Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

House with no driveway, on-street parking - what to do?

Options
  • 14-01-2020 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

I currently drive a hybrid and would like to go full EV. It suits my commute and I could live with using the charging network to make irregular longer journeys.

However, I live in a terraced house with no driveway, just on-street parking directly outside my door. I have a couple of concerns. One is that parking is not allocated, and I'm not always guaranteed to get a spot outside my house, although this seldom happens, so I'm not majorly worried.

Another one is that I'd have to run a cable across the pavement, even though it is only about 4 feet wide. I've thought about the possibility of a clearly marked little "ramp" that covers and protects a cable but have a feeling this may attract attention and leave it open to vandalism, or worse, Ireland's despicable compo culture.

Another (minor) issue is where do I position the charger? Does it have to go on the inside of the front wall of my house? I presume it does. Don't think I could put it outside as it's a pavement/pedestrian traffic etc?

Has anybody done anything similar previously? Is there a way around these issues? Are Dublin City Council helpful I wonder? I'd appreciate input of anybody in a similar situation.

FYI, AFAIK there are no EVs in the area charging in this manner, I've never witnessed one anyhow.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say you'd be liable if someone trips over the cable which they will, you'd probably also need permission off the management company or council. You could wire it in a way that people walk under the cable rather than over it(think clothesline).
    Charge at work if it's parked there all day.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You'd have to get the charger on a pedestal by the parking space. It's doable but expensive. Look Nigel M Daly on facebook and they will have photos of examples on their page (you will pay through the nose if you go with them though but might not have a choice in this kind of set up).

I don't think you will qualify for the charger grant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You can't install a charger as you don't own the parking space. Sorry for the bad news. Unless you have work charging, I would not recommend an EV until public charging gets much better like in the Netherlands

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

JCDUB wrote: »
    I currently drive a hybrid and would like to go full EV. It suits my commute and I could live with using the charging network to make irregular longer journeys.

However, I live in a terraced house with no driveway, just on-street parking directly outside my door. I have a couple of concerns. One is that parking is not allocated, and I'm not always guaranteed to get a spot outside my house, although this seldom happens, so I'm not majorly worried.

Another one is that I'd have to run a cable across the pavement, even though it is only about 4 feet wide. I've thought about the possibility of a clearly marked little "ramp" that covers and protects a cable but have a feeling this may attract attention and leave it open to vandalism, or worse, Ireland's despicable compo culture.

Another (minor) issue is where do I position the charger? Does it have to go on the inside of the front wall of my house? I presume it does. Don't think I could put it outside as it's a pavement/pedestrian traffic etc?

Has anybody done anything similar previously? Is there a way around these issues? Are Dublin City Council helpful I wonder? I'd appreciate input of anybody in a similar situation.

FYI, AFAIK there are no EVs in the area charging in this manner, I've never witnessed one anyhow.

Thanks for reading.

Is this a public path and public road or a management company estate?

If public, I agree with Unkel, no charger on the pavement possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

unkel wrote: »
    You can't install a charger as you don't own the parking space. Sorry for the bad news. Unless you have work charging, I would not recommend an EV until public charging gets much better like in the Netherlands

Yep, it's a public path so, as I suspected, I can't really do much at the moment. It's a pity, but I'm not moving house just to own an EV.

Hopefully DCC will show some innovation and come up with a solution as I'd imagine the uptake in my area (plenty of young hipster types with an environmental conscience and short commutes) would be pretty high.

Also, I work for a government department and there is no chargers at work, and they've never been mentioned. I could bring it up but I'd imagine it'd be expensive and come out of our own budget, not the department's, so that'd be a no.

Thanks all for replies so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,387 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You'd have to get the charger on a pedestal by the parking space. It's doable but expensive. Look Nigel M Daly on facebook and they will have photos of examples on their page (you will pay through the nose if you go with them though but might not have a choice in this kind of set up).

I don't think you will qualify for the charger grant either.

I heard a mention on Morning Ireland this morning that Dun Laoghaire Rathdown have installed some chargers on the street lighting poles, which would remove the need for the cable running across the path, if you happened to have such a pole nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

JCDUB wrote:
    Also, I work for a government department and there is no chargers at work, and they've never been mentioned. I could bring it up but I'd imagine it'd be expensive and come out of our own budget, not the department's, so that'd be a no.
    For starters they can do a lockable, external, IP67 rated 3pin 10-13A 240V socket. Costs 150 quid including labour and the socket at most. The most cheapest and easiest solution for workplace charging.

Can't believe gov department can't spend!
    All gov buildings should have had chargers by now... It's a shame they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its an issue that will have to be addressed sometime.

An awful lot of people live in terraced houses, apartment blocks etc, and have no driveways.
    That shouldn't exclude them from being EV owners.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I heard a mention on Morning Ireland this morning that Dun Laoghaire Rathdown have installed some chargers on the street lighting poles, which would remove the need for the cable running across the path, if you happened to have such a pole nearby.

I think I heard Fingal were piloting something similar, it makes a lot of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

By the sound of it you live in a Dublin City Council area. How much mileage are you doing during weekly commutes and at the weekend.

There is currently a tender out across the 4 city councils for an e-mobilty project. No doubt as soon as a public consultation starts it will be posted here. You are exactly the type of person they should be engaging with. In my opinion we need a number of Dundee style charging hubs to address situations like yours.

liamog wrote: »
    By the sound of it you live in a Dublin City Council area. How much mileage are you doing during weekly commutes and at the weekend.

There is currently a tender out across the 4 city councils for an e-mobilty project. No doubt as soon as a public consultation starts it will be posted here. You are exactly the type of person they should be engaging with. In my opinion we need a number of Dundee style charging hubs to address situations like yours.

Thanks liamog, that's invaluable information. I live in D.7 and drive to Donabate 5 days a week for work, a 30 mile round trip.

As an aside there is a charging point quite near me, just off Prussia At, but it's not practical for me to park there and walk home and then go back and collect car later.

The earlier mentioned idea of charge points in lamp posts is simple and effective, I love it.

McGiver wrote: »
    For starters they can do a lockable, external, IP67 rated 3pin 10-13A 240V socket. Costs 150 quid including labour and the socket at most. The most cheapest and easiest solution for workplace charging.

Can't believe gov department can't spend!
    All gov buildings should have had chargers by now... It's a shame they don't.

Sorry, I should clarify, I'm a teacher and have summers off etc, so while this solution may work while I'm in work, there are periods I wouldn't have access to it unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Charging points on street posts are absolutely the way to go but this does not get around the trailing charging cable in a public place which are a trip hazard (especially in the dark evenings/night) and a compensation claim in waiting.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

NIMAN wrote: »
    Its an issue that will have to be addressed sometime.

An awful lot of people live in terraced houses, apartment blocks etc, and have no driveways.
    That shouldn't exclude them from being EV owners.

Well it should really. It's called tough titties.

slave1 wrote: »
    Charging points on street posts are absolutely the way to go but this does not get around the trailing charging cable in a public place which are a trip hazard (especially in the dark evenings/night) and a compensation claim in waiting.

With the subsidies and the rest of the money being thrown around the cost of burying a single cable under a footpath is small change and there's no reason funding shouldn't be available for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

They have installed quantity 1. It needed a special pole, and special supply, so not exactly straight forward. I believe there are a couple of issues, the supply to typical street lights does not have 7kw spare. Also I believe an earth rod is needed. Finally the charger is a water proof unit, not retrofittable to old poles. It contains a phone sim card and needs to be enabled through a website but is currently free. There is another one in swords chapel lane and one or two in blanch. See plugshare app for photos and details.

In terms of OP there is no realistic solution if you do not have a dedicated parking space. If you had a dedicated space you would need council permission to dig footpath, so would need approved contractor. Your round trip commute is not that large so there may be no real cost savings on switching to EV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

McGiver wrote: »

Could you link to this please? I want to get one for work charging ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

loopymum wrote: »
    Could you link to this please? I want to get one for work charging ourselves

This might do:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07RGVYCVP/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭adunis

Stick a tethered charger up at the eaves/8 foot mark with a swing out boom to drop the cable to the car ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Have you seen one of these solutions? That would be ideal for me too, although a space right outside the house isn’t always guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

It's not worth the hassle of the many issues that'll arise here. If I were you I'd stick with your hybrid. Between idiots vandalising, faking injuries, possible planning issues etc. Those Harris Fowler adverts on Sky TV make Irish people wet and aroused and they go looking for ways to injure their brittle poreclin necks. You could try raise it with the council asking would they supply chargers nearby, but it's highly unlikely they would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Well it should really. It's called tough titties.

12,000+ posts and this is the standard you have achieved :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

It's not worth the hassle of the many issues that'll arise here. If I were you I'd stick with your hybrid. Between idiots vandalising, faking injuries, possible planning issues etc. Those Harris Fowler adverts on Sky TV make Irish people wet and aroused and they go looking for ways to injure their brittle poreclin necks. You could try raise it with the council asking would they supply chargers nearby, but it's highly unlikely they would.
    Elaborate on why not worth exactly please.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I still haven't read any objections to using an anti-trip cable protection ramp. This is exactly what they're designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

12,000+ posts and this is the standard you have achieved :rolleyes:

This is his breakdown of most of the 12k

Soccer 2,079
    Fantasy Sports Arena 1,136
    Motors 856
    After Hours 588
    Buying and Selling 557
    Television (General) 454
    Podcasts 249
    Current Affairs/IMHO 181
    Films 125
    Limerick 94

Bargain Alerts 86
    Other Forum Games 79
    Fitness 74
    World Cup 2018 - FORUM CLOSED 63
    Nintendo 46
    PC Gaming 32
    Mixed Martial Arts [MMA] 27
    Rugby 25
    Radio 21
    Android Devices 21
    Forum Games 20
    Work & Jobs 15
    Satellite 15
    Apple Devices 15
    Three 15
    Computers & Technology 14

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: As always, discuss the post not the posters!

Lumen wrote: »
    I still haven't read any objections to using an anti-trip cable protection ramp. This is exactly what they're designed for.

Absolutely. I agree and think that using one of these is plenty warning etc.

However our judiciary tend to disagree, for whatever reason, and I'm not willing to take that chance I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

With the subsidies and the rest of the money being thrown around the cost of burying a single cable under a footpath is small change and there's no reason funding shouldn't be available for it.

Not that I'm in a hurry to buy an electric car, but there's a green area between my house and the main road where I have to park. There are marked parking spaces, but because there's pedestrian traffic lights directly in front, I have to park at least 3 houses up. Probably 150 feet away from my house. There's 3 parking spots around the back but they are usually taken.

Electric cars are not for me even if I wanted one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lumen wrote: »

Because a cable will still be visible in public and our public like to fall/trip over these things. With our laws I can sue you if I trip over your charging cable in your driveway, sticking it on a public road is asking for a claim. I'm surprised there hasn't been a rack of claims already from people "tripping" on cables at charge points.

Advertisement