Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Daddy isn't going to save the Brexit-babes from the monsters. Daddy is the monster.

'Trump is threatening a damaging new trade war with the United Kingdom after Brexit'

insider.com

This is exactly why the EU is needed in Europe. We need a centralised sovereignty-pooling body to offset other powerful centralised blocs/countries. This is the World we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Just poach their business and leave them to enjoy their Tory nirvana. In time the north will join the rest of us. FF and FG will have to realise that their duopoly is finished, a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

fash wrote: »
    Literally the first thing he did was collapse to his knees and start sucking - he literally cut the UK in two at the EU's demand - and gave the EU everything it asked for. If you think that was "kicking the EU around", I'd hate to imagine what has happened to you in your life.

It is literally doing whatever the EU wants without any input for the next 11-23 months at least - and NI has been permanently and unconditionally surrendered to the power of the ECJ and CU/SM. Again, what has happened to you to in your life that you think of that as a "victory" - did it involve some grown ups? Some fellow class mates?

it's interesting that you have to ridicule the extent of the job losses and economic losses caused by brexit by a factor of over 300 to feel good about it. Wasn't brexit supposed to bring economic benefits? Where are they now?

Stop being so hysterically nuts. The very fact we have page upon page here in another country about the UK and will continue to do so is because it is the EU lovers who are so b$$$ hurt.

That post you just made and your poor efforts to try to see it different proves it.

The UK has left, you need to accept it and get over it, but you won't as you are hurt bad over it.

The more the non british obsess about this the more it is 100% right.

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Just poach their business and leave them to enjoy their Tory nirvana. In time the north will join the rest of us. FF and FG will have to realise that their duopoly is finished, a good thing.

I't been years now, can someone actually try to do this in a meaningful way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Stop being so hysterically nuts. The very fact we have page upon page here in another country about the UK and will continue to do so is because it is the EU lovers who are so b$$$ hurt.

That post you just made and your poor efforts to try to see it different proves it.

The UK has left, you need to accept it and get over it, but you won't as you are hurt bad over it.

The more the non british obsess about this the more it is 100% right.
    The just can’t get over being dumped and have now decided to stalk the Uk . The UK have actually forgotten that they exist as of course will the Eu.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I't been years now, can someone actually try to do this in a meaningful way?
    In products or sectors where the UK diverges from EU standards, that opens up opportunities. Step back from the political fighting, recognise the new reality and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

fash wrote: »
    What are you talking about?! The UK is a "democracy" in name only - a system perverted and distorted by its antiquated first past the post system so that minorities rule the place. The Tories barely got 40% of the vote (similar to brexiter votes)- yet are able to ignore the will of the people (as the brexiters do). Again why do you hate democracy so much? What should democrats do with people like you who hate democracy so much?

A democracy in name only? Why didn't Labour change the FPTP system when Tony Blair was in power? They weren't complaining about it back then.

The FPTP system is the democratically accepted system in the UK - the only time you hear ppl moaning about it is when they loose. The Tory's got 43.6% actually - not 'barely' 40.

If one party gets 40% and 3 other party's get 20% each, and the 3 party's went into coalition - the county would be run by 3 minority party's. How could that be right.

The Brexit ref result wasn't 40% it was 52%. That seems like a majority to me - unless your counting votes that weren't cast as NO votes - which would be a rather odd way of looking at it, if not surprising, as remainers have been quite inventive at raising objections.

As as for your earlier suggestion that ref's should only deamed to have won by reaching 60% - that's fine. If there is another ref in the future to return to the EU you would have to reach 60%. 59.9% wouldn't cut it. :D

AllForIt wrote: »
    A democracy in name only? Why didn't Labour change the FPTP system when Tony Blair was in power? They weren't complaining about it back then.

The FPTP system is the democratically accepted system in the UK - the only time you hear ppl moaning about it is when they loose. The Tory's got 43.6% actually - not 'barely' 40.

If one party gets 40% and 3 other party's get 20% each, and the 3 party's went into coalition - the county would be run by 3 minority party's. How could that be right.

The Brexit ref result wasn't 40% it was 52%. That seems like a majority to me - unless your counting votes that weren't cast as NO votes - which would be a rather odd way of looking at it, if not surprising, as remainers have been quite inventive at raising objections.

As as for your earlier suggestion that ref's should only deamed to have won by reaching 60% - that's fine. If there is another ref in the future to return to the EU you would have to reach 60%. 59.9% wouldn't cut it. :D
    Fantastic Post . Just Fantastic .

I don't see any EU lovers and I don't see anyone being butt hurt. I see people who think membership of the EU is a good thing, and I see people who think the UK's particular way of exiting has been a wandering farce.

We're talking about it in another country because it affects us. It affects parts of Ireland more than it does anyone in Great Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They better let me bring tobacco back from Spain next month.

£20 for 50g v €9 in Barcelona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I don't see any EU lovers and I don't see anyone being butt hurt. I see people who think membership of the EU is a good thing, and I see people who think the UK's particular way of exiting has been a wandering farce.

We're talking about it in another country because it affects us. It affects parts of Ireland more than it does anyone in Great Britain.

I think the brexiters here are a bit fanatic. And they think we care to the same levels.
    There are about 3 or 4 Brexit supporters on this thread and then they post that the existence of loads of pages is because we're fanatic. Go back 3 or 4 pages and count the posts by each user to get an example of what I mean.
    They're are loads of pages but not loads of unique posters.

Of course we're interested. It affects us and when totally idiotic posts appear in this thread we try and correct the rubbish. But like all fanatics, they ignore for a few pages and then post the same crap again as if it was for the first time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I think the brexiters here are a bit fanatic. And they think we care to the same levels.
    There are about 3 or 4 Brexit supporters on this thread and then they post that the existence of loads of pages is because we're fanatic. Go back 3 or 4 pages and count the posts by each user to get an example of what I mean.

Of course we're interested. It affects us and when totally idiotic posts appear in this thread we try and correct the rubbish. But like all fanatics, they ignore for a few pages and then post the same crap again as if it was for the first time ever.

The posters on here and the nonsense they're spouting is more about them trying to convince themselves that everything's going well and will be fine from here on in. It's just delusional shouting into the void.

As far as interest goes, Brexit sure is interesting. But interesting from the POV that it's astonishing that a nation could shoot itself in the foot so badly and all based on spoofery from millionaire business owners and Eton Oxbridge millionaires who want less regulations to deal with.

What's most hilarious about it all is this idea that any other trade deals with countries outside the EU will be free of any constraints whatsoever, or that the likes of America will come to some sort of rescue.

Incredible stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

PeadarCo wrote: »
    If the UK would be just fine without the EU why has it taken the UK 3 years to leave?
    In fairness two of those years are mandated by EU treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

In fairness two of those years are mandated by EU treaty.

Not true. The period was limited to 2 years, which was extended by the EU as the UK weren't even remotely ready on their side, but there was nothing stopping the UK leaving at any point once a deal, or indeed no deal, was the agreed option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We're almost there now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

branie2 wrote: »
    We're almost there now

Afraid not. All that'll happen is that it'll start on Friday. That's it. Then we've a year long transition period at the very least while the UK learns how powerless it is compared to the EU.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Afraid not. All that'll happen is that it'll start on Friday. That's it. Then we've a year long transition period at the very least while the UK learns how powerless it is compared to the EU.

Ahh stop will you...there will be a chartered jet taking the top brass from Brussels to London on Friday evening to ask Boris what he wants in the trade agreement, when they are there they will accept everything else he wants. Europe cannot survive without the might of the UK economy, nor can it compete with it. Only way for Europe to survive will be to put whatever Boris wants in a contract, to say yes and amen to everything. Sure dont we all know.....the UK dont need Europe, its only a hinderness to their great plan for the future.

God love their foolish ideas.....

Ahh stop will you...there will be a chartered jet taking the top brass from Brussels to London on Friday evening to ask Boris what he wants in the trade agreement, when they are there they will accept everything else he wants. Europe cannot survive without the might of the UK economy, nor can it compete with it. Only way for Europe to survive will be to put whatever Boris wants in a contract, to say yes and amen to everything. Sure dont we all know.....the UK dont need Europe, its only a hinderness to their great plan for the future.

God love their foolish ideas.....

Mock you may but the post you were responding too has a delusionary idea of the EU being powerful.

It's amazing that people think the EU has power and influence when in fact it has never in it's history been shown to have either. People can just cite the size due to it's expanding membership of Romania and co.

The EU has no international clout, UK, France Germany, Poland , Italy have some, the EU doesn't.

The EU doesn't have power. It's a mix of faded former colonial powers and some tiny nations that can't even muster a foriegn policy or an army between them.

They have no power, hard or soft. I would say GCHQ knows more about what goes in their own governments then they do.

Joke shop of a union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

The EU talking up and army is comedy gold. They may try but never will have an army of note.

The UK and it's allies wouldn't have to worry about any EU army ever, it will never ben allowed to be a threat in capacity.
    Between this and the Army talk the EU is getting dangerous. I hope Washington and London are talking about to to nip this who thing in the bud

(Source = https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108696713&postcount=6136 )
    Another day, another double speak statement by crypto.

So which is it then - the EU army concept is dangerous or the EU army concept is a joke? Seems before when Brexit was hanging in the balance it was dangerous, almost like Brexit had to happen to prevent it - but now Mr Johnson has a WA through it was all just a silly joke really?

So: Which statement is correct? Danger or joke?

• Advertisement

Mock you may but the post you were responding too has a delusionary idea of the EU being powerful.

It's amazing that people think the EU has power and influence when in fact it has never in it's history been shown to have either. People can just cite the size due to it's expanding membership of Romania and co.

The EU has no international clout, UK, France Germany, Poland , Italy have some, the EU doesn't.

Germany has the worlds second biggest export market if I am not mistaken, definately bigger than the UK, combined with the other EU member states and it makes the UK irrelevant. What has the UK to offer the world that it really needs or that it cannot produce itself?? Answer me that....

This is not 2 lads out on a Friday night fighting about who has the biggest bit of tackle.

The idea of the EU is freedom of movement, trade and a common framework for law etc. Now if I was a British citizen I would be very worried at the idea of Mogg and Boris writing laws or indeed going out to get trade deals. They have proven nothing to date, except that they can block an EU deal taken home by T. May and then eventually sign it once in power.

How will UK citizens react to the following:
    1. The EU insist on visa applications when you are going on your jollies??
    2. Where will food, car parts etc. come from if the EU stop trade??
    3. What happens to the UK expats living in the south of Spain when they cant get medical help in hospitals??
    The list goes on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

The EU doesn't have power. It's a mix of faded former colonial powers and some tiny nations that can't even muster a foriegn policy or an army between them.

They have no power, hard or soft. I would say GCHQ knows more about what goes in their own governments then they do.

Joke shop of a union.

Funny. You could apply that same statement to the "United" Kingdom.

Except the tiny nations are prevented from having power, hard or soft, prevented from having foreign policies of their own.

No more a symbolic statement than three of the four nations of said "United" Kingdom rejecting the WA bill - but essentially having absolutely zero influence on the outcome because Westminster overrules all.

Bit rich - if not ironic beyond belief - to be labelling other unions a joke then, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

blinding wrote: »
    Scotland , well some Scottish people call themselves a country. Yet only a few years ago they rejected the chance to become an Independent Country. I suggest the Scottish hurry up and Vote themselves into being an Independent Nation State. They certainly cannot be taken seriously as an Independent Nation state until they do so.

Northern Ireland. The sooner it votes to leave the Uk the better. What’s stopping it.

About £10 billion per year and approx half the population.

Then we've a year long transition period at the very least while the UK learns how powerless it is compared to the EU.
    You and others have been telling us how powerless and wrong and all the other things they have been for almost 4 years now.

I think you may have been wrong on most if not all of them so far. Keep it up.

You going to unroll the flag next week at Dover?

1. The EU insist on visa applications when you are going on your jollies?? To holiday in other places in the world of which there are many.

2. Where will food, car parts etc. come from if the EU stop trade?? Similar to above.

3. What happens to the UK expats living in the south of Spain when they cant get medical help in hospitals?? they fiy home or take out insurance as most people do here.

The list goes on....I know after 4 years it is incredably tedious to log in to these threads and see the same people spouting the same doom about another country while their own is teetering on the edge of the abyss.

About £10 billion per year and approx half the population.
    But sure ye Eu-Philes think they all love ye, and of course ye are chomping at the bit to pay the £10 Billion or is it £12 Billion.

Ye should offer to pay it for 10 years before Irish Re-unifaiction just to show how great Eu-philia is ! !;)

1. The EU insist on visa applications when you are going on your jollies?? To holiday in other places in the world of which there are many.

2. Where will food, car parts etc. come from if the EU stop trade?? Similar to above.

3. What happens to the UK expats living in the south of Spain when they cant get medical help in hospitals?? they fiy home or take out insurance as most people do here.

The list goes on....I know after 4 years it is incredably tedious to log in to these threads and see the same people spouting the same doom about another country while their own is teetering on the edge of the abyss.

I am looking forward to seeing if your ideas become reality. I cannot see it being as straight forward as you think. This is going to get interesting when the normal Joe Soap realises how he is personally effected.

So what have the UK got to offer at the table with the EU when it comes to doing trade deals??? How have they got the EU over a barrel??

They think the Brits are thinking about them , when the Brits hardly know they exist !

• Advertisement

I am looking forward to seeing if your ideas become reality. I cannot see it being as straight forward as you think. This is going to get interesting when the normal Joe Soap realises how he is personally effected.

So what have the UK got to offer at the table with the EU when it comes to doing trade deals??? How have they got the EU over a barrel??

I have never said its straight forward but its you and the like have said for 4 years its the end of the world for UK and so far you have been very consistantly .....wrong........so work away. It gives you a hobby any way.

Advertisement