Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2020

Options

Comments

Thiem very very impressive in the tie-break to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

glasso wrote: »
    Thiem very very impressive in the tie-break to take it.

Indeed, I am slightly more positive about his chances now ....

from Nadal 100% certain to win this match, he is now only 99.999999% certain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Nadal faltering again when serving for the set/match. If he gets through this and makes it to a final against Djokovic he can't afford to miss those opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nadal faltering again when serving for the set/match. If he gets through this and makes it to a final against Djokovic he can't afford to miss those opportunities.
    I think Zverev will take either of these two. And who knows from there, he certainly has the weapons to beat Djokovic..

Thiem's service not up to scratch right now.

Will cost him the match if he can't get back into his rhythm.

• Advertisement

ah thats it, Nadal a break up .... all over ....
    another 4 set win for Nadal, new guys continue to dissapoint

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Thiem fairly swinging for the fences here so far. If he can keep it up (and they keep landing in) he has every chance. Some power in those shots.
    He has a better chance of beating a Djokovic in the final if they both get there than Nadal also, bu ti'm getting ahead of myself...

glasso wrote: »
    Thiem's service not up to scratch right now.

Will cost him the match if he can't get back into his rhythm.

It's over ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nadal's serve has gone to pot. 4 each now. I think Hector was getting a bit carried away.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Nadal's serve has gone to pot. 4 each now. I think Hector was getting a bit carried away.

thats not like him....

• Advertisement

ah thats it, Nadal a break up .... all over ....
    another 4 set win for Nadal, new guys continue to dissapoint

2-0 to Thiem.

don't see Nadal coming back to take the match barring major nerves from Thiem - Thiem looks a man on a mission and Nadal not good enough today.

there will be at least one new finalist in Melbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I disagree that Thiem looks like a man on a mission completely. Nadal has been up a break in each set and has contrived to throw it away. Thiem has taken advantage of those but two 7-6 sets having been a break down is not the performance from someone who has gone out there and grabbed it by the balls, so to speak, for me.

Unreal stuff from Thiem.

I disagree that Thiem looks like a man on a mission completely. Nadal has been up a break in each set and has contrived to throw it away. Thiem has taken advantage of those but two 7-6 sets having been a break down is not the performance from someone who has gone out there and grabbed it by the balls, so to speak, for me.

I mean man on a mission in terms of his focus and resilience - this is evidenced even more so in coming back from breaks to take both sets

i.e. he is not going to let this slip barring something exceptional from Nadal

Nadal off his game at the key points where you'd expect a proven champion to be at their best - that time violation may have been the last straw to his OCD brain workings and he has been totally distracted since.

Nadal having a go at everyone there at the last change over. Never seen him like that. Thiems backhand is a thing of beauty.

Nadal back in business

and thats it .....

such a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

I’m on the edge of my seat for the past 2 hours!

Vamos!

I wonder how much of a toll it with take on Nadal’s body I’d he can pull this one off.

• Advertisement

Thiem missing too many shots. He has been doing it all match.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭josip

elmolesto wrote: »
    I wonder how much of a toll it with take on Nadal’s body I’d he can pull this one off.

Hector is the best one to answer that...

josip wrote: »
    Hector is the best one to answer that...

he was gettin distracted on twitter there for a while..

Thiem is going to have to refocus here, hes getting a bit wild as he tires

elmolesto wrote: »
    I’m on the edge of my seat for the past 2 hours!

Vamos!

None.

He has been pounding his body since he was a young player, the tennis world expected him to be done by his late twenties ... now at 34 (next June) he is still getting stronger and stronger and stronger and stronger and stronger .......

I expect this will do nothing either, and he will be fighting fit for Sundays final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

None.

He has been pounding his body since he was a young player, the tennis world expected him to be done by his late twenties ... now at 34 (next June) he is still getting stronger and stronger and stronger and stronger and stronger .......

I expect this will do nothing either, and he will be fighting fit for Sundays final.

Remember USO 2018 or AO 2018?

Writing could be on the wall now.

I didn't see Thiem passing this chance up after taking the first 2 sets and he's not going to.

Despite some blips he has been hitting the ball very very well and is determined.

Thiem seems to know how to make it difficult for Nadal in baseline rallies and Nadal hasn't been able to get his usual depth on shots hit from the baseline.

He will a favourite against Zverev (who I haven't seen play yet) and has had the best of recent encounters.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,588 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No real surprise here. These young players have been slowly taking over, albeit not winning slams.....it's about effing time a young talent beats an aging great...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,588 ✭✭✭✭walshb

None.

Hector, give it a bleedin' rest...:pac:

• Advertisement

nerves... double fault and stupid last shot to give Nadal the break.

Advertisement