Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No, pal. I mean me. And I mean you. And everybody else.

We ALL need to look in the mirror and ask, is this good enough?

Well, us men do. The women? Well, they need to be taken down a “peg” or two.

The tide is turning…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

Well, us men do. The women? Well, they need to be taken down a “peg” or two.

uppity wimminfolk getting notions

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's not a fawning tribute, it's a fitting poem espousing that there are those who do, and there are those who complain.

From my recollection of his interview on the Joe Rogan Experience #1208 (I believe it was that one), Peterson has never ever advocated that others follow the diet, as he has no dietary qualifications. What he did was speak anecdotally of his and his daughters experience of the diet, both of whom found it beneficial. He was at pains to press that it was not empirically supported, but merely his experience and by extension, hers too.

The question that "well, that he 'solved' his mental health issues, why did he develop a benzo addiction?" is as follows, as I understand: he found his diet did help with his long term depressive symptoms. However, his lifestyle change since 2016 (when he came to public prominence, constant debates, his person and career constantly under threat and up for dissection in the public arena) coupled with his wife being diagnosed with and battling a very grim cancer diagnosis led him to go to his doctor, where he was prescribed anti-anxiety medication. His particular benzo is highly addictive and so Jordan tried unsuccessfully to detox from it before entering a detox facility.

I think it's particularly sad that 2-3 posters on here are fixated by his diet and use it as a platform to trash everything he does. I don't agree with everything JP does, says or believes but I am a strong enough individual to be able to separate the chaff from the wheat and see the value that he currently provides as a public figure. His overall message of taking personal responsibility is one that many could learn and benefit from in 2020, but the way he packages it is a bitter pill to swallow. And for some, including those aforementioned on this thread, it is easier on their ego to trash the great work of a risk taker and scream from the sidelines, rather than take the cold, harsh look at oneself and realise that the gap between the current self and the potential self is horrifyingly wide and set out to rectify that.

If you're clever enough to separate the wheat from the chaff then you might agree with me that advising people to pet cats and stand up straight is the wheat and the selling a miracle cure diet is very much the chaff.

The reluctance to even admit the diet is nonsense suggests that you actually mix the wheat and chaff and determine it's good enough overall.

I mean, come on. The miracle cure diet is pretty cynical. Do you seriously think it's genuine?

Fistycuffs wrote: »

He's never told everyone to give you any food group. He's just discussed his experience. Personally I think any perspective born of lived experience is richer, I appreciated him sharing it.

Sure he never advises anyone to eat any diet. You go to his daughter for counselling. And she tells customers all about it and then gives the legal hit that she's also not qualified to tell anyone what to eat. It's a very simple business model.

No, pal. I mean me. And I mean you. And everybody else.

We ALL need to look in the mirror and ask, is this good enough?

But hey, don't let such a thing as a well reasoned argument or a healthy approach to ego derail you and your issue with a beef diet. Good man.

Sure, sure. Personal responsibility is a good thing. I'd be surprised if you can find someone on this thread who disagrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

No point asking me. I see it as a cynical con trick. You need to his daughter to find out.

Terrible con trick to try on.

My 100% beef only diet is a cure for all your ailments. Message me for the secret ingredient.

Terrible con trick to try on.

My 100% beef only diet is a cure for all your ailments. Message me for the secret ingredient.

LOL. But don't joke. There are enough credulous people on this thread who can't see through this kind of trick, no matter how obvious it is.

Dude.. maybe you should take a break from the internet for a day or two..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Where is he selling this diet? In interviews on the Internet.

When and where did he claim that this diet cured his depression. In interviews on the Internet.

Was he taking anti-depressents at that time? I've no idea. We know he was taking anti anxiety mess to the point of becoming addicted. I don't even believe he are an all beef diet. I just know he said he are an all beef diet.

Direct quotes now, if you don't mind. I'm not wasting time looking for quotes for you to dismiss.

As I said, direct quotes, no "he said" or "duirt bean lom go duirt bean lei" guff

You're not "wasting time" because that straw man you built looks mighty shakey

Bambi wrote: »
    As I said, direct quotes, no "he said" or "duirt bean lom go duirt bean lei" guff

You're not "wasting time" because that straw man you built looks mighty shakey

If you believe the diet miracle cure story, then you're in real danger of believing anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

But hey, don't let such a thing as a well reasoned argument or a healthy approach to ego derail you and your issue with a beef diet. Good

Don't forget the benzo addiction, we can all aspire to that, right?

If you believe the diet miracle cure story, then you're in real danger of believing anything

What I don't believe is your posts because you cant back them up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I addressed the benzo addiction in my first post. He went into detox after realising it had developed and unsuccessfully trying to detox himself, something that is immensely difficult and dangerous.

I don't see your point? A man developed an issue with a highly addictive prescribed medication, tried to resolve it himself and then sought help. Is there something wrong with this?

He's Canadian too..the prick..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

No need to guess at what you'd do. You'd skip past giving Peterson's miracle cure diet the benefit of the doubt and go straight to evidence based medicine. But for the sake of argument and with nothing at stake, you can continue to pretend the diet might actually be more than a conjob.

you are hallucinating his position , he isn't promoting it, if I remember when he was on joe rogan he pretty much said the opposite. so basically you are saying you don't like him because of what he eats. this is fine, im sceptical of vegans myself :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Clearly not something to aspire to, but I'm loathe to kick him while he's down. I just hope he's getting proper, evidence based, treatment. And I'm sure he is because he probably wouldn't mess about with his own health.

The cognitive dissonance amongst his fans is interesting though. Selling his daughters nonsense diet business must be a bit embarrassing for his fans. The solution is to criticise those who highlight it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

he said meat and greens on joe rogan... presume he's not just talkin about a lettuce garnish. kales, peas, beans, spinach, pak choi, bok whatever its a pretty comprehensive diet.
    he was just givin out about carbs on the interview i saw anyway, like a lot of healthness fitness ppl

His daughter, who's business he's promoting, claims to be on the beef salt and water diet (with vodka and bourbon). She claims any other foods cause terrible side effects but vodka and Bourbon are totally fine.

It's not Complicated. It's just saying the diet works and charging people money for it. And people will buy it. You believed it before you even knew what it was. That's what the Petersons see counting on.

You kept referring to him selling this diet and now he's just promoting it :confused: From what I can see his daughter is selling membership of some sort of support group or consulation rather than a diet.

Any luck finding directs quotes to back up your claims peppered throughout this thread? Or are you still expecting everyone to take your word for all of this? Because that's asking a lot tbh, you don't seem very reliable.

It's amazing how JP lives rent free in this chap's head.

Also, the willy nilly throwing around of the term 'psychoanalysis'. If you truly feel everyone is psychoanalysing you, it'd be interesting to hear what a real analyst would make of that :pac:

Daddy issues probably..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Daddy issues probably..

It's narcissism...we are in an epidemic...I blame twitter!

Bambi wrote: »
    You kept referring to him selling this diet and now he's just promoting it :confused: From what I can see his daughter is selling membership of some sort of support group or consulation rather than a diet.

Any luck finding directs quotes to back up your claims peppered throughout this thread? Or are you still expecting everyone to take your word for all of this? Because that's asking a lot tbh, you don't seem very reliable.

I've said loads of times that he's selling the diet for his daughter's financial and status gain.

If I showed you a quite of him banging on about the miraculous benefits of the diet, you'd dismiss it. So what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If you truly feel everyone is psychoanalysing you, it'd be interesting to hear what a real analyst

A real psychoanalyst is like a real astrologer or a real phrenologist.

What do you mean when you say I defended him, what did I say specifically?

On what basis is it made up, the only person with a certain belief on this seems to be you, driven by your personal hatred of Jordan Peterson.

There is nothing miraculous about what both Jordan Peterson and his daughter are claiming. If you remove grains, refined sugars and and vegetable oils you will likely see significant benefits. I doubt very much the diet needs to be as specific as his daughter's. Even then, in the interview I watched he said it worked for him and it might not work for other people. I would expect symptoms to abate by applying such a diet, his claims are not implausible. Could he be lying, yes of course, like anyone could be. Do I personally get offended if he is lying, nope, that would insane. Who cares if someone is lying.

You spent the day trying to amateur psychoanalyse me because I criticised the Petersons miracle cure diet. This was before you even looked up whet the diet was. Pretty standard. Someone criticises Peterson so you criticised them using amateur psychoanalysis.

It's interesting to see someone do it so blatantly - without even knowing what they were talking about.

Have you seen the cure claims he made about the diet? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I think El dude is just trolling at this stage..

Mod

You've been around the block on here long enough to know, that on thread is not the way to call people out as trolling.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Mod

You've been around the block on here long enough to know, that on thread is not the way to call people out as trolling.

Read back over the last fifteen pages of him ignoring everything anyone said to him and just going on about the bloody diet and tell me he's not trolling..

A real psychoanalyst is like a real astrologer or a real phrenologist.

I'm aware. Just as you're aware of how silly you look axcusog others of 'analysing' you.

4/10 for deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Can everyone stop pseudo-psychoanalysing each other. All it is doing is adding unnecessary tension.

I think we get it at this stage El Duderino 99 - you don't like the diet. You can stop beating that drum.

I'll say no more about the diet. If you buy that nonsense, you're a proper Peterson fan. No doubting your credentials. In fact I bet some people would believe what he says before they even know what he said. Oh wait....

Just a point of information, someone else brought it up this morning. I responded to them. I’ll say no more about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Advertisement