Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fed was quite lucky today. This was always a danger, he breezes through R1 and R2 and then comes up against a banana skin. He certainly is the most vulnerable of the big 3.

A great match all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

jr86 wrote: »
    I know we'll be a while waiting but maybe Coco Gauff will ultimately do it!!

Great to see her backing up her Wimbledon run.

Jaysus, no pressure on her anyway!!

She's clearly hugely talented and seems blessed with the right temperament, but even if she started winning a slam every year from now, she'd be 37 by the time she'd equalled the record. I have a feeling it will never be beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Jaysus, no pressure on her anyway!!

She's clearly hugely talented and seems blessed with the right temperament, but even if she started winning a slam every year from now, she'd be 37 by the time she'd equalled the record. I have a feeling it will never be beaten.

Haha I'm hardly being serious sure goodness knows how her career will go

I'd be surprised if Williams still didn't win more slams though, she'll play a few more years yet I'd say and her power alone is enough to intimidate a lot of the tour

But sure who knows how tennis will look in the future. Could well be a point where there's even more than 4 slams a year

Haha I'm hardly being serious sure goodness knows how her career will go

I'd be surprised if Williams still didn't win more slams though, she'll play a few more years yet I'd say and her power alone is enough to intimidate a lot of the tour

But sure who knows how tennis will look in the future. Could well be a point where there's even more than 4 slams a year

Realistically i think she has this year and next to do it, after that you're seriously pushing boat out. It's not impossible by any stretch, but dont fancy it personally, more inclined to think her winning days are done. Its not quite a vintage era exactly but there are still enough players there, likes of Andreescu or Barty, against whom i dont think her power or intimidation factor will be enough. Admire her for keeping on though, and hope she does it for point made above in relation to the odious Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.

I think Serana is lacking in the first and last right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Nadal has definitely improved compared to the last 2 rounds. He is killing it behind his service games and clinical on break opportunities against PCB. He is leading 6-1 6-2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Bang of an impending meltdown starting to come off Kyrgios here.

I'm unsure whether Nadal could have handpicked a better third round opponent than Carrena Busta

Weaponless players aren't beating Nadal

Let's see how he looks against thiem presuming they both make the quarters. Won't be as easy when he has winners flying past him and someone who can go toe to toe on rallies

I've a sneaky feeling Thiem could dump him out here

Kyrgios won't have the discipline but even that could be a slog for Rafa

Who is this zverev imposter who is actually breezing through sets at a major and what has he done with the real Zverev?

Realistically i think she has this year and next to do it, after that you're seriously pushing boat out. It's not impossible by any stretch, but dont fancy it personally, more inclined to think her winning days are done. Its not quite a vintage era exactly but there are still enough players there, likes of Andreescu or Barty, against whom i dont think her power or intimidation factor will be enough. Admire her for keeping on though, and hope she does it for point made above in relation to the odious Court.

I'd like to think she won't win anymore but put someone like sharapova, radwanska or Errani across the net from her last July at the Wimbledon final and she would be currently holding that title despite turning up at the event rusty, blatantly unfit and even somewhat indifferent at times (committing to mixed doubles with Murray, seriously?)

Luckily halep is a very talented player who bet her off the court but I could very well see Serena powering her way through the rounds at Wimbledon and the US for the next year or 2 at least with possibly only the draw gods standing in her way

I think Williams has done wonders for women's tennis, without herself and her sister ratings would never be what they are over the last two decades, she's a huge draw wherever she goes. Add to that she's been important too over the years in ensuring hopeless players like errani haven't been fluking majors. In an era where many of the top players have struggled for consistency Serena has ensured the standard of the game overall hasn't fallen off a cliff completely.

Her time is well up now though, she's much slower, her mental strength has declined astronomically, she's not in the same planet fitness wise as she was. She's relying on aura alone and brute power these days.

But I can't blame anyone not wanting to see her winning any more after that embarrassing affair at the US open final v Osaka. There's been plenty more incidents over the years but that was the real coup de grace. Don't get me wrong her story is inspiring, and she ideally would be a superb role model but so much is spoiled by such diva and drama queen behaviour

In today's celebrity worshipping society though once someone is a champion of their sport it seems they can behave how they like and fans will just lap it up

• Advertisement

I'd like to think she won't win anymore but put someone like sharapova, radwanska or Errani across the net from her last July at the Wimbledon final

Sharapova aside, what sort of comparison is that. Neither radwanska nor errani have ever figured anywhere close to the Wimbledon final.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sharapova aside, what sort of comparison is that. Neither radwanska nor errani have ever figured anywhere close to the Wimbledon final.

:confused:

:confused:

Jesus, my apologies, I have absolutely no recollection of that final at all.

Watched pliskova lose last night, she was really bad, 6-7 6-7 scoreline flattered her. Showed a stat that she had a negative career record in tie breaks which is surprising for a player of her stature with her power and commanding serve. I'd expect her to be 60%+ in that department. I despair for her at this point.

Ah just fk off khachanov :pac:

He'll win about 6 games v Nadal, stop standing in the way of an absolute box office kyrgios Nadal encounter

Does anyone have that Ian Beale crying gif?

That'll be the all of the tournament organisers, Aussie fans and TV broadcasters if Khachanov wins this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ah just fk off khachanov :pac:

He'll win about 6 games v Nadal, stop standing in the way of an absolute box office kyrgios Nadal encounter
    Tbf, he gave Nadal socks of it in the USO two years ago. He can be a challenge on his day

come on Krygios

what a serve there!

first to 10 points

khachanov serve has been very strong in the latter part of the match but hopefully Krygios can do it.

done it.

gritty victory. showed resolve. I didn't fancy his chances when khachanov had 2 serves 8-7 up in the breaker.

the organisers must be loving the match-up with Nadal.

hopefully ends up being a match.

Phew!!

The Aussie versions of DoneDeal and Toutless.com get a nice reprieve also :pac:

Nadal v Nick it is - there'll be fireworks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Shame I won't get to see any of the match on Monday, although at the same time I could probably do without it. A Nadal-Kyrgios match is literally the only time I'd ever have to root for Nadal.

Shame I won't get to see any of the match on Monday, although at the same time I could probably do without it. A Nadal-Kyrgios match is literally the only time I'd ever have to root for Nadal.

Haha I'll still be shouting for NK - I'm willing to give him a fresh chance for 2020. if nothing else he's a far better player to watch imo, winners from all sides!

He also gets under Nadal's skin so much and the evil part of me finds it delicious!

One thing's for sure, microwave popcorn will be added to my shopping list for Monday

Haha I'll still be shouting for NK - I'm willing to give him a fresh chance for 2020. if nothing else he's a far better player to watch imo, winners from all sides!

He also gets under Nadal's skin so much and the evil part of me finds it delicious!

One thing's for sure, microwave popcorn will be added to my shopping list for Monday

Why though, nothing's changed? He's still the same terrible person he always was. And to think I was always among his biggest defenders. The whole angsty badboy thing is kinda interesting for a while but we've all got to grow up some time. His comments towards the Irish umpire were more than enough for me to know what kind of a person Nick Kyrgios really is. Not to worry though, he'll upload some photo of himself visiting a sick child and it'll all be ok again, I guess?

He's probably a dick if you had to spend a week with him but you will never meet him so why let that bother you.

He can play great entertaining tennis and if he's not acting up is also refreshingly open and honest which contrasts with most of the robotic responses you get from players on tour so overall he's an addition to the game that makes it more interesting as a result.

He's probably a dick if you had to spend a week with him but you will never meet him so why let that bother you.

I don't. I just don't root for him any more.
    He can play great entertaining tennis and if he's not acting up is also refreshingly open and honest which contrasts with most of the robotic responses you get from players on tour so overall he's an addition to the game that makes it more interesting as a result

He can do all these things without being a c*nt.

most people are not black and white but far more complex so the good comes with the bad.

the fact is that the generic tennis persona expected to be trotted out where, when asked, your opponent is great and lovely is deathly boring and completely fake.

tennis needs a talented (skills wise) outspoken type like Krygios being perfectly honest and I can enjoy it at a distance for the interest it generates. he is genuinely talented and has the skills to excite - that's what's important. if he brings occasional flashes of brilliance every now and again that's enough to brighten up the scene. he doesn't have to be amazing every week to do that but if he does manage to put in a full week he has shown that he can win tournaments.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'd like to see NK do well just to use that talent he has, if nothing else. The sport has been crying out for genuine characters and then slaughters him. Fed admits himself he wasn't the most pleasant of young fellas when he was younger. Whats happening now in Oz may affect him, making him think a bit more about important things,

whiterebel wrote: »
    I'd like to see NK do well just to use that talent he has, if nothing else. The sport has been crying out for genuine characters and then slaughters him. Fed admits himself he wasn't the most pleasant of young fellas when he was younger. Whats happening now in Oz may affect him, making him think a bit more about important things,

This is absolute nonsense to be honest. He's a dick, not a "character". There's nothing hypocritical, as your post implies, about calling out a dick for being a dick.

Nobody was crying out for a loudmouth brat who isn't prepared to put the work in alongside his marvellous talent to turn up on the tour, were they?

there will always be people who have lots of talent but maybe just couldn't be arsed or don't maybe just don't have the mental make-up to make the most of it.

having all the skills is only one side of things and some just don't fully have the other side - the mental side of mental strength and diligence. the multiple GS winners have both.

Kyrgios's dick side when it appears is that - being a dick. nobody was calling out for that but it's there. although he has been fairly well-behaved since last August.

but if he wants to play tennis and not practice as much as others or whatever - that's his choice and he's allowed do that.

who knows how much work the other guys put in - Kyrgios admits that he doesn't do a lot - could easily be the case for others also but they just don't say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Getting bored with the Coco Gauff hype that's been floating around for the last year. Fully expect she'll dominate the game for her generation but the love in is (IMO) eye-rolling when her game isn't exactly explosive and she hasn't shown much of her personality (how can she when's 15), much like Osaka.

Seen Rod Laver tweet about Coco after her recent win. Not so much for anyone else who wasn't black.

Advertisement