Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Calhoun wrote: »
    Must be great to be loaded and bored enough you decide to piss off the leader of the country.

Well in fairness Leo is loaded and he has p*ssed off a lot of the country also, sauce for the gander and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Calhoun wrote: »
    Must be great to be loaded and bored enough you decide to piss off the leader of the country.

Varadkar a leader ?

He’s a follower. He follows kites !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Why are Soc Dems getting so little traction. Running at 2%. I think if you want real change and the opportunity to make an impact they are the party to get involved in.

Obviously Ellie Kisyombe and to an extent their support of Luas drivers has not put them in a positive light with the public.

But still to only be on 2% with a host of young, fresh and ambitious candidates. They should be doing better.

Anyway, day off work for me today so going to set up a spreadsheet and go through some manifestos for comparative analysis.
    Because they are not a party as we understand such things, just a vehicle to return the two ladies. Even their possible third TD Gannon is likely to be passed by FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Why are Soc Dems getting so little traction. Running at 2%. I think if you want real change and the opportunity to make an impact they are the party to get involved in.

Obviously Ellie Kisyombe and to an extent their support of Luas drivers has not put them in a positive light with the public.

But still to only be on 2% with a host of young, fresh and ambitious candidates. They should be doing better.

Anyway, day off work for me today so going to set up a spreadsheet and go through some manifestos for comparative analysis.

I've heard they are in 15% in Dublin. If you don't run a candidate in everyone constancy you will only ever poll in single digits

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

is_that_so wrote: »
    Because they are not a party as we understand such things, just a vehicle to return the two ladies. Even their possible third TD Gannon is likely to be passed by FF.

IIRC wasn't he in a direct bun fight for Maureen O Sullivan's seat in 2016 losing to her by a couple of hundred votes? With her not contesting now, he is likely to hoover up a huge amount of her support, they're very closely aligned on issues in that area.

The SD candidate in Galway West, Niall O' Tuathail only lost out by a bout 200 votes to Hildegard Naughton last time too.

And, after Donnelly's woeful performance on Claire Byrne this week, I would say Whitmore will catch a bump from his previous voters too.

Outside that, maybe their candidate in West Cork, Holly Cairns might get in? I think that will be it sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

scrumqueen wrote: »
    IIRC wasn't he in a direct bun fight for Maureen O Sullivan's seat in 2016 losing to her by a couple of hundred votes? With her not contesting now, he is likely to hoover up a huge amount of her support, they're very closely aligned on issues in that area.

The SD candidate in Galway West, Niall O' Tuathail only lost out by a bout 200 votes to Hildegard Naughton last time too.

And, after Donnelly's woeful performance on Claire Byrne this week, I would say Whitmore will catch a bump from his previous voters too.

Outside that, maybe their candidate in West Cork, Holly Cairns might get in? I think that will be it sadly.

If they hold their current two and add 3, that's a very good day at the polls for them. SocDems and Greens will be in a very strong position when it comes to forming a new government as a bloc.

Gannon annoys my hoop though, went to bat for Kisyombe when she was lying through her teeth. Was a bit of a solo run on his part and caused some divisions in the party apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Accept that it's not a crystal ball, but Paddy Power has Gannon neck and neck with the Green candidate to take the last seat in Dublin Central. However, Whitmore is eighth in line and the other two are way down the field. I'd say there's a strong possibility the SDs will be coming back with just the same two 'ladies of a certain age' they went out with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Holly Cairns is actually up against her boyfriend who is FF for a seat.

Donnelly was shocking bad on Claire Byrne. Never seen him taken apart so easily. Róisín Shortall i would say was delighted to get the opportunity to make him look inept a couple of times.

Yurt! wrote: »
    If they hold their current two and add 3, that's a very good day at the polls for them. SocDems and Greens will be in a very strong position when it comes to forming a new government as a bloc.

Gannon annoys my hoop though, went to bat for Kisyombe when she was lying through her teeth. Was a bit of a solo run on his part and caused some divisions in the party apparently.

Agree on Gannon, he annoys me too. Think he went on a solo run on the O'Devaney Gardens vote too. Seems he pissed off a lot within the party and constituents. I would not put him down as winning a seat.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/protests-as-odevaney-gardens-housing-deal-is-approved-by-council-38661808.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Because they are nothing but a silly bunch of virtue signalling WOKE middle class flakes, overly concerned with issues like transgenderism

They receive an even more disproportionate amount of media time than PBP, Roisin shorthall is on either one or the other of the Friday morning weekly review panels, she's never off radio or TV yet her party is going nowhere

They share the same politics as RTE, the Irish Times and the bulk of the media, unfortunately for the Soc dems, the general public are not overly concerned with gender pronouns

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Because they are overly concerned with issues like transgenderism

Agree.
    They receive an even more disproportionate amount of media time than PBP, Roisin shorthall is on either one or the other of the Friday morning weekly review panels, she's never off radio or TV yet her party is going nowhere

Completely Disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Maxx, that is good right wing attack on the Soc Dems. The two ladies are recognised across the House for their ability and I think MM will be quite happy to accommodate them if he is forming a rainbow Govn't.

If FF get to where they are in polls, in Dublin Central and higher he won't get in. Not sure about the Donnelly vote transferring. It was a personal one and being in SD was no big deal.

Water John wrote: »
    Maxx, that is good right wing attack on the Soc Dems. The two ladies are recognised across the House for their ability and I think MM will be quite happy to accommodate them if he is forming a rainbow Govn't.

They don't catch any mentions from the D0b media channels given their stance on anti corruption and their investigations into dealings of his.

Because they are nothing but a silly bunch of virtue signalling WOKE middle class flakes, overly concerned with issues like transgenderism

They share the same politics as RTE, the Irish Times and the bulk of the media, unfortunately for the Soc dems, the general public are not overly concerned with gender pronouns

Your not far too wrong from my observations. Perhaps they need a few more conservative candidates. I'm a member and Catherine Murphy will be certainly getting my number one. There is another one that annoys the bejaysus out of me for being quite shouty on twitter. Owen Hanley in Galway.

These woke candidates that actively look to create controversy and shout racism, misogyny, homophobia and whatever other nonsensical accusations at the drop at a hat do more damage than good imo.

Water John wrote: »
    He'd take a Peter Casey and a National Party TD to make sure he didn't go down as the only FF leader never to have been Taoiseach!

The two ladies would get in on their own merits. Catherine Murphy will top the poll in Kildare North. The best TD in the country in my opinion for calling out the Government on their shenanigans. Her investigative work on the Siteserv debacle was exemplary.

A point to remember is the FG Government at the time and in particular Enda Kenny and Michael Noonan put roadblocks in place on the IBRC Inquiry for whatever reason.

There is another one that annoys the bejaysus out of me for being quite shouty on twitter. Owen Hanley in Galway.

These woke candidates SD Galway members that actively look to create controversy and shout racism, misogyny, homophobia and whatever other nonsensical accusations at the drop at a hat do more damage than good imo.

Fixed that for you :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There's alot of very nice people in Fine Gael. I don't understand it. I can't really tell them what I think of the party because they're so sound.

I told my aunt's friend what I thought of the FG TD, so I'm not expecting any visits :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

Good riddance.

"

Follow @mcconnelldaniel
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 - 02:05 PM
    Independent Dublin Bay North TD Tommy Broughan has announced he will not be standing for re-election to the Dáil.

His announcement marks the second high-profile retirement of a sitting TD from the intensely competitive constituency after the decision of Independent Minister Finian McGrath to stand down.

The former Labour TD announced his retirement on Wednesday ahead of the noon deadline for the close of nominations.

Mr Broughan said he has been thinking about whether to run again or not for some time but only made his final decision on Wednesday morning when he cancelled his 10.10am appointment to submit his nomination papers."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

2020Vision wrote: »
    Good riddance.

"

Follow @mcconnelldaniel
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 - 02:05 PM
    Independent Dublin Bay North TD Tommy Broughan has announced he will not be standing for re-election to the Dáil.

His announcement marks the second high-profile retirement of a sitting TD from the intensely competitive constituency after the decision of Independent Minister Finian McGrath to stand down.

The former Labour TD announced his retirement on Wednesday ahead of the noon deadline for the close of nominations.

Mr Broughan said he has been thinking about whether to run again or not for some time but only made his final decision on Wednesday morning when he cancelled his 10.10am appointment to submit his nomination papers."

Was that a stroke to ensure that other parties couldn't add another person to their tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The real pity is that Amadan O'Riordain might benefit from Broughan withdrawing

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    He would be expect to be returned now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The ****ing pension age has to go up, its not an Irish thing this is happening all over Europe. When state pensions were first introduced people didn't live long after or even to that age at all, now you have most live into there 80's. The cost is unsustainable and we risk having no state pension in the future or a significantly reduced one.

This shouldn't be an election gambit.

rob316 wrote: »
    The ****ing pension age has to go up, its not an Irish thing this is happening all over Europe. When state pensions were first introduced people didn't live long after or even to that age at all, now you have most live into there 80's. The cost is unsustainable and we risk having no state pension in the future or a significantly reduced one.

It's the planned change from 66 to 67 in 2021 that has brought it to the fore and we've had all sorts of wild promises around it. Based on the 2016 census people are retiring at the rate of about 100K a year, although not all would be OAP only recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It's the planned change from 66 to 67 in 2021 that has brought it to the fore and we've had all sorts of wild promises around it.
    I'm OK with this and I say that as someone fairly near retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Hadn't though of that! But you're dead right, that would be a shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's the planned change from 66 to 67 in 2021 that has brought it to the fore and we've had all sorts of wild promises around it. Based on the 2016 census people are retiring at the rate of about 100K a year, although not all would be OAP only recipients.

And they'll probably postpone the rise for another year but all you are doing is kicking it down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

rob316 wrote: »

I don’t see the issue with the retirement age staying at 65, sure aren’t we going to be finished paying the IMF / Troika related loans before the ageing population Grows much bigger.

Advertisement