps we see some exciting passing and running today, might spark up some interest again.
    Have been considering just recording it and checking the reports before deciding whether watching the match would be worth it.
    First time in 20 years feeling like this, maybe having kids now is part of it, more enjoyable playing around with them than watching Ireland play boring rugby.

I can't say I've ever subscribed to this idea that Ireland play boring rugby. It's just a hangover from the world cup for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I can't say I've ever subscribed to this idea that Ireland play boring rugby. It's just a hangover from the world cup for me.

And the constant micro analysis that has been going on ever since. For me at least. The enjoyment has been sucked out of watching the national side, in part because of a really poor 2019, but also because you cant go anywhere without constantly hearing about the poor 2019. It's been a huge downer on the whole thing for basically a full 12 months now. Theres only so much we can take before we become apathetic towards the whole thing.

Even a good start today wont help as it's only Scotland. So it's a lose-lose really. We need a good win over Wales and at the very least a top class performance in London before things will turn around.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,115 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agreed.

Anyone looking at wales under gatland wouldn't describe them as boring, but they score feck all tries. They are mightily effective though.

Ireland in Joe's last year, looked terrible because the game plan we employed depended on critical factors, and when they weren't there we were incredibly limited.
    Hopefully AF is less risk averse

Did someone say everything is brilliant??

• Advertisement

If you had to count how many times it was posted that “Joe knows best” while Ireland were playing conservative and predictable rugby, would it be into the thousands would you think?

I'm still finding it hard to find the statement that everything is brilliant.

Everything WAS rosey until the beginning of 2019.

So if you can find me your post (or all the posts) please which denigrated the way Ireland were playing at the end of 2018, then you have an argument.

This "after the fact" reflection is no eureka moment

Advertisement