Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2020

Comments

surprised that Djokovic bothered to contest that.

Djokovic having trouble dealing with the bounce off Thiem's baseline shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Djokovic so below par

Dare I say this could be over the way Novak is playing

shaky hold by Djokovic but vital

These next games are the crux of the match - can Thiem kill off Djokovic or can Djokovic take control of this set?

slice backhand winner - you don't see that everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Djokovic cant put more than two good points in a row together atm, credit to Thiem for not letting him get into any flow

got the luck there at the end but Thiem got a net-cord earlier

ballsy switchup of style facing break point to go to the serve volley game for a couple of points tho by Djokovic which worked.

Thiem has him on the baseline exchanges at the moment - he has to try something

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Goran Ivanisevic looked very suspicious there - was he fiddling with Djokovics drink ?

In his poor matches of late, Dkokovic at least had his serve to fall back on, that's very ropey as well now, he looks lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,657 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Potentially a lot more tennis to decide this match!

• Advertisement

That's what I love about the men's slams, they really have to be earned in battle against champions.

there is a real weight of value about them.

My prediction of Thiem in 4 is still on!!!

Nole gone fav for match now..

what did I say.

no other player ever has shown the ability to turn things around like Djokovic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Uh oh, fearing the worst now for Thiem. Hope it's not a blowout in the 5th.

glasso wrote: »
    what did I say.

no other player ever has shown the ability to turn things around like Djokovic.

It’s as much Thiem not being ruthless or ultra efficient. There’s just an air of inconsistency about him..

Nole to me looks past his better days...slower...

Finally Thiem serves first!

great to be privileged with a 5 set battle here.

all to play for now.

Wow, Thiem is going to have to win it after all...

• Advertisement

I’m sticking with Thiem.

walshb wrote: »
    It’s as much Thiem not being ruthless or ultra efficient. There’s just an air of inconsistency about him..

Nole to me looks past his better days...slower...

come on, ND did come back here - champion grit shown to up his level. only true players can do that.

mixed up his game plan at key points (e.g. serve volley). got his serve working again.

come on, ND did come back here - champion grit shown to up his level. only true players can do that.

He did...just a fair few easy points given...

This new crop players just missing that specialness!

He did...just a fair few easy points given...

This new crop players just missing that specialness!

ND is not as good as his very best but he has that ability to find a way to get back in - it's amazing. he has done it so many times.

all in the balance still.

UE again hurting Thiem...

ND is not as good as his very best but he has that ability to find a way to get back in - it's amazing. he has done it so many times.

all in the balance still.

On a knife edge atm
    Thiem still going big, credit to him, but Djokovic has tidied up a lot

• Advertisement

Djokovic is such a clutch player

FFS...Thiem...come on!

FFS...Thiem...come on!

Chance gone a-begging. Cannot help but grudgingly admire Djokovic, find him difficult to watch but he produces when it matters the most.

Thiem has possibly two games to break Nole...if he is championship material he has to get one at least..

Thiem digging in here, hats off

• Advertisement

Djokovic is just such a good player, so complete and his self belief is incredible. When up against it he delivers time and again. Still a long way to go though. Thiem has played super tennis. A future world number one

lostcat wrote: »
    Thiem digging in here, hats off

a proper contest.

Djokovic is a mental strength colossus of the game. You can only admire the pure competitive grit that he can summon to pull things out of the fire when the chips are down and turn momentum around. Even after winning so much over the years.

pretty much everyone here wrote him off after the third set - do so at your peril.

Thiem doesn’t deserve this with all his UEs

Thiem doesn’t deserve this with all his UEs

Dkokovic hit plenty in the middle sets

Novak Djokovic

8 Australian Open finals, 8 Australian Open titles.

Not sure how he got his game back together after sets 2+3, but serious props to Djokovic.

Thiem will win a few slams, he was really good for large parts of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Great tussle between Thiem and Djokovic!! I didn't know what to expect from the match but it was a good one. Bit of a subdued celebration from Nole.

Hats off the Dominic - he's getting closer and closer to his first Grand Slam. I think he can do it this year.

Not sure how he got his game back together after sets 2+3, but serious props to Djokovic.

Thiem will win a few slams, he was really good for large parts of that.

He will. You have to earn a grand slam on this side of the game and it will mean so much when he gets it.

Could even maybe get his slam in France. But there again he'll be up against a great who won't hand over the title on a plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

RosyLily wrote: »
    Hats off the Dominic - he's getting closer and closer to his first Grand Slam. I think he can do it this year.

True, would like to see him do it in Paris.

Safin is a dude!

If he had ND's headspace he would have had a lot more GS's.

• Advertisement

Not a classic I suppose but very engrossing nonetheless. Dkokovic back to No 1 and likely to hold it for a few months.

It still feels like there will be a new slam winner sooner rather than later, but they won't be handed it.

Very composed young man, Thiem, excellent speech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

josip wrote: »
    True, would like to see him do it in Paris.

A definite possibility!! Faced Nadal twice in the final and has gotten closer each time. He'll fancy his chances. That is if nothing happens between now and then.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on at the US Open as well.

Not a classic I suppose but very engrossing nonetheless. Dkokovic back to No 1 and likely to hold it for a few months.

It still feels like there will be a new slam winner sooner rather than later, but they won't be handed it.

yes the men and women's game might get the same money at the GS's (even though the viewing figures are way higher for the mens overall) so they should be directly compared but as contests and weight of value they are not close to being in the same league.

yesterday we had 3 double-faults in one single game, the final game, to hand over the title on a plate.

yes we had double faults here - one even deciding the set but only max 1 in a game. 3 in a game is below club standard. disgraceful for what is supposed to be the pinnacle of tennis and just an awful indictment.

11 different winners of the last 13 women's slams - they can't all be very good and they aren't. none are remotely approaching the titans that are around on the men's side. these titans are failing and faltering but still rage against the dying light.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Can't see Thiem beating Nadal at RG at all, if anything I think he had a better shot at winning today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I don't know what to make of Djokovic's antics. He has a history of amazing turnarounds after looking injured or tired.

I followed the text updates on BBC and, by all accounts, at the end of the third set it looked over for him - then the extended bathroom break. Is it mind games, a magic sponge, or maybe some supplement/drink that has to be consumed in such a way that would draw whispers if shown on TV?

Whatever the reasons for these comebacks, it only adds to the lack of respect for a guy who should have more after winning so much.

Players are supervised when going off court. Lots of players go off court between sets. Federer did it vs Sandgren at a crucial moment. Nadal does it frequently. Lots of players do it and all players are supervised

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I don't know what to make of Djokovic's antics. He has a history of amazing turnarounds after looking injured or tired.

I followed the text updates on BBC and, by all accounts, at the end of the third set it looked over for him - then the extended bathroom break. Is it mind games, a magic sponge, or maybe some supplement/drink that has to be consumed in such a way that would draw whispers if shown on TV?

Whatever the reasons for these comebacks, it only adds to the lack of respect for a guy who should have more after winning so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Players are supervised when going off court. Lots of players go off court between sets. Federer did it vs Sandgren at a crucial moment. Nadal does it frequently. Lots of players do it and all players are supervised

Go away you with your inconvenient facts. :)

the rules are the same for all players.

Djokovic gets all the focus whenever he goes to chop a log or whatever he is at but as pointed out he's not the only player who does it - even St. Roger does.

You still have to beat your opponent either way.

He just happens to have the comeback ability at a level never seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

A 7 minute break?

The point is, if it transpires that there is noting wrong a player - which seems to be the consensus regarding Djokovic - then what, if any, measures can be taken to punish or discourage such behaviour.

A quick search and you'll find numerous players owning up to taking time out to get their heads together: Murray, Federer, and Becker admitted as much for Djokovic during his Wimbledon final with Federer.

I like the suggestion of the opposing player being able to talk with their coach if a player walks off the court to do anything other than take a pee.

Advertisement