Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Jaysus!!!

Floppybits wrote: »
    Kyrgios being shown up here for not doing the required conditioning training to be able to compete in these 5 set matches.

he's doing alright!

win or lose he will come out of this match with increased respect.

ah darn that drop shot attempt

questions need to be asked ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Really good match that will stand to Nadal. A few wobbles at crucial points while leading which is unusual.

Kyrgios, to his credit, didn't throw the towel in at all and threw everything he had at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

omg, Just saw Medvedev beaten by Wavrinka!!!

Total joke this new talent is.
    Now we know what will happen, Wavrinka will do Nadal a massive favour and beat Djok (he always does) and of course lose 3-0 in the final v Rafa.

The circus continues ....

I'm no fan of Nadal and I've long been suspect of him and other tennis players, but I really can't comprehend what you get out of your senseless posting. You ruin pretty much every tennis thread on this forum. You've basically put me off bothering to post here much anymore, and I'd be pretty certain there are others in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

omg, Just saw Medvedev beaten by Wavrinka!!!

Total joke this new talent is.
    Now we know what will happen, Wavrinka will do Nadal a massive favour and beat Djok (he always does) and of course lose 3-0 in the final v Rafa.

The circus continues ....

How is Medvedev a joke? He has been winning more matches than anyone else on hard court for the past 2 years, but fast hard court don’t suit his game well.
    Wawrinka on the other hand has always played very well in OZ and we all know Stan’s fighting spirit, he loves the pain of the 5 sets format and has a proven track record against the best.
    I still believe Wawrinka is missing half a step in his movements since the surgery even though he made great progress in USO 2019. As I said in a previous post, I expect Wawrinka to put himself in contention for big titles this year.

total joke, Nadal stronger than he's ever been at 34 ... yeah ... sure....

When will the media start asking questions I wonder ?
    I mean when this guy is still winning the French Open at 50, will they still be saying - he's just too good for the newcomers or will they start being honest?
    in fairness to him it's hard to compete with someone who is obviously on something ...
    questions need to be asked ....

Can you please back up your claims with facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Really good match that will stand to Nadal. A few wobbles at crucial points while leading which is unusual.

Kyrgios, to his credit, didn't throw the towel in at all and threw everything he had at it.
    Finally, a rational take on proceedings after all of Hectors "interesting" posts! :pac:
    Love him, or loathe him, Nadal is more often than not involved in some great tennis matches, and this was one of them. High quality throughout, with Nadals experience/clutchness coming to the fore and getting him over the line. I've seen another (more mature) side to Kyrgios side at this tournament, maybe it was the bushfires that galvanised him, I don't know, but I hope he can maintain this form and level-headedness for the foreseeable.

Finally, a rational take on proceedings after all of Hectors "interesting" posts! :pac:
    Love him, or loathe him, Nadal is more often than not involved in some great tennis matches, and this was one of them. High quality throughout, with Nadals experience/clutchness coming to the fore and getting him over the line. I've seen another (more mature) side to Kyrgios side at this tournament, maybe it was the bushfires that galvanised him, I don't know, but I hope he can maintain this form and level-headedness for the foreseeable.

I must say I was very impressed with Kyrgios 2020, when he is focused he is very hard to beat. His match against Khachanov where he had match points in both the third and fourth set is the kind of match he would have lost last year. Yet, he kept his head on his shoulder and played great in the last 2 sets. He is a natural talent but there are plenty of others out there, if he keeps it up and work hard, he can definitely compete for big titles. Does he want it? Who knows...

As for Nadal, as usual great fighting spirit on every single point from the first to the last. Amazing stats as well, 64 winners over 27 unforced errors and again improved his serves with 85% win behind the first serve and 64% behind the second.
    Good for him to also win both tie-breaks as this is Rafa Achille’s heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Hector Savage, you say Wawrinka will do Nadal a favour and beat Djokovic because he always does. You do realise that in their head to head it is 19-6 to Djokovic!!?? Admittedly Wawrinka has done very well against Novak in recent years at the slams but over the past 5 years or so their slam head to head is 4-4. Hardly constitutes as Wawrinka always winning vs Djokovic !

• Advertisement

Hector Savage, you say Wawrinka will do Nadal a favour and beat Djokovic because he always does. You do realise that in their head to head it is 19-6 to Djokovic!!?? Admittedly Wawrinka has done very well against Novak in recent years at the slams but over the past 5 years or so their slam head to head is 4-4. Hardly constitutes as Wawrinka always winning vs Djokovic !

Hector never looked at the draw, Wawrinka is in the same half as Nadal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I actually would fancy Nadal to beat Wawrinka if they do meet in the semi final. Wawrinka is a really formidable opponent but Nadal's game has always been a very tough match up for him. I know that Wawrinka beat Nadal in the final of oz but let's be honest Rafa was really struggling with injury in that match.

I would really like to see Wawrinka win another grand slam, he is a fabulous player to watch. His match against Zverev could be an interesting one. I am almost in shock that Zverev is in a grand slam quarter final, he usually capitulates by now. Maybe he is sneaking under the radar this time. Wawrinka might prove too powerful for him but on the other hand Stan could throw in one of his loose matches and lose comfortably. You just never know which Stan will turn up

Nadal's serve was excellent at times today. The game after he dropped it serving for the match was spectacular and was then great in the breaker.

He'll need that kind of performance if he's to get to the final and beat djokovic.

What are your thoughts on the upcoming Djokovic- Raonic match? I know Raonic has never beaten the Djoker in 9 matches but I think it’s going to be very very close, with a potential upset on the cards.
    Milos has played this week his best tennis since 2016, with wins over Tsitsipas, Cilic, he his moving really well and he didn’t dropped a set yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

elmolesto wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on the upcoming Djokovic- Raonic match? I know Raonic has never beaten the Djoker in 9 matches but I think it’s going to be very very close, with a potential upset on the cards.
    Milos has played this week his best tennis since 2016, with wins over Tsitsipas, Cilic, he his moving really well and he didn’t dropped a set yet.
    As much as I'd love to see it (not cause I have anything against Djokovic, but because I want to see someone new win the AO), I'm not giving Raonic a hope in hell. Put simply, his biggest and best weapon - the serve - will be neutralised and dismantled against the best/2nd best returner ever. Raonic doesn't have enough strings to his bow, other than serve, to consistently trouble Djokovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭sxt

As much as I'd love to see it (not cause I have anything against Djokovic, but because I want to see someone new win the AO), I'm not giving Raonic a hope in hell. Put simply, his biggest and best weapon - the serve - will be neutralised and dismantled against the best/2nd best returner ever. Raonic doesn't have enough strings to his bow, other than serve, to consistently trouble Djokovic.

I reckon it could be djkovics toughest match that he plays this tournament. 4 sets Djkovic

Nadal vs Thiem. I think this is 50/50 match. Thiem to win in 5

Federer to breeze through and win in 3

Zerev vs wawrinka. Zverev should win in 4. If he can't beat wawrinka in this match then its all between the ears

I know how good a returner Djokovic is but considering the time of the match, 7pm start, low temperature and high humidity, it will play in Raonic’s favor on his service games, if he can drag Djokovic into a 4/5 sets match.
    sxt wrote: »
    I reckon it could be djkovics toughest match that he plays this tournament. 4 sets Djkovic

Nadal vs Thiem. I think this is 50/50 match. Thiem to win in 5

Federer to breeze through and win in 3

Zerev vs wawrinka. Zverev should win in 4. If he can't beat wawrinka in this match then its all between the ears

I don’t give Thiem much of a chance here against Nadal. I would give Thiem a 50/50 chance against Nadal at the US open because the courts are slower and the higher bounce.

I agree with you on Federer.

I’m expecting Stan to deliver on the big stage and continue on his upward trajectory we have seen since USO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

elmolesto wrote: »
    I know how good a returner Djokovic is but considering the time of the match, 7pm start, low temperature and high humidity, it will play in Raonic’s favor on his service games, if he can drag Djokovic into a 4/5 sets match.

It would have to be a case of Djokovic having one of his off days for Raonic to beat him. I don't see anything other than a comfortable win but I would like to see him stretch Djokovic a bit.

Raonic is an awfully boring player to watch. Him and Cilic both actually.

Hope Djokovic rinses him.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I fear the men's side is heading to the exact same inevitability it is always does, but hoping I'm wrong. Would love Thiem to give Nadal a good match, amazingly this will only be the second time they've faced each other off clay. The one time they played on hard Thiem took him to five sets at the US Open. Also curious to see how Zverev will fare against Wawrinka, and indeed against Nadal if he gets that far. Who on Earth would've picked him to reach the QF's without dropping a set after how the ATP Cup went? Maybe this is finally the time Alex makes his move at the slams.

There's literally nobody I want to win on the bottom half of the men's draw so if they could just cancel it and decide the winner amongst the top half that'd be just fantastic.

Disappointed Kerber lost, she hasn't progressed passed the 4th round of a slam since winning Wimbledon. Delighted about Muguruza, will be weird for her to be facing off against a player coached by Sumyk. Sumyk gets a lot of unfair flak, he's clearly a great coach and had amazing results with both Azarenka and Muguruza. The partnership with Garbine had clearly run it's course long before it ended, but it shouldn't detract from the fact that they achieved an enormous amount together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fed faced 3 match points in the 4th. Struggling on the forehand side, looks like an injury.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Faced 7 match points, and took the 4th set. One of the ball kids ran into Sangrens leg during the changeover in the tiebreak. All drama. Fed has the trainer out.

Incredible stuff. That tie breaker was nail biting. Sandgren is the sort of player who gets this opportunity once in a career and he might have shot his load too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Run out of words for that man. An ultimate sporting legend and hero

Remarkable from Federer. Can't see him having much left in the legs for djokovic on Friday.

F*ck off and retire Federer ...

Somebody had a mildly amusing Twitter comment about Federer sticking in and prevailing..

"Stubborn old goat"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

You contribute so much to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

This attitude in any sport always makes me laugh out loud. Ludicrous notion. And no one can ever explain who the beneficiaries would be. It’s the same as gender quotas and such like. Nuts.

• Advertisement

Djokovic clinical in his timing to strike the blow to take the first set.

Advertisement